Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

Urdrago it has nothing to do with pain. I’ve just always been a bit of a fainter. It’s totally a mental thing. One chemo it took them three tries to get the IV in and I passed out in the chair. (Man *that* got me some attention!) If they don’t get it on the first try I get a little yalsey and it’s really my only source of anxiety through the whole process. As soon as I know it’s in I’m fine.

I’m having a half anniversary today. Six months PFC. :-)

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

GAWarrior, I am sure your scar will heal to be invisible. My mom had a surgery like that right next to her nose, and now none of us can even remember which side it was on. There's no scar at all!

Engine, Happy Janice is feeling better! What an ordeal.

My lymphedema keeps improving, but the arm is still bandaged. Can't wait to graduate to just a sleeve and a glove. I lost 2 inches of swelling. Can you imagine? Still have about an inch.

Next 2 weeks will be eventful because i have an appt with my PS, MO and a Cat scan. Anxious, as always.

Who is ready for the super bowltoday?!

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

Ingerp - thanks for the reminder today is my Half Anniversary too! Woo Hoo! Explains a lot. My neuropathy in my feet is no longer bothering me and my energy level is almost back to normal.

Engine - Glad to hear things are looking up for Janice.

InnaB - I'm ready for the Super Bowl although I'm more about commercials and food this year since I'm not a fan of either team. Since I'm doing WW trying to lose that last of my chemo weight gain, I found a good recipe for Buffalo Chicken lettuce wraps. Fingers crossed it is tasty.

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

sounds delish duffy! I'm breaking out the air fryer my sister in law got us for Christmas and making wings. Will add veggies on the side for good measure. I agree about the commercials. I must admit the trailor for pepsi commercial with lil jon cracks me up for some reason. Oh my, gets my funny bone!!. A local "kid" that went to high school with my oldest is #43 for the patriots Nate Ebner. So I will say go with NE for today. My son texted him yesterday and said my mom said "Go Pats and shes rooting for you" My other son said..NO WAY.. the day before super bowl will he text back. Ding..instantly a text back!! "Lol , tell your mom thanks" . I think it's the word mom that gets a response from good guys. I hope everyone has a good Sunday. Deb

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

Hi Urdrago,

She has a few very low impact exercises to do. So far, no difficulties doing them. We see the orthopedist next Friday. I suspect he will just say keep up with the PT for now and see how it goes.

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Urdrago, I'm glad Xeloda "seems" to be going well this time. Thanks for the food for the soul thoughts.

Happy 6 months PFC, IngerP and Duffy. I think we're all almost there - I'm 5 mo PFC tomorrow. Hard to believe it was that long ago already, especially when it sure seemed to take forever to get through it. Duffy, it's great to hear that you are doing so well with the neuropathy and your energy.

InnaB, wow - losing 2 inches is hard to imagine, You were really swollen!

Engine, glad that Janice is recovering.

Another SB in the books - congrats to the Pats. It's cool that Nate Ebner texted your son back, DebAL. :) I'm sad for the Rams, though - they did great holding the Pats until the last 7 minutes of the game. I'm sure they were all exhausted. Today is the Great Exodus from Atlanta - I'd hate to be anywhere near the airport...

I'm seeing the MO for a check up this afternoon, then have 4 other Dr visits between now and next Monday. I feel like this Dr thing can stop anytime now... My mohs incision seems fine, but it's pretty ugly. I'm hoping you're right about the scar, InnaB - these stitches are huge and the incision is right down the middle of my nose. Oh well, battle scars, lol.

Happy Monday, everyone - have a great week.

• ingerp

GAW--just echoing that a good friend had a very deep MOHS on her nose last year and I really can't see it any more (although I think she can remember where it was. . .).

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

well I spoke too soon. Im being taken off Xeloda as of this morning. Im having allergic reaction taking Claritin to counter it. I will know more when the doc. Calls. Maybe go straight to Immunotherapy ..

