Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

Hi, Duffyzmom, No problems with Florence.. We're in California :)

Hi Life1963, She did! She said she "Loved every blissful minute". :)

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

LOL Engine - Why did I think you were also in Georgia? Gonna blame that chemo brain. Loopy

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

Duffy - Don't feel alone on this one. I thought Engine was located in Coloradro! 😄

• Engine104

Nope.:) Born and raised and still live in the L.A. area. My wife was born in Queens NY, but moved here when she was three.

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

Life, my apt. Is this coming friday just pre-op shldnt be a big deal. Anxiety is not too bad this weekend, so in all I'm doing well.

I didnt realize I still would be having tingling sensations going thru my body all the time. When does that stop, as I'm 24 days PFC..

My head hairs and eyebrows/lash seem like it takes forever for them to fill in. Or maybe I'm being inpatient...

InnB, you look really good. Love the pic.!!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

morning everyone,

Duffy glad rads is moving along, bummer about the exposure. Did you get the vaccine?

Engine I bet janice loved the pampering! I'm so glad she seems to steadily be on the upswing.

Linda great news on the path report. Implants feel odd at first. I'm getting more used to them. I hope you heal quickly.

Urdrago. Eyelashes and brows are typically last to go and last to come back. Yes be patient lol I literally lost just the middle section of my left eyebrow and middle section of my left eyelashes. crazy!

I hope everyone is feeling ok and enjoy your Sunday!

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

Re: lashes and brows, at six weeks PFC I’m just now losing some. I know I’d read that other women had a similar experience but am I doomed to lose them all? I still have probably half my lashes and most of my eyebrows. Does everyone lose all of them or do some hang onto some of them? I still don’t look too chemo-y with makeup on.

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

I lost almost all my eyelashes. I literally have 2 left on the left eye and 2 on the right. But the new crop is coming in already. They are very light and thin, but somebody told me they are going to fall out as well and then the darker ones will come.

As far as eyebrows go, I still have a few of my dark hairs, but I do see the new ones struggling to come out. I used to have dark thick eyebrows and eyelashes. Really want them back.

My scalp looks like a kiwi fruit with light thin baby hair and a few darker strands here and there. My DH and DS swear I get more hair every day, but unless I am sitting against the light source, I can’t see it. I do feel it, though, when I run my hand over it.

I am still itching from the last chemo. It’s been 3 days already. I first took Benadryl, now the MO on call prescribed Hydroxozine. I freaking hate it. Mild pain and tingling palms and feet don’t even bother me. The itching absorbs my attention completely. Can’t even sleep normally anymore because Of it. Hopefully it will subside soon, otherwise I’ll go nuts.

• ingerp

Inna all of my lashes are light and thin—always have been. ;-) I am right with you on the kiwi head. I must run my hands over it 100 times a day. At least it has started growing all over my head.

Would OTC pain meds help your itching? I was taught that itching is the same nerve response as pain—just a milder version of it. Maybe some ibuprofen

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Linda2119, congrats on getting through surgery and on your clear path report! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

HikingLady, sure hoping your hives are gone by now! How are you doing?

InnaB, how are your SEs now? Hoping they are better each day (and no more fainting). I'm right there with you re: the kiwi fruit hair - I can't see mine unless I'm looking against something dark or am under strong lights. What I see is sparse anyhow. It better all come back! Like Ingerp said, maybe the itching is a neuropathy-type of thing. I wonder - if the ibuprofen doesn't help, maybe urdrago's Biofreeze (or similar) would help?

Ingerp, I still have all my eyelashes, too (but no eyebrows) - I'd better not lose them AFTER chemo!

Batata, this week should be T#8? That means just 4 more to go - yayyy! I'm hoping you've had minimal SEs so far.

Engine, I'm sure Janice enjoyed that mani/pedi. Such luxury after all we've been through! Plus, yay that she's getting hair (albeit it thin, but it's hair!).

Duffy, did you get the Hep A vaccine? That stinks that you were exposed.

Frog, hoping you're doing well post-surgery!

