Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

GAWarrior--I went from counting weeks to days to hours leading up to my last chemo. It is an excruciating wait but that day will get here! Now I'm trying to will my hair to grow in faster. You're right--obsessive checking does not help!

• Djt
    Djt Member Posts: 176

Howdy all. Sorry, i just re read back a ways... hello to Carol, and Linda, glad to read your news. So the last couple of days i was dissapointed in my mascara, thinking i need a new tube. Then it hit me. Yep, not the mascara, it's my lack of lashes. Wow, a bit slow you say?? I have just got a small amount of brow, but color them in nicely, hoped and prayed my lashes were going to stay. But I'm thrilled a have a few at least. I hear they are very slow to grow in.

What a twisted world! I just finished my last radiation treatment, this morning and got paperwork for insurance...reading the diagnosis of...inflitrative carcinoma.... brings me to a. Very scary place mentally, even though IV heard the words," you HAD cancer, now you dont". And I'm worried about eyelashes!!! The doctor s have all said it takes a year before you stop thinking every twinge and ache and pain is cancer related. This is so scary.

GAW, Dr checked cyst and lymph nodes, said all was fine, irritation and burn from radiation and prob hair follicles, use antibiotic cream.

Best to all here, we share a commonality only understood by those who walk this road.

• Djt
    Djt Member Posts: 176

to all re HAIR. I have begun to use Rogaine as I read so much on thin hair while on Anastrazole..I have taken the hormone blocking pill for a month now, and my hair is trying to come in, but so dang slow! I am so excited to see the quarter inch fuzzy growing in, up close but then from a normal distance, i still see bald.

I feel that as long as there is SOME alternative, i can deal. I have become accoustmed to my wigs, that they give me a feeling of security and normalcy. I can't discount how wonderfully made and affordable they are, don't fear the wig!

👍👍

• Hello all,

I see lots of updates in the last few days, all good thankfully.

GA Warrior and Inna B, one more to go yeyy. Inna, how are your fingers and feet this time around.

Robin, you must be counting hours.

Duffy, how did the port removal go?

Urdrago, how have you been doing this last week? I hope everyone has some good plans for this weekend, its a long weekend in the US right?

My trip was good. The weather was bad. It poured and poured the first two days and it was freaking cold. The first day, the trip felt like a total disaster. I was in pain with sitting in the car for so long and the wet, cold weather added to it. Second day onwards my body adjusted to the weather. Went for a walk or two. I have bit more energy than before.

I do not have much of the finger pains, bit of numbness, sure. No hair yet. I have exactly 3 eyebrow hairs and 3 eyelashes on my right side.

I have to go for the pre surgery blood works today.

Stay well everyone.

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

Frog - Port removal went well although my left arm is still swollen. I'd hoped it would be getting better by now. My MO is on vacation but other MO isn't too concerned about the edema.

Today I'm having a mini-meltdown. I'd really been hoping for radiation to start this week. My simulation was last Tuesday when I called to check today the RO's office said I'm still listed as in "planning". I know it isn't a big deal but I just really want to get this over with so I had a nicer long cry and then I started worrying that maybe the planning is taking longer because they won't be able to do the accelerated program or the CT scan showed something new. Oh well, obviously it was time for a meltdown.

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

Hi everyone! Duffy, I hope they get back with you soon so things can get rolling. Mini meltdowns are so draining and sure put a damper on the day. I hope tomorrow is better for you

Frog, I hope all of your testing for surgery went ok

GAW- this time tomorrow you will be done!!! Congrats! I'm so bad about keeping up..best wishes to you InnaB and anyone else that is wrapping things up.

Maggie..are you out there? I hope you are healing well. My belly is still tender from that fat grafting. I'm walking a lot , stretching exercises so I feel like I'm doing something at least.

Djt, urdrago, ingerp, engine I hope everyone had a good holiday weekend. I'm headed to a plant based education class tomorrow evening. I'll pass on any tips. Reading a good book recommended on another thread. Broccoli, flax seeds seem to be the buzz words! Have a great evening everyone.

• Duffyzmom, its okay to have meltdowns. Apparently thats body’s mechanism to shed cortisol, the stress hormone. There has been some research and it seems emotional tears contain cortisol in them.

https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/emotional-freedom/201007/the-health-benefits-tears%3famp

DebAl, blood tests were okay, I presume since I have not heard back from the BS. I go in today for the radio isotope injection today evening. Its 4 injections around the aereola. I went whaaaaaat, where now?😳. Anyways, planning to put a thick layer of emla cream before going in.