Happy Monday all

• InnaB2018
    Hello, ladies. Did anyone’s brows and eyelashes fall out for the second time? My eyelashes initially grew back strong and thick after chemo, but I recently noticed that they seem to be falling out again, and another layer grows in. Eyebrows became less thick too. What the hell?
  • maggie2
    maggie2 Member Posts: 240

InnaB, yes I lost all my lashes and brows a second time. It wasn’t as dramatic as the first time, though, because I didn’t lose them all at once. At about 4 months PFC, both started to thin and continued to fall out. Both lashes and brows have fully grown back in again, but they are definitely much thinner than they were. I had read that many women experience a second shedding.

Ingerp, after you having to fight to get your Xeloda covered by insurance, I’m sorry for you to read that you now are being taken off it. I hope your next step is determined very quickly.

• InnaB2018

Yes, Maggie, this sounds about right. I am in my 4 month Pfc. I hope mine will grow back too...

• urdrago71

Maggie, at first I was sad, but honestly of my body says no more than so be it. I felt like I had bronchitis and that with prilosec, nauses tablet and Claritin.

I can start again enjoying all the simple things a lot more. After Xeloda was Immunotherapy trial Keytruda, but the MO said they wld investigate all trials first and than call me. Im going to stay positive and live my life plan.

Hugs Engine and Janice for a healthy recovery Nice and slow..

Sending good vibes,

• gawarrior

Urdrago, I am so sorry to hear this. Hoping you are feeling better already. Good luck with the next step and getting into a trial quickly.

• ingerp

Inna--what I've read on BCO is that while we normally lose a few lashes here and there (just like head hair), chemo resets everything so that they all fall out at the same time. I think lots of women experience several cycles of losing lashes/brows until it starts to normalize. I went through a second shedding (now that I think about it it *was* about four months PFC) but I didn't lose all of them. I don't think they're back to normal yet but looking better. I believe after a while it'll get back to only losing a few periodically.

Urdrago--so sorry for all you're going through.

• InnaB2018

oh, Urdrago, I am so sorry about Xeloda! Let’s hope the next drug will treat you much better.

• urdrago71

Feeling better thats for sure..ugh..its weird how I was pretty good thru infusion and than I try to take oral pills and have difficulties. The doc MO is going to send me to GI doc. To ensure nothing is wrong with stomach or esophagus ect. Nothing like another doc to add to my list. Good news I dont need a colonoscopy!!

Ive noticed my eyelashes changing as well , happy its not just me. Cant wait to have eyelashes that stay one length..lol

• duffyzmom

Urdrago - Glad you are feeling better. It really makes you think about gut health doesn't it. It seems like a lot of the post chemo targeted therapies cause a multitude of GI issues. I've been reading about the ones for HER2+ and seems like extreme diarrhea is almost always a problem. I remember during chemo it took me quite awhile to get the GI stuff figured out. It required Prilosec and Pepcid. I told my MO, I'm afraid I"m going to end up with a ulcer. His response. Yeah, that happens sometimes.

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

Janice's eyelashes and eyebrows have still not really come back.

• Batata
    Batata Member Posts: 22

Hi Ladies and Engine! So much has happened for everyone since I was last on!

Hope your nose is feeling better now GAW, and glad that your son is finally on the road to recovery. It must have been so tough for you to go through all of this, on top of everything else. You are a warrior :)

Urdrago, congratulations on your grandson!! and so sorry you had to go through all of that with the Xeloda! I'm so scared to be starting my hormone blocker (Tamoxifen) because some of the SEs can be life threatening (stroke, uterine cancer, liver damage), but the fear of recurrence is right there on the other side. I should have started last month, after I finished rads, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Had a long discussion (argument) with my drs about it. I'm still not convinced. It's the same argument, trying to fix one thing but spoiling a bunch of others. I'm still dealing with the fallout from the chemo, including the whole struggle to stand up straight and walk (I still forget and end up doing this pretty funny stumble hobble until something kicks in and they start working, lol) Really horrible when it happens at work. If anyone else has this you can try moving/stretching your feet around for a couple of minutes before you stand up, it makes it better for me.

