Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

urdrago, the grand baby is so beautiful! I was also diagnosed in March of last year. Grim anniversary for the both of us. Good luck which Xeloda!

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

Urdrago--she is too cute. I know of two babies born within the last two weeks--so much fun seeing pictures of infants again!!

I'm coming up on my anniversary too. Funny--I don't remember the exact date from 2016 but will always remember March 2nd because it was such a weird day. The pathologist failed to send my biopsy results to my BS, so when I had a post-mammo check-in with my RO, who is part of the same medical system, she had the results and told me about my dx. I was so surprised--at the dx, but also had not expected to receive biopsy results from her. I went across the street to my BS's office and told them I was ready to schedule surgery and they kind of went, "Huh?" I went home but my husband was leaving for Switzerland later that day so I decided not to tell him until he got back. And there was a huge windstorm and we lost power shortly after he left. I bundled up the dogs and took them to McDonald's. My BS called me while I was sitting in my car with a cheeseburger. He said he wanted me to come in for an US and I said, "When?" and he said, "How about now?" The dogs and I drove across town to his office, got the US, and I scheduled the surgery and got an initial appointment with my MO. (Oh--and I'd taken a little something to calm me down that I got while I was in. . . um. . . Colorado. Remember I said it was a weird day??)

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

DebAL, have fun!

Okay, Ingerp, you have got to tell me how you got the...um...stuff home with you from Colorado? I was just there and wouldn't have dared try to sneak anything onto a plane. I do admit, though, there have been some trying times lately when I could have used...something... or a huge glass of wine. Anyhow, just curious. Sounds like you did indeed have a weird dx day last year. I can't imagine.

Urdrago, Charile is adorable! I love to see pics of infants - they're so precious, thanks for sharing. Good luck with the Xeloda on Round 3.

So, I have my exchange surgery coming up this Friday. I can not wait to get rid of these TEs. I was also diagnosed in March last year - can't believe this has taken an entire year to get from start to finish. Hoping this next year is wayyyyy better for all of us.
  • urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

Ingerp, what a chaos of the day ur dx occurred. I went in a store and found cbd oil with thc so shocked. I took a second glance and than passed.. thought it wld take the edge of for the night of my achy joints..lol

Ingerp, Innab, & Gawarrior thanks I think all babies make me smile at the precious faces and innocences...

Gawarrior, are u taking time off for the surgery? Hows ur son doing. Did he get rid of the chest cold?

Btw: I was reading back through post and I think Duffy is on vacation so we might not hear from her for a bit..

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

Hi everyone!

So I know I said that I would catch up and get back to you all two weekends ago. Good gravy! I haven't even had a chance to reread everything yet. I hope you are all not having a secret meeting, thinking about booting me out of the group for lack of participation. LOL

Thinking of you all. Love the pictures that are being posted! You are all such lovely ladies! What an adorable grandbaby!!!

Prayers to you Duffy for your unanswered questions about what's going on.🙏

Just from glancing it sounds like everybody is doing okay for the most part. Like I said 2 weeks ago 🙄 I will catch up on the reading and get to know more with what exactly is going on. Till then🤗😚

• ingerp

GAW--good luck on the surgery. I haven't had personal experience but I hope it's relatively gentle with a quick recovery. I'll PM you with some deets on. . . that other topic. ;-)

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

Urdrago: What a cute grandbaby!

DebAL: Janice is doing better. The swelling and bruises are just about gone. They are are much smaller bruise spots than before. Her shoulder is still very painful. The PT is helping, but it is slow. The hope is that she didn't tear anything in her shoulder when she fell. They want to give PT a good try and see what happens. If it doesn't improve much, they will order an MRI.

• ingerp

Hey for those of you who did rads last year, how is that hooter feeling? I finished October 4th, but I'm still sore to the touch, still muscle sore when I stretch that arm, . . . . None of it bad, and I'm sure it'll all fade in time (and I'm hoping continuing yoga will help the inflexibility) but I don't remember having lingering issues when I had rads in 2016.

• InnaB2018

Ingerp, my radiated side is definitely less stretchy. My foob is tighter on that side as well. My PS said that it’s the scar tissue from radiation and he will clean it up during my exchange surgery. Can’t wait... it’s goig to be on May 22.

• ingerp

Something to look forward to, Inna!! (Five days after my last Herceptin--again, not that I'm counting or anything. . . ;-) )

• urdrago71

I'm sore as well and almost 5 months out. I find under my shoulder blade wrapping around across my ribs to boob sore. Cant wait for the pain to go away and still tight to stretch..