I'm doing great - 11 days PFC. Some of my nails are actually turning an interesting shade of green. I've been putting tea tree oil on the ones that were draining fluid a couple of weeks ago - I wonder it that's what's changing their color (except tea tree oil is colorless or very slightly yellowish). Maybe I'm just getting moldy, ha! Which reminds me, we're getting the very outer edge of Florence last night and today - minimal rain (an inch or so?) and no wind. So sad for the folks that caught the brunt of it.

Wishing you all a good week going forward!

• hikinglady
    hikinglady Member Posts: 625

HIVES REACTION/TAXOL UPDATE

My hives were controlled fine with 8 mg Dexamethasone 2x a day for several days. My allergic reaction showed up on Day 8 (3rd infusion) and then Day 9 (4th infusion) of an infusion cycle---first reaction was to Taxotere and 2nd was to Taxol. I found that tapering down the steroid dose by about Day 13 the first time worked fine. I'm currently starting to go off the steroids tonight (over two days, tapering) and hopefully the reactive time is now past--I'm at Day 12 PFC. I don't love being on steroids--need to take Benadryl to be able to sleep at night, but the hives were awful, and that's also a dangerous thing (in case next stage, anaphylaxis comes along...) so I'm glad this side effect was a solvable one.

• Engine104

Hi HikingLady,

I'm sorry to hear about the hives.

My wife got hives from the first round of TC. It was mainly on her scalp. It didn't come back the other three rounds. Benedryl helped her too

• life1963

Good Gravy Engine. Have you ever had one of those days? I am totally having one. I thought I pushed the button back to the top on your post but instead I ended up pushing report this post. I am so sorry if that causes you any issues. I don't think it will but I thought I would warn you ahead of time just in case. 🙄

• Engine104

Yikes! No worries. So far, I've not heard the moderators. :)

Yes, I've had some of those days too :)

• urdrago71

Life, I'm starting to notice more pain than normal did a search and ur comments from Sept 8th came up, "Still trying to work through the joint pain that the anastrozole is causing." what are you doing about the pain? Last week I had one night of tears due to being uncomfortable in my legs. I took aleve and it took the edge off. But tonight as I sat down from going all day I've got pain again my neck, shoulder area, hips, lower back and aleve is not touching the discomfort. I took a hot shower as well to try and relax my body. I was curious if this is normal post chemo and from what I'm seeing as I google search it seems to be, I'm shocked.

Any suggestions or thoughts, I want to be wrong..

• life1963

Undrago. How far are you PFC? Taxel caused extreme joint and bone pain. My last treatment I delt with pain for close to 4 weeks. Lack of energy and just an over all not feeling good. The only thing that helped was hydrocodone with the pain. I would try not to take every day but usually gave in at night. Yes I remember many nights where I would be kicking my legs around because they would be in so much pain and yes it would bring me to tears as well . The pain and the frustration. I would also put long socks on my feet up to my knees to try and keep my calves warm. I don't know if you're having calf problems but I did then and I still am. Another thing I would do is gently stretch the area that was hurting or massage it. Sometimes it helped sometimes it didn't.

Now I am taking anastrozole. I don't know if you will end up taking that. That is causing joint pain in my wrist my knees and my ankles. I have noticed it is worse in the knee that I had surgery from a volleyball injury years ago on as well as my arm that I had my lymph nodes taken out of. At this time I am only allowed to take Ibuprofen because my liver enzymes are showing High. So I have been using Lanacane rub or a TEI- Fu lotion my chiropractor gave me.

Another wonderful thing I've noticed over the weekend is I'm starting to grow a beard!! I'm going to have to ask my OC if this is how it's going to be and do I need to sign up for a circus for the bearded woman if it continues.

By the way sorry about continuing messing up your appointments and everything that's going on with you. Seems like every time I ask you a question I'm like weeks ahead or totally off key.

Really liked my birthday present by the way.😄

• urdrago71

Life, woohoo. I'm glad to hear u enjoyed ur photo.. I had a few giggles as I watched the comments from others .

And I appericate u asking about my apt. Even if it's a week early. I will keep u up dates. I'm 25 days PFC and counting. I grabbed a heating pad for my lower back.. this discomfort is not all the time but, omg when it hits. I'm trying to be care about what I take before surgery. Bcuz I wld take turmeric but since surgery is out about 2 weeks it's a no/no as it might slow down clotting.

