Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

duffy, most gorgeous pic..EXCEPT for the shirts! No doubt 'grandma to be urdrago' will chime in with her support of your attire choices. Beautiful family! Your hair looks great.

You know temporary color was great. Timed it for a wedding but it's just that, temporary. Lasted 3 weeks at most. What I noticed..and confirmed with honest co workers..that the more hair I have the less gray is noticable. Before it was more the primary color. Now it's more brown with gray highlights. Believe me, I'm no beauty but I'm good with just letting things be as they are. My hair is so healthy, soft , feels so good I hate to use permanent color just yet. I know i eventually will. Plus my curls are out of control right now lol. Its definitely about what makes you feel best! You look great! I'm glad you had such fun time with your family!

• linda2119
    linda2119 Member Posts: 60

Hi, all,

Happy belated holidays! I hope everyone had a joyous time, and didn't dwell too much on BC. This was my second Christmas with the BC diagnosis - it was easier this time. Now that active treatment is over, I'm finding myself finally thinking about the future and not the present. I am amazed at how much of an emotional toll treatment took on me. Just little things - I'm able to think about visiting an employee of mine who quit to raise her kids. Six months ago, I never entertained the thought, but now I feel like I have my life back. I even applied for a new job - didn't get it, but that's ok! Just wanting to risk it is a big step.

The trial drug is going fine - I had some diarrhea the first night (that's the main side effect), but nothing since so I'm very pleased. Still feeling very blessed to have been randomized to receive the drug. I go for my first Zometa infusion tomorrow, so in a way, treatment is never ending, but it's good. A quick (yeah right!) 20 minute infusion every three months for the first two years, then every 6 months probably forever.

My gift to myself this Christmas was a nose piercing! I've wanted to do this for years - when I first mentioned it probably 12 years ago to my kids (they were middle school aged then), they were all horrified at the thought of their mother with a nose stud. But now - I did it to celebrate the end of active treatment and a little bit to say *#*! to breast cancer. After a year of having lots of things done to my body that I didn't choose, it's nice to have the choice to do something! And I love it! (But it must be kinda subtle, because people aren't commenting on it - even my sisters!)

GAWarrior - glad to hear Bryce is so active! I'm sad that you're leaving Colorado, but so happy to have met you.

Here's to putting this year to rest in a few days!

Linda

• hikinglady
    hikinglady Member Posts: 625

Linda2019: I had my first Zometa infusion a few weeks ago, and I felt quite sick the next day. Fever, in bed, tired, very achey (bones and muscles) as if I had the flu. Not nauseated, but I felt quite low and unable to do much except lie around, and I was sleepy enough to nod off a few times, like short nap-lets. Then, the following day, I was really back to normal! So, that wasn't so bad. I took Claritin for 4 days starting on infusion day, and that helped with the aching, and I also took an NSAID.

I was instructed to drink A LOT of water the day before, and also for a day or so after the infusion, which probably helped my body manage it. After the infusion, I had diarrhea for a few days. I took Imodium to control it, and I started myself on a (good, expensive, refrigerated) daily probiotic. Who knows whether that helped, but the diarrhea calmed down after a week or two. This could just be me, not a typical side effect.

The infusion did take 20-30 minutes---apparently, there's an ideal speed for the drip, just like for chemo. Too fast, and our bodies have worse reactions. I was given fluids/saline drip at the same time, as I recall.

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

I'd like to introduce Charlie Rose, 7lbs 15oz, 20.5 inches born 12/26/18 @ 9:59 pm. My daughter was sleeping when the doc came in and said lets see how ur doing. After the exam doc said as soon as u feel like pushing go ahead your ready to deliver. My daughter had Epidural..

DebAl. Duffy, She doesnt have her U of M outfit on yet, but she does own one, giggles...Go Michigan...

Went to MO today and I will start Xeloda mid Jan. 19 going to let my body recover from Radiation. Next apt is the prep/ training for chemo Xeloda. Than I'll have 6 week check up in beginning of Feb. Also when I dont have as much inflammation she will schedule a PET scan.

Today, I start my radiation boost appt. I'll have 5, can see the end of this tunnel. Boost are targeted just the breast tumor. Which is really good since my collarbone is bright red, missing skin and stinging..it will finally be able to heal.

