Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2018 - February Surgery Support Group

Options

Comments

• Nursepatient35
    Nursepatient35 Member Posts: 106
    edited April 2018
    Options

Day 3 post-op and still feeling pretty good after getting my implants. The most annoying part is of course the drains but hopefully they won't be in as long. It is a weird feeling to have these light implants. I think I almost got used to the heaviness of the TE's so when I woke up with these it felt like there's nothing in there. I would say they are a tad smaller than the expanders but that's ok. My only goal through this was to just look normal again.

• Jt3
    Jt3 Member Posts: 103
    edited April 2018
    Options

NP - ThumbsUp So glad to hear it’s going well for you. I heard that they make you bigger than you will be

• 32B
    32B Member Posts: 186
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Hello ladies. Nursepatient, congrats on getting through your next surgery. I'm glad it isn't as bad as the last one.

I ran the 5k Race for the Cure in Boston this morning and it was a wonderful experience. Pushing myself to stay physically fit was part of my goal and I'm very happy that I did.

It was also nice to see people in my situation in person. I love, love, love our group, in part because I feel I can be truthful and honest in detail since we're anonymous. I actually ran into someone I know professionally and it was hard to stand up and say yes, this happened to me.

I got a big hug from a woman I met who is a 12 year survivor, and heard a heartbreaking and inspirational story from a woman going through her second fight with BC at the age of 33.

Just wanted to tell you guys. I was thinking of you at the event. I hope you're all finding peace and inspiration, and that we find a cure for this thing so that we can think about something else!!
  • mountainmama406
    mountainmama406 Member Posts: 64
    edited May 2018
    Options

PS office called. My surgeon found time on May 15th to do my fat grafting!! Will likely get a second round done in the fall since the first time is pretty minimal since as there’s not a lot for it to attach to, but he wanted to get it all in one insurance year for me. Happy dance!

• 32B
    edited May 2018
    Options

Congrats, MountainMamma! Nice of your doctor to get it in the right financial timing for you!

I had a regular old non cancer related checkup today. Dozens and dozens of times over the last several months, I've walked into an exam room and been told "bra and top off. Gown opens in the front." This time they didn't say anything. I got to keep my clothes on. The doctor wasn't interested in squeezing discharge out of my boobs, feeling for lumps, injecting anything into them, taking pictures of them, drawing diagrams of them, or even looking at them. And certainly not chopping them up.

I literally teared up. It's the little things.

• Strengthandjoy
    Strengthandjoy Member Posts: 51
    edited May 2018
    Options

have you already had your exchange surgery Mountainmama? I must have missed that post. That is so exciting to hear you are working on day grafting now. Please let us know how it goes and the improvements that you may see.

How was your exchange surgery?

I’m trying to decide if I am done with fills and ready to book exchange surgery. I had my last fill (my choice) about three weeks ago. Now, I’m tempted to do one more fill. But, I’m really unsure.... what we’re your deciding factors?

I appreciate you posting... I love learning about other people’s journeys.

• Nursepatient35
    edited May 2018
    Options

strengthandjoy, my deciding factor to be done with fills and do the exchange was how much I hated the TE's. I just got to a point where I said this looks good enough, the fills hurt and I'm done. I just wanted all this to be done with and get on with my life. I had my exchange surgery on the 25th so I'm still a bit sore. The surgery was so easy that sometimes I forget I'm still in a healing phase and do too much. I've been sleeping on my side again since these implants "squish" but then I do feel a bit sore in the morning. The drains for a week we're the worst part but I'm so excited to get all healed up and put all this behind me.

• mountainmama406
    edited May 2018
    Options

strength and joy — I was able to go straight to implants above the muscle with my bmx. From what I’ve seen on other boards here there’s not a lot of plastic surgeons that do this or there’s other factors involved (if you did radiation, skin condition in general, not doing a flap surgery, etc). I somehow got lucky that I live somewhere with one of the best who does.

I’m happy with how they look now. And really if I didn’t do the fat grafting I’d live. It’s to add a little more volume to the clevage area/smooth that transition at the edge of the implant. Since it’s just the layer of skin covering it, the edges are a little more noticeable, but mostly to me. And honestly, I’m excited to lipo that stubborn baby fat away

• 32B
    edited May 2018
    Options

Nursepatient,

Glad to hear the implants "squish." Lying on my stomach with TEs feels weird almost like they might pop.

Good luck with your decision, strengthandjoy. You'll do what's best for you.

• Jt3
    edited May 2018
    Options

Please keep me in your good prayers and thoughts as I do my second TE fill tomorrow. I don’t like pain

• 32B
    edited May 2018
    Options

jt3 how was it??

• Jt3
    edited May 2018
    Options

So sorry I haven’t been online more. I pray everyone is doing well. My second TE fill left me ready to pass out. It’s not every day that this happens. I had cold hands and sweating palms. I don’t feel any pain today. I keep praying doctors help us in the best ways.

• Nursepatient35
    edited May 2018
    Options

Jt3- some fills are worse than others. Hang in there. I had one that I was miserable and the fill wasn't any bigger than the previous. I hope it gets better for you. One thing I did start doing was take 3 Ibuprofen before each fill. It helped for a while.

• kaywrite
    kaywrite Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi Ladies, I'm not posting here much anymore, but a friendly hello - I'm keeping an eye on your progress and wishing you all the best. Peace!

I am 3 weeks post-radiation and healing well - the incision scar looks amazing after the radiation skin peel. No complaints here.

• 32B
    edited May 2018
    Options

Good to hear from you guys. Jt3, I hope things are going better.

