Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

Frog Thank you. Yes December 28th was the day that they discovered I had cancer. Now you're going to think this is pretty Kookie but how I got through this date is I changed up some events so that it didn't seem like everything was falling back into place. It seemed to help me a lot to get through that date. Good to hear that you got to travel even though you're doing treatment. That dry skin is pretty miserable I only experienced at sensation on my back now. My OC told me to eat more foods with fat like avocados and stuff like that. As well as lotion up every day with a good moisturizer. I too am not sleeping well at night. I need to start taking stuff to get better night sleep as well. I don't know if it's anxiety but I'm waking up with my ankles crossed really tight, or my hands are aching and feeling like they're falling asleep or I'm fighting my pillow all night. I just know that I am not sleeping.

Duffy thank you for sharing once again your experiences during your first and second bout of cancer. I think it's so sweet that your husband was concerned. I'm glad you shared your anxiety and experiences so that I would understand and know that this is a normal thing that I just need to process through. Your hair is looking very nice. Also since I'm not a fan of either one of the college teams that you girls are so you will not hear any Guff from me. LOL

Deb that is great news that you got to get a new job! It sounds like you really enjoy it as well. It is tough sitting at a desk and walking across the room. Those first initial steps are slow and stiff. However my second job I'm moving and grooving so I don't feel that stiffness once I get going. The radiation doctor nurse told me that weight gain is expected on Anastrozole because of the fact that we have no estrogen on our body and that will slow down our metabolism. Have you heard anything like that?

Engine that is great news about Janice starting to feel better and turning the corner. Glad to hear you got to spend time with your family for the holidays too.

I had a powwow with the significant other this morning regarding how things have been going between us. It was pretty hard to admit to him that I felt like he had been pretty hard on me this past year. I felt I needed to get it out in the open though because I can feel some resentment inside of me building. I don't know if I was just overly sensitive this year or if this is how he handles stressful events. We talk things out and hopefully we're getting back on the right track. I guess time will tell.

What's everybody's plans for New Year's? Believe it or not I have no desire to go out and party I just want to stay home, chillax and watch a good comedy.

Well my laundry is not going to get done with me sitting in my recliner watching TV and talking to everybody out here. LOL

I will check in again before the new year.

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Frog, thanks for the eye ointment info. Hoping Round 3 of Xeloda goes well and that you have a lovely visit with your parents. Also wishing you luck with your anxiety. I fell apart when I got home from Colorado on Friday night - I definitely understand.

DebAL, congrats on the new position. So nice to have less stress! I have to figure out a way to reduce mine...

Duffy, I'm with you on the seasonal depression. I'm so happy the days are getting longer from here on out. Re my son, they want him to cough within reason, but having a cold after having had your sternum cut open twice in two weeks isn't so great. He says his chest is "clicking" now, so I'm worried he reopened the fracture they repaired in the second surgery. Ugh. I'll second the champagne you mentioned!

Engine, I'm glad Janice is doing well. Hoping the draining is minimal enough that they decide against another surgery.

Urdrago, how's Baby Charlie doing? Hoping your burn is improving!

Happy New Year to you all! I didn't know any of you at this time last year, but I surely couldn't have made it through the nightmare of 2018 as well as I have, without you. Thank you all so much for being part of my life (but sorry for the reason why we are in this together). Wishing everyone a joyous, prosperous, HEALTHY 2019! Love you bunches!

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

Hi GAWarrior,

Thanks so much.. I hope we can avoid more surgery too.

I love the last paragraph of your message. All I can say is amen and ditto. You all have been a wonderful support group.

Here's to a healthy and happy new year to all of you!

• life1963

GaWarrier nailed it!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Thank you everyone for all your sound advice and kind words of encouragement. I've said it before and I'll say it again "My loneliness went away when I found you."

GaWarrier, InnaB, Undrago, Frog, Duffy, Interg, Deb, DJT, Maggie ,Hickinglady, Engine and Linda.

Huggs to you all!

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

I ditto love, hugs, appreciate of advise, friendships and support..may we all have a healthier year! To New beginnings..Cheers

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

Cheers to you All!