Then hookwire tomorrow at 8 am and surgery at 10am. Taking one day at a time.

Take care everyone.

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

Hi everyone,

We had a nice, uneventful three-day weekend. I hope you all did as well. We see the MO on Friday. I expect he'll repeat what the other oncologist said last week. That is, that she'll need to be on a AI for the next 5 years or so and have monthly checkups for a while.

Duffysmom, Frog is right. It happens to all of us. It is just releasing built-up stress. Sort of like a volcano or an earthquake :) Both my wife and I have had an episode of that since this all began.

• ingerp

No meltdowns here—just in kind of a funk. I’m 1/3 done with rads but still have 22 left. And it feels like I’ll never see substantial hair growth, although I have some weird longer hairs on my legs just like my head. I think it’ll feel like progress when I finally feel like I have to shave. I went to a yoga class today for the first time since dx—that was six months ago. The journey is just feeling really long these days. :-(

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

wow, so much happening with everyone!

Gawarrior, congrats on being done with Chemo!

Wow InnaB, welcome to the next step in life..congrats.

Frog, not sure why u get so many injections. I will know more about mine surgery later this month. But what's the difference between hookwire and me getting a wire local for the doc. To find the lump?

Hope everyone had a good weekend and a lovely week. It's going to be a short week.good vibes

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Djt, congrats on finishing radiation! Glad cyst, lymph nodes, etc are all okay.

Frog, thinking about you as you have your injections today and surgery tomorrow. Emla cream for the injections is a great idea. Wishing you the best possible outcome for your surgery - let us know how you are doing when you're able to.

Duffy, hope your swelling will start decreasing. Sorry you needed a mini-meltdown, but we all do sometimes. Vent away, we'll listen!

Engine, I'm happy you and Janice had an uneventful weekend for a change. :)

Ingerp, hang in there! This journey HAS seemed VERY long, especially as we've neared the end. I've been in a funk yesterday and today, thinking that my flipping last chemo appointment will never get here. Great that you took the yoga class! Walk away from the mirror and stop checking for hair, lol. :)

18 hours to go until my last chemo. I can hardly stand the wait. It helped a lot that we went to Orlando for the long weekend. Very distracting to be busy with my daughter and son-in-law and friends who came up from So. Florida, but now that I'm back, I just want to be done. My feet and fingers have bothered me more this week and I suddenly am weak (I could barely sweep the driveway last night or hold a dinner plate with one hand tonight). What's up with that? I just keep saying tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow. Thanks for the good wishes, everyone!

Have a good week!

• debal

urdrago, I am guessing..but could always be wrong... that 'hook wire' that frog mentioned is the same as 'wire local'. I work in pre-op and we call it "needle localization". patients go to breast imaging for that about 2 hours prior to surgery. Our patients do come back to pre op briefly (with a large Dixie cup taped to the area for protection) once they are done prior to going to surgery

• ingerp

GAWarrior—so excited for you!! Anything special planned during or after? And you are absolutely right. I should cover all my mirrors for a month. Then I might see a difference.

• Engine104

Hi GAWarrior,

Here's hoping the last chemo comes quickly and leaves without any SEs. It sounds like you had a busy weekend. It takes time to get your stamina back. Plus your counts are no doubt down from the chemo.

• Thank you for the wishes. I am back home after the radio isotope injection. Urdrago, DebAl is right. Bith the procedures are same. About the isotope injections, It isnot 3 injections as I thought, its 1 injection, injected in 3 different points around the nipple. I got around the 6, 3 and 12 o’clock position. The 12 o’clockone hurt the most. It really stings for like 5 minutes then tapers down and feels sore for like 15 to 30 minutes. I did put some Emla cream but only for 40 mins or so. Not sure how much it helped, it was worth the try.

Urdrago, I hope you are feeling better. GA Warrior, you must be counting hours.

Best wishes to everyone here. Will check back after the surgery sometime.

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

Frog, good luck to you!

GAWarrior, wow, this is wonderful! You go, girl!

