Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Options

Comments

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 367
    Options

Life, stay safe while you are still going in to work!

We've temporarily closed my dental office (I was still seeing patients as of last Thursday). I think it finally scared my boss enough to close when we had a patient come in, get her teeth cleaned, AND THEN say she was supposed to be self-quarantining but wasn't doing it because she had no symptoms. WHAT??!! She sat out in the waiting room with a couple of seniors, and another patient who's health is compromised. So irresponsible!

Anyhow, I'm excited to have the free time to get in and clean out closets, etc (things I haven't done in forever), but concerned about how long we'll be off. It's bad enough to think about a couple of weeks, much less a couple of months. So devastating to the world's economy, especially with tourist season coming up.

Stay healthy, my friends!

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500
    Options

Hey all, we Michiganders now have a mandate Stay home. So I'm in my new home, working or trying to with the chaos..unpacking, loading fridge up..ugh this sucks!!

Life, stay safe, I know your trying too.. praying for your dad that the medication kicks in soon to get rid of his pneumonia.

Sending cyber hugs, stay safe!!

• gawarrior
    Options

Looking good, Urdrago - congrats on your new house - stay healthy!

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364
    Options

Undrago. Good picture. Look so much at peace! Glad to hear you get to stay home and be safe. Great news about getting into your new home!!! Have a blast putting it together the way you wanted too! I remember when I bought my house, it took me almost a year to decide what color paint I wanted on the front room only. I figured painting is a pain in the butt and I wanted to make sure I liked it before I put it up. I'm the still the same way 23 years later. LOL. I just painted my front room again for the first time, a two-tone color this time as well as my bedroom. That my friends has been within the last 4 years. Yep. I'm that slow! LOL.

GaWarrier Holly Molly! I'm so glad to hear your boss took that serious and shut the doors. Wow! It's kind of cool going through all your stuff and getting rid of it. I've been working on that project for two years now. I truly don't have that big of house, so I'm amazed at all the stuff I own. Now I've dragged 18 years of all stuff from my desk to my home and have 4 new boxes to go through! I'm beginning to think I have a problem. Hee Hee

Your hair is super curly! Looks cute on you. :)

Started my new job yesterday. Everybody seems pretty nice. There are a few people that would rather you not even speak to them or even go into their office. I think these people are just wanting to be home and safe. You can't blame them. My brother thinks that within the week or two everybody's going to be shut down. My new director walked around yesterday introduced himself and said everybody try and practice social distance as much as you can. They're putting a sign on the door asking the public to stay out. It's hard practicing social distance and train someone at the same time so I've been pretty close encounters with some ppl I just met. I just can't think about it now because it's my new job and until the governor says we are shutting down it is how it's going to be. I'll just keep remembering to wash my hands and if I can locate some hand sanitizer, put it on. I don't have much. I just have my little bottle that I carry in my purse ever since chemo days.

Well I'm off to go get ready for work. Everybody have a wonderful safe day!

Huggs!

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,514
    Options

Urdrago--you look wonderful. Such weird times. I'm in touch with a friend/co-worker who had colon cancer last year and we are both so grateful to have active treatment behind us. I can't imagine what the poor people dealing with it now are going through.

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217
    Options

Hi All! Sorry I've been MIA but crazy few months for me. In early February we found out hubby was being relocated to Fort Wayne, IN so we hustled around finding a house etc quickly because we had a trip scheduled for the end of the month. We returned from our cruise Mar 1 and I moved hubby to Indiana Mar 7th. Hustled back to Canada to meet the movers and we closed on our new house Mar 13th. Possibly the worst time to try and set up a kitchen in a new house but luckily we were able to get enough stuff before the state ordered a shelter in place a week ago.

I've been using the time to unpack and we're so glad we aren't stuck in a hotel during this time. Urdrago - I bet you're also glad you got closed before all this. Daughter found her first house and is scheduled to close next week. We're keeping our fingers crossed Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac don't change requirements for mortgages to close before then.

I can't believe how great all your hair looks. I guess I'm finally being pushed into letting my hair grow a little bit now and I'm happy to report it is looking a little thicker than it had. Maybe the Biotin is starting to kick in.

It seems unbelievable that I'm almost to the 1 year anniversary of the end of my treatment. My last MO appointment was really good. My bloodwork was excellent.

