Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Diet and Lifestyle

Options

Comments

• Warrior2018
    Warrior2018 Member Posts: 212
    edited June 2018
    Options

πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‰

• Wildtulip
    Wildtulip Member Posts: 470
    edited June 2018
    Options

Warrior, Thank you for the cheese info! I do have a Whole Foods near me, but they are so expensive I don't shop there often. However, I'm one that shops at several stores to get what I want/need, so I can definitely make a stop at Whole Foods too.

Pi-XI, Does your husband have a brother? I need one of those!! ;)

• pi-xi
    pi-xi Member Posts: 177
    edited June 2018
    Options

Wildtulip, sadly, he only has a sister. πŸ˜†

• dearlife
    dearlife Member Posts: 634
    edited June 2018
    Options

Pi-Xi that is a lovely salad. You have a talented in house chef!

Are these the Ingredients:

Chickpeas

Halved Cherry tomatoes (red and yellow)

Black Olives

Cucumber cubes

Chopped Red onion

On a bed of spinach and arugula topped with mint?

Anything else?

I love new salad ideas.

• pi-xi
    edited June 2018
    Options

DearLife,

That's pretty close!

Chickpeas

Halved mixed sweet tomatoes (see photo)

Black beans

Cucumber cubes

Chopped red onion

On a bed of spinach and arugula

Topped with crushed garlic soaked in balsamic vinegar with olive oil and chopped mint leaves added after soaking.

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hello. I've been reading this thread for a while. While I don't believe we can reliably prevent cancer or cancer recurrence with lifestyle and diet (there are too many factors, and not all of them known), I do believe we can do things to increase our chances of staying healthy. I have a whole "program" I have developed, and I believe it may be one reason I am doing so well (considering...). I hope I won't scare anyone away if I join in on the discussion occasionally.

Moth said something that piqued my interest, as I have been wondering about the topic myself. She said, "there are separate evidence pools for lifestyle modification for prevention of initial cancer, and modifications for prevention of a recurrence." I would be interested to hear more of what you have read and thought about this, moth.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited June 2018
    Options

Great to see youΒ  hear, Shetland!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/20/science/nucleolus-cells-aging.html?action=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article

Thought this was fascinating. Diseases of aging as a signalling overload problem.

"Centenarians tend to have cells in which there is reduced signaling in another pathway that involves insulin.

Researchers have found that modest dietary restriction and exercise shrank nucleoli in muscle cells of some people over age 60. People with diseases like cancer or progeria, a kind of accelerated aging, tend have enlarged nucleoli."

• hapa
    hapa Member Posts: 613
    edited June 2018
    Options

ShetlandPony - I would love to hear about your program. Please share!

• Warrior2018
    edited June 2018
    Options

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4324293/

β€œlifestyle changes are an important factor for prevention of breast cancer. Such changes include reducing weight, adopting a suitable diet, changing unnecessary drugs, etc. Also, in women who are diagnosed and are under treatment for breast cancer, lifestyle changes can reduce the recurrence rate and increase the chance of survival. Women should be informed about the role of lifestyle changes in the prevention of breast cancer and their role in the survival and recurrence rate in patients with breast cancer. More studies are needed to assess the role of education in lifestyle changes, to decrease the incidence and recurrence of breast cancer, and to increase the survival rate.β€œ

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4317679/

β€œConsidering the fact that lifestyle modifications and small changes in daily habits may help to reduce the postmenopausal BC cases by up to 34%, prevention strategies in the form of behavior modification should receive more focusβ€œ

http://blog.dana-farber.org/insight/2018/02/can-exercise-reduce-risk-cancer-recurrence/

β€œExercising, even at a moderate level, is one thing cancer survivors can do to lower the odds of cancer recurrence.β€œ

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited June 2018
    Options

The vegan Daiya does have cultures listed in the ingredients. I'm in Canada & this is the label on the plain Greek.

on the website it lists more specifically : L. plantarum, L. casei

• moth
    edited June 2018
    Options

I like Chao & Earth Island (I think these are called Follow Your Heart in the US) & Daiya cheeses.

But I thinkthe holy grail of vegan cheeses is Miyoko.
    https://miyokoskitchen.com/
    Expensive but as a special treat* they are amazing.
    Many cities now have local small scale vegan cheese creameries that pop up at farmer's markets & use similar techniques to Miyoko. Also, if you have time and are feeling artisinal & crafty, you can make some of these at home. The Gentle Chef has some recipes on his site & more in his cookbooks & I know there is at least 1 really good vegan cheese cookbook out there as I have some friends who are into it. Alas, as I've said before I hate cooking LOL.