Kaywrite, congrats on completing radiation. I can't believe so much time has gone by already. In a way it all feels like the worst of it happened in a dream.

• HopefulAC
    HopefulAC Member Posts: 46
    edited May 2018
    Options

wanted to drop in and say hi to my February surgery sisters. It’s So wonderful that some folks have moved on to their exchange :) I’m in the midst of radiation 16/28 so far. Once I get that done, I can start to refill the non-radiated breast . Then I have to wait about 6 months before any exchange But I’m ok With waiting in order to have the best possible outcome. Love reading and catching up with everyone. Have a great weekend

• Jt3
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi Everyone, the second one was fine. I think there are two more. I feel tighter and harder for sure. It was less pain this time

• mountainmama406
    edited May 2018
    Options

I was feeling normal and busy and sleeping so comfortably again in my stomach for weeks and then today I got hit with the realization that in 2 more nights things will change again. I’m not even that worried about surgery or the recovery, but when you can’t control one area of life it’s so easy to try control another. I’ve discovered that mine is sleep. Like I’m delaying what’s coming and somehow extending the day to delay tomorrow by not closing my eyes.

Is anyone writing about their “cancer journey/experience”. I sort of dislike these terms, but I don’t know what to call it that I do like :/ when I’m not sleeping I like to think that I could be a writer. It’s like the “write drunk, edit sober” but replace drunk with over tired. Anyways, if you’re chronical-ing, is it for yourself or others to read

• 32B
    edited May 2018
    Options

For the weeks I was out of work recovering, I wrote in a notebook every day just for myself, to keep my sanity, but also maybe to revisit and share someday. It really helped.

• Jt3
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hows it going hopeful

• Fembot
    Fembot Member Posts: 59
    edited May 2018
    Options

I got my surgery date: May 22 for profyllactic mastectomy (direct to implant) on my left and to correct the mal-positioned implant on the right.

To fix the rotated implant (anatomical gummy that flipped front-to-back so that the flat side faced out) doc must re-incise, remove it, flush the pocket, re-surface the inside so that it reattaches and heals onto the implant. From what I can discern mal-positioning happens 2% of the time in mastectomy patients. How will I keep it from happening again?

I think I'll wear a tight sports bra for 10 weeks day and night and sleep on my back. It happened in my sleep, so I don't know what else I can do. Any ideas?

It's really good hearing from all of you; I hope you'll keep checking in.

• Jt3
    edited May 2018
    Options

fembot : good to hear;) I lived in med bra for six weeks day and night and with fills happening now give it a break due to the pain and pressure. I have TE though. When I get exchanged I am sure will be more bra time. Hopefully no bra at some point but still wearing it during busy times and off at night.

• mountainmama406
    edited May 2018
    Options

fat grafting went good, but oh man does my stomach hurt!! I’m not sure if it hurts like a diep flap does but it’s soooo bruised. I don’t want anyone touching me it’s that sensitive. Boobs don’t really hurt, probably for lack of feeling but are very beat up looking too. I think it all looks good otherwise, but if this is in your plans it’s at least a long weekend before you’d want to be back to light wirj

• Nursepatient35
    edited May 2018
    Options

Fembot, I'm sorry about the implant flip. I didn't know it could do that. How long after your exchange did that happen? My left side looks a little different than my right after I sleep but then it seems to even out. I wondered if it's because I sleep on my left side. My PS doesn't care if I wear a bra either so I haven't. Did they tell you things to do so that doesn't happen? I hope everything goes well. That really bites to have to go through another surgery.

• joy2
    joy2 Member Posts: 16
    edited May 2018
    Options

Fenbot, sorry to hear about your implant flip and that you have to go through surgery. I had a situation that i went to surgery 10 days after my MBX because of the dead skin. Good luck to your your surgery and fast recovery

mountainmama406 did the fat grafting hurts? I will do the same around September along with a nipple reposition surgery. Do your boobs look better after fat grafting? Good luck to you :)

• mountainmama406
    edited May 2018
    Options

Joy2 — any tenderness I had in my chest has gone, it’s been 4 days. Will let you know when the stomach pain starts to lighten up. Definitely more mobile than after bmx but any movement involving bending at the waist is rough. I’m glad I did it, the top of my chest looks much better with a little volume back in there.

• kaywrite
    kaywrite Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi ladies - just stopping my to wave and wish you all well. I miss our daily discussions now that semblances of normalcy have returned for us all, and so appreciate having this place to stop for support. All is well with me. Hormone therapy is happening for me now, and blessedly no side effects a month in to it. We'll see how that pans out in the long haul. After the radiation burns cleared up, the incision scar has healed nicely and the various seroma and scar lumps in my left breast can now be massaged to bust them up and let my breast settle in to whatever it will look like now. So far so good.

Hope you're all well and you continue on towards your goals. Love and peace to all!

• Jt3
    edited May 2018
    Options

kaywrite-glad the HT is ok for you! I am still staring at my Tamoxifen.

I go Thursday for a third fill. I am walking some now and battling a pulled Hamstring from all the laying around and muscle atrophy. PT started a few weeks ago and I feel stronger but definitely have a way to go

• 32B
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi ladies! Good to hear from you all, as always.

Fembot I hope the surgery was successful today. You're very brave to do this all again so soon.

How's is everyone's arm range of motion these days? Mine is about 95%

• joy2
    joy2 Member Posts: 16
    edited May 2018
    Options

mountainmama406 thank you so much for the information. I hope I will be happy as you are with the result. Lot of hugs to you :)