Wishing Everyone a great New Year!!

• debal

Linda, glad to hear the trial is going well. I agree with you, it's so nice to have periods when we arent dwelling on BC. Hopefully those periods stretch out longer for all of us. Good for you on the piercing and doing something for yourself!

Urdrago , wow she is beautiful!!! Congrats. Thanks for sharing. You must be on cloud 9. I hope your collar bone heals quickly. Ouch

GAW, so happy Bryce is feeling better. It's difficult to leave but I'm sure you are also ready to get home. You have been through so much.

I hope everyone is doing well and having a good week. Deb

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

Congrats, Urdrago! The baby is beautiful! Linda, DebAl, Happy to hear you are doing well. This Year has been a nightmare, can’t wait for it to end and start the new one from the ground zero.

GAWarrior, it’s amazing how quickly Bryce had started feeling better! That’s great! Best wishes

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

Udrago - She's a beauty. Congrats!

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

Urdrago, Congrats on the grand baby! That is wonderful!

All is well here. Our son and his GF came in from Chicago for a few days over Christmas. While they were here, we somehow managed to squeeze in seeing most sides of our family :)

I hope everyone on here has a very Healthy and Happy 2019!

• linda2119
    linda2119 Member Posts: 60

Udrago - Congrats - she's beautiful! I can't wait to be a grandma - but I have a few years at least.

Hikinglady - thanks for the Zometa tips. I had heard about the flu-like symptoms afterwards, but no one told me about water - so I've been guzzling. I'm really dreading this - more than warranted, I think.

• hikinglady
    hikinglady Member Posts: 625

Linda2119 Day after Zometa, morning started okay and then I just had to lie down. Felt really normal one day later, so it was only one day of achey and sleepy. I've heard the subsequent infusions are lighter on these symptoms! :-) I also felt a lot of anxiety about it, and I kind of wished for a Valium or something to lighten my mood, but I was driving myself, so Oh Well! It really wasn't so bad. Sending you warm wishes.

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

Gawarrier Welcome Home! Good news about your son feeling better.

Undrago (Grandma) Congrades! What a beautiful baby. Also, boost go super fast!

InnaB, Deb and Engine Amen on a better year for us all!

Hikinglady nice to see you surfacing again. How are you feeling?

Linda on my first zometa infusion they did it in 20 minutes. The next day I felt very achy and fluish. However I was only two weeks out from chemo. This go round they did 30 minute infusion with a bag of saline solution. I had no side effects at all. I went back to work the next day and felt just fine.

Will any of you ladies be doing any of the anastrozole or similar treatments?

I am back to working two jobs. It's been pretty crazy. I was just thinking to myself I was crazy and busy like this last year when I found out I had cancer. I really don't have any desire to jump back on this crazy train again but I feel like I've been thrown back on. I'm reevaluating some things come the new year. Hopefully it's not like you say you're going to go on a diet and hit the gym and be faithful in like three months later you're totally back on the junk food and no working out. LOL

Singing off for now

Huggs

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

Greetings from Big Sky MT!! I’m still on vacation with most of my kids. Urdrago that baby is beautiful!! Congratulations. How far away do they live? I think I’m 2-3-4 years away but am so looking forward to it.

Life I started anastrozole 11/11—every other day but have been taking it every day since 12/1. Felt a little stiff and a little more headachy but that’s really it. And maybe it’s because I’m distracted but I haven’t really noticed any SEs on this trip.

Belated Merry Christmas to all y’all and here’s to a healthy 2019!

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Duffy, you look great, as does your family. I love seeing everyone's photos.

Linda, you're so brave to get a nose piercing! I feel like that would hurt so much! I have a belly button piercing and that was enough for me, lol. Where did you have it done? I have a friend in the Springs who was looking for a place for her daughter to get it done. Also, I'm glad you're doing well on the trial drug. So glad we got to meet while I was there!

Urdrago, congrats on your beautiful new granddaughter! Also, congrats on finishing rads next week - another milestone down. Sending healing vibes, I'm sore for you. It must be like having a bad sunburn?

