Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

I’m so sorry, Linda. That just sucks.

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

Hi everyone,

Krissy47: Welcome back. Please vent whenever you want.

Linda2119: I'm so sorry for your loss. Life can turn on a dime.

Thanks, everyone for the congrats on Janice's incision healing. Unfortunately, the joy over that didn't last. Janice was at a scrapbook retreat on Friday night in Oxnard and fell in the parking lot of a restaurant. She hit her head on the side of her car and separated her shoulder. She was alone and somehow drove back to the hotel (Not a good idea). When she got there, two of the ladies at the retreat who are nurses said she should go to an ER right away. My cousin, who was also at the retreat, drove Janice back to Kaiser Hospital near us and they ran two CT scans and xrays of her shoulder. After four tries, the orthopedist on call was able to get her should back in. Unfortunately, the CT scan showed that there was a small amount of blood inside her skull and they were going to consult a neurological surgeon. He said to rerun the CT and see if there was more blood. There wasn't, so they decided surgery may not be necessary, but they admitted her to ICU. They re-ran the CT last night and saw that the blood was diminishing, so they said she was ok to come home. I'm going to stay home from work the next few days and keep an eye on her. She's pretty tired and wobbly. Anyway, just when we thought we were done....

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

Oh my, just when Janice got over the last hurdle. Was there something in the parking lot that caused her to trip? I have two left feet especially in the winter and usually fall a few times. Prayers for gentle smooth ground for you both.

Sending hugs...

• ingerp

Oh Engine that's awful! Best wishes for a speedy recovery (and no more falls!).

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

Oh, God, so sorry, Engine! Wishing speedy recovery to Janice.

• Engine104

Thanks!

She's not sure. It was dark and she feels like she slipped on something. I wonder if the neuropathy had anything to do with it. She has it in her toes.

She seems a little better today. I am staying home from work today and tomorrow.

I am just so glad that it wasn't worse. Her counts are still not fully back from the chemo, so I know that contributes to the bleeding and bruising. Just so blessed that even with that her head injury didn't require surgery.

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

engine, I'm so sorry! Good call by everyone at the retreat to seek help. Best wishes, deb

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Oh, Linda, I am so sorry for your loss. It's amazing how life changes in the blink of an eye. I'm glad you still went to Phoenix, it was a good distraction. My prayers go out to you and your family. (Hoping you can get the GI SE's to settle down. I'm sure your heartbreak and stress is not helping).

Good grief, Engine, I am so sorry to hear about Janice. What a scare - I'm glad the ladies at the retreat pushed her to go to the ER. Sending her (and you) big hugs and wishes for an uneventful, quick recovery.

Life, you're sweet for paying it forward - good karma is coming your way. So sorry about your coworker, though

DebAL, at least you have good news - yay for your new job and sleeping in!
  • Engine104

Thank goodness two of the women there are nurses.

What ticks me off is, Janice got up and tried to drive back to the hotel where the retreat was and was shaken up and confused. Not to mention, her face was already swelling and bruising. She pulled into a McDonald's and could not remember the name of her hotel so she asked someone behind the counter where the hotel near the harbor is. They gave her directions, but did not ask her what happened or if she needed help. Just sent her on her way. :(

• debal

hey engine, how is janice? That's too bad about the McDonalds incident. Try not to dwell too much but focus on the fact others did recognize she needed care. I would think an adult manager would see she needed help but who knows maybe it was a kid at the counter. Rehashing and reflecting is tough. Dont do that too much. You are so right. It could have meant surgery. I'm sorry you are going through this.

• Engine104

Hi DebAl,

You are so right. I'm am constantly reminding myself how this could have been much worse.

We had a followup visit today with the internist and she said it looked like things are going in the right direction and the longer we go without any cognitive changes the better the odds are that they won't happen. She said it was a small bleed. I keep praying on that and that the PT for her shoulder works and she won't need surgery for that.