Linda, I'm so sorry for your loss. You're right. We can't overthink our lives. What will be will be. All we can do is try to be our best selves and live our best lives, day to day.

Engine, I hope Janice is feeling better. So much to go through :(

Life, I love your attitude, it's like I can hear you speaking in your posts :) So much of what you write is exactly how I feel. I'm also back to working 2 jobs, not so sure it's the best idea but I don't really have a choice right now. Silver lining is that at least I'm strong enough to be back I guess.

InnaB it was so weird to read about your swelling cause today I freaked out when I discovered a swelling over my right collarbone (the BC side). After the panic and palpitations subsided, I guessed it was probably lymphodemia, because I've been having pain in the surgery areas, and in my arm and my armpit is a little swollen. I neglected my arm exercises for a few days, and was sleeping on my right side (which I know I'm not supposed to do). I hope that if I behave the swelling will go down. Otherwise it's back to MO

Will try to add a pic with my funky hair. There is absolutely nothing I can do to make it behave, including gel, mousse and creams. Will just have to wait it though :) . It's almost harder for me going out with it now when it's so freaky than when I was bald and went topless.

Sending good vibes and big hugs to you all :)image

• gawarrior

Batata, it's so nice to see you on here! I love your hair, you look beautiful! I don't think it looks freaky at all. Mine is not quite as long as yours, but it's getting unruly, too. I figure it can do whatever it wants since it had to be sacrificed for chemo, lol. I'm sorry about your swelling but am sure it's lymphedema since it sounds so much like InnaB's swelling. And, my nose is better, thanks. I got the stitches out last Friday and it looks better than I thought it would.

Urdrago, how are you doing? What's the news on a trial - have you heard anything yet?

Frog, how are you? Are you back from your travels?

Engine, how is Janice doing?

Linda, you've been on my mind - I hope you and your family are finding a little corner of peace in your sorrow.

We've all been pretty quiet on here lately - it means we are getting on with our lives, which is great! Hugs to you all!

• ingerp

GAW--I agree that quiet can be good. Back in 2016 I knew it was a good sign when I wasn't on BCO quite as much. Still thinking about all my peeps a lot but it *is* a good thing when all of this stuff isn't quite so prominent in our heads. I know it'll be pretty front and center for me until I finish Herceptin in May, but honestly I'm hoping it starts to recede a bit in my brain space after that.

• urdrago71

Batata, ur hair looks like its got some wave ,really cute.. Ive got too much curl and ppl are asking if I curl it..lol no way!! Grandbaby is doing wonderful thx u, what a breathe of innocents..

So I hadnt post in a bit waiting on U of M to contact as Im using them for second opinion regarding everything I went thru lately with Xeloda. plz my MO wanting to send me to GI doc. I dont have any diarrhea, indigestion or no heartburn so I question the reasoning.

So Feb. 22nd heading to U of M to talk over their opinions.. I hope for a direction, as I want to reach then end of this train and jump off...

I feel good but muscle soreness everyday. And Im still tired every other day after work.. take a cat nap occasionally to rest for a sec.

Sending hugs to all

• I am back... and I missed you guys. I got back last week but was so jet lagged and then with school starting, it was too much. Last year this time I was back in India trying to support my sister and parents, little did I know that in a month my life would change. That has been on my mind a lot as well. Trip was good. Both sets of parents were happy to see us, they were happier when we told them about our plans to buy a new house. I guess, they feel better when they see me making plans for the future. I wish I could feel upbeat about it as much as everyone else. Dad had an elective prostrate surgery while we were there. The biopsy came back positive for adeno carcinoma. The doc mentioned that at his age (80), some 70% guys have malignant cells in the prostrate. I think this fact freaked out my hubby more than my dad. Anyways, no meds or anything for him. He needs to get his PSA levels checked regularly. He has recovered fine from the surgery and is back to his garden and writing.

