Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2018 - February Surgery Support Group

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Jt3
    Jt3 Member Posts: 103
    edited November 2018
    Options

Happy Thanksgiving and many blessings on your journeys!

• mountainmama406
    mountainmama406 Member Posts: 64
    edited November 2018
    Options

Cheers to that 32B!! I had my mammogram/ultrasound this month last year. Blows my mind what we’ve all been through and I hope that for all of us seems like a crazy life blip no

• Strengthandjoy
    Strengthandjoy Member Posts: 51
    edited December 2018
    Options

happy Thanksgiving and almost Christmas! Wow! Time is really flying by. I loved reading and catching up with everyone. It is exciting to hear so many of you jump over the hurdles in front of you- inspiring! I had my exchange surgery on 10/23 and it was a piece of cake compared to the double mastectomy. The hardest part for me was the no driving for a month that I didn’t realize my dr would restrict me to. But that is nothing to complain about- it feels amazing to be on the other side finally!!

Have any of you seen the commercial playing currently for this website? In my area they are olaying it and it stops me in my tracks every time I hear it. It truly is the best description of the support I have received from all of you. I don’t always post, but I always read and feel connected and not alone. Thank you for walking through this together. You all helped me be stronger!

Many of us are crossing the year mark soon, since our diagnosis. To me it feels like I’m stepping over a mountain. Itwas a hard climb- but the view from here is amazing!

• Jt3
    edited December 2018
    Options

I hope you all are doing well and have a wonderful Holiday. I was cleared this week from my replacement surgery and it’s a great place to be. Even my doc hugged me that day. Wishing you great holidays and a great 2019

• bella2013
    bella2013 Member Posts: 370
    edited December 2018
    Options

StrengthandJoy, the BCO ad is running in my area. I was in an adjoining room and could hear it. I immediately thought, Wow, that has to be BCO...then I thought it better be BCO. No other BC group can claim the benefits, commaraderie, and sharing of knowledge and experiences like BCO. It’s an awesome ad

• HopefulAC
    HopefulAC Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2018
    Options

hi friends!! I know it's been quite awhile and I just caught up on all the posts since I was last here. I too have to mention what a wonderful wonderful support system you all have been. I FINALLY had my exchange surgery today! Woohoo no more expanders I'm in pain and discomfort now but yes nothing like the mastectomy.

Im wishing you all a wonderful holiday season

• Jt3
    edited December 2018
    Options

Its a good place to be Hopeful AC. For me a little frustrating but I knew it would pass soon enough. I wonder who is left from our group needing exchange? I was very tempting to go longer to be a little bigger but just opted to be same size. I had a hard time with those TE as it was. Especially after hearing women tell me they grew tissue back after removal and reductions. I have some bras with padding that get me where I want if being bigger looks better in certain outfits, but otherwise am enjoying the lighter weight up top. Finishing a five mile run without backpain is a first in many years (since pre-babies).

• MarinaCat
    MarinaCat Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2018
    Options

Hi all, since February I’ve had one revision (which did not really do much) and a terrible abdominal bulge that will be seen by Dr. Denoto in February. I have the football-shaped flaps and I really hate them. I wish I had done more research on the reconstruction surgeries available to me, prior to my BMX.

My question is, has anyone had a successful flap remove surgery? If so, can you share how it worked out and what the PS did? Also, the unradiated, healthy breast that I had reconstructed is now very saggy and flat. After being told that we could do a lift that would bring them up, my PS has done a 180 and suggested that it would be difficult. I feel like he gave me two distinct impressions about what was possible, pre and post DIEP. (I also have an appt for a second opinion with Dr. Israeli.)

Any input on those two issues would be greatly appreciated.

• mountainmama406
    edited December 2018
    Options

oh the holidays!! at least grandma got it out of the way about 5 minutes after I walked in the front door with “how are your breasts?” 🤣

everyone else kept it at “you look good”

• 32B
    32B Member Posts: 186
    edited December 2018
    Options

Haha! Glad you kept a smile on and didn't take offense, MountainMama.

Marinacat, I'm not sure anyone here had DIEP. It sounds painful. Sorry you're unhappy with the results.

I have some news to share with you guys. I'm having a baby girl in May and could not be more thrilled.

