Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2018 - February Surgery Support Group

Options

Comments

• maggie2
    maggie2 Member Posts: 240
    edited February 2018
    Options

Nursepatient35, since I wasn’t expecting to wake up withexpanders, I have these same questions. I’ll be asking my PS at the post-op tomorrow.

• HopefulAC
    HopefulAC Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2018
    Options

Today I had the radioactive tracere put in each breast (lymphoscintigraphy) at same time for sentinel nodes portion of sx tomorrow and wowser it stung like heck!! But it quickly subsided so that was good. The taking of images itself wasn't so bad though! Whew

Nursepatient and Maggie- My surgeon Told me if all goes well tomorrow during bmx when he places the expanders (pre-pectoral)he will fill my TEs with air or small amount of saline, then once drains come out he will fill me weekly and said typically he does about 60ccs a week but some people can take more and some can only endure less with each visit . I'm a size B and he said he'd likely fill me to between 350-450ccs but we'd see how it goes. After my TEs get to the size wanted which can take about 6-8 weeks, he says I'll have them in for 2 months and then do exchange . Hope this helps!

32B - I'll be thinking of you Friday!

Hoping to be able to get some sleep before tomorrow and thankful my surgery is bright and early !

Thankful for all of you:)

• anahata
    anahata Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2018
    Options

Mine is on the 15th. I'm doing a bilateral mastectomy and sentinel node biopsy. I have stage 1 invasive DCIS, but they just did another biopsy today. That sent me over the edge. I don't know about chemo yet, we are re-testing after equivocal HER2 results. I wanted the mastectomy because my breasts are so dense it's hard to read mammograms. I'm always having cysts and lumps. Having to do a biopsy today just confirmed the choice. Oh my gosh I am scared. I am a single mom. I feel too young for this. I know I'm not. I'm 47. So scared.

• anahata
    anahata Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2018
    Options

Mine is on the 15th. I'm doing a bilateral mastectomy and sentinel node biopsy. I have stage 1 invasive DCIS, but they just did another biopsy today. That sent me over the edge. I don't know about chemo yet, we are re-testing after equivocal HER2 results. I wanted the mastectomy because my breasts are so dense it's hard to read mammograms. I'm always having cysts and lumps. Having to do a biopsy today just confirmed the choice. Oh my gosh I am scared. I am a single mom. I feel too young for this. I know I'm not. I'm 47. So scared.

• Fembot
    Fembot Member Posts: 59
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi and welcome Teaberry11, SorryPickles, and all new friends to this board.

ToughCookie101, what was it like getting the drains out? What did Doc do to close the little hole? Bet that 1st shower post op is amazing! What position do you sleep in? I tried my back, but just lay awake until I was on my side. I can feel the (gummy) implant ripples when on my side. My foob was soooooo tight, swollen, shinny the 1st 4 days I felt like I was carrying a football. (I'm having other boob done (profyllactic) in few months.)

I'm 5 days post op. I feel such relief. In the weeks and days leading up to surgery anxiety was sky high as you all know. Most of my stress was related to surgery itself, so all those questions have been answered. Now I'm relaxed.

Nuclear Medicine

I was very afraid of getting the radio tracer injection. This is different than dye which is administered at surgery after you're under. I used Emla cream to numb the skin, but it only absorbs 2 mm deep, so only helps with the needle prick. The tracer itself burns as it makes its way around the lymphatic system. The needle is only in for as long as it takes to push down the plunger, so as soon as it's out, start massaging. It really feels better! You know how if you wack your knee on the coffee table, it helps to rub it? Same thing.

Unilateral Mastectomy (UMX) (Profyllactic mastectomy later)

My husband and parents came to the hospital to support me. They were there from the time I registered to the time I went home 6 hours later. I got a ID paper bracelet. My name was called and I was sent to a change room where I wiped myself down with Chlorox sponges. I donned the gown, then a robe, long socks, paper slippers and a hair cap. Then I sat on the bed to receive an IV needle which was taped down securely. The anaesthetist and surgeon said hi and I signed a release form before following the nurse into OR.

I was calm; relaxed even. I looked around the cluttered room and saw big lights on the ceiling, but they weren't on yet. The table had a blue cloth on it. I was asked to lay down. Someone loosely layed a wide strap over my legs. I breathed deeply into a mask which got me drowsy as the anaesthetist started her IV and I fell asleep.

This part's like time travel: I shut my eyes for two seconds but actually 2 hours went by. I had UMX w/ immediate implant reconstruction over pectoral (no TE). I took supervised rest in a post op ward 5 hrs before discharge.

