Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

InnaB Did I miss something? I know your a Virgo but when is your birthday? Cording sucks raw eggs!!!

NoteRed so good to hear from you! Sorry you have been having a struggle. Warrior/Undrago are right. We are here for you as well. Just a post or message away. Congrades on getting done with Chemo world! I was a emotional wreck after each treatment. Now that I look back I decided it was the steroids.

Frog WOW that was quite a rollercoaster of events in days! Good news about your clear margins! Congrades!

Undrago when is your surgery? I am asking this time so I am on the right schedule of events.

Today my radiation doctor has stopped all treatment until I am better as I am getting worse. They have also started me on antibiotics explaining that my immune system has been compromised with chemo and now radiation. Even a slight cold can turn dangerously.

Have a great day with SE gone or fading out.

Hugs to all my peeps out there!

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

Thank you for the birthday wishes, GAWarrior! Yes, it’s today, Life! 😜 This year it coinsides with Yom Kippur. My husband and son are fasting, and I am eating out of their sight. Some of my friends will stop by in the evening, otherwise it’s going to be a quiet birthday. Last year my husband and I had a huge party. He turned 50 and I turned 45. Our birthdays are 2 weeks apart, so we always celebrate them together. This year nothing isn’t going to happen..

• life1963

Happy Birthday InnaB! Have a wonderful day!

• Djt
    Djt Member Posts: 176

Innab, i don't want to miss this opportunity to also wish you a wonderful birthday and hope you are having a wonderful day. 🎂🎂🥂🥂🎂🎂🥂🥂

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

Happy Birthday, InnaB!

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

Lol, Happy Birthday InnaB... Here's ur piece of cake.

• life1963

Engine I thought that movie was pretty funny!

• life1963

Undrago! Nice!

• urdrago71

Hi all, I hope I dont offen anyone w/images. I apologize in advance..

Switching topices... I didn't read all messages but LIFE my surgey is Oct.5 doctor pushed it out a day.

I have a question: is anyone else having the nails lift from nail beds Post chemo? What am I suppose to now??I been keeping my nails short and now I'm going to wrap my finger to protect my nail. I dont wanna snag it and rip the dang thing off. Sh*t I wasnt planning on this scenario...

Also I still have tingling going on through out, especially hands were they feel almost numb. I figured this neuropathy stuff wld be winding down. Surprise, seems like I'm wrong..

• life1963

Undrago yes my nails did lift but they didn't completely go off. I just kept them very very short I'm talking really short. They never really work their way off. I also did dishes with a long brush. Kept them out odmf water as much as possible and took quick showers. They're growing back very strange so I'm cutting them super short still until they grow back right. As far as neuropathy I do remember getting numbness and sharp pains in my feet hands and calves as well as my thighs. My last chemo is June 28th and I still get sharp pains in my toes once in awhile and my fingers and definitely my thighs. Calfs seem to just Charlie Horse up a lot. I feel most of it in the hand I had the lymph nodes taken out-of and the knee that I had surgery on. I don't know if it attacks your weakest points or not.

I will remember October 5th and I will not jump the gun! LOL

Good gravy I need to proofread I've had to correct this thing three times! PFC. (HIKINGLADY'S VERSION)

• Engine104

Hi Life1963,

It's one of my favorites too. My son found a website a few years ago that sells stuff from the film. He bought me a red stapler for Christmas :)

Urdrago: If that's the cake, I'll pass. Thank you. Not my type :)

• life1963

A Red Stapler! I Love It!

Sounds like your son has your great sense of humor too! 😂😂

• InnaB2018

Guys, you are the best! Thank you for the birthday wishes and the cake pictures! Love you to pieces! Hope you have a great week

• Urdrago, I am having problems woth my finger nails. Both of my thumb nails are down to half and I can still take some more off. I read somewhere that if the crescent on the nailbed is intact the nail will definitely grow back. It might take close to 3 months or so.

I did a lotbetter today energy wise. Pains and aches are still there. So are numb fingers. It has improved a lot. So hang in there.

I have my appointment with the Radiation Oncologist on Saturday. On to the next part.

