Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2018 - February Surgery Support Group

Options

Comments

• HopefulAC
    HopefulAC Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2018
    Options

princess- when I was dx I definitely felt drained and I too am usually very energetic. A dx like this just weighs on you I guess. Will be thinking of you and wishing you successful surgery and clear margins!

Kellyoc- the Sanitizing is strange but I’ve heard some women also then have to do a sanitizing shower right before surgery while at the hospital— even after they’ve sanitized at home!

Tough cookie- hope you’re doing well and am sure you’re happy to have surgery over with.

32B- Thinking of you as your sx is day after mine.

It’s still me- I agree. During this journey there have been and will continue to be so many unknowns. The one thing I have learned is im so much tougher than I thought. I was terrified when I heard I had to have chemo first and of losing my hair but now I’m past that and I’ll get through this too

Fembot- amazing you’re posting and hope you’re getting lots of rest

To all the women getting surgery this week I’m thinking of you. My anxiety is definitely going up but trying to stay positive and know this is necessary to be cancer free!

Happy weekend all!

• 32B
    32B Member Posts: 186
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi ladies,

I hadn't checked the boards yesterday, because it was my fiance's birthday and I promised myself I would spend one full day not thinking about breast cancer.

It was nice to take a break, but now I'm ready to tackle getting everything ready for my surgery and get this over with. It's so wonderful to hear from you all and feel supported. You all seem like a group if really brave, strong people.

Kelly, I know how you feel about the soap. That freaked me out too for some reason when I got my LX. They just want to be extra sure that the incision site doesn't get infected. One tip I would offer is to take probiotics or eat yogurt for a few days after your surgery. The antibiotics they give to prevent infection kill some of your good bacteria as well, and it can mess with your digestion, give you a yeast infection, other minor stuff you're not gonna want to deal with.

Mast, congrats on your clear nodes and margins. I love hearing good news! Here's hoping no chemo for you!!

Fembot, thanks for checking in. Can't wait to hear the rest of your story when you're feeling up to it!

• kaywrite
    kaywrite Member Posts: 38
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi everyone - DCIS here, too, with my second lumpectomy in two weeks scheduled for tomorrow 2/5) morning. Apparently the stereotactic biopsy nipped a corner of the DCIS, but the 1st lumpectomy (1/22) pathology found the rest of the 2 cm of the anterior section that needs attention. I found out Friday. So disappointing, but the surgeon will go into the same incision and do what he has to do. Still pending followed care, but almost certainly radiation and hormone therapy. Joy. (Not) Following all of you, and wishing for the best. <hugs>

COMFORT item: I bought a microbead neck pillow ( like for an airplane) yesterday. Used it last night to be able to lay on my tummy and side and keep my left boob comfy and immobile. Best $5 investment ever, after testing last night. Also, I bought seamless tank camisoles at Zara that are tight enough to compress, but so soft. They have thick straps, also seamless. Super comfortable to sleep in, especially if you get a betadine Pic: image

and tape rash on the soft rib skin under your arms.

• Princess0303
    Princess0303 Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2018
    Options

Wishing you the best on your second surgery. Hopefully you receive good results.

• 32B
    edited February 2018
    Options

I'll be thinking of you this week, Kay.

Anybody having physical manifestations of stress? I've been really sick to my stomach today. Trying to figure out whether I ate something bad or if it's just nerves.

• bella2013
    bella2013 Member Posts: 370
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi everyone, I am new to this discussion group. I am having BMX with DIEP Flap reconstruction on Feb. 22. I am at peace with my decision. Trying to get some things done around the house before surgery day.

Praying for miraculous results for all who are preparing for surgery

• Kati218
    Kati218 Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2018
    Options

kellyoc19 - I'm very nervous for my surgery. How about you

• Paco
    Paco Member Posts: 53
    edited February 2018
    Options

Kati218, I am too. It's like, shit's getting real now. I said to my husband that I was fine until this weekend and now my fear levels are rising. Nine more days to go .... :(

• Paco
    Paco Member Posts: 53
    edited February 2018
    Options

Welcome bella2013

I see you got your lumpectomy out of the way last month. You are one stop ahead of me in this journey. Best of luck on your mastectomy. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

• ToughCookie101
    ToughCookie101 Member Posts: 119
    edited February 2018
    Options

@32B I was told no shower or bath until the drains are out (looks like tomorrow for me!) and then I can take ashaklow bath while not getting the gauze wet (another week or so). I bought body and face wipes off all sorts before surgery which have been very helpful. Especially to remove the pink iodine/disinfectant from surgery.

