Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

Ingerp, I have to say, you look very nice without hair! You remind me of these beautiful women in Black Panther movie I watched recently with my husband and son. While my men were discussing special effects and technology, I was thinking how attractive all these actresses look with little or no hair. To each its own, I guess 😜.

All my fuzzies on the scalp disappeared a couple of days ago. Started using castor oil on my lashes and eyebrows. Will let you know whether it works.

Are Anybody’s feet swollen after chemo? Mine are completely shapeless. I still walk and exercise, but the moment I take my sneakers off, swelling comes back. Looks disgusting. My fingers are also a little puffed. Hopefully this water retention will go away at some point.

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

Hi Djt,

Janice has an appointment with her surgeon tomorrow. We'll see what he says.

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

Inna I’d go out as is if I didn’t think I’d scare children. ;-)

Re: swelling, I haven’t had any but the last time I had a long flight and had swollen feet/ankles I laid down, put my legs up, and massaged that area, kind of pushing down on it to try to move it up my legs. It really helped. Gravity is not our friend with swollen feet.

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

Engine, how did Janice apt. Go??

• Engine104

Hi Urdrago,

Thanks for asking. The surgeon said that it takes time for a patient's counts to rise after chemo. He thinks that the incision is still leaking a little because of that. He wants to check it again in a month and if there is no change he may open it back up to see what's going on, but he is pretty sure it is just her counts still being affected by the chemo.

In the meantime, the UTI cultures came back and they want my wife to start Bactrim, which is an antibiotic geared to what the bacteria is.

She should still be able to go back to work on Monday. WE counted it up and she's been off work for 26 weeks.

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

Morning everyone! engine, maybe it will be good for janice to get back to work. I'm glad she can work from home a few days a week. Encourage her to drink lots of water while on the bactrim

InnaB, YES! on the swelling. I finally got a prescription for water pill and took it maybe 3-4 times a week for about a month. I went to the provider most likely to write the prescription lol. It really helped. Told him I just needed a little help to get this fluid off. I remember I was patient and waited for a few weeks after chemo b4 I finally asked. And I agree about the black panther. They bald women did look pretty bad assed lol

Ingerp you would not scare children !!

Hope everyone has a nice relaxing weekend, deb

• ingerp

Well at rads yesterday for some reason in the changing room the light hit my head and I almost had half a thought that I could go out like that. Despite not having much hair yet I do feel like I'm getting close. We'll see where my head's at on Wed, my final check-in with my RO before finishing on Thu. She's been very sweet about looking at my head, telling me what she thinks, even took a picture of the back of my head to show me. I've always been an either-it's-jacket-weather-or-it's-not kind of gal. I'd wait until I knew the heat was gone for good before breaking out coats/jackets. Once I decide to ditch the headgear it is never going back on. (Okay maybe til winter. . . ;-) )

• urdrago71

Ingerp, I had to grab the headgear out to keep warmth in. It's been down it the 40's during evenings and I dont have enuff hair to keep me warm.

Btw: is there a website for donating headgear?

• ingerp

Urdrago that’s a great question. A co-worker of my husband’s gave me a whole bag of hats/what-not I’ve never worn. I’d love to donate it to someone.

BTW—I’m leaving for a work trip two weeks from today and the thought has been growing in my head that I won’t pack any headgear. I also have a Herceptin infusion the Friday before (10/12) and certainly that would be a sympathetic audience. I’ll be exactly 10 weeks PFC and am sure I won’t have as much hair as I’d like before crossing to the other side, but I might just make that the day

• linda2119
    linda2119 Member Posts: 60

Hi, all -

I've been wigless since Wednesday! I've had decent hair growth, it's still very short but looks like a very short pixie - almost intentional! It is so liberating for me. I felt much more authentic with my short hair than I did with the wig. At first, I kept telling people that this was my chemo haircut, but after a day of that, I was done. No more apologies. You may remember that during my vacation in NYC, I went "topless." That really broke the ice for me and gave me a lot more confidence. My eyelashes and eyebrows are coming in as well, although my eyebrows are completely black, not brown, so it is taking some getting used to.

I urge you all to try it - it's worth it.

Linda

• ingerp

Congratulations Linda!! That must feel awesome. I’m sure you look adorable. :-)

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

Cute head DJT perhaps we will get to see your lovely face someday. ;)

Ingerp. You look really good! I think you could easily ditch the cap for sure!

Engine What a frustrating answer that is regarding Janice drainage issues! Ugg.

Congrades Ingerp and Frog for getting so close to being done. I still have 15 more to go. My skin looks ok but my arm pit is sore and of course my arm is achy. Wish I could figure out a pain reliever that is not a narcotic.

GaWarrier How are you doing?

Undrago are you still working from home? If you are I bet your fur baby is loving life.

