Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2018 - February Surgery Support Group

Options

Comments

• Nursepatient35
    Nursepatient35 Member Posts: 106
    edited February 2018
    Options

I'm 3 sleeps away from surgery day. I'm really trying to not stress about it anymore because there's nothing I can do about it. I just wish after the surgery, it'd be over but it won't be. I live an hour away so not looking forward to post-op visits, expander fills and then another surgery for exchange down the road. It does help hearing others sharing how they're feeling. I hope you all heal fast and have good reports. I'm praying for everyone here who has to go through this.

32B- That's the only part I'm looking forward to is others taking care of me. I'm a nurse and mom to 3 littles so for once it might be nice to be on the other side.

• Paco
    Paco Member Posts: 53
    edited February 2018
    Options

I am 2 days from surgery and as misfortune would have it, I rolled my ankle on a snowy run today. Aside from bumming me out for my recovery plans, it's swollen up huge and painful and I can't take anything for the pain. Such irony. I'm super demoralized right now.

• 32B
    32B Member Posts: 186
    edited February 2018
    Options

Good luck Jt3! A tip I haven't seen yet is make sure you have a loose, long, comfy bathrobe. It's good for throwing on over your gown in the hospital, wearing around the house, hiding drains bulbs under bulk, and more. If you find one with big pockets, you can wear it inside out and pin tbe drain bulbs to it so they stay in place but also pin them to it. Have some big safety pins too. Good luck!

• ValentineBMX
    ValentineBMX Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hello friends I have not met. This is such a wonderfully supportive group of ladies. I decided I must join in and share my story. I have stage 3A invasive ductal carcinoma in the right breast and, on Valentine's Day, will have a modified radical mastectomy with expanders for both breasts. Not sure if I will go nipple-sparing on the left or not because I must lose the right one (comments?). Also, I have not decided between saline or silicone implants (comments?). I do like the idea of the salines being closer to body temperature.

I feel very blessed because my tumor responded extremely well to chemo: 6.2cm to 1.7cm! My oncologist tells me this is great news for any other cancer cells in my body.

I have a great attitude going into this stage as I have had since my Aug. '17 diagnosis. I'm blessed with The. Best. Husband. Ever. And a wonderful support system of family and friends. Of course, I'm scared too. Wednesday is just around the corner. Let's get rid of this stuff!

Best wishes to all of you very special women!

• Fembot
    Fembot Member Posts: 59
    edited February 2018
    Options

Kellyoc19,. Oh no! ankle sprain? Ugh. I have chronic fibromyalgia pain and was allowed my regular NSAD the night before surgery, so you should ask.

MayDayMelK,. Did you get your pathology results yet? I hope it's good news.

Mast2017,. I hope you had good onco results last week.

SorryPickles,. What's the saying? 'friends are the family you choose'?

Kaywrite,. I'm eager to hear about your pathology on the 16th.

Nursepatient35,. I hope you're feeling better and stronger. It can be an emotional decathlon. Hang in there buddy.

Maggie2,. How goes the recovery?

Strengthandjoy,. After UMX, my degree of mobility depended directly on sticking to the painkiller schedule. Post op day 4, I noticed an improvement in how well I could move around incl reaching, brushing hair or teeth, and even able to pull a shirt over my head. Day 7 I can put on a rear-fastening bra without help. Much of the early restriction seemed to be from swelling (which pain meds reduce) and fear of causing pain. I'm improving quickly, despite pre-surgery fears.

• Fembot
    edited February 2018
    Options

valentineBMX, we're so glad you checked in. So sorry to hear of the IDC. Are you a candidate for nipple-sparing (NSM) on the profyllactic side? It may depend on the size you're aiming for, the amount of droop at present and other factors. Here's a link to some articles from the Main BC.org page under Menu tab (right now you're in the Community section).

As for silicone implants, there's choice of cohesive or highly cohesive 'gummy'. Link I had a anatomic (tear-drop shaped) textured gummy placed on Feb 2 so my (limited) experience is with those. My reasons for this choice: Once you remove all breast tissue there's little to hide implant wrinkles, unlike someone only using the implant for augmentation whose fat and tissue help conceal ripples. My friend had regular silicone round implants for augmentation and I noticed the ripples under her skin when she bent over. I didn't know what it was at the time but thought it looked odd. My 2nd reason is gummys are a soft solid and don't leak.