I anticipated nausea, so my DH stocked the fridge with soups and rice pudding; my comfort foods.

TIP: If hospital stay is overnight pack 2 bags. One for hospital comforts, one for ride home. In ride home bag, have a plastic vomit bag, or disposable plastic container, a small cushion or rolled towel to pad the seat belt, and shoes. I had day surgery so I wore my 'going home' clothes to the hospital (even slippers) so I didn't bring extra clothes.

Drains

These are really easy to manage, I'm pleasantly surprised. I got a traveller's money/passport belt and it's perfect for the drain bulb. Safe for sleeping too. Also I bought a small plastic graduated measuring cup for it. The bulb has measures on it, so in fact I don't really need it but still like using it.

Pain Control

I take pain meds as scheduled. If I'm not thinking about pain I move about freely and movement is essential to preventing frozen shoulder. Also, I have fibromyalgia pain to deal with, so 'two birds'.

Sleeping

I bought a 4-pc covered foam sleep system on Amazon to prop me in a seated position in bed. Its expensive, very good and adjustable. Even so I ditched it the 1st night. Let me know if you want more info.

Let me know if you have any questions and best to those in procedure or surgery this week. IT GETS EASIER. Hugs

• Fembot
    edited February 2018
    Options

HopefullAC , I hope you sleep well tonight, and smooth sailing tomorrow.

anahata , Welcome to the discussion. It's a scary time and you face big decisions. You'll find that this community will support you and really help you with advice and encouragement every step of the way. I'm 47 yrs old too, with a dx of DCIS. I had the cancerous breast removed & reconstructed 4 days ago and will do the other soon. I had the SNB too. Warm hugs. : )

I should have added to my previous post a note on >

Lymphedema

I noticed once home that my hand on the surgery side was swollen and the skin shinny. I could make a loose fist. The 2nd day both my ankles were swollen as well. On day 3 post op the ankle swelling went away and day 4 my hand is normal. Relief!

• Paco
    Paco Member Posts: 53
    edited February 2018
    Options

hi anahata

We are way too young for this. I'm 48. :(

My lumpectomy is Feb 13. Just got my preop instructions in the mail today. Shit just got real.

• ItsStillMe
    ItsStillMe Member Posts: 48
    edited February 2018
    Options

I had my last chemo yesterday! 🛎🎉So thankful to finally be done with 6 TC. The bad part is that my liver enzymes are so high that my MO had to decrease Taxotere by 20% and Cytoxin by 25%. I hope my numbers come down before my BMX surgery February 27, only 3 weeks away. And that the rest of my labs are good. Ugg....one step at a time.

• Fembot
    edited February 2018
    Options

itsStillMe, Happy for you that chemo's complete. : D

• Strengthandjoy
    Strengthandjoy Member Posts: 51
    edited February 2018
    Options

Fembot- thank you so much for your post! It is so helpful! Take care of yourself and enjoy the small victorious steps each day

• Strengthandjoy
    Strengthandjoy Member Posts: 51
    edited February 2018
    Options

anahata- you and I are having surgery the same day. I’m doing a double mastectomy too with reconstruction. I’ll have TEs for sure. I’ll be thinking and praying for you on the 15th, it is nice to know someone else doing the same thing on the same day

• ItsStillMe
    ItsStillMe Member Posts: 48
    edited February 2018
    Options

Thank you Fembot! How are you feeling? Did you wake up with a surgical bra?

• Jt3
    Jt3 Member Posts: 103
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi Anahata, I am a single mom as well and this is a scary place to be for sure when thinking about that. My friends are going to help me out and one setup a Meal Train for me. I just can't wait to be on the other side of this. My surgery is on the 21st. Everything sets me off and upsets me at this stage. The Short Term Disability approval call came today and I got hit with the THIS IS HAPPENING feeling pretty hard. I hope you have some friends who can help you. I am 40 and understand the way too young for this. But then I am seeing even younger ladies on here as well and it just doesn't discriminate on age for sure.

• Fembot
    edited February 2018
    Options

itsStillMe,

physically I feel pretty much like my old self. Emotionally I'm great.

I didn't wake up in a bra or any support but just steri-strip and bandages. When I got home I put on a Danskin sport bra in a size larger than I usually wear. I was very swollen and hoped to lift weight off the inframammary crease. It hurt because myskin was so tight. Now that the bandages are off it keeps the drain tube secure.

