Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

I also can confirm what hiking lady said. My OC said the exact same thing.

InnaB good luck tomorrow! Hope everything is minimal side-effects for you and you finally get to be out of chemo world!!

Undrago surgery does cause anxiety for sures. All of this stuff does! So it's I am reading your last post correctly after your chemo your tumor did not shrink any? So now you're getting a lumpectomy and having your lymph nodes taken out? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding that. If you were standing in front of me right now I would give you a ginormous hug. Hoping that you get some kind of Peace of Mind and your anxiety starts to drop down a little very soon.

Also I have picked up a magnesium called CALM. Some people say that it even helps with your sleep because you relax so much. I have not experienced that. I am so high-strung most the time that it takes a lot for me to get a good night sleep.

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

Most importantly I wanna say Congrats InnaB..wishing u no more SE's as your body heals. Keep drinking plenty of water make sure to get some rest as needed..

Life, my last post was on a follow up CT from original PET scan the radiology seen spots on my lungs and I needed another scan Aug 31. FINDINGS spots on right lung stable which means we keep watching the spots. And nothing new had appeared in my chest scan.

Rhank u for the info. I will look for that magnesium band tomorrow, added bonus maybe better sleep...

I appeaciated all the answers to flu questions as well as lumpectomy/lymph node surgery. I will follow up with my doc. next week.

U all mean so much to me. Thanks for supporting me.

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

Thank you, ladies, for your support! The last infusion is in 2 hours! I hope my blood tests will permit it. There is no bell ringing tradition at MSK for the chemo people, only for theradiation people. No idea why! But I'll make sure to take a picture all the same.

Urdrago, I also have a tiny nodule on my lung. I was told it's a result of the TB vaccine I got as a child in Ukraine. It was a live vaccine, so my body formed a capsule around the agent. But I was told I'll be watched as well, which is ok.

Love you, guys! Talk to you from the other side soon

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

Ray rah InnaB--I'm thinking that by the time you read this you'll be done!!

GAWarrior--how are you doing? Getting through the last of the SEs?

• InnaB2018

Done, done, done! Here’s a picture of me with 2 of my chemo nurses. I am the tiny puffy one in the abbey cap.

• ingerp

Inna you look adorable!! Congratulations!!!

• Djt
    Djt Member Posts: 176

INNAB🥂🥂🥂 huge CONGRATS to you today🔔🔔🔔

• Djt

LIFE, did I get it right that TODAY IS YOUR BIRTHDAY? I can't hug you from here, but big cyberspace hugs and best wishes!!! Hope the day is as special as you are!🎂🎂🎂

• InnaB2018

Happy Birthday, my Virgo sister! Be healthy! 🎉🎊🍷🌹🥂🥂🎂🎂

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

That's wonderful! Congrats InnaB2018!!

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

Life , Happy Birthday hope you had a wonderful day.

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Happy Birthday, LIFE! Hoping it was a great day and that you got everything you wished for!

Holy cow, Urdrago, you kill me - I LOVE your birthday posts! I'm now sad that mine isn't until next May, lol.

InnaB, CONGRATS on finishing chemo! Love the pic, you look so happy to be done! Wishing you minimal SEs going forward.

Djt, hoping you're doing better now that you're on the antibiotics, etc..

HikingLady thanks for the flu shot info. Also - I know that if you get the flu shot now, the immunity may not last the entire flu season. I've always been told it's better to wait until mid-October or so to get the shot (note: it takes about 2 weeks for the full immunity to build up). And, based on Urdrago's bout with shingles earlier in chemo, we all might want to ask about the new shingles vaccine which can be given at age 50 and up.

Frog, hoping you're feeling better day by day.

I'm doing okay after T#12 - woot, I'm 1 week PFC! It was awesome not to have to fill my cooler with Ice and tromp off to the MO for chemo this afternoon. I had really bad bone pain yesterday - I suppose it was chemo's way of telling me it was still in control and I don't get to celebrate too much yet. Happily, the pain was gone this morning. My fingers are slightly better, my feet still feel like I have socks bunched up underneath them, but that seems to be mostly when I get up after sitting awhile or first thing in the morning. My eyes are crazy dry but tearing at the same time - I almost couldn't see to drive on Monday. I still have nosebleeds daily. I'm still tired, I'm still weak, but each day should get better from here. Re life reassessments - we're seriously considering downsizing. We looked at townhouse this past weekend. It would be a big change from a large house to a townhouse half the size, but I think we may do it. I want to get started weeding out all the junk we've accumulated over the years. I pretty much decided to retire at 62. I've also decided I'm taking more "me" time to do things I want to do, instead of pushing myself to get some project done..