What are you all watching during this isolation time? We blew threw Tiger King and are now looking for something light and humorous to take our minds off of all that is going on in the world.

• ingerp
    Options

You look great, Duffy. I was scheduled for my one-year mammo, check-in with MO and RO, plus bone density scan in a couple of weeks but I'm pretty sure that will all be cancelled. I know you guys get how much I was looking forward to (I mean to get it behind me). I had appts with MO and RO on 5/1 and was supposed to fly to visit my CA kids on 5/2 but I just cancelled that trip. VA is now in stay-at-home until June 10th. It's impossible to make any summer plans. Harrumph. Re: what I've been watching, I loved New Girl (<--never saw it on TV). I also really enjoyed Call the Midwife (new season started on PBS last night). It can be fun to watch old stuff like Frazier. I'm sure others will chime in. My brain's a little fluffy these days.

• gawarrior
    Options

Hi Duffy, it's nice to catch up with you! Congrats on your move, new house, and excellent health. Hoping your daughter can get her house, as well. Your hair is cute! I've been toying with cutting mine shorter once the hot weather hits, but am also excited that I can now put it into a ponytail again, so it's a tough choice.

Ingerp, sorry you had to cancel your appointments and trip. It's sad - I was supposed to meet my daughter in Washington DC tomorrow, plus had a cruise canceled at the end of April (and they'll likely cancel the one I still have at the end of May). Oh well, this too shall pass.

Stay safe, y'all!

• Frog-on-the-lilypad
    Frog-on-the-lilypad Member Posts: 159
    Options

Hello everyone, Hope all of you and your loved ones are doing okay. We have been under lockdown for 2 weeks now. I think there will be a few more weeks. I am glad we moved out of an apartment into a house, this has a lot more space and is easier to keep my now 8 year old away from hubby’s work station.

2 years since the April 2018 group got together. I am glad I met you guys through this forum. I remember the support and warmth and tips and hacks that got us through.

The pics look great. Inna B the short hair suits you. Did you have longer hair pre chemo? Urdrago, Ingerp, Life your hair looks normal. I am so jealous. Mine are like GA Warrior’s, all curly and unruly. But I am with her, I am loving it.

Stay safe everyone

• life1963
    Options

Happy Easter Everyone! Be safe!

🤗

• ingerp
    Options

Hey guys. I assume lots of you are having an annual check-up around now? I was due to get mammo and bone density next week, with follow-up appts with RO and MO on 5/1. I assumed everything would be postponed, but was told since it's a diagnostic mammo, it was still on as scheduled. My RO postponed my appt with her until early July. I decided to postpone the mammo until late June. I don't really care about the bone density but was really looking forward to getting the all clear on the mammo. Just kind of wary to walk into a medical facility needlessly these days. Thoughts? Have you had your mammos? Do you have them scheduled soon? If so, are you going ahead with them or postponing?

• life1963
    Options

Interg I personally myself say stay on the road of caution and reschedule. I mean if you're not going to see your doctor till July anyways will you still get the results if you go right away? I had mine 3 months ago and now I don't go back for until the end of the year. I felt like the rug got pulled right out from underneath me when he took me from seeing me every 3 months to every 6 months and mammogram once a year.

How are you doing? I am trying to be as safe as I can but because I started a new job I have to go to work everyday and I'm still cleaning that medical facility. It's scary but I just keep telling myself do the best you can, use common sense and keep your hands clean and away from your face. Of course every time I tell myself that my entire face starts itching. LOL

• ingerp
    Options

I’m pretty sure I could get the results pretty quickly but was having a hard time deciding whether or not to postpone. I saw this as something of a sign to delay until things calm down.

I’m doing well—we live a little outside of Charlottesville so pretty rural. Really don’t come into contact with many people other than a weekly trip to the grocery store. I kinda like that I’ve had more “face” time with my kids than I have in ages. I was walking very regularly but got a little stupid and started throwing in a little jogging, apparently too much too soon. My feet and ankles swelled up *huge*. I’m taking it easy until all of that calms down.

How is everyone else?

• gawarrior
    Options

Frog, it's nice to see you on here again. I'm glad you are doing well (and enjoying your house). :)

Life, stay safe! I know you are aware that you shouldn't touch your face with gloved hands, either (which I assume you are wearing when you clean the medical facility). I understand about being scheduled for 6 months out from now. It's good - but scary to go so long without seeing anyone! I have an appt with my MO on 6/1/20 - we'll see if that flies. I just canceled my 6 mo surgery check with the PS because everything feels fine and I didn't want to risk it. .