Engine, I'm glad you got to enjoy family over the holidays. That was one of the only perks for me being in CO with my son - I got to see family and friends over the holidays that I wouldn't have normally.

Life, get off the crazy train! Stress reduction is the keyword for all of us in 2019.

I came home from CO yesterday. I am SO happy to be back and SO sad to have left Bryce. Of course, he came down with a cold on Christmas Eve due to his compromised immune system, so he's coughing a lot (and now has a sore sternum that's trying to heal from being cut for surgery). His Wed chest xray was clear, though, so I felt like it was okay to leave him, but now I'm worrying from afar.

• urdrago71

My girls are right here in town and my son about an hour away. Im really lucky.

Im posting bcuz the skin is healing so its tight, peeling and bleeding. Im putting antibiotics on it for moisture not sure if I should be. Ive never been burned kike this and silvadine doesnt give my skin enuff moisture to stop cracking and bleeding. Any ideas??

Gawarrior, does he gave a webcam or facetime so u can check on him and see him to give you more comfort? Thats what i do with my kids. Lol

Happy Holidays.

• life1963

Undrago

This is really good stuff! It is a skin moisturizer as well as an antibiotic. Carry a small one around in my purse with some Band-Aids just in case. I bought the bigger can at Walgreens when I first started dealing with radiation treatment. However my skin did not burn or crack or bleed so I didn't need it.image

• life1963

This is what my mom bought me.

• urdrago71

Thank you for advise. Im going to get both of them to apply to my skin. Heres what my collarbone area looks like. Cant wait to get pass this..

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

Oh gosh Urdrago—I never had anything like that with rads. I used Aquaphor, calendula cream, and Desitin. I’d just grab whatever was handy and slather it on a few times a day. Hope you heal quickly!!

• life1963

WOW! It is burnt worse than I could ever imagine! Yes! I bet you are soooo ready to get past that. I hope one of those two items help you out.

• life1963

I just found this information as well. May help.

• urdrago71

Life, I read @ drug store to find the dressing. Thank you. I really didnt realize I was going to blister and peel this weekend or even at all. Expecially When RO office is closed. Grrr.. Ive been taking Aleve for pain not sure if it helps but you all know as we go thru the journey we find inner strength to manage.

Cyber hugs..

• InnaB2018

urdrago, I used Miaderm. Bought it on amazon. It’s pricey, but works miracles. It was formulated specifically for radiation burns. I also used corn starch. I hope you feel better!

Lymphedema is horrible! Waiting for the 31, when I have an appointment with the therapist.

• life1963

InnaB. Lymphedema sucks raw eggs!! If you're having a really bad time with it perhaps they can recommend that machine that I do. It was insurance covered for me because they showed that I needed it. It really does help especially if my arm starts swelling and getting really painful. I put it on for an hour and it feels like a whole different arm when it's over and done. I also wear my sleeve a lot when I do extra chores that I don't usually do as well.

Hope it settles down for you very soon. Let me know if you want the name of that machine. I'll dig the pamphlet out. I call it the Michelin Man machine but I know that's not the name of it. LOL

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Oh, wow, Urdrago! That looks awful. Speedy healing to you! Great idea about Facetime, etc, for seeing my son, thanks.

InnaB, so sorry about your lymphedema, especially over the holiday weekend. No fun!

• InnaB2018

Life, what's the name of that machine? I have a sleeve and a glove, but my therapist says I need the complete decongestive therapy with wrapping, and I shouldn't wear my sleeve too much while I have a flare.

• life1963

innaB here is a picture of the actual component that the hoses hookup to. It has the company name and a picture of what part of the body it works. I will look for pamphlet tomorrow.

It real does a nice job of moving the fluids out of arm area and back into the body. I was told that is what lymph nodes would be doing.

• Wow, lots to catch up on. I hope everyone had a great time with dear ones.

Duffy thats a beautiful pic. Your hair is filling in quite nicely now.

GA Warrior, so happy Bryce is doing well and you should really look into facetiming. I hope your back is not giving you much pain. I did not see an Opthalmologist, just my regular Optiometerist. She gave me an over the counter ointment. It has really helped. My vision has cleared up a lot.