Thanks for listening to my rambling and for your support. Not sure who I missed - I don't mean to ignore anyone! Hugs and positive vibes for hair growth for y'all!

• life1963

WOW! Undrago! Happy Birthday to me and all my Virgo friends out there! Nice! ☺

InnaB you ook adorable! Congrades on stepping out of chemo world!

Gawarrier First week out! Woo Hoo. My nose is still bloody as well. Does not seem dry so I am not sure why. I dont have nose bleeds. Just when I blow there is blood.

DJT hope you starting to feel better

Going to make this one short. Radiation is kicking my butt! I am so exhausted and then I don't sleep at night. I really got to give up and just take a sleep aid. Kicking around taking Lexapro. Anybody out there take it? Did they get relief? Did it work? How long and how often did you take it if you did or still do. Doctor told me today that my arm looks like it's swelling and that I have a small case of Lymphedema starting. Told me to elevate my arm every night, where my sleeve when I clean the medical facility and wear it at night when I sleep when my arm is achy. Darn it I tried to do everything I could to avoid that! It really bummed me out. I still have five and a half weeks of radiation to go! UGG

I got to say I'm really enjoying seeing pictures of different people out here! Looking forward to seeing more of different people as well as the same.

Well I made a commitment to myself that I was going to take something and try and get some sleep tonight. So I guess I better get off of line and get that done.

Thank you all for the wonderful birthday wishes!

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

LIFE, have you tried melatonin for sleeping? I take it sometimes, it puts me out pretty well and it's natural. Sam-E also can help with sleep and there are others over the counter, too (ZQuil leaps to mind - I've used that before). Lexapro is an anti-depressant, not a sleep aid. You take it daily, not just when you want to sleep and you need a prescription for it. Hope you slept well last night! So sorry about the lymphedema, Hoping your birthday was a good one!

• InnaB2018

Guys, what does PFC mean? This site has so many acronyms...

Cranky in the Morning.

• maggie2
    maggie2 Member Posts: 240

InnaB, PFC is Post Final Chemo. Months ago, I found a list of the acronyms and their definitions somewhere on this site. I’ll try to find it again.

Urdrago, I just saw the Happy Birthday greetings you posted. Wow! That’s better than a cup of morning coffee😅

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

InnaB - I've been reading it as post final chemo but I could be wrong. Congrats on your final chemo. You looked so good in the photo.

Udrago - Keep the birthday greetings coming. It makes my day!

Hiking - I'm also a blood cancer survivor. 8 years ago I had R-CHOP for stage 4 lymphoma. TCH has definitely easier to tolerate but even my MO admits I probably had more SEs because of my previous chemo.

I've got the question on Flu shot on my list for my next MO appointment.

Yesterday I hit the 25% done on my radiation. So far I'm not noticing any big issues although now that LIFE mentions it my sleep hasn't been as good but I thought that was due to still dealing with arm issues. I agree with GA I've had good luck with Melatonin.

• ingerp

Sending out good birthday vibes to all of the Virgos!! (But save some for us Scorpios. . . ;-) )

• hikinglady
    hikinglady Member Posts: 625

PFC: Without looking it up, I made up that this meant Post Fu * * -ing Chemo, which is how I've been thinking of it (quite cheerfully in my head), but this probably doesn't match everyone's language use on this forum, so I'm glad to know that it actually has a polite, more repeatable word in the middle!

SLEEP: 2 Benadryl (OTC) can help, and I often use 1 Lorazepam (Rx) which is anti-anxiety but helps with sleep.

RADIATION AND FOOD: Eat a lot of protein and also antioxidants to help w/ cell repair (My MO's and Naturopath's guidance when I had radiation)

CHEMO AND FOOD: I was advised by Oncologist and also by Naturopath to eat 80-100 g of protein a day--helps with cell repair so body is less fatigued because fuel for rebuilding is available. This meant protein gram lists all over the kitchen, and a new way of planning food. I've had fairly good energy, and doctor has said it helped with the things he's checking on the blood panels, like hemoglobin and other things. Surgeon said same thing: eat a lot of protein and food with antioxidants--also helps with healing, also gives the body what it needs to heal that type of cell repair.

