Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2018 - February Surgery Support Group

Options

Comments

• Jt3
    Jt3 Member Posts: 103
    edited July 2018
    Options

I am trying to get my strength back while dealing with iron bra and exchanging in September..

• 32B
    32B Member Posts: 186
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi Nursepatient,

That's great news! Now I'm even more excited to get this darned TE out. My next surgery is a week from tomorrow. I'm a little nervous about going under general anesthesia again, but so, so glad to put this all behind me.

I think you're amazing for not getting nipple reconstruction! I'm not that brave; I'll probably go for the tattooing eventually, but it's not at the top if my priorities list.

xo

• Strengthandjoy
    Strengthandjoy Member Posts: 51
    edited July 2018
    Options

I love hearing all the positive remarks about exchange surgery! Mine isn’t scheduled until 10/19 because I just wanted a summer break. But, I can tell I’m going to be VERY ready!

• Jt3
    edited July 2018
    Options

32b can’t wait to hear how it goes and we will be thinking of you

• kaywrite
    kaywrite Member Posts: 38
    edited July 2018
    Options

32B - I'll be with you in spirit - I'm having my first follow up imaging on the same day - I start off with imaging and ultrasound at 7 a.m., followed by MO follow up at 10 a.m.. Nerves.

• mountainmama406
    mountainmama406 Member Posts: 64
    edited July 2018
    Options

NP — glad you are healing well!!

32b — I found going in for surgery again to be therapeutic. The focus is different, I felt repaired instead of destroyed. Another step of putting this behind us :) will be thinking of you

kaywrite — I hope that you’re able to get info on the imaging right away and for positive news

• mountainmama406
    edited July 2018
    Options

On another note. Summer is good. Enjoying the sunshine and pool time with my kids. I don’t notice it until after we get home and I change/have a hand slip over my chest but these suckers are cold after swimming!

• Nursepatient35
    Nursepatient35 Member Posts: 106
    edited July 2018
    Options

Mountainmama, yes they are cold. I really noticed that the other day. Winter in Nebraska will be interesting I guess!

• Jt3
    edited July 2018
    Options

np35 are yours silicone or saline

• Nursepatient35
    edited July 2018
    Options

Jt3, mine are silicone.

• Strengthandjoy
    edited July 2018
    Options

Who has their dates for exchange surgery? Nursepatient, it seems you have led the way and 32B is next? I would love to hear about your decision process along the way. How did you decide on your size, silicone or saline and about your recovery. It makes me so much more comfortable when I can gather as much information ahead of time. Especially from the same ladies that have helped me along this entire journey. X

• Jt3
    edited July 2018
    Options

I am hoping for September 10 after my daughters school starts and the holiday. I chose silicone because it's not supposed to be as sensitive to outside temperature changes. I like to be outdoors quite a bit and I didn't want them to get really cold in the winter or in the water. Right now I have some lyhpedema under my arms to massage and stretch out. Hopefully its just more healing time needed.

• HopefulAC
    HopefulAC Member Posts: 46
    edited July 2018
    Options

hello friends!! Love catching up with everyone and seeing how people have progressed and moving on to their exchange surgeries. I just got the tentative date for mine today —12/10:)) I know it’s still a good far out but PS wanted me to wait longer since I had the radiation on the left side. Today he mentioned that he wouldn’t be able to get them to look exactly the same but he’s going to do his best to make it all even. Anyway wanted to check in and say h

• Nursepatient35
    edited July 2018
    Options

Strengthandjoy, I wish I could tell you I really weighed the pros and cons and did my research on how I chose what I did, but I pretty much just went with the flow. I did silicone because my PS said that's what most go with these days, they're safe, etc. I chose the size because I hated the TE's and just wanted to be done with everything and move on with life. When I got enough fills to be "good enough" and look normal again I said I was done and scheduled my exchange surgery. After surgery was over, a little piece of me said I could've gone bigger but as time went on, I got used to my size and it's my new normal. Overall, I'm happy with the way I look and even more happy to be done with everything.

• 32B
    edited July 2018
    Options

My exchange surgery was yesterday. Nusepatient, I'm with you. I got silicone because it was recommended. Once I knew I wasn't "sick" anymore, I just wanted to take the quickest path to over with.

I had UMX, so in terms of size, I just wanted the two to match, although I think the new one looks a little smaller than the other. have to check with PS when I follow up on Thursday and see what's up with that. I LOVE the shape and the feel compared to the TE.

MountainMamma, you're so right about the focus being different this time. Last time I was so worried for so many reasons; this time I knew my PS really well, and generally felt more comfortable. Plus, the healing time is much shorter, didn't have to stay in the hospital overnight, etc. Everybody with this surgery yet to come, I don't want to say it's no big deal, because of course it wasn't fun. (Also I think they let the new guy in the OR practice on placing or removing my breathing tube. I had a bad sore throat when I got out of surgery that still isn't completely gone.) but for me that was actually the worst of the pain. There was a sharp throbbing at the incision sight like when you cut yourself badly, which has dulled to more of a bruised feeling today. They gave me a prescription for Oxy. I luckily didn't need it, but of course everyone is different. They'll ask you what you took for pain last time, if you got any nausea from the last anesthesia, etc. and try to match that so you'll be as comfortable as possible.

Strengthandjoy, you're gonna rock it. If you got through the MX, you can do anything! Just don't get excited about sporting your new cleavage right out of the hospital. They've got me in this stupid compression bra for a week. Uncomfortable and not exactly high fashion.

• Strengthandjoy
    edited July 2018
    Options

you girls rock!!! Thank you for chiming in and letting me know more about your experience. I’m actually getting excited!

What are the restrictions after exchange surgery? Is their a lifting limit? Any limit on range of motion? Can you shower right away? I don’t have my pre op appointment for awhile and I’m curious.... might as well as you girls who have already walked this trail.