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2019! I appreciate being part of such a wonderful group.

LIFE. back to your weight gain and arimidex question. I dont feel weight gain is a given but I think it will take extra effort. There is a 'doing well on AI ' thread that has discussed this topic. Several have done well at keeping the weight off.

Have a good day everyone!

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

Love you, guys! Happy new year! May it be healthier than the previous one

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

I'm back from a week-and-a-half vacation with some of my kids and while I hate to get back on the treadmill (by that I mean work routine, but also I guess literally the treadmill!!), at some point it's just time. It's funny to think of all that happened in 2018--how I went into it thinking it'd be an uneventful year. Joke was on me!! Even though I've got 4.5 months left, I'm starting to get excited about getting the Herceptin behind me in mid-May. I think it knocks me for a bit of a loop every time (although I know a lot of women say they have zero SEs), and am wondering if these colds I've been having all fall (and all through my vacation!) are related to the nasal passage impacts of the H. I think I mentioned I'm planning a vacation for right after I stop H but just in the last few days decided I'll postpone it for a week or two--I got on a plane the day after my last infusion on 12/21 and that's really not great timing. Other than that 2019 should be quiet (fingers crossed)--the last three years we've had weddings and/or college graduations. Nothing special going on this year, although maybe I shouldn't assume that???

Anyway--I feel like I'm rambling. I'll blame that on the late-night travel across 2/3 of the country. I do appreciate you all--not sure if you are aware I'm technically not part of this group, but the May 2018 chemo group just never took off and y'all have been awesome hand-holders. Here's a toast to only good news this year!!

• egregious
    egregious Member Posts: 145

Urdrago,

What a beautiful baby!!!

Congratulations!!!

Hope you’re almost done with rads

• urdrago71

ingerp, good for you back to routine of working out. Me too, and Im hoping that makes these muscle take back over. :-) Happy New Year and happy you found us.

Egregious, thank you...Rads..grrrr I wish I cld say uneventful. But the missing skin says pain. Yes, it spoke loudly at me over this last weekend. Today i have slightly sticky foam pads covering it with silvadine, from RO office. Only Thursday and Friday left and those are boost so Im keeping my fingers cross. Im healing...

Weekend is around the corner, sending good vibes to all..cyber hugs

• InnaB2018

Hair! Finally can go topless!

• ingerp

Excellent, InnaB!! Before you know it it'll be driving you crazy like mine is!!

• urdrago71

Innab, u look marvelous!!

Update: today was the end of Rads. No bell ringing they gave out cookies.

I start Xeloda towards end of month, and PER scan end of March..im so exhausted to the point that I have a very difficult time getting sleep, more than 4 hours at a time.

• life1963

Undrago Yes! That is exactly how tired I was. I was so tired but yet I couldn't sleep. Just now starting to get some of my energy back to where I'm not tired in the afternoon but still not sleeping worth a ....

Ya for being done with rads!!! Now your skin can start healing. Once I got done with radiation I started taking vitamin B for stress I think it's called stress complex. I'd started taking vitamin D as well. It seemed to help with my energy. I just had an appointment with my rad doctor and she said that my energy will continue to get better each month.

Here is your bell!! 🔔

HUGGS!!

• life1963

InnaB you are looking good!!

Hope the doc let's you get one of those machines for swelling. Really works!

• urdrago71

Life, grrrr, I decided Im going to try benadryl see if that takes the edge off so i can sleep. I did that during chemo, so why not... Happy you have some energy back. I even started walking the treadmill at lunch thinking I wld take the fatigue off. Well it hasnt worked so far.. The other thing Im noticing is cramps throughout my legs and toes. Werid!! Im taking magnesium and eating bananas.

Happy weekend everyone, sending peaceful, calming hugs...

• debal

morning everyone,

Beautiful lid InnaB! You look great. Mine is curly a bit out of control. I can make mine look like Don King if I try. Lol. Once it gets going it really seems to take off.