Just came out of the fog of side effects yesterday. Nothing new to report, except that fainting spells have become more frequent. My last chemo will be next Wednesday, which means that the Jewish day of atonement, Yom Kippur, will happen when the worst SE’s will be over with. I don’t think I can fast this year, though. My son asked me in all seriousness how my sins will be washed away without the fast. I told him I believe chemo destroyed them along with my hair, energy, quality of life, and sense of humor

• hikinglady
    hikinglady Member Posts: 625

InnaB2018 Good explanation for your son. I think going through chemo (I'm in the June thread, but I read others for tips and stories to help me along) is a re-set for everything in our lives. You're in a special Yom Kippur category, absolutely. I think chemo makes us get to make up the rules for awhile. Our body tells us is right to do in order get through it and then heal. Warm wishes to you.

• ingerp

Oh absolutely take care of yourself, InnaB.

• duffyzmom

GAWarrior - Congrats on final chemo

Frog - Glad to hear the isotope injection went well. Keeping you in my thoughts and hoping for a successful surgery.

InnaB - excellent explanation for your son. The chemo has probably given you atonement at the cellular level. Everything I've read about chemo induced fatigue recommends maintaining adequate calorie count so definitely listen to your body as far as fasting goes.

Ingerp - you are definitely an inspiration as far as radiation goes.

• duffyzmom

Wonderful News Here! Radiation starting tomorrow and only 20 treatments! Doing my happy dance Happy

• ingerp

That’s great, duffyzmom!! You and I should be ending around the same time. Won’t it be great to have this behind us?

• Engine104

Hi InnaB,

For what it's worth, my late father was an insulin-dependent diabetic. He asked our rabbi about fasting on Yom Kippur because he'd been advised by his doctor not to do it. The rabbi, an old friend of the family, said it was written in the Talmud that a person is excused from the fast on Yom Kippur (And all Jewish fast days) if it would be detrimental to their health. I remember from that time on, every year at Yom Kippur, the rabbi would tell the congregation the same thing he told my father.

• Batata
    Batata Member Posts: 22

i Everyone! It's been a while, and between traveling, not having my laptop, being exhausted and dealing with jet lag this is the first real chance I've had to check in. Thanks to everyone who gave me tips on staying safe during the traveling! I used face masks, gloves and tons of antibacterial wipes and hand sanitizers. The masks I brought from home caused terrible chafing, too stiff (in the picture) but I didn't dare take it off, everywhere was soo crowded. I bought much better ones from Montreal for the trek back. I took Black Seed Oil for an immunity boost, vitamin C; and Milk Thistle for my liver. I also started taking claritin and what a difference it made!

As scared as I was about the whole thing, I'm glad I went because it pushed me out of my comfort zone. I've been so scared to venture out or push myself physically since my diagnosis and starting the chemo, and with this trip I didn't have any choice. I think I needed to find out how far I could push myself. One result is that I'm passing by work tomorrow (I've been off since my diagnosis), with the same anxiety as everyone else about the high stress, etc, to see about easing back into work.

I love how everyone is pushing forward, it's such a comfort to share in your experiences, I don't feel alone. I know exactly what everyone is talking about, and I know that they understand what I'm going through as well. I've given up for now on the hair issue (I've got some peach fuzz on top, all grey; lost all eyelashes, and about 80% of my eyebrows). I go topless most of the time (when I can) because covering my head just makes me feel clausterphobic for some reason. What's really bothering me is the weight gain. Not what I was expecting, but I suppose it's from turning into a couch potato during the AC, plus menopause? (will not admit to late night chocolate binges).

I'm sorry I'm not great at calling out to each one of you in person, but heartfelt congratulations to everyone ending their chemo sessions, starting surgery or rads, or starting their hormone therapy. I can't wait to catch up!! Got back Sunday night, and had my 6th taxol Monday morning. 6 more to go.

Bless you all :)

• gawarrior

I rang the bell and am now 3 hours PFC. Thank God. The whole chemo and pharmacy staff turned out to clap and to hug me when I rang the bell, including the PA and both MOs. Plus, I got a Certificate of Completion and a gift card to Chick Fil A and to Yogly Mogly (frozen yogurt). Nothing like starting on the health foods right away, lol. Along that line, I stopped at the grocery store on the way home and picked up two pieces of chocolate pie so hubby and I could celebrate. Now the countdown to surgery is on... Also, RBCs went up from 8.9 to 9.4 this week, yay.