• 32B
    32B Member Posts: 186
    edited February 2018
    Options

In the car on the way to SMX/UMX right now. Fembot, you are my hero. I was literally throwing things in a bag just now as I was reading your post.

I'm so happy that the planning and preparing part is over. I feel more at peace already. Hang in there, everybody who's still days or weeks away.

Best wishes and gratitude to everyone who has kept me company here this far.

• Jt3
    edited February 2018
    Options

I can’t wait to hear from you 32B. I pray for fast and easy healing.I went yesterday (Everyone) to pick out my C cups for the exchange later after BMX. I can’t get my surgery date to show up on my profile. Anyone know what I did not do?

• HopefulAC
    edited February 2018
    Options

Good morning ladies! Had my BMX (nipple/skin sparing) yesterday with sentinel node biopsy and waiting to be released from hospital. Good news as sentinel nodes were negative for cancer so I’m so so happy and everything went as planned/hoped for so that’s a relief. Though I was very anxious the night before the surgery, the morning of I was actually very calm.

Now I feel so happy it is behind me. Full pathology should be in my Wednesday / Thursday but I’m going to stay positive. Physically, I’m definitely sore but nothing too terrible- like I way overdid a work out- have some light bruising and some swelling . only had very slight nausea but the meds have helped. The TEs were put in but they didn’t fill them any. Plastic surgeon came by this morning and is pleased with how everything looks and says he’ll start filling on 2/19. I’m not all bandaged just some bandages where the incisions are and my doctor doesn’t want me wearing any kind of bra or support system at all until I see him again on 2/19 so that was a little different than what I’ve heard from others.

To everyone who has upcoming surgeries wishing you all the best and to those who’ve had it already thanks for all the helpful tips as I did feel prepared and have had everything I’ve needed so far.

Happy Friday

• Jt3
    edited February 2018
    Options

Glad it went well HopefulAC!

• ToughCookie101
    ToughCookie101 Member Posts: 119
    edited February 2018
    Options

Fembot, getting the drains out was a piece of cake. I only really felt the pressure from them pushing on the site when they removed them. Then just a dressing and some Polyaporin over too and they are already closing up nicely! However it seems they left a stitch in me (from the drain site) as my PS kindly pointed out today and addressed. Oops.

Now I’m dealing with some healing issues and a black nipple. I hope it doesn’t go fullynecrotic...

• Fembot
    edited February 2018
    Options

32B. ; ) Gentle hugs as you heal.

JT3. I'm not sure why your surgery date fails to show on your profile. You put in under 'My Profile' > 'My Treatment', and saved (if required)? Hmm

HopefulAC. YAY! You've cone a long way. You got those SNB results so fast. Mine are a 2 wk wait, along with full path on the 14th. Isn't it weird how afraid we were up to surgery, but the morning of so calm?! I didn't see either of my doctors after surgery and had no instructions re bras. I could see a risk of wearing it too tight, potentially restricting good blood flow, but that's a guess. I just feel like my implant is heavy on the crease...

ToughCookie101. I hope the nipple will be ok. I wonder if there's something you can do to promote blood flow like massage.

• Teaberry11
    Teaberry11 Member Posts: 66
    edited February 2018
    Options

JT3 -- I figured out how to show your surgery details. :)

Open "my Profile" and then go to "Personal Info" scroll down until you see -

NOTE: Adding personal info is private. You can update information to public under Settings.

Tap or click on Settings -- then scroll down to Treatment & Diagnoses Privacy settings -- you can change it to public there!

I think it automatically is set to private so you have to change it if you want it to show :)

Can you tell I work in IT? lol

• 32B
    edited February 2018
    Options

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. Congrats, Hopeful, that it went so well.

Everyone getting BMX is a real trooper, I gotta say. Morning after right side UMX I'm very sore on that side and doing most things with the left.

For those with upcoming, be prepared for a lesson in humility. People will be unbelievably kind and helpful. Don't be afraid to ask friends and family to come see you in the hospital. You'll need help with basic tasks and if you have someone to help with a good sense of humour about it it helps.

A little hopped up on Atavan right now. More detail to follow. Hoping to go home later today.

Best wishes to all, and the very gentlest of hugs.

• Princess0303
    Princess0303 Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2018
    Options

Good Afternoon everyone.

Hopefully everyone is dong fine with there surgeries.