Urdrago, I hope you get some relief with your skin issues. Congrats on finishing rads. Cut your self some slack as far as the energy goes. Dont be discouraged. Even a day here and there of being less tired is progress. Hang in there. Howz the baby?

Linda, how are you doing? Robin, please give an update when you can

Hope everyone is having a good start to the new year! Deb

• ingerp

Just re: energy, besides having a cold for two weeks, I’m attributing my lethargy to a little SAD. I think I get it every winter.

And my hair is officially long enough that I hate it. I knew the tight curl would drive me crazy. Gonna have hubs buzz it this weekend. Not super short but shorter. I’d go to a salon but I just did that in December. <call meMs. Grumpypants>

• life1963

Interg before you buzz would you be willing to share a picturezd? I would like to see it! Mine is super curly as well.

Deb would like to see yours as well!

• gawarrior

IngerP, glad your holiday vacation was good. And, you've always been part of this group, in my mind. It's too bad the May group never took off, though, for those ladies' benefit. I can't imagine having gone through this without all you wonderful ladies and Engine.

InnaB, congrats on the hair! Woot!

WooHoo, Urdrago - big congrats on finishing rads! I'm especially glad your shoulder can heal now - you must be miserable. I'm hoping you aren't too sore to hold that new grandbaby.

On my end, Bryce continues to heal well. He was allowed to start driving again (as long as there is no pain). He still has that stupid cough, but they gave him RX cough medicine which is helping. He has a check up with the cardiologist tomorrow.

My daughter and son-in-law came this weekend for a late Christmas, which we had pushed back because I was in Colorado. It occurred to me that between holidays and my surgery and my son, I've gotten to see her every month since September, even though she lives in Tampa. Yay! :)

Here's the latest hair pic for me. I was 4 months PFC yesterday. There's a lot of gray in there, so I tried using a semi-permanent blond hair color on Friday. Clearly, it didn't take well, but now I think I'm more white than gray. Ugh. I am not wearing the wig except at work where I've seen some patients for a decade and don't want to shock them with my uber-short gray hair. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to have hair, but I feel like I look about 15 years older than they all think I am, lol. I may get brave and grab some dark brown hair color today to see if it works...

• ingerp

Okay just because you asked. This is first thing in the morning (no make-up, haven’t even brushed my teeth!).

See I just see it growing out into poodle hair. Hubs is reluctant to cut it—honestly I think he’s a little jealous because his hair is definitely going in the opposite direction.

GAW—fantastic news on Bryce. I think your hair looks adorable. Maybe throw on some bigger jewelry and say the hell with it? Your patients will be fine with it, *especially* the ones who have known you a long time.

(And FWIW—I favorited the March group too a long time ago. You guys are definitely way more active!!)

• InnaB2018

GAWarrior, Ingerp, great hair! Green with envy! Ingerp, it’s not poodle hair, it’s tight thick curls! I’d love to have it.

GAWarrior, great news about Bryce! Young people heal so fast. Yay for seeing your daughter every month! Mine lives 20 min away and I see her about twice a month. She is working and studying, in her defense.

About May group: I concur! That’s why I am hanging out with you guys, although my chemo started on May 31. You’ve been a great help to me throughout this nightmare, can’t imagine doing it without you!

Cyber hugs and kisses!

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

Happy New Year All!

Love seeing all the hair pictures. Ingerp - your curls look great. Just remember as it grows the curls will soften some.

GAW - I've been also considering coloring hair but can't decide if it is worth it at this point. Which semi-permanent color did you use? I actually thought about just doing a "fanciful" rinse. I used those in my younger years when I'd bleach out too much in the sun. Glad to hear Bryce is continuing to improve and love that you have been seeing your daughter more this year. Is she doing Disney? My FB memories are full of my trip with daughter last year. Still can't believe how fast 2018 passed.

InnaB - Congrats on joining the topless crowd!

Urdrago - so glad your rads are finished. I hope you have quick healing on your skin issues.