Some tips:

-don't forget the stool softener ( lovely, I know)

-I got fitted for a mastectomy camisole before surgery and I way I could do it up after surgery. It is too tight. I had to send a family member to buy a size up and even that was pushing it. Consider getting a bigger size.

-I feel much better in the afternoon, so plan appts, visits and exercises then.

-sleep lots! :)

-my surgery felt like 5 minutes, haha. Try not to stress about the procedure. You literally “go to sleep" fast and wake up in recovery. My pain in recovery was less than expected and was very quickly controlled. You've got this!!

Edit: I forgot to add a wedge pillow has been my saving grace

• Lizzie9281
    Lizzie9281 Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2018
    Options

Ok ladies, My surgery is scheduled for Feb 19. 2 weeks to go! I've seen somewhere on this forum a list of things you need to get to prepare for surgery... does anyone have that list or could point me in the right direction? They should put it in the mod area lol for goobers like me who can't find anything :D

• Fembot
    Fembot Member Posts: 59
    edited February 2018
    Options

Lizzie9281,

There's a list at the top of this page Here

Friends I'll post again soon, I've had migraine for several days so I can't spend much time looking at a screen. I'm doing well, post-op and have pretty good mobility. Pain's under control. DH surprised me with an x-box, but too dizzy/nauseated from migraine to play. What a sweet guy.

Thinking of you all. Sleep is important to well-being so if anxiety is keeping you awake, do ask any of your doctors for sedatives. If you can't get a sleeping pill after a cancer dx, when can you?

Gentle hugs,

• Teaberry11
    Teaberry11 Member Posts: 66
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi All ! I am also new to the discussion and have a planned BMX with DIEP reconstruction for 2/13. BS will do removal of sentinel node during surgery. Which means the surgery may change to TE if nodes are positive. That alone is very unnerving.

Does anyone know the typical wait time for oncotype results after surgery?

Thank you and so hopeful for speedy recoveries for all !

• SorryPickles
    SorryPickles Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2018
    Options

Introducing myself. Surgery on the 16th. It's been a long road already and I feel like I've barely begun. I have a few frustrations with my family supporting me but my friends have been amazing. I wish I could disappear for a few months to recoup but what fun would that be without all of the frustrations of family life??!!

Wishing all of us the most peaceful journey it can be.

• SorryPickles
    SorryPickles Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2018
    Options

Introducing myself. Surgery on the 16th. It's been a long road already and I feel like I've barely begun. I have a few frustrations with my family supporting me but my friends have been amazing. I wish I could disappear for a few months to recoup but what fun would that be without all of the frustrations of family life??!!

Wishing all of us the most peaceful journey it can be.

• 32B
    edited February 2018
    Options

You guys,

When does it start getting better? I just got back from a pre-surgery consult and found out I'll probably have to have expanders rather than going right to implant. I know in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal, but I'm just feel like every time I go to the doctor the news gets slightly worse. I'm ready to be on the other side of this.

Fembot, sorry to hear about the migraines. I suffer from those too. Hopefully they'll stop for you soon.

Best wishes to all you ladies as always. We are strong.

• kaywrite
    kaywrite Member Posts: 38
    edited February 2018
    Options

I got through lumpectomy #2 yesterday - REALLY hoping for clean margins this time. Post-op is 2/16. 32B, you asked about nerves - I went to get pathology for lumpectomy #1 last Friday (2/2). I had a very upset stomach even though I did not feel physically stressed. To put it nicely, went to the bathroom four times - you know that saying, scared ****less. That was me. And that was before he told me he had not got it all and I needed another lumpectomy. Our bodies are fascinating.

Re: the second lumpectomy, they went in through the same incision and took tissue from the anterior upper outer quadrant, which had just been nipped in the stereotactic biopsy. Glued together again. Not much pain.

SorryPickle - support is necessary but can be frustrating. I've had to be careful to steer clear of well-intentioned friends who took my diagnosis harder than I did. I am cultivating positive energy. You're in a good place here!

• 32B
    edited February 2018
    Options

Kaywrite, glad it's not just me lol. Just when I thought being a woman couldn't get any messier. Best wishes for clean margins!!!!!

SorryPickle, I hear you loud and clear. I've had mixed support from family/friends/coworkers. Sometimes it's helpful, but sometimes it just adds stress. Let's keep cultivating the positive energy. I almost never post on message boards or join online communities, but being a part of these discussions here is so unbelievably good for my mental health.