FATIGUE DURING RADIATION: Fatigue was cumulative. I had six weeks of radiation in 2003, felt the tiredest 2 weeks after it finished, and at about 4 weeks I started to need about 11 hours of sleep each night, at the end also a nap during those final weeks. Drinking water helps with this and also with cell repair. I remember that about 3 months after radiation finished, I returned to feeling like ME as far as fatigue.

I am now 10 days PFC, and dealing with a severe hives reaction. Im on mega-doses of steroids, which are working so far. Never a dull moment. This started on Day 9 of my #4/Final infusion. Same thing happened Day 8 after Infusion #3, so this final infusion time, I had a slightly different chemo med, (Taxol instead of Taxotere with my Cytoxan), and a huge amount of steroids before and during infusion day, but it has happened again despite those precautions. My game went into overtime on managing SE's, but I light glimmering at the end of my tunnel.

Warm wishes to all--I started chemo in June, but your group on this friendly thread has given me support and knowledge along the way.

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

Morning All! InnaB you look adorable! Congrats!!!

Happy birthday LIFE!

Duffy and GWA, hang in there. Our bodies go through so much. I'm tired of it to be honest

Djt, urdrago, engine, ingerp I hope you are doing ok.

Maggie, I have my exchange post op appt today I'm 5 weeks out. They put me on the books for a 2nd round of fat grafting in Dec for insurance purposes but I guess I will know today if that's a go. I'm still tender in the belly area. I've been stretching and hoping today I can get back to the light weights and start back jogging again with a supportive sports bra. Its hard to believe I've been wearing a bra to bed every night since Feb 12. Hoping one of these days maybe you dont have to? I never asked that question but it still wouldn't be comfortable just yet that's for sure. I'm still trying to get used to the feeling of having these implants .

Take care everyone..

• Engine104

Hi DebAl,

Thanks! We are doing well here. Not much sign of any hair regrowth yet, but otherwise my wife is doing well.

They are having another "Benefits Town Hall" on campus early next month, so I assume there will be changes to our benefits package again. I don't think they will drop our coverage, I hope not.

• maggie2
    maggie2 Member Posts: 240

Engine, I can empathize with your concerns regarding medical coverage.  The company my husband worked for was bought out this summer and for awhile, we didn't know if he'd still have a job, if medical benefits would kick in immediately, or what our situation would be.  Luckily, it all worked out ok for us. Come November, with the benefit signups, we will see what this new company offers.  I wish the best case for you and your wife..

Deb, I've been wearing a bra constantly since Jan 31. I'm 4 weeks post exchange now. At my appt with the PS last week, he said I still needed compression and to continue wearing a supportive sports bra. The compression is more for the fat grafting sites, not the implants.  He won't do any further grafting or revisions, if necessary, for another 6-12 months.  For me, the implants are so much more comfortable than the expanders, though I'm not sure about the final outcome, appearance-wise.  He said it takes time for everything to settle in and heal. I wasn't prepared for how long this recovery is taking, though.  So many of the women on the Implant Exchange discussion group talk about it being so easy. Maybe they didn't have fat grafting? Let us know how your PS appt goes.   

• InnaB2018

Thanks for the transcription, guys. HikingLady, I must say I prefer your version. 🤣🤣🤣.

Happy to hear everybody is on the mend. My side effects kicked in immediately this time. Usually on the second day I am almost symptom free, but not this time. Already had a fainting spell while dealing with a very smelly smoked fish. Who knows, maybe it was spoiled. That was tricky, because I didn’t want to leave it on the counter - it would’ve stunk to high heaven. Had to clean up pronto while the light faded in my eyes. And I was alone! Barely made it to my recliner with an ice pack. Now I am safely tucked in and waiting for my son to come home from school. He’ll have tomake dinner tonight.