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Jeepers, what a night. Sooo much bone pain in my back, I finally gave in and took a hydrocodone at 12:30 this morning after 800 mg of ibuprofen didn't even touch it at dinnertime. I was at the chiropractor on Monday, so I have to assume this is from chemo. .I did a search and some people are saying they got bone pain for months after PFC. Someone said her MO told her it was because our blood cells are depleted and our bodies are scrambling to make more cells. Oh joy. Oh, and can I just say that I'm tired of wonky vision? My eyes are blurry on and off and super dry. Okay, end of whining for this morning...

Nice pic, urdrago! :)

Engine, loved yours, too (loved Office Space)! Enjoy that stapler, lol.

InnaB, hoping your birthday was nice (if quiet).

Urdrago, 4 of my my nails lifted, but I didn't lose them. They had clear fluid leaking from them and smelled awful for awhile, too (sorry if TMI). I used tea tree oil on them and still keep them very, very short. Frog suggested wearing gloves and that helped when rinsing dishes or cleaning in the kitchen etc. I used bandages on them while at work because even catching them slightly on something meant drop-to-your-knees pain. I am keeping OPI nail strengthener on them. Happily, they are still tender, but definitely better 2 weeks PFC. I bumped one at work yesterday and only winced instead of wanting to pass out. Oh, and they are green under the nail now (my sister showed a pic of them to her holistic doctor friend who thinks it is fungus and will grow out). Sad to say the neuropathy often will last for months PFC, though.

HikingLady, hoping your hives are gone!

Life, hoping you are feeling better. I am seeing lots of colds in my patients already. And someone mentioned flu yesterday and that this is supposed to be a bad flu season again. Let's hope not!

Frog, glad your energy and nail pain is improving. Good luck with your radiation visit this weekend.

Hugs, y'all!

• Engine104

Urdrago: Janice's nails dried out and chipped during chemo, but she did not lose them, thankfully. I'm sorry to hear about your pain.

GAWarrior: Thanks. It is sitting on my desk at work right now, and no one is taking it! :)

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

GAWarrior - sorry to hear you had a rough night. Bone pain is the worst. I did try and think oh I'm making blood cells but that only goes so far.

Urdrago - I swear I can see exactly where each of my chemo rounds affected my nail beds almost like rings on a tree. I've been using that Essie TLC and keeping my nails very short. The 3 worst ones still bother me routinely.

LIFE - Sorry to hear your infection still isn't healing. Will they restart your radiation when you are healed? I'm just now noticing skin breakdown from radiation.

InnaB - How nice to have your birthday and New Year coinciding!

Urdrago - I'll take Engine's piece of cake if he doesn't want it ;-)

Sorry I've been MIA this week has been crazy busy. First - yes I did get the HepA vaccination. Our local pharmacy had a run on vaccinations so hubby and I actually ended up with the Twinrix which covers both A and B. This week has felt really long but lots of issues at radiation center. Monday was a long day because not only did I see my RO I also had my 6 week MO appointment and he wanted a repeat of a Doppler ultrasound because of my left arm swelling Unfortunately ultrasound showed another blood clot so MO switched me from Xarelto to Pradaxa. At least now I know why my left arm was failing to improve. Tuesday issues with computers at radiation ( I guess their cloud is in NJ and the rains from Florence were causing issues). Then I had my Herceptin infusion. Wednesday was another long day at radiation because of mechanical issues. I was actually on the table for almost a half and hour. Thankfully today was just a normal radiation but tomorrow will be another simulation to set up for boosts and then radiation. I'm definitely ready for the weekend off. Thankfully this weekend is my turn to visit hubby in Canada so lots of R&R.

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

Duffy, you sure deserve some R and R! It was nice to catch up about everyone on your post as I have been a bit MIA myself. Still working crazy hours for 2 more weeks then I will be on more of a regular schedule. I need to practice saying no.