Frog, good luck!! Sounds like no fun for the injections, though. I thought the Emla cream was a terrific idea.Thinking of you - best wishes!!

• krissy37
    krissy37 Member Posts: 119

Hello Everyone!

Taxol #12 , Day 1

I made it to the other side! Something I doubted after my 3rd A/C treatment, I wanted to quit. The 3 months of A/C chemo was wicked... I literally get sick to my stomach when I even think about that chemo cocktail. My plastic surgeon told me 6 months ago at my check up, when he was leaving the exam room, "I'll see you soon on the Other side ". At the time I had no clue what that really meant . I hadn't started chemo yet, my first chemo was a week away. Those words stuck with me from that day forward and at about Taxol # 10 , I realized the true meaning of that statement. I can't really explain it...a sense of calm came over me for the first time since my diagnosis . Anyone else had a similar experience

Hang in there everyone! You too shall reach the end of chemo. I read the boards often and contribute here and there, although I think of you all often.

GA Warrior- I noticed our stats are very similar, and we were on the same chemo schedule. Hope you are doing well. I have some mild neuropathy in my hands and the fatigue gradually built up. I'm exhausted and very glad I'm finished today 😊. No radiation for me this time around.

Krissy37

• Engine104

Dear GAWarrior,

Congratulations!

• gawarrior

Thanks, Engine! Love Bill Murray. :)

Duffy - great news - yay for your rads tomorrow and only needing 20 of them! Virtual happy dance!

InnaB, great explanation for your son. As Engine said, I'm sure God wouldn't want you to risk your already shaky health and fast. Maybe a "ritual sacrifice" would work, like giving up something you love for a period of time (ie: giving up chocolate for a week)? Sort of the way Catholics give up something for Lent... In any case, I'm glad you are less foggy. Are you eating enough protein? Maybe that is part of your fainting spells if your blood counts are low? Take care of yourself!

Batata, congrats on making your trip! That was tough and very scary, I know. I went on a cruise after AC #1 and wore a mask, wiped down my cabin, carried hand wipes and let hubby touch everything and I was still panicked half the time, So glad it all worked out for you. Re weight gain, I think its the steroids. They make you swell and make you hungry. To me, I look like I've lost weight in my face, but the scale says I've put on weight (trust me, it's all in the tummy area, lol). Congrats on your 6th Taxol. Rest up and get over your jet lag. :)
  • duffyzmom

Congrats GAW What a wonderful smile!

Welcome back Batata - I'm right there with you on the disappointment with the weight gain. I've been trying to eat healthier and walk daily.

• gawarrior

Congrats on finishing your chemo, Krissy37!! It's an awesome feeling, isn't it? Yes, our stats are similar. Frog on the lily pad and Urdrago are also triple negative (someone else, too - now I can't remember who - sorry!) There are a lot of us in this group, considering tnbc is only 10-200% of bc.

I'm doing well, just some Grade 1 neuropathy in my feet and hands. And very tired. I really debated on getting #12 today due to neuropathy - I can barely stand to touch anything with even a slight texture, my fingertips feel so raw. But, now I'm done and I'll keep saying "this time next week it will be better", lol. I still have surgery to look forward to (not!) next month (doing a BMX like you did), but no rads right now. I guess there will be something else (rads? Xeolda?) if I don't get a pCR after surgery, but I'm thinking positively...

So glad you can relax and put this all behind you! Enjoy being on The Other Side! :)

• debal

WOW, hi everyone! exciting news this evening!! Batata, thanks for checking back in. Claritin worked great for me too. I never stopped it so I like to think it is warding off some of the bone pain from arimidex also. Weight gain ugh. It's all about being where we are comfortable. I gained about 13 lbs. It took awhile. To be honest I do a 15 hr fast at night (and that's when I noticed the difference), dedicated to walking at a good clip and it did finally come off as of last week..so a good few months. Hate to say it but be patient. Your body needs to adjust.

DING DONG GA WARRIOR! congrats! We are all there celebrating with you. Big hug! Engine thanks for the chuckle!! Duffy, happy dancing with you, best wishes!

Krissy, congrats!! I hope the sense of calm is because you did it..and you did what you needed to do for your own piece of mind. We all had different decisions to make none of which were easy. Getting on with life without the 'all consuming worry' is what I wish for everyone. I'm still just sorry that we all are going through this.

Good night my friends!