One strange thing about pregnancy post-BC is that after all that work to make my reconstructed boob match the healthy one, I'm back to using padding on the MX side as my natural breast grows. I can't wear low cut shirts because the one-sided cleavage is noticeable. Not a big deal, but I'm not a fan of little everyday reminders of what happened. Takes a subtle emotional toll. Anybody else have peeves like this?

I feel lucky to have the breast that I do though, and I'm really hoping I'll be able to nurse her on that side!

• Jt3
    edited January 2019
    Options

32B - Congrats on the baby!

Marinacat - unfortunately I can't comment.

Mountainmama - no filter on grandma? LOL I saw The Mule this weekend and that is how Clint Eastwood is in the movie and many others, no filter..great humor I needed.

HopefulAC - I hope you are healing and feeling as normal as possible.

I am going for oncology followup today...I go they draw blood I sit in a room for awhile and wait they talk I listen they take my money..hopefully nothing new this time.

• Nursepatient35
    Nursepatient35 Member Posts: 106
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hope everyone is doing well. It's hard to believe it's almost been a year since surgery. I know some of you are still dealing with treatments and I hope you're getting to the end of it all. I had surgery on Valentine's day last year so to celebrate a year of being cancer free, my husband, siblings and spouses and parents are all taking a trip with me to Vegas. I guess it's kind of a cancerfreeversary? :). Is anyone else doing anything fun to commemorate the day?

Congratulations 32b! Hope you are feeling good through your pregnancy. It's a pretty amazing thing and girls are so fun!

• Jt3
    edited February 2019
    Options

Have fun Nursepatient! I know many are still going through treatment and look forward to hearing how we can support you. I am going run/walk a half marathon this weekend to celebrate the New Year of being cancer free. I have noticed with the FOOBs less back pain since they weigh less. I haven’t been training hard yet though... just putting in base miles and lots of walking. How is everyone getting back to life and routines? I pray for no recurrences for all of us!! I am still staring at my bottle of Tamoxifen. I had my Mirena taken out in January.

• mountainmama406
    edited February 2019
    Options

haven’t decided on how to celebrate yet, I’ve got tangled up feelings!

Negative(ish)... It’s a huge deal and I know I shouldn’t care about what anyone thinks but I feel like even though there’s support for me and what I went through there’s also the “aren’t you over all that?” crowd :/ oh, sorry ...4 surgeries in one year is sort of a crazy thing. I don’t advertise my history but I’m open to talking about it as it comes up rather than ignoring that anything happened or is changed now. I don’t want breast cancer to be a thing we have to normalize. I struggle with not wanting to make people uncomfortable vs feeling like I need to share you should be proactive towards your health. I don’t know if I explained that right but I’m guessing y’all may have been in this boat at some point through your year.

Positive ...I've made two very good friends this year. Women who were basically strangers to me other than seeing one another to pick up kiddos at preschool. I don't know if because I didn't know them that it was easier to tell one of them I'd be having bmx surgery so taking up a play date offer would be a great distraction for my daughter (and how great is that timing?!). Even though I feel like I've lost a lot I've gotten so much from it. How backwards is that?!

I'm still teaching dance classes. I know I've shared they are a big emotional release. Before my surgery it was my outlet. I've felt that I've held back and not been connecting/releasing how I want to, it's been frustrating but I think it's because I'm still holding onto some of this stuff. I'm hoping getting past 2/13 and saying "yes! I made it!" I can let go of the rest of whatever is still there. Fittingly, our cool down right now is I'm Still Here by Sia, give it a listen!

I hope you're all well and celebrating hard this month 🍾🥂

• bella2013
    bella2013 Member Posts: 370
    edited February 2019
    Options

Mountainmama,

I am with you. My BMX/DIEP anniversary is the 22nd. I don’t feel celebratory...I feel relieved that I made it thru the storm as well as I did. There is that population of friends and acquaintances that consider that “over and behind me” now.

My message to those in my sphere of influence is: “so far I have survived breast cancer...but there is no cure. Don’t tell anyone newly diagnosed that you have a friend who came through it just fine...no problem. It is a shit storm to the nth degree. Don’t sanitize breast cancer like it’s a walk in the park.”