I'm getting more used to these implants. Definitely takes time. I'm getting my first real hair cut and color next week. My hair is kind of bending different directions..guessing the start of chemo curls. I look like I have bed head all the time now. Not very attractive but oh well that's ok

Happy belated birthday Inna B ! I hope everyone is on the upswing and feeling better. Hugs to each one of you

• maggie2
    maggie2 Member Posts: 240

DebAL, I laughed at your description of Bedhead Hair. That is a perfect description of mine, too. I’m also having my first real hair appt next week. I’ll get all this new gray colored and my original remaining, scraggly hair trimmed short.

GAWarrior, Urdrago, Life, Duffy, I hope you all getsome relief and can enjoy the upcoming weekend.

• Duffyzmom, thats rough. These little things add up and make keeping ypur sanity so difficult.

GA Warrior and Urdrago, I hope you guys are having a better day with the aches and pains.

DebAl and Maggie, haircuts? Seriously guys? You have reached a point where you can cut your hair. I am so happy for you both.

I am doing okay. Blurry vision and joint pains are the top contenders. RO visit tomorrow.

Sending everyone good vibes

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

I remember someone on another thread said she couldn't wait until her hair was long enough to have bed head. :-)

I am doing well--radiation #24 today + Herceptin. After today I'll only have two regular zaps + seven boosts. I'm seven weeks PFC and still only have peach fuzz. My RO looks at my head every Wednesday and I asked her this week when she thought I might be able to ditch the hat. I have a trip in five weeks (WDW!) and she kind of made a face like she doubted I'd be able to go without the baseball caps. Then I asked her about a month after that (-ish, when I'll visit two of my kids for Thanksgiving) and she still looked kind of iffy. :-(

In the patting myself on the back category, I'm much more regularly going to the gym these days and (fingers crossed) feeling really good! Not exactly killing myself there but at least getting my butt out the door. I'd been doing some weights and cardio, but just recently added back in some yoga. I gotta think that's helping with the SEs (which I don't really have any of).

Wishing everyone a fabulous fall weekend and minimal SEs!!

• InnaB2018

Thank you for the birthday wishes, guys!

So sorry about the nails, GAWarrior, Urdrago! Hopefully they will improve soon.

Ingerp, great about radiation! Mine starts October 8. Regular radiation - didn't get into the proton group.

Life, Duffy, please feel better

• ingerp

<And special late birthday shout-out to you, Inna--I'm posting on so many threads it's hard to keep everyone straight, but I know there were a number of September gals in this group.>

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

morning everyone! Ingerp , you should pat yourself on the back, I'm patting you too!! Good for you!

Frog, you are funny. I almost reposted after my original post. To say hair cut is a stretch. Its bed head and as maggie says scraggly hair lol. In no way am I ready to donate to locks for love just yet! I think I will feel better to have it shaped and highlighted. Its bending so I'm sure chemo curls is next.

I hope everyone is having a good day. Deb

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Life, hope you're feeling better. Urdrago, you too, with your nails, etc.

Duffy, I hope the new RX will improve your swelling/blood clot. Do they know why you keep getting the clots there (since your port is gone now)? Frustrating week for you - enjoy your trip home and that R & R!

Deb - no more crazy hours! You need to reduce your stress not add to it. When they ask you about taking something on, just walk away...you can do it! You and Maggie getting haircuts - imagine that! I'm sooo jealous. I vow to never fuss about "having" to get a hair cut or color again when it comes back.

Ingerp, go you! Moving right through the rads, congrats! Do you ring a bell when you finish that, too? RE: the hair, I'm with you. I want to ditch my wig and scarves, but it's going to be a while. A long while, I'm afraid. I was super-blond as a kid, so I suspect it will come back blond and will be hard to see until it's 6 inches long. Maybe that's you, too (blond)? WDW, how fun! When will you be there? I'll be there the first weekend in Nov - we should find a way to meet if you're there at the same time.

Frog, good luck at the RO visit tomorrow. Hoping your joint pain settles down and your eyes clear. It's spring there - maybe allergies are contributing? I've wondered about that with my eyes being so dry and my blurry vision. It's been unseasonably warm here and ragweed (a big allergen) is blooming longer than normal. Maybe it's a combo of allergy and chemo?

