Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2018 - February Surgery Support Group

Options

Comments

• Fembot
    Fembot Member Posts: 59
    edited January 2018
    Options

@ mountainmama406

Warm welcome to the group. We're here for you. I know speaking about your dx makes it more real, it did for me too, but it also means you're taking control. It sounds like you've made decisions with confidence and all there is left to do is keep your mind occupied. All the best to you!

@ MayDayMelK

Sounds like a lot going on and a stressful time. I hope you get that good news!

@ ToughCookie101

Hey, let us know how it goes. : ) I'll be getting tracer dye injection on Feb 1.

Hugs to everyone!

• Jt3
    Jt3 Member Posts: 103
    edited January 2018
    Options

BC, thank you for sharing. I hope your surgery goes spectacular. I am opting for BMX on hopefully 2/21. It hasn't been confirmed yet for me but that is when OR is available as of Monday.

• Fembot
    edited February 2018
    Options

Big hello Jt3, and welcome.

I read your previous posts to get better acquainted with you. From what I read, you have a nice butt. : ) Just teasing. Mine is very flat from a sedentary lifestyle and chronic fatigue so I'm a little jealous.

How are you dealing with the stress of your dx? I hope you have people who can support you.

Hugs, fembot

• ToughCookie101
    ToughCookie101 Member Posts: 119
    edited February 2018
    Options

I will let you guysknow how it goes for sure! Surgery is in less than 8 hours. It is a day surgery...crazy

• Strengthandjoy
    Strengthandjoy Member Posts: 51
    edited February 2018
    Options

I’m so thankful for this group. I know I will really appreciate hearing experiences as we all head into surgery this month. I find it comforting to hear people who have the same diagnosis as me and are treating it the same. My surgery is 2/15 and I feel like I have so many little life details to figure out so my family life wil still run as smoothly as possible. Anyone feel like they have any tricks to help with recovery

• Fembot
    edited February 2018
    Options

Toughcookie101,

no overnight stay planned? Me too. They'll monitor me about 3 hours, then I go home.

Strengthandjoy,

I agree, its the real experiences shared that help the most, not just data and statistics. At least for me. Also, be sure to fill out your profile if you haven't, then customised articles will go in your BC.org inbox with info just for you and your situation. I love this feature. Then you can favourite them or delete them.

Hugs

• Fembot
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hey everyone,

Had radioactive tracer injection today. It was over quickly. After 1 hr wait I was scanned. I think the purpose is to see if there are cancer cells in the nearby lymph nodes.

There's a nice explanation on the Canadian Cancer Soc website. http://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/diagnosis-and-treatment/tests-and-procedures/nuclear-medicine-imaging/?region=on

After that business I was 'marked-up' by plastic surgeon in preparation for tomorrow's surgery. Skin sparring NOT nipple sparring, with SNB. I hope they don't take many.

• Fembot
    edited February 2018
    Options

Toughcookie101,

How do you feel? I hope it went smoothly

• 32B
    32B Member Posts: 186
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi Everybody,

Really appreciate everyone's posts. It's nice to feel like we're in this together.

I'm going in for right side MX with sentinel node biopsy and reconstruction on February 9th.

In August 2017 I saw some weird spots on my bra and thought that I had spilled sauce down my shirt, or that maybe there was something wrong with the washing machine. It took a few days for me to put it together and then it was terrifying. PCP originally prescribed antibiotics because she thought I had an abscess. Several rounds of imaging later, and half a dozen doctors and nurses squeezing goop out of my boob, I wound up having 6 cm of duct removed, thinking that it was a papilloma. Four days later I got the call diagnosing DCIS.

I'm nervous about surgery, hospital stay, recovery, lymphedema, recurrence, tamoxifen, not liking the aesthetic results of reconstruction...

But I'm especially bothered by the uncertainty over whether there is a more invasive cancer present, and the fact that my BRCA testing hasn't come back yet.

Hang in there, ladies! We got this!

• Fembot
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hello 32B,

Welcome to the February Surgery group. Thanks for sharing with us. I'm also DCIS and hope my surgery pathology will only confirm that and not reveal something worse.

There's much to worry over, but things happen one at a time, so I try to only focus on the next stage and not beyond. Try not to worry about things that may not happen.

You had 6 cm of duct removed; what this during a lumpectomie? If you're having an UMX to treat DCIS which is non-invasive Tamoxifen may not be necessary, but you can confirm with the oncologist once one is assigned.