Blessings to all of you fellow Februarians

• 32B
    edited February 2019
    Options

Nursepatient, please tell us all about your trip when you get back. It sounds wonderful!

Mountainmamma, I think I understand. This has been such a strange journey.

How is everyone doing with their new normal? Who's started Tamoxifen?

Also, those of you who lost nipples, how are you feeling about your new look? I've got a silicon prosthesis but it only stays stuck a few days at a time so I don't wear it often since it's a whole process to put on.

• Jt3
    edited February 2019
    Options

i am waiting to see how everything heals to decide on tatoos and such onnthe nipple area. From the get go I was attracted to upper body tattoos and artwork but don’t know all the ins and outs

• 32B
    edited February 2019
    Options

I've seen some beautiful photos of artwork covering mx scars. Probably not for me, but so interesting.

• mountainmama406
    edited February 2019
    Options

32B, I don’t miss my nipples. At least so far I haven’t. I really enjoy being able to go braless without that worry anymore. I wasn’t that attached do them before though and had dreamed of a lift after having kids, was only like a 1% chance of that ever happening with other financial priorities and it seemed like an unnecessary risk. I’m not happy at all that I had breast cancer but am loving my new shape.

JT3, I’ve looked at tattoos too. My thought has always been that I’ll end up with surgery again that would mess up the tattoo :/ I’d like to get something small anddelicate that goes under my arm/along the curve of the breast but unfortunately still have quite a bit of feeling there

• 32B
    edited February 2019
    Options

Mountainmama, that's great that you love the new shape! A silver lining to all this is lucky to find wherever you can!

• Jt3
    edited February 2019
    Options

I asked my surgeon about the tattoes and future surgeries and they are so good they go in from the bottom she said and they can line up tatoos really well so I don’t have any concerns. I just need to figure out what I want so I can get to feeling sexier again. Things are healing and I will scar permanently probably.

I did a 15k Saturday after a half marathon 2 weeks ago and was glad to be back into my life again. I am also happy to report the lighter weight of the implants doesn’t hurt my back like my heavier real boobs did.

• 32B
    edited February 2019
    Options

Wow congrats! That's impressive!

• mountainmama406
    edited April 2019
    Options

I know we’re all not as active here but y’all are my group so this is where I felt like sharing.

I’m in a new phase of sit and wait. Just a few days ago I felt something between my implant and skin, on the non cancer side. Luckily my PS was able to see me the next day. It’s pretty low on my worry radar, but waiting to see what it is or if it dissolves on its own does suck. Have an appt in 2 weeks to see what the plan is. I’m confident it’s just a weird cyst or fat that globbed together, but I still need it out so I know

• Jt3
    edited April 2019
    Options

Hopefully it goes on its own. Massage and stretch! I had some scar tissue to break up about 3 weeks ago around my drain scar. Stretches on the top of the door were the only thing that worked. Weird but all gone.

• 32B
    edited April 2019
    Options

We'll be thinking of you!! Xoxo

• mountainmama406
    edited April 2019
    Options

Plastic surgeon removed my little spot today. It was (at least by appearance, we are sending it in to pathology for peace of mind) an oil cyst about the size of my pinky nail. Luckily not far under my skin so he didn’t have to do much to remove it. From the time I found the first one I can feel 3 others that are smaller. Some aftermath of fat grafting which is common. Did get a fantastic nap in :)

• Jt3
    edited April 2019
    Options

Glad its ok what is an oil cyst

• mountainmama406
    edited May 2019
    Options

from what I understand .... basically it’s fat that doesn’t survive and turns/melts/dissolves/releases?? to an oil form instead of solid. And then your body collects it and walls off whatever isn’t absorbed. It wasn’t painful but was shallow so I could see the bump besides feeling it. There’s 3 others that’s are deeper/spread out that we’re hoping will go away. Usually they do but can take awhile.

Common after breast surgery or when damage is done to tissue

• 32B
    edited July 2019
    Options

Hi guys! How is everyone doing?

Are any of you on Tamoxifen? How is that going if so?

• Kelhab
    Kelhab Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2021
    Options

hi how are i have just been diagnosed with idc in my axillary tail and having the hardest time getting myself together. Cant function. Im 43 and so afraid.