Did I mention that I'm growing eyebrows? They are barely there, but they are there. My eyelashes, however, are not. I had them all through chemo and now they've abandoned ship (probably went searching for my hair). My back pain is better. I ended up going back to the chiropractor yesterday after 22 hours of unrelenting pain. He thinks it's nerve-related due to the chemo (uncommon, but it happens). The MO says it's not from chemo. I disagree, lol. I'm better today, so we'll see if it comes back (last week, I had it three days in a row). I read that since we are now off steroids, these ugly little things that were suppressed are showing up. Makes sense.

In other news, I had a mammo and US today (MRI will be on Monday). The radiologist says I have "mottled" tissue (areas of dark and light tissue) remaining in the tumor area, but nothing definable that she can measure. She says it now comes down to the surgical pathology report to say if those areas are live cells, dead cells, or what. She was very pleased. Me, too!

Have a great weekend, ladies and gent! May it be SE-free and relaxing!

• ingerp

GAW--I did not ring a bell at the end of Taxol. It was offered, and they said some women who are doing Taxol/Herceptin ring it after the T, some after the H, and some both times, but I decided to hold off until I'm *done* done (next May). I will ring a bell when I'm done with rads but it's a little bit of btdt for me, plus honestly I'll be a little more excited to ditch the head gear. I met with my MO today before the Herceptin and she too made various faces as I asked when she thought I might have enough hair to cover my scalp. I head to WDW 10/26 (my birthday, coincidentally) just for a long weekend, which is five weeks from today. (I had scheduled it for last weekend in September thinking my rads would be done--silly me assuming it'd only be 20 sessions like last time.) My MO looked a little doubtful that I'd have enough cover by then but did sound a little more optimistic about the Thanksgiving time frame. Who knows. . .

And it occurred to me this morning that BC treatment is weird. This week I've been complimented on my shoulder mobility and head shape.

• Engine104

I was just reading the City of Hope newsletter, which had an article on a survivor of an HPV-related throat cancer. I really love this quote from the article, "I believe this is all attitude, attitude, attitude – you have to live this one day at a time and accept it for what it is. To look at what might be in the future is to welcome unnecessary anxiety. BE PREPARED, but don't live in the future.". That is so true and I know that both I and Janice concentrated on taking it one day at a time all through her three battles with cancer, including this past summer.

• urdrago71

wow. Get away for a bit and everyone has so much going on. I went to eye doc. Yesterday and I've got implant in the left eye (cateract surgery)so no issues. And right eye no change..woohoo all the blurred vision and watery eyes from chemo and dry eye.. I just need to keep using drops..So I'm starting to realize how truly dry I am and need to use mositureizer all the time every where!! Also had pre op apt. today. Nothing major just for me to sign documents and they dont want me to do flu shot. surgery is 2 weeks out ppl are already coming down with flu in Detroit early by 4 weeks, and last year CDC didnt get the vaccine correct. That's what I was told. I will be in the hospital for sure a day. They explain how to care for drains, and wire needle procedure and I might be off work for 6 weeks. port removal sometime after surgery, and for now an order to get it flushed next week. After surgery pathology shld be done in 24 hours

Oh, and I sign paper twice for research teams to use left over tissue to exam the cancer & another team research chemo effects. Hope that helps in furture dx.

I'm going to let all this info settle. Hope everyone has a cooler dryer weekend.

• maggie2
    maggie2 Member Posts: 240

Engine, that is such good advice for everyone hearing the diagnosis of cancer. One day at a time is the only way I’ve made it through these many months.

Hair...Full Disclosure. I did Penguin Cold Capping so I have a “head” start on keeping a few scraggly strands and seeing new growth already. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the success with hair retention that so many cappers have

• Engine104

Hi Maggie2,

I think one day at a time is the best way to handle this, otherwise the "what-ifs" get overwhelming. I know that was the case for me.

My wife decided against the cold cap. Our health plan didn't cover it and between the expense and research that said it was not always very effective, we decided against it. I'm hoping my wife's hair comes back. So far, we are 6 weeks out from the last chemo and nothing much has shown up. Maybe we have to wait for spring for things to sprout :)