I'm so happy for you that you responded well to chemo. That's fantastic.

About nipples, some want to reduce future risk by removing all breast tissue incl the nipple as the ducts go right up to it, others consider risk low enough to keep it on the profyllactic side. I would have kept mine on the cancerous side and profyllactic both but I wasn't a candidate for reasons in the 1st paragraph. I just think for sex the protrusion is nice and reconstruction does not guarantee it. I think doing them both a the same x helps my chances for symmetry. And later tattoos at the same x.

Best,

• ValentineBMX
    edited February 2018
    Options

Oops, I left off my Dx, Surgery, etc. information on my previous post ... I'll get the hang of this! 😉

• 32B
    edited February 2018
    Options

Welcome, Valentine. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. I'm 2 days past right side MX and have follow up with plastic surgeon Thursday. Will learn more then about my permanent implant options then, but tissue expanded are in for now. I'm glad you have a supportive husband and family. That's so important.

Fembot, thanks for checking in about range of motion. I've been a tad nervous about mine. Can't lift my arm much at all, so it's good to hear it gets better.

• maggie2
    maggie2 Member Posts: 240
    edited February 2018
    Options

ValentineBMX, I wish you peace of mind as you make your decisions. All the best to you for your Valentines Day surgery, too.

Fembot, once I can get these drains out, I think I’ll be doing very well, I hope anyway. One side is very sensitive to even the slightest bit of movement. The tube actually came off the drain bottle earlier today. I put it back on, but then called my PS, hoping he’d tell me to come in tomorrow to get them out. No such luck. It sounds as if your recovery is progressing well

• HopefulAC
    HopefulAC Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2018
    Options

hi Valentine! Praying for you and so glad chemo worked so well for you. I also had chemo before but that was bc of my Her2+ status. I’m 3 days post BMX and had TEs placed but not filled yet. I’ll go to Breast Surgeon on the 14th and PS on the 19th to get my first fill . So far it’s all going ok - haven’t had issues with drains and can sleep on my back alright. This group has been super supportive and helpful. Hope we can help

• ValentineBMX
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi Fembot! Nice to talk with you. As far as I know, I am a candidate for NSM on the prophylactic side but not on the malignant side. The cancer was too close. I will review the articles you recommended. Thanks!

I originally selected gummies, then after further research questioned that decision (implants not falling to side when lying on back, cooler temperature, etc.). My PS intends on 2 rounds of fat grafting to ensure the implants are well covered by my tissue. I too am concerned with implant rippling. I do have some time to make this decision.

I appreciate and agree with your comments on nipple reconstruction. I think doing both at the same time would be best as well.

I plan to talk with my PS on Tuesday (when I go in for markings and measuring) about both nipple reconstruction and best implant choice for me. Your information will make this easier.

Thank you!

• Fembot
    edited February 2018
    Options

Nursepatient35 If you have a close friend or relative who would chauffeur you, you may find that drive not as bad, even relaxing. It might really feel nice, all you have to do is sit.

anahata How are you? Have you received a pathology report?

32B Rising to a seated position is tough after chest surgery, right? I wiggle my butt close to the bed's edge then slide my feet toward my bum and kick my legs forward at the same time. I grab my knee with a free hand and use momentum to get upright. Feel sorry for peeps w/ BMX. If you need info on what stretching exercises to do post op, let me know.

• Strengthandjoy
    Strengthandjoy Member Posts: 51
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi everyone!

These conversations are so helpful! I am confused though... my PS said no arm exercises until my drains come out. He said I have to have T-Rex arms and keep my elbow next to my sides. He said that blood cells (I think) are trying to do lots of work and movement will ruin it. I obviously paraphrased his discription because I don’t understand it all. Lol. I wish I was allowed to move like some of you are describing. Am I the only one who can’t move and streatch for that long??

• mountainmama406
    mountainmama406 Member Posts: 64
    edited February 2018
    Options

Picked my parents up at the airport tonight and managed no tears!! I’m doing good with all of this but has been hard on them being so far away so I was sure that one of them would start some waterworks and then all bets would be off for me!

I’ve been loving feeling normal here ... Oh, cutting your chest open this week? Me too!! A friend told me yesterday after asking for more details of what my surgery really is that I’m being brave. I know what she meant but also don’t feel that way. I don’t feel like the decision I’m making is radical because it’s for my health, for my kids/husband, etc. why wouldn’t I do everything I can to stop and prevent anything else from happening? That’s a decision that feels normal to me. And while I’ve got a lot of support I think you also don’t grasp it the same way unless you’re dealing with it too. So thanks to you all for being here and sharing your stories. It makes it a lot better knowing that on Tuesday there’s other people I “know” right where I am.