I had a very enjoyable weekend. My sister came up and we hung out and just did little odds and ends. It was so nice just to have her here. She came up and took care of me during my chemo sometimes when my SO could not. Even though I'm doing radiation, unlike chemo, we got to go do some things like shopping and just running errands and she even went to my second job with me and helped me clean this weekend. (I snuck some money in her purse for helping me) Then we got all wrapped up in silly shows on the TV and just talked and giggled until midnight for 2 nights straight. It was nice!

Well I have to get a few things done before bed tonight.

Hope you all had a very nice, relaxing weekend!

• Engine104

Hi Life1963,

What the doctor said is frustrating, but it makes sense, I guess.

Janice goes back to work tomorrow. She's nervous about it and I'm worried about the stress of her job.

It sound like you had a nice weekend with your sister. We went to a close friend's party for their new baby granddaughter. I hope you all had a nice weekend.

Anyway, since we are posting pictures, here is us about a year before diagnosis this past March at our favorite restaurant.

• Frog-on-the-lilypad
    Frog-on-the-lilypad Member Posts: 159

Beautiful pictures everyone. Love the hair growth pics. Engine, you guys make a lovely couple.

Like Djt said, I feel I am back home when I read all the posts in the group.

I had my RO appointment and mapping last week. They will send in the treatment plan sometime this week. 15 for the whole breast with 5 boosts.

InnaB, I had swollen feet. Infact, on more than 2 occassions I could not take my boots off as they were stuck.

My nails are coming back, and coming back pink and normal. I still feel the numbness. Hair has turned black from the peach fuzz state. Eyelashes are back big time. I had one left around my surgery. Eyebows look like shadows. Atleast now I know where to draw.

He hehe, I have a weird shaped head. This is now at 7 weeks PFCimage

• ingerp

Life that sounds like a wonderful weekend!!

Frog--that looks great! I'm getting more committed to throwing the towel in next Friday, regardless of how much of my stupid scalp is showing. I've been sending my kids pics from my Herceptin infusions--I figure with three weeks in between they should see some change in my hair--so I'll post one here. Eleven more days and counting!!

• InnaB2018

Engine, what a great picture of you and Janice!

Frog, yay for the hair! Happy to eat that eyelashes are coming in as well. See you in the October radiation group.

Life, glad you had a great weekend. I had a very quiet one. Made a great Uzbek plov in my Instant Pot. Everybody had a second helping, that’s how good it was.

Well, must run to the basement - my Pilates video is waiting for me

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

I love seeing everyone's pics! You all look great and I love putting a face with the names. Looks like everyone had a good weekend. InnaB, your Uzbek ploz looks yummy (I looked up a recipe online).

Engine, how did Janice do at work today? I'm sure she was thrilled just to get back to doing something "productive," not that the first day back would be after 26 weeks away. I'm sure she spent the day talking to everyone who came by to see how she's doing.

Congrats to those brave enough to go topless. My fuzzies are very light in color...about half an inch long, but still sparse. No wig ditching for me for the foreseeable future. My eyelashes are returning and I have some peach fuzz eyebrows (the ones in the picture are drawn on). I had a lady come up to me while I was having breakfast in a nearby diner this past Saturday (because I was wearing a tight cap and clearly had no hair). She asked if I was going through cancer treatment, then told me she was triple positive (which is as bad as my triple negative). She's 5 years out from treatment and doing well. And wished me well. That was very nice and I was in a space where it was great to have her give me a boost and show me that not everyone recurs. I keep feeling like the cancer is coming back while I wait for surgery, even though the MRI shows that it isn't..

Yep, swollen feet here. I finally went back to running last week (did 5 miles running/walking combo yesterday - it felt so good to do something normal). I'm 3.5 weeks PFC and now my feet are swollen from the running. I don't care, I'm still doing it.

I finalized plans with the BS today for my BMX surgery on 10/19. I'm anxious to get going with it now and get it behind me.

Urdrago, I'll be thinking of you on Friday - good luck!

Have a great week everyone!

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

hi everyone, I went back to look through all the pics again. Everyone looks great! GAW you have fuzzies! It's nice to see everyone. I had an Express color on my hair. The back is starting getting wavy so I think the chemo curls are next.

Engine, I hope janice had a good day at work. Let us know how it went.

I'm heading to the beach Wed morning for 12 days. I will send a nice beach pic next week. Really looking forward to disconnecting a bit and my only concern being which way to turn my beach chair. Looking forward to long walks, a few runs, sunrises, sunsets, a good book and seafood. I actually took 3 weeks off from work so I come home to a staycation.