• life1963

Innab. I will tell you when I got done with taxol #4 that seem to be the hardest one on me. It took awhile to get my energy and appetite and bearings back. Also took a while for the pain to go away. Now having said all that it does go away. It does get better. When I finished taxol I felt like I was walking on rocks in my shoes and that feeling is starting to subside every day. I would wake up with shooting pains in my legs and I'm not doing that anymore. My face was numb and it is completely back. Just thought I'd give you some hope that you will start feeling better!

Enjoy your weekend everyone this radiation is wiping me out and believe it or not it's 7:40 and this cat is eating dinner and going to bed. I think I'm going to try Sleepytime tea tonight with honey. Fingers crossed that I sleep at least 6 hours or more before I wake up. I will try the other suggestion this weekend when I am not having to get up for Rads or work.

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

hi everyone, engine. Benefits town hall..ugh..we have been through that a few times. Best wishes there. Sorry if I'm repeating but is janice taking biotin and a hair skin and nails vitamin? Keeping the scalp clean with a good shampoo ( I used nioxin) i know she has been through chemo before so i would expect that's a factor in her regrowth. I'm so glad she is feeling better and is on the other side of this. There is nothing you wouldn't do for her and that is obvious.

Maggie, appt went well. I did find out FDA recommends MRI screening 3 years after implants then more frequently after that. I can go without a bra at night if I want. Was told in the end gravity always wins so use my judgement. Things are evening out a little more and I'm cleared as far as activity goes. I hope things are getting better each day

InnaB and LIFE I hope you are feeling better today. I hope everyone has a good weekend. I think of all of you everyday and how fortunate we are to have each other to lean on.

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

InnaB and LIFE - sorry you are both having some rough days. Maybe weekend will help.

DebAL - Wow! Congrats on activity clearance that must mean you are healing well.

GAWarrior and Engine - I hope Florence doesn't interfere with your lives too much.

I'm now #7/20 on radiation and good news is I got clearance for PT for my arm that is still giving me problems. Unfortunately, this morning we learned (Hubby and I) that we may have been exposed to HepA at our local Renassaince Festival. Our local health dept is encouraging all to get vaccine. So I had to call MO to get clearance. Since the vaccination isn't considered live, he is okay with me getting it, which lead to me asking about Flu. He'd like me to wait another month for that one. At that point I'd be 10 weeks PFC (now I'm giggling reading it as HikingLady)

Have a great weekend All!

• Engine104

Hi DebAL,

I couldn't wait until next month to find out the Town Hall details :) I wrote to a friend of mine at HR on campus here and she said she isn't 100% sure, but she thinks it has to do with rate increases rather than something major like them dropping a health plan. I explained what our situation has been and she said she will check with her boss and get back to me. We can handle a rate increase. Moving from an Anthem PPO to Kaiser HMO has dropped our monthly costs almost in half and we're much happier with the doctors and care we've been given than before.

Janice's nails have come back. She had a mani/peddy yesterday :) Her hair is coming in in small thin strands. I think she'd be worried about scrubbing her scalp too much for fear of them coming out. I'll ask her about the shampoo.

Have a great weekend.

• linda2119
    linda2119 Member Posts: 60

Hi, everyone - quick update.

My surgery was on Monday. It was done at an outpatient surgical center - took about two hours. I had a single mastectomy on my left side with an pre pectoral implant. My nipple was spared - although I haven't had any feeling in my nipple since my lumpectomy.

I'm in very little pain - just discomfort. I went home with two drains, one of which never produced much output. I called the PS yesterday and was able to get that drain removed. The other drain will be in until mid next week.

Its difficult to sleep on my back, and I have some soreness where the alloderm was stitched to my muscle, but it is all tolerable I'm generally pleased with the look of the implant, but I'm not sure yet on the feel of it. It feels like a blob is on my left side, which I guess is what it is....

And the best news - pathology report came back normal! I'm so relieved. I haven't been able to see the report, so I don't know if it is that there was no evidence of cancer or if there was evidence of cancer killed by the chemo. I guess it doesn't make a difference, but I'd like to know anyhow.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

• life1963

Undrago - How did you opt go today.

Engine - I beat Janice loved her pedi. I need one but my nails are still struggling to get back in shape.

Linda2019 - Awsome news about pathology!

Wii catchup with everyone else later. Gotta work my cleaning job tonight when all I want to do is 🛀😴

• Djt

Linda, that is great news for you. Heal well, i hope your discomfort fades soon. It's amazing what just a few days can change thngs too.