Hospital stays vary, but I'm to be kept 3 hours then sent home same day. Toughcookie101 had day surgery too, today in fact.

I guess I'm next under the knife. 7:45 am tomorrow.

Talk soon,

• HopefulAC
    HopefulAC Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hello. I was dx with IDC 8/30/17. Because I’m Her2+, went through chemo , 6 rounds (first started Sept 27th and finished Jan. 10). Will continue to get Herceptin until end of Sept . Now I am scheduled for double mx with tissue expanders placement on Feb 8, and I’ll have the tracer dye on Feb 7. I know this is something I have to do but am nervous as I’ve never even spent the night in a hospital or been under general anesthesia. Also just want to get the pathology results as they will also be doing SNB. That will determine if I might need radiation. The plan right now is for nipple sparing / skin sparing mastectomy But I was surprised when my breast surgeon explained that during the surgery she will take some tissue under the nipple and biopsy and if anything comes back there and they will take the nipples as well. I know the most important thing is to get out all those cancer cells but hoping we can just stick with the plan. This site has been such a source of information and comfort and just wishing everybody the best in their journey to kick cancer’s Butt

• HopefulAC
    HopefulAC Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2018
    Options

Fembot- good luck with your surgery tomorrow and once you’re feeling up to it let us know how you are

• Fembot
    edited February 2018
    Options

HopefulAC,

Thanks, I was freaking out yesterday but pretty calm today. It sounds like you have a solid plan and a Dr who is thorough. Now go kick some a**!

• Kati218
    Kati218 Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2018
    Options

I'm scheduled for a lumpectomy on the 8th. Radiation 6/8 weeks later and they are not sure about chemo yet. I'm scared to death

• 32B
    edited February 2018
    Options

Thinking of you today, Fembot. I hope everything goes well.

One of the reasons I'm going with MX rather than LX is so that I won't have to take tamoxifen, at least not right away.

Hopeful, looks like we'll be surgery buddies next week. I'm planning on stocking up this weekend on comfy button down shirts and front clasp sports bras. Any other prep you're doing or recommend?

• ItsStillMe
    ItsStillMe Member Posts: 48
    edited February 2018
    Options

Fembot - hope everything goes well, sending you healing thoughts. I’ve already had 2 surgeries (lumpectomy and ALND) and chemo. And the surgeries were by far much easier then chemo. Just take your meds and dont over due it after surgery, even if you feel good you still want to give your body time to heal and avoid any complications.

HopefulAc - one of the frustrating things about this diagnosis is that we a continually find out surprising things that we had no idea about. There are so many variables and caveats that could effect treatment. Hope your margins close to your nipple come back clean.

32B - I found that having all your items accessible at a height you can reach especially since you don’t want to be raising your arms above your shoulders. For example looking for something on a high shelf or in the closet.

Had my first acupuncture session a few days ago in hopes it will help chemo induced horrible night sweats and nerve damage in my forearm which still persists from my first surgery in August. I also met with my MO yesterday for blood work before my last chemo, Feb 6, (hurray!) I need to have my port removed and I asked if my BS could remove it during my BMX on Feb 27. Waiting to hear about that. I hope so because if not that will be another surgery, which would have to take place many months from now because I still need radiation after my BMX. Is anyone getting Tissue Expanders after BMX or MX? if so is anyone getting AirXpanders? Self filling at home expander?

Have a restful weekend ladies.

• ToughCookie101
    edited February 2018
    Options

I had my surgery yesterday and was released last night! Single nipple sparing mastectomy with expander and sentinel node biopsy. I feel like I got kicked in the chest, but I was thinking pain would’ve worse. And i have kickboxed for 12 years so used to pick that feeling for fun. Lol. I’m staying on top of my meds and taking a muscle relaxer too.

My mastectomy shirt was too tight. It made me uncomfortable. The nurse said this is common. A tip I would give is get something for support for the first few days that isn’t as tight.

• Princess0303
    Princess0303 Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2018
    Options

I'm so glad I found this topic . Getting nervous already . My surgery is this coming Wednesday for a lumpectomy on the left. I really hope they get it all and my margins are clear or they have to go back in to take out more. Has anyone ever been so drained before the cancer has even been taken out. I have been so tired for the last 3 weeks. Lucky if I get 4 hours a sleep at night . Not sure if its the cancer or Subconsciously just worried. I'm usually a bundle of energy. This is so not like me at all.