I’m feeling good about what recovery will be...prepared that it could really suck mostly ;) I’m feeling a little more anxious for fat grafting to come later (doing right to implant with the mastectomy) - after starting to get back to routines and then have another surgery/recovery period. What’s multiple surgeries been like for any of you?

• 32B
    edited February 2018
    Options

Maggie, yes drains are so uncomfortable. One of mine isn't draining much fluid any more and I'm counting the days until I can get it removed. Appointment on Thursday. Even just one gone will be amazing I think.

I've heard conflicting things about arm movement. The packet they had me take home says raising my elbow to my head is ok, but one of my docs also told me t rex arms. Either way t rex arms is about all I can do on that side so I'm not gonna worry about it until my next appointment.

Mountain Mama, isn't it nice to feel "normal" here? People in my everyday life have been so nice, but they really don't get it. I love getting everyone's updates and seeing how we're all healing together. Those who haven't had surgery yet, feel free to ask anything.

As for multiple surgeries, my only other one was a lumpectomy day surgery, so I wouldn't really count it. Recovered so quick thankfully. This is much more of a process.

• Nursepatient35
    edited February 2018
    Options

ValentineBMX we are surgery buddies. I'm having a bmx that day as well. I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday. My Valentine's days are usually pretty uneventful so I guess might as well do something big that day. Glad to hear you're chemo is over and worked. I have DCIS so hoping this surgery will be the end of it all. I was so stressed a few days ago and now I'm just "over it.". Whatever happens will happen I guess. My poor husband however is now getting pretty worried and I can tell it's taking a toll on him. We'll both be happy to get surgery over with. Best of luck to you and nice to meet you from afar.

• Paco
    edited February 2018
    Options

mountainmama406

We are both scheduled for surgery tomorrow - good luck! I went in for my radioactive seed placement this morning. I was squeezed so far back in that mammogram machine, it was killer. The seed had to go way back almost to the chest wall. That kind of scares me. I hope they can get get clean margins for my Lumpectomy.

• Marengy
    Marengy Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2018
    Options

kellyOC519, best of luck tomorrow. I've been through the lumpectomy and honestly, it was a breeze and the incision healed perfectly. I also was asked to wash with an antibacterial sponge both night before and morning of. I also used the sponges with a gall bladder surgery a few years ago as well as before the Sentinel Node dissection.
    The sponges are to ensure there is no bacteria, etc. so the surgery area is super clean. There is no side effect from using them.

The SN dissection was recommended after the lumpectomy as the pathology showed more cancer than originally thought, so they wanted to know my status. The DCIS as well as the invasive cancer were removed with clear margins. So I hesitated on the SN dissection but did go ahead with it and thankfully, it was clear.
    I didn't realize how much the unknown was bothering me until I received the good news.

I did have a problem healing from the injections though. My breast was quite sore and swollen for weeks with problems around the nipple. It has healed quite a bit now (SN surgery was Dec. 5th) but is not completely back to normal. There are a few small bumps, apparently internal swelling and occasional shooting pain but I've been OK'd to go ahead with the radiation now. Apparently this reaction is rare - all of the doctors seemed surprised and I have been unable to find anything online that is similar. They're used to seeing swelling around the incision sites, but mine were fine.
    If anyone has heard of someone with a similar experience as a result of the injections (I had 4 nuclear early in morning, then 4 with dye during surgery), I'd love to hear.

The radiation therapy was delayed longer than normal because of the swelling and my concern about radiation making it worse, but I do start on February 28th for 16 treatments. I also resisted this but a second opinion at our primo cancer centre convinced me that I should go ahead with it, mostly because of the size of the DCIS.

So again, best of luck tomorrow kellyOC519. Try not to be nervous, take a book as you may be waiting around for a while. I was, twice. Sending love and healing.

• ValentineBMX
    edited February 2018
    Options

Yes, Nursepatient35, let's do something life changing this Valentine's Day! Glad to have you as a surgery buddy. 😀

I've been trying to stay busy to keep any anxiety at bay. Glad to hear you worked thru your stress. We are warriors and can do anything we put our minds to! This life challenge will not get me down. 👍

My husband is having a hard time too. I feel blessed to share life with this man. He is a deeply caring individual and makes me laugh everyday.