Also I have face fuzzy as well, lol.. thinking I may need to schedule a lazer hair removal if this continues to grow!

Gawarrior , ouch and double ouch with the nails. Mine turned yellow and brown in the beds..but are better now, still dont have the grip strength back yet.

Frog, how are u doing ? Did u get your drains out yet?

HikingLady, sorry to hear about hives. Hope ur doing better. I thought I had hives only for it to turn out to be Shingles.. either way, yuck!

Have a peaceful Monday and sending good vibes for a fresh week ahead.

• InnaB2018

Ladies, I have to admit you are scaring me! Pain, nail troubles and beards sound horrible! I hope all three will go away soon. So, facial hair comes out on Anastrozole? Not looking forward to it, as my MO thinks to put me on it.

HikingLady, so sorry about the hives! I had them after my second Taxol, but not after I was switched to Abraxane.

GAWarrior, have you tried to use the OPI nail strengthener called Nail Envy? I read a recommendation in Tiffany’s terrific chemo tips on this web site and have been using it religiously since a week before the first chemo. My nails look fine for now, but Adriamycin turned 3 of my toenails black. My MO says it will go away in a year. Oh, goody...

Urdrago, I forgot, are you going for lumpectomy or mastectomy? Sorry, chemo brain... In two weeks, huh? I hope the pain is resolved by then.

Engine, so happy Janice feels better and got the much needed pampering!

Bearded ladies, I have a friend who had to deal with this (not because of meds, but just because she was lucky, I guess), and she says that electrolysis took care of it. It’s cheaper than laser and not as painful, apparently. I’ve spent most of my life and a considerable sum of money fighting unwanted hair, I hate to think I have to start again! And that on top of missing the hair where it’s supposed to be! Oh, irony, thy name is cancer...

5 day PFC, the itching is moderately better, pain is tolerable, and life sucks. Somehow i’ve developed a cord in the armpit where the lymph nodes were taken out. I’ve been doing arm exercises 3 times a day, and still have this condition. Have a PT appt on Thursday. I’ve read what will be done to me in order to break it and am not looking forward to it.

• ingerp

Inna—just my experience with cording. I had it show up <at least> twice over a year after my lumpectomy in ‘16. It always resolved on its own. Not sure how long it took—I was pretty good at ignoring it.

• InnaB2018

Ingerp, i’f Love it ignore it, but it freaking hurts

• life1963

Well one if my co-workers has been fighting a cold. Guess who woke up with a cold this morning? Ugh

I really hope I don't sneeze or cough during radiation treatments!! 🙄🤧

• maggie2
    maggie2 Member Posts: 240

DebAL, glad to hear your appt went well. Does this mean that you don’t have to get another round of fat grafting in December?

To all of you still experiencing the neuropathy, nail issues, pain, hives, and now even getting a cold, I wish you some relief.

I’m ready to join up with your Bearded Lady Group. I guess the biotin I’ve been taking is just doing it’s job!

• urdrago71

life, awe im wishing you feel better soon I just had a coworker leave early bcuz of fever and sinus congestion so I'm bring my mask to work for them to wear.lol

InnB, sorry didn't mean to scare u. I didn't realize how aweful I cld feel from SE's even after I've been done with chemo.hopefully u will not have any of these SE's..I'm doing a lumpectomy now, and after I heal from Radiation I will decide if I want to continue with my plan of mastectomy since I'm TNBC.

Frog, I really hope ur doing well. thinking about ya..

Maggie, I wonder if the biotin is the reason I've got facial hair ? This fuzzy peach is ready to shave !!

• life1963

Thanks Undrago and Maggie.

Heading to bed but before I head that direction I thought I'd let you girls know my cousin who has a brain tumor and went through a lot of chemo/Radiation and Surgery. She said that when her hair grew back she developed a beard as well but as time went on it started fading out. She suggested I do not shave, wax it or whatever. Told me to wait a bit. I am giving six months max!

My boss does not know it yet but I have decided to take off the next couple of days to rest up. I'm calling in tomorrow.

Have a restful night and a wonderful day tomorrow!