Wishing Everyone the best of luck on there surgeries and recoveries.

Thinking Positve thoughts!!

• Princess0303
    edited February 2018
    Options

I'm so glad I found this topic . Getting nervous already . My surgery is this coming Wednesday for a lumpectomy on the left. I really hope they get it all and my margins are clear or they have to go back in to take out more. Has anyone ever been so drained before the cancer has even been taken out. I have been so tired for the last 3 weeks. Lucky if I get 4 hours a sleep at night . Not sure if its the cancer or Subconsciously just worried. I'm usually a bundle of energy. This is so not like me at all.

Wishing Everyone the best of luck on there surgeries and recoveries.

Thinking Positve thoughts!!

• ToughCookie101
    edited February 2018
    Options

Princess, I was tired even before my diagnosis. Was going to get my iron levels checked as I have been anemic in the past, then I found the lump. Stress from a diagnosis will do that to you too. You’ve got this!

• 32B
    edited February 2018
    Options

Tough Cookie,

Sounds like you a are tough cookie! Glad you're back home! What did they tell you about how soon you can take a shower?

Princess,

I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday. I hope you're able to get some rest.

• Paco
    Paco Member Posts: 53
    edited February 2018
    Options

My lumpectomy surgery is scheduled for February 13. The hospital will call me after 2 pm on the 12th to give me my surgery time. I thought that they'd let me know farther in advance of the exact time but the nurse said that lumpectomies are usually scheduled early in the day and mastectomies requiring overnight stays are later so at least I know it won't be too too late.

One of the pre-op instructions is to shower the night before with an antibacterial soap like Dial or Safeguard (do they even make Safeguard anymore?). I don't know why I'm stuck on that instruction I just thought it was really weird to have me sanitize my whole body the night before. Also, I can't eat or drink anything (not even water) after midnight the night before. I usually drink a big glass of water in the morning to get my bowels moving so that will be a challenge without water or coffee. Hoping for a super early surgery time so I can have my coffee.

Just some thoughts as I mentally prepare for the big day....

• Paco
    edited February 2018
    Options

Good luck Princess!

• Paco
    edited February 2018
    Options

Kati218, I'm so glad you have a surgery date and are going with lumpectomy. I'm right behind you on the 13th and will also have radiation to follow. You're gonna do great - we can track each other's progress here. Best of luck!

• Paco
    edited February 2018
    Options

Fembot

I hope your surgery went well! I'll be anxious to hear how it went. I'm curious about the radioactive tracer - did you have an MRI prior to surgery? I had a tracer injection before an MRI in early January but I'll have a radioactive "seed" inserted the day before my surgery as a tracer. Kind of scary to think of them putting radioactive ions into our bodies, on purpose!

• ItsStillMe
    ItsStillMe Member Posts: 48
    edited February 2018
    Options

kellyoc- you can also use Hibiclens, it kills germs and protects you for up to 24 hours. You can get it at Walmart or CVS.

• Princess0303
    edited February 2018
    Options

32B

I also hope your surgery goes well for you .Hopefully Tough Cookie is recovering well also. Smile

• Mast2017
    Mast2017 Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2018
    Options

hi. I'm new to this site/posting but I'm with ur mom!! I chose no reconstruction..just want cancer gone!!I have lobular carcinoma..had right mastectomy with 4 lymph nodes jan 8. Nodes&margins clear!!!yey!! Go back wed to hopefully get onco results. Hoping no chemo as I guess everyone would hope not! Thx 4 listening & hoping to hear others stories to support each other.

• Princess0303
    edited February 2018
    Options

Thanks , Good luck to you also Kelly. Looks like we are having the same surgery and treatment.

• Fembot
    edited February 2018
    Options

Toughcookie101,...I'm so happy for you now that you're 1st operation is done. What a relief huh?

Lionmom2, .... Good luck on your BMX Feb 7!

Katie218, .... Have the very best surgery experience February 8rh.

B32,.... Good luck on the your UMX the 9th.

I'm thinking about all of you with happy thoughts. 👍🏼

I'm tired, so Ill post about my experience tomorrow.

Kellyoc519, Princess0303, and Mast2017 thanks to each of you for joining the conversation

- ciao