I too am looking forward to getting this surgery over. I've been waiting 6 weeks since last chemo. Two more sleeps!

Best wishes to you my new friend!

• Jt3
    Jt3 Member Posts: 103
    edited February 2018
    Options

MountainMama046 praying for you for today and tomorrow for valentinebmx and nursepatient035. I look forward to hearing your updates

• 32B
    edited February 2018
    Options

Valentine and Nursepatient, the anxiety is almost over! Soon you'll wake up already healing!

If you can get your hands on a comfy zip up sweatshirt with pockets on the inside, I've found that to be really helpful for the drain bulbs with a light tank top underneath. If not, wear a regular one or bathrobe inside out for the drain bulbs.

Please keep us posted!

Xoxo

• Paco
    edited February 2018
    Options

ladies, I'm done. Checked in at 6:45, lx done and out of there by 11:30. I will be thinking of all of you who have mx or bmx coming up and sending healing prayers. We don't deserve this but we're strong enough to see it through.

Thanks Marengy, your words cheered me up before surgery!

• Nursepatient35
    edited February 2018
    Options

I'm ready to get this over with. I'm scared but know it will be here and done soon enough. Thank you for the prayers and prayers to everyone else on here going through this.

• 32B
    edited February 2018
    Options

Congrats, Kelly! Treat yo' self the next few days with plenty of rest and your favorite movies/shows. I find it exciting to check in here and see everyone ticking off milestones. Hopefully this will all be in the past for us soon.

• Jt3
    Jt3 Member Posts: 103
    edited February 2018
    Options

yay Kelly! Rest up

• HopefulAC
    HopefulAC Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2018
    Options

Nursepatient, ValentineBMX will be thinking of you and sending prayers and positive vibes for everything going to plan and good healing:)

Mountainmama- hope you’re recovering well.

Kellyoc- so happy you’re done with this part and hopefully resting well.

I see my breast surgeon for first post op tomorrow. I think things have been going as they should but definitely finding it hard to fall asleep and finding a good position. The drains have been mangeable and definitely have used hoodies with pockets inside or a little holder around my neck that surgeons office gave me.

Best to all and Happy Vday to all you lovely ladies

• Strengthandjoy
    Strengthandjoy Member Posts: 51
    edited February 2018
    Options

HopefulAC- where did you find that hoodie with pockets on the inside?

• kaywrite
    kaywrite Member Posts: 38
    edited February 2018
    Options

Kelly - yeah!!! On the other side is a good feeling. I was back at the gym on Monday, a week after my lumpectomy, for some elliptical time, stretching, and light core strength exercise - it felt good to stretch, especially, after being relatively careful after surgery. I wore soft-fabric athletic-like bras pretty much 24/7 for the first 4 days, just to prevent jostling of the girls during the day and while sleeping. Today, nine days out, my breast feels almost normal. I am curious about your radioactive seed, though, as we have the same dx. I'll get my path on Friday, which will almost certainly include radiation. 3 weeks every day has been suggested. I'm just wondering if there were alternatives I should have known about... Take care and let us know how you are doing.

32B, I love seeing you on the other side of surgery, cheering people on. Fear of the unknown is a terrible thing - combined with the word cancer, one of the scariest words to hear, it can be paralyzing. I'm so heartened by everyone here, those who are reaching out, and those who are there. Amazing ladies!!!!

Warm thoughts for everyone heading to surgery, and those who are healing.

• Paco
    edited February 2018
    Options

kaywrite

The radioactive seed was for the surgeon to use to find the margins. I think it's the same as the guide wire localization. I will also have to have radiation, although my cancer center does use the Canadian protocol and the brachyherapy, with the localized catheter placement. I hope to have the least invasive, quickest possible. I hope you do too. Very best wishes for the pathology report on Friday. I should have mine in hand on Monday when I go for the post-op with my BS.

• 32B
    edited February 2018
    Options

Strengthandjoy,

I just happened to already have a Columbia brand fleece with pockets on the inside. Warm and cozy and functional. If you can't find one, using a normal one inside out works just as well. Just clip drain bulbs in with a safety pin also to be sure they don't go anywhere. My nurse suggested using a man's hoodie since the pockets are bigger.

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! Thinking of those of you going to surgery today.