🤧🤞😴

• Belated birthday wishes to Life and Happy Birthday InnaB. Urdrago, keep up the good work. Cant wait to see what you have for Inna. I wish I could say that the aches and pains are gone, now that I am 5 weeks Post effing Chemo. I met my MO yesterday and asked her about the pains and numb fingers, she looked at me as if that was the most absurd thing she had heard the whole day. It will take some more weeks as per her.

Okay, about what kept me away last week. So much has happenned in the last ten days. I did not get a drain for my lumpectomy. I had major bruising that has subsided quite nicely. Results came in, did not get a PCR, but , there has been a good response on the cancer and the BS has taken everything out. We had clear margins and no node involvement.

Now since there was a bit of residual, MO asked me to take chemo pills (Capecitabine) after I finish radiation. It will take me to April by the time I am done with those. And it has its own set of SEs. So, yeah, that all happenned.

I have FUZZ. I am so excited. And I have fuzz everywhere ( not so excited about that). I think the fuzz on my hair are the same length as the fuzz on my face. Its soft downy fuzz. And we also have the beginnings of eyelashes.

Take care everyone. I wish all of us lot of smiles and sunshine.

• ingerp

Good to hear from you, Frog, and sorry about the continued treatment. It must feel like all of this will never end, but we'll all get on the other side of it and hopefully on to the rest of our lives.

Welcome to the Peach Fuzz Brigade!! I am very excited about mine but now even more anxious to get some more length so I can burn all of my baseball caps. I had a dream the other night that I had hair. It was wonderful. And I finally lost all of my eyelashes but there appears to already be a full set growing in--I think they've been there for a while. And my lower lashes appear to be holding firm? Anybody know how long it takes for eyelashes to grow out?

I was oddly excited to hear yesterday that I need to go in early tomorrow for a new scan/mapping/what-not. My boosts might be done with me lying on my side. I'd forgotten about the boosts--I'll have seven. For some reason it made me happier to think of only six more regular zaps and then seven boosts. In my head it sounds more tolerable than 13 more visits--maybe just because I can check one more thing off the list one week from today. :-)

Best wishes for minimal SEs and good health to all!!

• NoteRed
    NoteRed Member Posts: 59

Hello to you all! Its been a while but my psychology wasn't that good.

The good news are that at 17 August I finished chemo (12 rounds of Taxol and 4 of FEC). I still feel a little fatigue, I have also an anal fissure from constipation (my onc told me so because I have a lot of pain when I go to the bathroom and I saw a little blood so you know..) and trying to get rid of it with some cream. I have pains here and there and I'm trying not to panic every time.

I did all the scans and blood work and they were fine and clear and at 10 September I've started my radiation treatment. I'm scheduled for 25..you know I feel a little tired of all that and sometimes hopeless ..... I know I have to have some help from a psychologist at least...

Hope you are all doing fine and have minimal SE. Thank you for reading..

• maggie2
    maggie2 Member Posts: 240

Ingerp, you asked about eyelashes. My last remaining lash fell out August 2. They have been growing in pretty quickly. I think they are now just about as thick as before, but not quiteas long yet. I definitely have enough length to use my regular mascara again. Eyebrows are pretty much back to before chemo too.

• urdrago71

Notered, congrats on finishing Chemo you've made it to the other side. I've had my good and bad days as I go thru cancer and healing my body and mind all needs time to heal.And we all are allowed to have Bad days bcuz none of this is easy. Support is good, especially to talk to as we go thru a change in our life path. Always remember You can also in box me or anyone a private message. Btw: you are ahead of me in treatment plan my next step is surgery. Im going have lumpectomy and axillary lymphnodes removal as 1 tested postive for cancer . Make sure u let us know how ur doing in radation..

Maggie, I was just looking at my eyelashes hoping they would grow faster. Lol, needless to say it hasnt happened yet.Im jealous ...I think my hair growth is slowed down..

Sending good vibes to everyone..

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Happy birthday, InnaB!! Wishing you a happy healthy year.

Congrats on finishing chemo, NoteRed. We're all here for you if you need to vent. This is a very tough road that seems like it will never end, but it's easier with support from both professionals and those of us who are in it with you. Each day is one step closer to being finished with treatment!

Wishing our Jewish friends an easy fast and a good holiday this Yom Kippur.