• linda2119
    linda2119 Member Posts: 60

Hi, everyone:

I'm doing fine on the trial drug Verzenio - most noticeable side effect is increased GI activity (that's how the nurse put it!). It is annoying but I can deal with it. My first Zometa infusion was a struggle. Very hard to go back to the chemo place again, very hard to have an IV infusion instead of via port, and I did have the flu-like symptoms the day after - just as you predicted, Hiking Lady! But it's done, so that's good. Bone density test on Tuesday. Still seeing the study MO every other week. So I'm done but I'm not done, you know?

Hair growth - you all look good! Robin - yours looks significantly longer than when I saw you a couple of weeks ago! Mine is awfully gray on top, and what came in was black and straight, not brown like before. And my eyebrows are not as thick as they used to be. Oh, well.

Undrago - leg cramps - this has been an issue for me all along. I did find some relief with tonic water - drank about 4 ounces each night before bed. Also staying hydrated helps too.

I'm struggling more emotionally than before. I know the holidays exacerbated it, but it's hard to get around the what if's! One day at a time. Exercising is helping - today is a beautiful Colorado day and hubby and I are going to play 9 holes! That will help.

Thanks to you all - enjoy reading and catching up!

Linda

• debal

Linda, I'm sorry about the emotional struggles this stupid disease puts us all through. Like you said one day at a time is all you can do sometimes. I hope you beat your hubby at golf! Exercise definitely helps.

Robin, Ingerp looking good! Just got off the treadmill. I would not dare go out in public like this lol. No color right now just letting it go. 7 months PFC. It's pretty unruley but not complaining. I hope everyone has a good day.

• ingerp

Deb that looks lovely. I wish my curls were that soft

• gawarrior

IngerP, I like your curls! I can understand your frustrations with the curls, though, because mine is "just" beginning to curl (poodle like) when it's freshly washed. I can't do a thing to get it to lay down. 6 months ago, who'd have thought we'd ever be griping about our hair, lol?

InnaB, it's nice to have your daughter nearby. They never visit often enough, do they? :)

Urdrago, I hope the Benadryl is working and you are sleeping more.

Duffy I used Clairol Natural Instincts. Do a strand test first if you decide to color it. Some people's hair seems to repel the color and some takes it up too much (like Urdrago said it pulled a lot of red in her hair). I got a darker color and dyed it again today... Much better (see below). No, my daughter isn't running the Disney race this year (she couldn't last year either because she had a pelvic stress fracture. Just my SIL and I ran it). She was training for it, but ran a half marathon in Nov and now her hip is bothering her so she decided not to push it. Yep, I have a bunch of FB posts coming up from last year, too. Good thing we didn't know then what was coming up in the next couple of months afterwards.

Linda, your hair is nice and thick! Hoping the color changes for you as it comes in more. I'm glad the trial drug is going well. I'm sorry you're struggling emotionally, though. It hits at weird times, doesn't it? Lately, I've been able to keep my fears in check, but this weekend was a struggle for me, too. Maybe because we're hitting right around the anniversary of (impending) diagnosis? I think the holidays had something to do with it, too. They certainly weren't as "carefree" as in all the years before. The spector of this kept hovering over my head, especially with my son's health concerns.

DebAL, your hair is gorgeous! I love the color. Hoping mine will look as nice in 3 mo!

• linda2119
    linda2119 Member Posts: 60

What hit me emotionally was saying goodbye to my middle daughter who lives in Chicago. My oldest son lives in town, and my youngest daughter has one more semester in college in St. Louis, and is looking to move back to Colorado. But my daughter - she says she'll move back, she's just not ready. I couldn't help but think - ok, you're not ready, but these next few years may be my best years before recurrence. And that hit me really hard. How do we get the confidence back that we're going to be alive and NED for a while? Sometimes I believe that, but what if it doesn't go that way?

It's still a lot to deal with....

Thanks for listening.

• Batata
    Batata Member Posts: 22

I've been MIA for a while again, just trying to work through the emotional side, things are more confused (anxious, depressed) since rads, but I'm comforted to see it's not me going crazy. Spent today trying to catch up with all the posts, and I'm overwhelmed with how beautiful and strong and funny you all are. Wishing and praying that 2019 is filled with inner peace, good health, happiness and those we love.