Sending strength as a couple of u go thru surgery soon.

• ingerp

Thanks, guys. I'm not concerned, but also won't see my RO until early May and I'm *guessing* stretching and stuff is good for it but wanted to get y'all's input.

• urdrago71

ingerp

• ingerp

Urdrago--I'll take it but not sure what I'm being congratulated for? If it was about the end of Herceptin, I meant InnaB's exchange surgery is going to be five days after my last one. (Eleven weeks from tomorrow, but, again, who's counting? ;-) ) As the countdown continues I'm excited to start a new month but try to remind myself that, just like with chemo last summer, I'm trying not to wish away parts of my life. There seems something so wrong about that, but part of me would like tomorrow to be May 1st rather than March 1st.

How about I share that "Congratulations" with all of us powerful women for being fabulous and staying strong!!!

• urdrago71

lol, ooops

• InnaB2018

My hair now now wavy in the back! Maybe I will get a few curls after all :)

• gawarrior

Hi All,

Just checking in. Exchange surgery went well, I was home around 12:30. I'm all bandaged, so have no idea how I look. The PS told hubby he put in 2 different sizes since he had taken so much tissue from the cancer side - interesting... Hoping it turns out symmetrical. No fat grafting today, but possibly will have it this summer, depending on how they settle. I don't have much pain (yay!), but do have some nausea (yay for having zofran left over from chemo, it helps a lot).

InnaB, congrats on the wavy hair! You might get chemo curls yet!

Have a great weekend, y'all.

• InnaB2018

GAWarrior, congrats on the exchange! Keep us posted about your progress.

• Dleon24
    Dleon24 Member Posts: 8

I'm with you all ,,had my lumpectomy Feb 21 and have Triple Negative . 1.4 cm tumor in left breast , all scans clear for cancer anywhere else . High grade tumor 3 . Sentimial node was positive but with no exterior nodal involvement . My lumpectomy was fine I went back to work 5 days later , Hardly any pain my ck25-29 blood work came back at 16 showing as if I do not have any cancer antigens . However treatment is still needed. 4 rounds of Adriamycin followed by 12 weeks of taxol followed by 6 weeks radiation. Like the rest of you This has turned my life upside down and I feel

Like it’s a bad dream I am trying to be positive but scared shit . Im a 48 year mom of 3 boys I am also a teacher . I asked my DR If I can start my chemo end of April instead of end of March because I want to go on a big vacation before I start this chemo journey , at first she said go waiting 65 days out is not a risk then I kept reading that you should start within 30 days after surgery , I called her back she said it will be fine but if I want do one treatment before I go , but Im afraid to do that and then leave the country . Also not sure about the port any suggestions or knowledge on how fast you should start chemo and if port is really beneficial? My biggest fear is having a reaction to chemo ... also when does your hair loss start to happen ? Thank you and keep the faith God Bless is all .

• ingerp

Inna—looking great on the hair front!!

GAW—congrats on getting that behind you. Maybe I shouldn’t ask but what’s next on your medical appt calendar? Are you free and clear for a while?

Dleon—just an FYI that we mostly started treatment last April and I know there’s a “Starting Chemo March 2019” thread—it’d be good for you to check in with them. Timing/hair loss/. . . depend a lot on your specific treatment. You can add that information to your profile and make it public so it’ll appear in your signature. There are also threads for various diagnoses and treatments. I did not get a port and was fine withoutit. My hair started falling out around Taxol #3 I think. You will likely get premeds before chemo to help ward off any reaction. Listen to your doctor about travel. Many women breeze through the first few treatments so it may be okay for you to travel.

• gawarrior

Dleon24, Welcome, but I am sorry you are here. It's understandable to be scared - we're here if you need to vent or have questions. I'm still scared and I'm on the other side of tx (worried about recurrence now).

I am also triple negative (stage 1, 1.8 cm tumor and had clear lymph node scans). I was where you are a year ago. I had the same chemo you will be getting (4AC + 12 T). I had a port placed and I HIGHLY recommend you get one. Adriamycin is nothing to mess with - the chemo nurses will come at you looking like a hazmat team. It is very toxic to the skin (they will also drape you before giving it). For me (but you must make your own decision), having to get poked 16 times (weekly with taxol) wasn't something I wanted to do, plus I worried about blowing out veins after so many IVs. A member in this group didn't have a port (InnaB?) and had a lot of trouble with her veins toward the end of her tx - hopefully she'll chime in with her thoughts.