My Lumpectomy went ok. Wasn't a fan of the medicine I was put on. Tramadol. I think its an opiod. It made me really high but I took it for the two days as it did help with the pain. I have been trying to do light stuff around the house but I'm so weak and shaky. Its been three days since the surgery. I hate this feeling.

Does anyone know if this is normal?

• HopefulAC
    edited February 2018
    Options

32B- sending you good vibes for fast healing and agree with you about how wonderful people are. This is most I’ve ever had to rely on others and though it’s difficult bc I’m pretty independent I’m in awe of the kindness and generosity of my friends and family.

Fembot-hope you’re still doing well.

Toughcookie- I hope the nipple is ok too- so much to be on the lookout for.

This morning I was definitely super sore but now feeling better. I’m happy to say the drains have not been as bad as I thought they might be . Going to rest now.

• veeder14
    veeder14 Member Posts: 271
    edited February 2018
    Options

Princess0303,

Good to hear your lumpectomy went ok. The narcotics and anesthesia really make me sick/dizzy so I know what you mean. I didn't take any pain medication once I left the hospital but I it took several days until the medications got out of my system and I just felt out of it. Give yourself a few days from the time you stopped taking Tramadol to feel back to your old self. That feeling of weakness and shakiness is probably from the medication.

• Princess0303
    edited February 2018
    Options

Thanks so much for the reply , Its probably the medication. I will give it a couple more days

Princess0303

• kaywrite
    kaywrite Member Posts: 38
    edited February 2018
    Options

32B, et al -love and hugs. All of you ladies rock, so grateful for your fierce truth and honest words.

Princess3030, I'm on day 6 after my second lumpectomy, and I experienced similar after effects. During the second lumpectomy, the anesthesiologist decided to skip the Versed sedative because it's amnesia-like before and after-effects were unsettling, plus I thought it was maybe behind the two days of foggy brain that followed. I did not miss theVersed, but still felt groggy, even though I was taking just two Tramadol a day. I feel like it was just the anesthesia and general,body punch from surgery. I took 1 Tramadol at bedtime on the third day, and ditto the fourth day. Not groggy, but also no longer in pain. No more pills. Hope you are feeling better.

• Princess0303
    edited February 2018
    Options

Maybe I was taking too many. 2 every 4 hours. I quit taking them this morning and the pain is manageable, so this part is great. I will give it another day for the weakness to subside and see what happens. I really hope my margins come back clean. Its good to know I'm not the only one feeling this way. I feel a little better know

So glad to hear you are doing well Kaywrite.

• 32B
    edited February 2018
    Options

How's everyone's arm mobility post-op? I'm not really comfortable lifting my right elbow even to my shoulder. I think part of that is because the drain is in the way, but that whole side of my body feels stiff. It's a little unsettling. I'll ask the visiting nurse when she comes today or tomorrow.

Anyone have any tips on how to sit up without putting your chest in too much pain? Sometimes when I'm trying to sit up I feel a little like a turtle stuck on its back.

Other than that, very grateful that I'm feeling as much like myself as I am, considering.

Still haven't looked the scar head on in the mirror, but I've seen bits of it from the corner of my eye, and I'm not as sad as I thought I'd be. Although, this is all so new, a lot of the good mood could be the Atavan talking, or the fact that it hasn't really all sunk in yet.

Will someone let me know when they get their drains out? I'd love to have a vicarious party. They're so itchy and cumbersome.

One nice thing I will say about the hospital is that, after all the weeks of panic, getting things ready at home and at work, I got to be purely selfish at the hospital. It was like being a baby all over again. Everyone was so proud of me every time I drank water, stood up by myself, the real basics. My advice, especially to the moms on here, is let yourself be the pampered one while you have the chance. It'll be embarrassing to ask people to help you do things like get dressed, but just this once don't be a hero! You need to heal!

Happy thoughts and gentle hugs to all!

• Jt3
    edited February 2018
    Options

Thank you Teaberry. I think it’s set now. Happy and fast Healing to those that are post surgery. I am still afraid of going under and can’t wait for the surgery to be done. Picking out my C cups and seeing nipple tattoos that are much prettier than mine helped as well at the PS Thursday. The tattoos are pretty compared to my bumpy brown nipples. At first I thought about nipple sparing but once she explained the risks I didn’t think it was worth it since I am going smaller in size and both nipples skin may not survive and the placement could be tough. I just decided against it since on my half marathons I remember all the nipple pain as well as in my long bike rides. I am in nipple pain even if I do too much around the house as well. Being 40 and thinking about it coming back in the next few decades as well it didn’t make sense.