• Jt3
    edited July 2018
    Options

My Dr said its the same as before except one drain on each side instead of the two.

• Nursepatient35
    edited July 2018
    Options

I had those stupid drains for 1 week so no real shower until those came out. Then my doctor always just said to use my common sense (whatever that meant). He did tell me I only needed one week off of work and knew I did physical work and lifting patients, etc so I guess there were no real lifting restrictions. I did good overall and it was nothing compared to the mastectomy. I was mostly affected by anesthesia. They put in a pectoral block pre-op to help with pain which was nice but the medicines they use to sedate a person made me feel "off" and lose a couple days.

• Strengthandjoy
    edited July 2018
    Options

oh no! I didn’t realize there were drains again. Darn!

• kaywrite
    kaywrite Member Posts: 38
    edited July 2018
    Options

Nursepatient - that pre-op sedation that knocks you out really did a number on me, too. They gave me Versed and I lost a lot of time with it and was woozy for a couple days. I asked them to skip it the second surgery, big difference.

So happy to see many of you moving to your final step. What a journey! Big virtual hug to all.

On the lumpectomy/radiation side, I had my first baseline scans three months after completing treatment. It was a nail-biter, but all is clear. Wishing peace for us all!

• simonerc
    simonerc Member Posts: 154
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi Strenghtandjoy, and other pre exchange ladies,

I had exchange surgery 7/3/2018. With fat grafting. 2 hours start to finish. No drains:-). Took one tramodol before I left hospital just in case of pain. Tylenol when I was home. Tramadol just in case before bedtime. Then Tylenol next day. Then nothing! Lipo areas just felt a bit bruised. No pain at exchange site. Could shower 48 hours post surgery. No lifting arms above shoulders for two weeks. No lift, push or pull over 10 pounds for 3 weeks. Then careful lifting, but not overhead, for another week - 8 days from now. Compression garment for three weeks. Seriously felt great and had no problems aside from being bored.

As hard as it may be, follow instructions and don't do too much! I cooked two weeks of dinners before surgery and ordered in/went out a few nights. Basically gave us 3 weeks without having to worry about cooking!

Good luck! Hopefully you will breeze through this! I try to remember that many people have no bad complications or issues so they are not here posting. Hopefully you, and many others, will have a great recovery and outcome!

• Strengthandjoy
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi SimoneRC!

Thank you so much for these details! I know not all plastic surgeons are the same, but this really helps me get an idea. It is wonderful to hear yours went so well!!

I agree, my BMX was textbook- no complications at all. Recovery was exactly as expected. I’m really hopeful that exchange will be the same. I am a RULE follower!

This group really is priceless. I have two friends from my kids school who just got diagnosed with breast cancer and I have told them to jump into one of these groups!

• mountainmama406
    edited August 2018
    Options

Nearing6th month post surgery dates!!! this wasn’t even on my radar until I looked at my August calendar and saw the upcoming appts to check in with the doctors — both the onocologist and breast surgeon. had been a little annoyed that I would need to see them both, but am feeling better about that/going with the idea of two heads being better than one. Cancer seems to have infiltrated my life more than I’ve previously thought and a little anxious about the first big milestone check up. Anyone else have appts coming up?

• Nursepatient35
    edited August 2018
    Options

I will be seeing my oncologist in a couple weeks for a check up. He told me I'd follow up with him for about 3 years. After a bilateral mx, what do they do to check if you'd have a recurrence? He said no mammograms or CT's. I never saw my breast surgeon ever again after surgery. She must've figured the PS took care of all the follow ups.

It is a milestone to be 6 months out. I'm currently on vacation with my family. This is something I didn't think would happen when I first found out about my cancer. I just figured my surgeries, sick leave, etc would take up all my work time off. Hope your appointments go well.

• 32B
    edited August 2018
    Options

My 6 month appointment is coming up too. It really is a milestone.

Nursepatient, I'm so glad you were able to enjoy a vacation. Wishing everyone continued health and peace.

• HopefulAC
    HopefulAC Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2018
    Options

Love seeing that most have moved on to exchange surgery and are doing well:) I’m a little behind bc of the radiation so I will get mine done 12/10. Reading everyone’s posts re transfer and outcomes makes me feel good.

• 32B
    edited August 2018
    Options

Hi Hopeful! When is your exchange? I'm really happy with how small the scar is on mine. My original MX scar had widened from the TE and they fixed it as part of the exchange surgery. I think both marks are going to fade really nicely.

• Jt3
    edited August 2018
    Options

I got the call: Exchange surgery is 9-10-18 at 7am. Please keep me in your thoughts friends. I scar badly so will be interesting for sure. Thankful though. I will take the scars if it means seeing my 7 yo grow up any day. Time is so precious. Omg this has been so hard for me. I can’t imagine how she feels and she is still concerned and probably not sure how to communicate it all. I have tried not to talk about it much and focus on fun stuff. We did a couple small vacations this summer to have some good memories. While I am down I will print some photos. Please share how your exchange surgeries went. I am hoping it’s easier

• 32B
    edited September 2018
    Options

Good luck Jt3. Well be thinking of you on the 10th. I'm sure it will be nothing compared to mx.

• Nursepatient35
    edited September 2018
    Options

Jt3: wishing you a successful surgery and easy recovery. My only advice is to go easy on yourself. I kept hearing that the exchange surgery is a breeze and so much easier than the mx. It is definitely easier than the mx but it is still surgery. I really had minimal pain but felt more effects from the anesthesia and drugs. I had it in my head that I should've rebounded quickly and shouldn't have to be laid up at all. Don't feel like you can't lie around and have people help you and use pain pills if you need them. You're almost to the finish line and that is such an awesome feeling!