Urdrago, congratulations. There cannot be a better way to end this crappy year. Hope both mum and little one are doing fine.

That burn, ouch. That looks bad. I hope you get some relief and soon.

Life, I hope you are doing fine. I remember you mentioning in a previous post that you got your diagnosis last year on the 28th.

I will start my round 3 on Xeloda tommorrow. Also, I will meet my parents tomorrow after a year. I need to remember to take my sleep meds tonite, I am not sleeping well due to anxiety. So far Xeloda has been manageable. Lots of skin itching I was more than happy when my MO said I could travel and also continue on the meds. We had a stopover in Singapore and my skin itched and crawled the whole time I was outdoors. It was quite humid and hot for december. I am so glad I am doing the trip in winter. Imagine, me an Indian by birth, cannot take hot and humid🙄🤣.

Wishing everyone of us a very uneventful 2019.

• debal

morning everyone. just catching up. InnaB and urdrago I hope things resolve soon. I'm so sorry. Linda I hope trial is going well. How nice to have others here that can give advice and helpful suggestions. Just chiming in. I've used aquaphor often along this road. Right now on the areas where fat grafting stitches were removed. Bag balm is awesome. If you haven't tried it, treat yourself. Lather your feet and hands with it. I bought a pair of thin cheap cotton gloves, thin cheap socks to cover. Watch a movie. Let it soak in. ( it's harder to leave the gloves on longer) oh my, skin is so soft afterwards and feels sooooo good. I do it about once a week.

Oh frog, I hope your anxiety gets better. Enjoy the time with your parents. I'd love to see another hair pic after the first of the year.

Urdrago, I hope mom and baby are doing well. GAW how many times have you called Bryce since Friday?? I'm sure you are glad to be home.

LIFE, get off that crazy train, not worth it. Best news ever for me, i accepted a position in our cardiac rehab dept. It's based in the fitness center. Teach lifestyle modification classes. Work along exercise physiologists and dietician. Monitor patients for for exercise intolerance (cardiac arrthymias, blood sugars ) as they begin treadmill, elliptical etc. Most patients have had open heart surgery, vascular surgery, heart attacks. And I get to wear gym clothes to work and listen to xm radio that's piped into the gym. What an environment to have for an office! I'm beyond excited. Stress was by far a large contributor to my bc. I just cant stay on that road. Once you identify a contributing factor that you know in your heart is not good, please make even a small change to make it better or eliminate it all together.

Ingerp, glad you are doing well on anastrozole. I'm 6 months in. Joint stiffness and rotating aches in the bones. A definite difference but not affecting quality of life enough to switch meds. I just cant sit very long in one place. A desk job would not work for me at all.

Engine, how is janice? And you too maggie! Duffy, djt, hiking lady..everyone I didnt mention..I wish everyone a healthy 2019. Deb

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

Catching up with all the posts because I'm back in the cold north.

Udrago - Sorry to hear you are having to deal with the burn. Like others mentioned I used Miaderm, and Aquaphor (especially the really greasy one). When burn got worse I had these cool sheets to put on I got on Amazon. Lindi skin cooling pads. It really felt good.

DebAL - Congrats on the new position.

Frog - I've been dealing with a lot of anxiety recently too. Hubby was concerned but I reminded him last go around I also dealt with a lot of emotional issues as treatment was ending. I think it is a little more difficult due to winter here. I definitely battle seasonal affective disorder and the sun in Florida reminded me I need to get my light box out and use it. For me depression and anxiety usually come together in waves.

GAW - sorry to hear Bryce ended up with a cold on top of it all. I'm guessing the coughing is a good thing though. I know when my mom had her bypass deep breathing and coughing was encouraged.

Happy New Year All! Looking forward to a better 2019. Of course starting it with a Herceptin infusion early on the 2nd. Who needs champagne? ;-)

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

Hi DebAl,

All is well here. We see the oncologist again in February. The incision is still draining, some days a little and other days more. We'll probably see the surgeon again next month. I think the only option is to go in and clean it up, but that means drains, etc. I have heard of this lasting a year or so in some cases. Otherwise, she is feeling fine and her hair is coming back. Mostly, I wish it was possibklle for her to get a less stressful job.