As for chemo, the infusions were no problem - no pain and you just hang out watching a movie on your phone or reading. Sometimes people bring someone with them to talk to. See what your facility looks like as that was a problem sometimes in mine (too few chairs and no privacy). Your MO should be able to tell you what side effects (SEs) to expect and when you'll get them. For me, I got the AC infusion on a Tues afternoon and could feel it hitting like I was getting the flu on Thurs afternoon. By Saturday afternoon, I was feeling better. You will be exhausted a lot. They can handle the nausea with meds. Keep a chemo diary and record your symptoms (day they came and day they left). My MO says the symptoms don't vary much, so you can plan around them if you do this. Look into icing your hands and feet to help with neuropathy (they tell you you only need to do this for T (taxol), but I did it for all infusions and still had some problems with neuropathy). Despite getting neuropathy, I think the icing helped.

Hair loss started about Day 11 after the first AC, it was coming out by the handful at Day 15 or 16.

As for traveling, TNBC doesn't play around. Some forms grow very fast, so waiting 65 days to treat may not be the best thing for you (although your tumor was removed - not sure if that changes things). I was in the same boat, I really wanted to take a cruise that had been planned for a year and, although my MO was against it, he let me go but insisted on giving me one chemo tx first (my tumor was not removed until after chemo). Then, while on the trip, I had to drive from my home to the cruise (no flying = germs) and DH touched EVERYTHING for me (buttons, doorknobs, light switches, etc) so I kept germs to a minimum. You MUST be scrupulously clean and avoid germs as much as possible. Wear a mask - I'm not joking. My MO had me go to an urgent care at the first cruise port and get blood work done/faxed to him. He also made me take cipro as a precaution. I'm not saying this to stop you from going, but telling you it is very serious if you are somewhere and you get neutropenia. He said to have an escape plan so that you know where a hospital is if you get a fever because it can get bad very quickly. This group had a couple of ladies who were hospitalized with it. Just saying, if you go, be very careful - I went and was so happy to be doing something normal in the midst of the chaos.

Good luck to you! We're here to help if you have more questions. :) I second Ingerp's recommendation that you look for the March, 2019 chemo thread. It is VERY helpful to go through this at the same time as other ladies who can share experiences so you know what is "normal" and what to expect.

• InnaB2018

Hi, Dleon24. Welcome and sorry you are here. Yes, I was the unlucky one without the port. If I had to do 12 Taxols, I would’ve definitely got it mid-way. But I was scheduled for four dose dense sessions and the problems didn’t start until after AC. AC is very hard on veins, but Taxol wasn’t easier for me either. I hated it more then AC. Check out Tiffany’s Terrific Tips on this web site for suggestions on how to survive chemo. Drink a lot of water, like 3 liters a day, and try to move around even if you are not feeling well. It’s counterintuitive, I know, but somehow is working. Ask us anything, we are here for you. Good luck!
  • InnaB2018

Oh, and my oncologist made me cancel the cruise I had scheduled and absolutely refused to wait with chemo until I come back from it. She said that there is a rather short window between surgery and the beginning of chemo when it’s most effective and she didn’t want me to miss it.

• Frog-on-the-lilypad
    Frog-on-the-lilypad Member Posts: 159

Hello people,

How has everyone been? I absolutely love the pics, as Debal said you all look like super models😘. Inna B, get ready for curls dear, they are coming your way🤣.

I will be starting round 6 of Xeloda tomorrow. A bit more achy and tired than before. MO said she wants me to do all 8 rounds.

LINDA, what a relief. I cannot believe what you went through. My diagnosis date is coming up and I find myself thinking about all the little incidents that happenned before that. I found the lump on the 10th of march, met my BS on 16th who mentioned thrice that she was”very concerned” after the mammogram and ultrasound. And on 23rd March we knew for sure. Last time I went to see her in Dec before the trip, she booked me in on the ultrasound and mammogram on the very same week I found out last year. I am trying to keep myself cool 🤣🤣not happenning and collected( this I am trying to be). I dont know why we chose the same dates though. So I was trying to house hunt and keep all these thoughts at bay. Now, due to us being naive kids while buying houses we got into some process loop hole that everyone else knew about and we lost the house inspite of being the higgest bidders. Waaaaaaaa. And all the house available right now are, well , we dont like them. So, that also explains me being MIA.