Ingerp, I'm on the fence about what to advise you re the mammogram. Personally, I would wait, but if you would be the only one there with the tech and you/she wore a mask, maybe you would want to go just for the peace of mind the mammo would give you? Also, some offices will let you call from your car to check in, then will call you when they are ready for you to come back for the test so you don't have to wait in the waiting room. Maybe that would be an option? So many are trying to go as contactless as possible right now, they may have something in place. I'd also ask for the results to be given via phone so you don't have to sit in the MO/RO office...

PSA: my friend and I have a website devoted to safety issues for seniors and just put out a YouTube video on how to make no-sew masks, if anyone needs to make their own (that's her in the video). Not the best thing, but the CDC is now recommending you wear a mask whenever you are around others, so these can help if you don't have any/can't get any. Video link:

Stay safe!

• ingerp
    Options

GAW--thanks for that. I think I always knew I could do relatively no-contact appointments and was really kinda hoping they'd cancel on me to take the decision out of my hands (like my husband's ski trip at the end of March! he couldn't decide whether to go or not but then they closed the ski resort). I'm trying to stay rational by telling myself I'm sure it'll be fine and even if not, a two-month delay isn't significant? I dunno. I usually make quick decisions and don't look back. This is weighing on me a tiny bit.

RE: masks, thanks for the link. I decided about a week and a half ago that even though I don't feel particularly at risk, I don't want to be _that person_ who is the only one in the store not wearing a mask, so I hand sewed one. It's funny--it really depends on where you go. It was a trip to Trader Joe's that forced my decision--I think I was the only one in the store not wearing one. This past weekend I went to Harris Teeter and I'd say it was about 50/50.

• gawarrior
    Options

Ingerp, thank goodness your hubby didn't go on the ski trip! Not sure where he was going, but at one point the ski towns in Colorado had very high virus numbers because people were bringing it there from everywhere else.

Re: your mammo, I guess I would say to go with your gut. When my kids are wavering on something, I tell them to make a decision one way or the other, then sleep on it. If you are still happy with it the next morning, then go with it. If you are still in doubt, then maybe listen to your gut...

If the appointment is basically contactless, you are probably fine to go through with it. BUT do keep in mind that you would be walking the hallways and that can bring you into contact with aerosols left over from someone breathing and coughing. That's why the CDC is now saying to wear a face mask whenever you will be in contact with people (yeah, our stores are hit or miss on wearing them, too). Aerosols can hang in the air for 3+ hours - and there's the chance that you'd walk through them and catch it. Frankly, I'm terrified at the idea of eventually returning to work in my dental office because we generate a TON of aerosols when cleaning teeth/drilling. Some people are asymptomatic so they're gonna bring it in to us.

• ingerp
    Options

GAW--I am really grateful that I've basically been working from home for 7-8 years now. Even when things start to open up again, I won't have much contact with people. I'm sure medical/dental offices will be taking extra precautions going forward.

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766
    Options

Hello, everybody! Glad to hear everyone is staying safe. Things are not so hot up here in my neck of the woods. My parents are sick with covid-19, which they caught from their home health aide. They have been sick for a month now. Thankfully no more fever and cough, but they are weak, dizzy and even more confused than usual. The home attendant is still sick, so I am their only help. My daughter caught covid-19 at the hospital working with the sick patients without Ppe, because there weren’t enough tests. She is back to work and cries before each shift because people are dying in her arms and she had never experienced death on that scale before. My husband has been running a low grade fever for a week now and refuses to see a doctor. I gave him an ultimatum tonight. If he won’t call a doctor tomorrow, I will stop feeding him. I suspect he knows it’s an empty threat. The only good news is that I am working from home all this time and my company paid for my second monitor. I have a pretty cool home office now

• ingerp
    Options

Oh Inna—I am so sorry. I am really curious about antibody testing. One of my kids and my DIL were sick in late Jan/Feb and I really hope they can get tested at some point.

• gawarrior
    Options

Oh, no, Inna - so sorry to hear this. Hoping your parents recover quickly. And, your poor daughter. I cannot imagine how tough it must be for her to lose patients like that. So glad she has recovered! Do they have PTSD/depression resources available for the healthcare workers? Your hubby should get tested, although I guess he figures there is no cure, so what is the point. Like you, I would want to know though. Please stay well!