So much has happenned in the group meanwhile. First of, Urdrago, thank you for that poster. I commend the hard work 😜 you put in for this. I am so sorry you are having such a hard time on Xeloda. My MO mentioned that a lot of people underestimate it as its pills. Is your MO thinking of reducing the dose? If you look into the xeloda threads, there are two in bco, one under the chemo topic another one under TNBC topic, you will see ladies who have been put on reduced doses or on one week on one week off cycles. I started round 5 on monday. I am tired the whole day. I am doing all the household work but its like even when I wake up after a good nights sleep I am aching. Also, my hands and feet look like I sleep on the streets

Robin, so good to know that Bryce is doing well and your Mohs went fine.

Debal, how are enjoying your new job?

Linda, I am so sorry for your loss. Sending you warm hugs.

Engine, I am so glad that Janice is recovering well. Gosh, what a nightmare.

Ingerp, InnaB, Life, Maggie, Duffyzmom, Batata, hope you guys are doing good. I am sorry if I missed anyone.

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

Sorry ladies and gent. I have been busier than a bumble bee making honey! Going to venture through and catch up on everybody out there this weekend. I thought it would be a great time to send a new pictures to see how everyone is looking these days. 😎 Here is mine!

• ingerp

Frog--good to hear from you. I think a lot of us are coming up on anniversaries (not the fun kind). Life you look wonderful!! That looks like normal hair!!!

• gawarrior

Hi Frog, it's good to see you on here! I am sorry to hear about your dad. If it helps, I was told the same thing about my dad - that it's likely that most males have malignant prostate cells after a certain age. Apparently prostate cancer grows so slowly, it's not something to worry about even though you WILL worry (who wouldn't?). Glad your trip was nice and that you're nearing the end of your xeloda.

IngerP, I'm hoping the same for all of us (that this whole nightmare starts to recede in our brains).

Urdrago, keep us posted on your second opinion. Good luck!

Okay, Life, I'll play along and post my hair pic. This is 5.5 months PFC. My nose is doing great -much better than I expected.

• duffyzmom

Sorry I've been MIA - Right now I'm living in the land of deja vu. So a few weeks ago I noticed a lump in my right breast. This is the same breast I had the lumpectomy and radiation. I'm still on Herceptin every 21 days so I mentioned it to Dr at my appointment this week. He did an exam and sure enough h.e felt a lump. I said 3 o'clock and he agreed we are both feeling the same lima bean sized lump. So I'm scheduled for an ultrasound on Thursday. Fingers crossed it is just scar tissue from the lumpectomy or radiation. Although I never felt it that entire month I was doing radiation and I was rubbing lotion on that breast 3-5 times a day.

So now for the deja vu.....Hubby and I are scheduled to fly to Mexico next Saturday. I do not plan to tell family/friends anything until I know for sure what is going on. Another secretive vacation.

On a lighter note...I'm loving all the hair pictures. Tuesday I have a hair appointment hopefully I'll get some shape to my hair.

• gawarrior

Oh no, Duffy - praying it is only scar tissue! I can't believe you're having to deal with this scare. Big hugs going out to you!

• InnaB2018

Good luck, Duffy. I am sure it’s just a scar tissue.

• urdrago71

Duffy, Sending positive thoughts and let it be scar tissue that built up after all the radiation. Our body has been going thru a lot..

I just didnt a boob check over the weekend..my scar from where i had lumpectomy ,wow. I touch one specific spot and that nerve sends a signal "let go"! Cant wait for that to be gone.

Gawarrior- u can just barely see the scar.. u healed nicely!! How is ur muscle strength, and do u have soreness after sitting too long or walking too long?

Frog, happy u u checked in. Sounds like you had a good time on vacation? How the house hunting going I wasnt sure if u found one yet?

Cyber hugs all.. stay warm winter is still vrry much here..