• maggie2
    maggie2 Member Posts: 240

Hello Everyone.  I decided to take a break from all things related to cancer, especially since my BS moved me to the "Survivorship Program".  This basically means that her PA will do a breast exam every 6 months on my reconstructed foobs.  Today is my one year anniversary of the double mastectomy.  Being stuck indoors these past several days due to our frigidly cold temps and thinking about this past year, I felt the need to check in. This April group has been such a support, both as I went through chemo and all these months after. What I've discovered during my hiatus is that I do rely on all of you for the unconditional support.  Others that haven't traveled this path just don't "get it", especially the rollercoaster of emotions.

So much has happened with all of you.  I am so sorry for your loss, Linda.  

Engine, I couldn't believe that given all Janice has been through, you two are now faced with this latest hurdle. I was relieved to read that the internist feels upbeat about Janice's recovery. I know all of you have had so many trials, ups and downs.  I hope Bryce is well on the road to being his old self, GAWarrior. Congrats to you, Urdrago on your new grandbaby!  I was also glad to see that you are still sending your own unique "Happy Birthday" greetings Smile.  All of the pictures are great!  DebAL, I cold-capped and don't have much more hair than you.  Your hair is really growing in so fast.  Ingerp, I love the curls; you look beautiful, as do all of you!  Well, now that I've read through a month of posts and attempted to get caught up, I wish all of you a warm and uneventful afternoon.

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

Engine! WOW! Prayers that she is doing better and better everyday!

• ingerp

Good to hear from you Maggie. I think it's not a bad thing as we progress to cut down on BCO time. Means this stuff isn't on our mind every waking moment. :-)

• maggie2

Ingerp, I’d like to say that this stuff isn’t still on my mind every waking moment. The truth is that with all the holiday travel and guests, along with issues with my mom, who is almost 90, keeping up with BCO had to be put on the back burner for a bit. Catching up,especially reading the good news,was comforting today

• Engine104

Quick update: Janice is doing better and seems to be on the mend. We saw her internist on Tuesday and she was happy with her progress. We met with her PT today and they will start very slowly on rehab for her shoulder, which could last several weeks. We see an orthopedist next week. I suspect he will say let's see how the PT goes for a while.

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

That is great news Engine.

Ola Maggie! :)

• debal

good news engine. Her "head" needs to rest also even though the bleed is small. No straining at her computer or stress on her mind etc

Good to hear from you maggie. I hope everyone is doing well. Deb

• Engine104

I agree, DebAL and I am going to keep bugging her about not trying to do too much work, even though I am back at work.That is easier said than done, though. :(

• gawarrior

Hi Maggie! It's nice to see you on here - you've sure had a lot on your plate lately. I'm glad you've moved past your surgery anniversary so you can begin to look forward again. I say that because I can see myself starting to rehash things like "this time last year, I did XYZ and had no idea what was coming up." It's not good to dwell on our diagnosis, but you just can't help it sometimes.... Oh - Bryce is still doing great, thanks. :)

Engine, it's good that Janice is doing better. Hoping PT fixes her shoulder. Make her rest up!

Hoping you all have a warmer weekend. Think of me when you watch the Super Bowl this Sunday - Atlanta is hosting so it'll sort of be like you're "visiting" me in spirit. The city has done a lot for the million (!) people they expect in town for this weekend. We may take the train downtown and wander around some of the venues just to say we were there although there's no way we're getting on the roads, lol.

• ingerp

GAW--that sounds fun to get in the middle of it for a bit! I have a couple of friends who headed off this morning to see it. (I can't seem to watch a whole football game--even the Super Bowl. Just not enough going on.)

I'm off to Herceptin this morning. Even had a dream about getting the IV (I always cross my fingers they get it on the first try). Five more after this. And looking forward to the <short-lived> warming trend!!

• maggie2

Thank you all for the warm “welcome back”. Ingerp, hope you got that IV on the first try. I’ve never been squeamish before about needles. With all this poking and prodding the past year though, the last few times having a blood draw or IV, I have to look away.

GAWarrior, my mom and sister live in Loganville and I have a niece in Alpharetta. I was just down there 2 weeks ago

• ingerp

I never look at needle stuff. I met with my MO this time (every other infusion) and her nurse is *awesome* at IVs. I didn’t feel as wiped out this time. Based on someone else’s post I got thinking about my protein intake. I really pushed it during chemo and I know that helped but I had cut way back. I made a point to eat meat the two nights before tx—not sure if that was the difference but I think I’ll keep that up going forward

• gawarrior

IngerP, I'm glad the herceptin IV went well this time. There's nothing worse than multiple attempts at inserting the needle.