Yes, Inger, I am with you - I would sure like to get antibody testing done, too.

• life1963
    Options

InnaB WOW! That is a lot to contend with. I live in a state where everybody's pissed off the governor. There was a big rally at the Capitol today regarding it. He showed up, got blasted with all sorts of questions and concerns and pissin and moanin. I get the economy is crashing I truly do. But wow maybe they should read your post. I personally myself think that we do need to take it slow coming back out. Obviously it's not gone yet or your daughter would not be dealing with all those traumatic events left and right. I'm so sorry to hear that you're parents are fighting this crap. Praying your husband doesn't have it. My dad has been fighting my mom on taking his temperature as well. He was diagnosed with pneumonia when all this started. He keeps telling her he's been quarantined for two months and he's pretty sure he's fine. But still coughing up a lot of crap.

Interg/GaWarrier Yes. My significant other and I were just discussing this this weekend. How we were both so sick in December and it took weeks to get over it. We to wonder if it wasn't maybe the coronavirus and there was no test for it. I remember having been tested for the flu and having it say negative. Then having the doctor tell me that there's some weird virus going around that's just knocking people off of their feet. It'll be interesting to see how everything pans out.

Stay safe everyone!

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766
    Options

News from the plague house: my hubby has covid-19. Tested positive. Hoping for the best.

• ingerp
    Options

Inna I don't even know what to say. All good thoughts your way. Please keep us posted.

• life1963
    Options

Wow! Here they are talking about opening up the states and letting people roam around and then you read this. This is just way too close to home! I am sure it's very nerve-wracking for you. Please continue to update and take care of you. Saying prayers.

• gawarrior
    Options

Ohhh nooo, Inna, I'm so sorry. Hoping he has a mild case and that you stay healthy. I assume you'll get tested, too? Good luck, I'm sending prayers and healthy vibes!

• Frog-on-the-lilypad
    Frog-on-the-lilypad Member Posts: 159
    Options

Inna, sending you hugs. This cannot be easy. I hope your parents are doing better now and your hubby comes out of it soon. I feel for your daughter, and all the essential workers who are working round the clock.

I really hope they slow down opening up the economy in US.It is still not safe and I was reading articles how the second wave might do more harm. Look at Singapore, they controlled it or so it seemed and then with the economy opening up full throttle the cases have started piling up like crazy.

We are in our 5th week of lockdown. Next week the lockdowns will ease enough to allow takeaways and online retail shopping. Right now only super markets, pharmacies are open.

Stay safe everyone.

• duffyzmom
    Options

InnaB- Sorry to hear your husband has tested positive. Sending healing love your and his way. My sister-in-law had been battling it for almost a month and just got the all clear to return to work next week.

I don't have a mammogram scheduled but do have my quarterly MO appointment at the end of May. I guess I'll wait and see what the office decides.

• urdrago71
    Options

InnaB- so sorry to hear about your family. Are you having to stay in another part of the house while your husband has been sick?

Relating to family in hospitals my sister is charge nurse for ER and I was worried everyday. But they just furloughed her and almost everyone in there but 2 ppl. Even with the pandemic of sick ppl hospitals are letting ppl go. Only 2 ppl in my extended family are working my son bcuz of medical supplies and I(from home.) Not sure how the economy is going to with stand the pandemic.

I seen a few posting about the upcoming 6 month test they have been rescheduled to May. I had my normal 3 month evaluation as a phone call since video conference didnt work. Ive noticed latley Ive got acid reflex I think and trying to take prilosec but it doesnt seem to be helping. Werid that Ive got it and not really sure why bcuz its out of the blue.

Sending prayers , and cyber hugs

• duffyzmom
    Options

Urdrago - Is that something totally out of the ordinary for you? I've had acid reflex on and off since my first cancer treatment years ago but I can usually pinpoint food or alcohol causing it.

• urdrago71
    Options

Duffy,

That sucks, so are you taking something when u have a reoccurrence?

I had reflex during treatment towards the end so I took prilosec everyday But hadnt had it since just recently but maybe it will be a once in awhile occurence. It took a few days but finally okay once again.

Update regarding my mammogram it was suppose to be April than rescheduled for May , just got a call and its pushed out til Dec. Im not sure how I feel about that.

Sending cuber hugs