Also, I joined a belly dance class. I am very excited about it as this is something I wanted to do and do it only for myself. Also, because, after one full year on Zoladex injections, my stomach is so bloated, I look pregnant. I have a few friends who are pregnant with their second ones and that makes me feel a bit mad/sad too for us. I feel I have been trying to just collect things to feel rotten about.

Now, the good things, I am still holding okay on Xeloda. I got offered a work from home job for 3 months. Its 4 hours everyday and I chose the hours, so thats some good news. I do not feel like I will be able to do, that is a totally different story😬. Also, eyebrows and hair is back in all their curly glory. I have this huge halo of hair around me in the morning. I should take a picture.

Robin, so glad your surgery went well. How is Bryce doing?

Urdrago, your niece looks adorable, you cracked me up with your hair comment.

Seems a lot of us are nearing our diagnosis dates.

Dleon, I wish you lots of strength, love and good friends ( includes online friends, they are the best). Drink lots of water, get a port, it works, inspite of them never getting mine in on the first try.Take some hard ginger candies with you to take the taste of the meds off. Treat yourself kindly. Body wants to rest , you go rest. I lost my hair after the second AC, mine was every 2 weeks. Read up on the first few pages of this thread there will be some pretty amazing info there. And as Ingerp mentioned be a part of March 2019 and support each other across continents.

Ingerp, I still have achy boobs from the radiation. MO said some people feel it for a year or more. It should start feeling better from 6 month onwards.

• ingerp

Frog—good to hear from you. Re: the house hunt, I always told myself that if we didn't get a particular house, it wasn't meant to be. There's another house out there that you'll like even better. And I keep forgetting that I only finished rads five months ago. I keep thinking things will get better a year out (hair, nails, hooter) but all of those anniversaries are still a ways away. My latest obsession is what to do with my hair—I have an appt for a cut when I go visit my kids in CA at the end of the month. Little trim or cut most of it off?? I'm just really doubting my patience to look like a poodle while the curls grow out (which I do think at some point I kinda want to do—I thought I just might be “cool short hair lady" the rest of my life but it turns out I'm kinda missing my old hair).

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

Sorry to leave you all but oh my we had an amazing week in Mexico. Perfect weather lots of sun. We returned late last night tan and relaxed.

I still have no definite answer, since I was gone when US report came back. But I am headed in late tonight 10:30pm for a Breast MRI. Message from MO just said he doesn't think there is anything to worry about but wants a Breast MRI with implant rupture protocol to make sure everything is okay. My Herceptin infusion is this Wednesday so I'm hoping all have copies of all reports and some answer by then.

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

morning all,

Duffy, glad you had a wonderful trip. Keep us posted on your MRI.

Frog, yes, would love to see your hair. My curls are everywhere but I think I have enough to try a flat iron to straighten them. Just not sure I feel like fighting it. I laugh at myself because I'm due for a new driver's license pic this year..like it matters!!! I already get looks at the airport when they look at me then my license lol

InnaB. Looks like your hair is "bending" I bet curls are coming!

Engine, I hope PT helps Janice's shoulder. Hopefully they gave her home exercises too.

GAW, I hope you have a speedy recovery from the exchange. It definitely takes time to get used to the permanent implants.

I hope everyone is feeling well. Time to push this cat off my lap and get ready for work! Deb

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

• ingerp

Deb--I had to smile. I get a new work ID every three years and happened to need one last summer. Yes--it's me wearing a baseball cap. Whatcha gonna do. . .

• Batata
    Batata Member Posts: 22

Hi everyone. It's been a while since I checked in. I'm just a little bit worried and overwhelmed. I've developed what I think is Mondor's disease. I had to diagnose myself off the internet; it's a very rare reaction to breast surgery which is similar to cording in the arm, but it's down my left side. Extremely painful. It's a swollen vein. My oncologist wasn't concerned, and said he couldn't feel anything, even though my husband and I could. Had an ultrasound and the technician could feel it, but said there was nothing showing up on the screen. So, I'm having a PET scan on Sunday. And. Yes. This is around the same time last year when I got my dx.

I'm just freaking out. I was supposed to have the PET scan today, but at the last minute I called and postponed it. I'm being irrational, but I'm scared.

Anyway, if anyone here has any experience with Mondor's please let me know. I'm trying to find a new oncologist as well. Emailed the French specialist I was following up with but he hasn't answered.

Not doing well on Tamoxifen so I stopped. Another thing to worry about. I went through the boards here, and will probably try to go back on it more gradually. But now that I have Mondor's I'm even more scared about the circulation issues it can cause.

I'm sorry it's all so negative, but I needed to vent and no one else understands what it's like.