I hope everyone is feeling ok. You all are close in my thoughts. Deb

• Engine104

Hi everyone,

Janice had a good first day back at work. She doesn't seem tired this evening, either. It took them about half the day to get her back on the computer :) She'll work in the office until Thursday and then start working from home on Friday and then Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from home with the other two days in the office.

• urdrago71

A big Shout out, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Keep Fighting and sharing our knowledge!!

DebAL. im so jealous.. have a great vacation and eat some extra seafood for me. Love just thinking about a great way!!

Gawarroir. You look marvelous..I can see those hairs, and yes it takes a bit for them to come back. I got so excited when I noticed mine, yet disappointed that they werent growing fast enuff.Everything takes time..lol

Ingerp. You will find the prefect time to be without a head covering it takes time. And I was going without for a bit. Now my hair has these randon free minded spikes standing up. Which hair gel doesnt control. So I'm back to a baseball cap.

Frog, u made me laugh when u talk about where to draw ur eyebrows.I swear mine are all over the place and I can never just wipe the line off and redo as that makeup is water proof "go figure.." Your hair is beautiful and so dark, and eye lashes that's impressive. So u were talking about radation boost , what's that?

Engine, love the pic. You young love birds.. Regarding janice going back to work have faith that if it's too much she will let you know. Just keep open communication going as you always do.

Life, yes I'm working from home, and that fur baby is snuggled to me all day..I think shes going to be lost on friday when I'm n surgery. Had my niece doggie sitter come down with flu, so Im going to have my sister doggie sitting.

Linda, I like the idea of pixie cut as well til it grows out..just havent made up my mind if I'm keeping the gray or ditching it with color..

• InnaB2018

GAWarrior, you look great! I also have fuzzies and am very impressed that you were able to capture them on camera! Mine aren’t even visible under certain light. Oh, well, at least I know they are there. I’ve always had short pixie cuts, so I am hoping that by the New Year I’ll be back from the land of ‘bald and beautiful’.

I can also relate to the constant fear of recurrence. Some days I manage to push these thoughts away, and some days they overcome me. But I am happy to report that I was able to start writing again! Helped a few teenagers with their college essays and started a new story. Let’s hope I will be able to finish it.

Have a great week, guys

• ingerp

GAW—that looks so familiar. I was there 2-3 weeks ago and it has darkened up since then and that makes it more visible/hides the scalp better.

Deb—wishing you an awesome, relaxing vacation. Hope you come back happy and refreshed.

Inna—hang in there! (Although who am I to preach patience?? ;-) )

• NoteRed
    NoteRed Member Posts: 59

its so nice to see all of you. I'm still on radiation (I have 8 more), but my psychology is hitting the floor. As for hair I have a little fuzz but not at ALL my head...hope is coming all out soon

Today I saw a therapist. I had a hope that he maybe could help me to deal with what I'm going through ....but he told me so many "common" things , I almost fell asleep... I maybe try another...I really dont know

I'm so glad to see your pictures....I'll post mine when I get home.

• Engine104

Hi Urdrago71,

Thanks! :) Not so young anymore :)

I think she will too. I'm mostly glad that she will be able to work from home three days a week.

• Djt
    Djt Member Posts: 176

imageHello to all my friends here, New and old!! LOVE seeing you all. Engine with Janice, frog, frog, i got weirdo toenails, blackish, and wavy. About 3 eyelashes, but i do see my eyebrows now are pretty good. Day by day.

GAW love that smile.life, you are funny, enjoy the trip!

I laugh every time I see my head, going wigless in house is a start. Me and my partner were play boxing and, I said to him, " you know I'll win ,"which is, of course a joke, and he counters with " what are you going to do, stab me with your pointy head?" I'm still laughing, and that was yesterday. But i do have a point top on the half inch of hair I have! You all are braver than Me! But I did post a face pic with wig in the #wig talk# group here.

Ingerp, DEB, innab,urdrago, life, red, Linda, thinking of you all, and love reading your updates. Hoping all are doing comparatively well, and enjoying fall.

• ingerp

Djt you have tons of hair! I used to wear a cap at home too but quit that quite a while ago. It is a start. :-)

• InnaB2018

Djt, you have the cutest quiff I’ve ever seen!

• Djt
    Djt Member Posts: 176

omg!! Innab....lmbo🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• maggie2
    maggie2 Member Posts: 240

Djt, you really have a great head of hair! InnaB, I had to search “Uzbek plov”, which sounds really tasty. Now I had to search “quiff”. You’re keeping me busy on googleSmile

DebAL, have a great vacation at the beach!! Engine, we lived in San Clemente for years. We used to enjoy Dukes and George’s on the Cove when we’d be in La Jolla

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

Hello all! Love seeing all the hair progress. Mine is slowly coming in. Only one more boost and radiation will be finished.

NoteRed - sometimes finding the right therapist takes a little time. Good luck finding the right one.