• Nursepatient35
    Nursepatient35 Member Posts: 106
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi all, wishing everyone a very easy recovery and peace for their upcoming surgeries. I am 8 days away from a bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction. I have been good with everything up until a few days ago. Now I lie in bed, thinking and wanting to cry. I try to get a bunch of things done around the house but then feel guilty that I'm not using that time to play with my kids. I probably could use a little Xanax or Ativan but I am on call several days a week for my job. How does everyone else deal with the stress of everything? People ask me questions and try to be supportive but it just leaves me sad and shaky to even talk about anything.

• 32B
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi Nursepatient,

We're DCIS grade 2 buddies!

I also wish people would stop asking about it. It's so nice of them but it just makes me remember it and have to think about it, when all I want to do is try to focus on preparation, work, etc.

I'm 3 days out from smx and starting to get really nervous/sad/mad. Sometimes it seems like there's too much to do and other times I feel powerless.

Do you have a good support system for child care and everything like that so you will be able to focus solely on your recovery? Ample time off work?

• maggie2
    maggie2 Member Posts: 240
    edited February 2018
    Options

32B, I totally understand your frustration and disappointment. I am from the January, 2018 surgical group and had my surgery last Tuesday. Originally, it was going to be BMX with direct to DIEP, then we had Plan B- Direct to Implants. I woke up with expanders! I keep reminding myself that getting rid of the cancers are the priority.

To all of you with upcoming surgeries, let me just echo what so many others have said, “the waiting is the worst”. It is a relief to wake up from surgery and know that this step is now done

• HopefulAC
    HopefulAC Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2018
    Options

Just wanted to send positive vibes to everyone. My BMX with reconstruction (TEs) is Thursday and anxiety is setting in. The unknown and the waiting is definitely the worst but I thank you ladies for making me realize I’m not in this alone.

nursepatient- when I first got dx I definitely thought about it all the time and was a nervous wreck but as time has gone on I realize I can get thru this and goal is to be cancer free. I also focused on work to keep mind Occupied. And only spend time and energy on those who make me feel loved and supported. Hang in there!

32B best of luck on your sx as it’s day after mine.

Hugs to all

• Strengthandjoy
    Strengthandjoy Member Posts: 51
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi everyone. I read these posts at night, before I go to bed. It is so nice to hear some of your thoughts and realize I AM normal. I too have kept myself so busy cleaning, organizing and trying to prepare every last detail I can before surgery 2/15. I think I’m trying to control what I can control. So much is out of our control. I have twin 8 year old boys and it is insane to think through all the details of the next 6 weeks.

Have your doctors told you that you are completely restricted the same the first week as the 6th week? Or do you get gradually released to more independence as the weeks go by? I have my pre op on Friday and I am sure they will answer these questions.

Thank you for continuing to share huge thoughts

• Jt3
    Jt3 Member Posts: 103
    edited February 2018
    Options

Best of luck HopefulAC and we will look forward to hearing from you. I just want to be cancer free too.

• Jt3
    edited February 2018
    Options

Maggie2 thank you for the post!

• Jt3
    edited February 2018
    Options

Nursepatient35, Thanks for the post. My surgery is on the 21st so I have over two weeks of this to go through. I definitely will play more with my six year old and have her snuggle and sit in my lap alot. At night I try to watch TV. I need to find a good book to start as well. I also do some some deep yoga breathing.

• Jt3
    edited February 2018
    Options

It sounds like the surgery went well. I hope you have clean margins!

• Jt3
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi 32B,it's a process to get through. I am getting Tissue Expanders as well. I was hoping to just get the implant.

• 32B
    edited February 2018
    Options

Maggie, thanks for reminding me to put it in perspective. Being cancer free is the top priority.

Hopeful, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. We're so close to having this part over with!

Strengthandjoy, my plastic surgeon told me yesterday that after 2 weeks when the drains are taken out I can shower again. That's a pathetic sounding milestone, but a milestone nonetheless. Depending on how fast you heal, I think you start to be able to do more things after a couple of weeks. I'm a week ahead of your schedule so I'll let you know!

• Nursepatient35
    Nursepatient35 Member Posts: 106
    edited February 2018
    Options

Does anyone have any ideas how soon after a bmx they start filling tissue expanders? Also, I'm a 34A and plan on going to hopefully at least a B. How many fills does it take or how long before they actually do the exchange surgery? I know these are all things I should probably ask my PS but curious if anyone else knows.