Maggie2, I'm in Duluth/Peachtree Corners. Next time you're here, let me know and we can meet for coffee!

Urdrago, how are you doing on the Xeloda this time around? Hoping it's been much easier on you!

Linda, I'm thinking of you and your family. Also hoping you're still doing well on the trial chemo.

Engine, how is Janice doing?

I finally had the Mohs surgery for the skin cancer on my nose yesterday. Today I have a huge bandage on my schnozz. It was much more extensive than the surgeon thought it would be. With Mohs, they take a slice off, then set you in the waiting room while they check for clear margins on the tissue. He said it would be easy - 1 round, maybe 2 but he doubted it. Well, 3 rounds and 6 hours later, I have a beautiful path of sutures down the center of my nose, then sharply turning right and continuing down the nostril. My poor, battle-scarred body. The good thing is that I have a high pain tolerance and it doesn't hurt unless it touches something. What next? (I shouldn't even ask and tempt fate...)

Have a great weekend, y'all!

• debal

morning everyone. Looking away from the IV is best if there is any doubt. I dont recall my infusion center using a numbing agent but we use it in preop which patients love. Many patients dread the IV more than the surgery! Ingerp. Glad you are in the home stretch!

Off to the treadmill. I hope everyone has a great weekend and enjoy the big thaw! Deb

• maggie2

GAWarrior, you’ve really been put the wringer. My mom just had Mohs, but only needed one layer done. I hope you feel better soon and that the scar fades completely for you

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

Hi All! just catching up with posts. Like Maggie and others I needed a little BC timeout. I was in the midst of the this time last year spiral and then a friend of mine that I meet during my previous cancer was just diagnosed with a recurrence of BC and the poor thing had a double mastectomy 9 years ago. Stupid Cancer really nows how to find a way. It's like a cockroach after nuclear disaster.

GAW - glad to hear the MOHS went well. I still remember mine and giggling that they just leave this gaping whole in your face while you wait for results. I got such a chuckle out of the procedure. I'm sitting in the waiting room with gauze over a giant hole. Seriously, how sterile is that? Of course, I was one and done so nothing at all like your repeated attempts. Enjoy your Super Bowl experience. I tracked down a Buffalo Chicken lettuce wrap recipe so I can stick to my WW while enjoying the game.

Ingerp - We must be pretty close to the same timeline for ending Herceptin. I'm hoping to be done April 17th but he may want to go past my original chemo date of 4/23 so it may not be until May 8th. I'll ask I'm this next week when I see him.

• ingerp

Duffy I confirmed <again> yesterday that my final H would be 5/17. In fact I set up all of my remaining appointments last November. (Yes I like having all of that on my calendar!) My first chemo was 5/18 last year. I had to shift some appts around a Thanksgiving trip and lost a week from that so I think I would have finished 5/10 if I’d gone straight through.

• Engine104

Hi everyone,

GAWarrior, I'm sorry that you had to have surgery on your nose. I'm glad it went well.

Janice is doing much better. She is not getting dizzy anymore, but her shoulder still hurts a lot. She's doing her PT exercizes. That will take time.

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

Gawarrior, wow u have been thru a lot lately hopefully the rest of the year is smoother.

Engine, Glad janice is healing and how PT going for her?

Maggie & Duffy, I cant wait to take a break from BC, so u shld do it and breathe..

Ingerp, why cant they do liquid lidocaine , Before IV? I kjow when I was in ER thats what they used to access my port. And @surgery for LX the nurses used fine need and injected the area.

I restarted Xeloda, and am 2days out just feeling tired..on other note ive noticed I keep getting a sharp pain in my forearm think its nerve pain. Cant wait to be done healing from radiation.

Ive also been reading a book,"the book of Awakening ". Kind of food for a soul, example

1) sit outside or near window note the other life forms around you

2) breathe and think about what theses life forms can do that you cant

3) enter the day with conscious intent of doing one thing what only humans can do

Sending good vibes..