(which honestly, from a health perspective they all should be as these are not really whole foods; but from an animal rights and environment perspective, I'm all for them & I love my junk food vegan pals - they're still making the world a better place, even if they're not really doing the best thing for their health.... )

• GoKale4320
    GoKale4320 Member Posts: 580
    edited June 2018
    Options

Warrior - thanks for the cheese information. Looks good! I might try a shortcut with tofu and lots of spices. Otherwise I will look for that cheese at Whole Foods or maybe another store. Also, I really appreciate the exercise articles - it's so encouraging and it's what I am relying on for hope.

Pi-Xi - salad looks delicious - thanks for the recipe!

Moth - It doesn't surprise me that there is a big difference between preventing a first cancer and preventing a recurrence. I am sure preventing a recurrence is more vigilance in diet and exercise. But it would be nice to have more details. Have you found more information?

ShetlandPony - welcome! I, too, would love to know more about your program.

HeidiHill - so interesting about dietary restriction and exercise effects on nuclei. I would think it would be helpful for people under 60, too.

The other thing I heard my MO say about recurrence is that when they talk about recurrence it's really more likely to be mets than it is to be a recurrence. Sounds confusing. But when I kept asking questions about risk, he said a "distant recurrence" is actually mets and thats more likely than a recurrence in the breast.

• dearlife
    edited June 2018
    Options

Shetland, welcome! We love new voices and ideas. And we love ponies 😊

Pi-Xi thanks for the recipe details. Aha. Not olives but black beans. Two pulses in one meal!

Warrior, you are an amazing researcher. I was looking for studies with data on diet/lifestyle. I would like to find evidence-based recurrence risk reduction stats for a few main measures and summarize them. I.e.

- exercise: 35-50% reduction, depending on hormonal and menopausal status

That is way better than the 5% risk reduction with hormone therapy or 7% reduction from radiation therapy.

I think good quality data is harder to find for foods, and much of the info is about preventing occurrence, not recurrence. But I think I have seen good data on turmeric and flaxseed, also fruits and veg and green tea. Anyone have stats on recurrence risk reduction for these?

Now I am going to do my workout. πŸ‹οΈ

• dearlife
    edited June 2018
    Options

Just to add, the risk reduction stats for hormone therapy and radiation therapy are from my onc for my situation. May be greater for others.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited June 2018
    Options

GoKale, yes, what your doc told you is correct. It does sometimes come back in the other breast or as a local recurrence (like in the scar line of a mastectomy, for example), but typically a recurrence is distant, i.e. mets.

• moth
    edited June 2018
    Options

I'm sure I posted these before but if anyone missed it, the CMAJ lit review on lifestyle factors for prevention of recurrence is detailed, they considered a pretty large number of recent studies & talk about some vitamins, alcohol, weight etc.

the web version contains more details about methodolgy http://www.cmaj.ca/content/189/7/E268

the pdf displays the summary boxes properly (at least for me, the web version won't show some of the boxes but maybe it's just my browser) ; the boxes have the key summary points including the one I'm printing out & putting in visible places in my house:

"Physical activity can reduce breast cancer mortality by about 40% and has the most powerful effect of any lifestyle factor on breast cancer outcomes"

http://www.cmaj.ca/content/cmaj/189/7/E268.full.pd...

but really it's worth a read entirely through. They do note that randomized trials are few & far between so we're always extrapolating.

Also, the runners v walkers study showing runners had better survival odds. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/ij...

" For the 272 runners analyzed separately, breast cancer mortality decreased an average of 40.9% per METhours/day run (95% CI: 19.3–60.0%, p 5 0.0004)."

• hapa
    edited June 2018
    Options

^Wow, that last study is almost unbelieveable, the outcome for runners is so strong.

• Warrior2018
    edited June 2018
    Options

Moth- just got to the part about soy. Wow!

β€œA meta-analysis of five prospective cohort studies from the United States and China found that high consumption of soy protein or soy isoflavones after breast cancer diagnosis was associated with a 26% decrease in recurrence (HR 0.74, 95% CI 0.61–0.85) and a 16% reduction in breast cancer mortality (HR 0.84, 95% CI 0.71–0.99) compared with low consumption.44Another meta-analysis of four prospective cohort studies, two of which were included in the previous analysis, found a 16% reduced risk of recurrence among women consuming high levels of soy isoflavone (RR 0.84, 95% CI 0.65–0.86), with no significant heterogeneity among the studies.45 Interestingly, in both meta-analyses, soy intake was not associated with improved survival or reduced recurrence among premenopausal women or patients who used tamoxifen, which suggests that soy and tamoxifen may work through a similar mechanism of displacing estrogen from its receptor.44β€œ

• GoKale4320
    GoKale4320 Member Posts: 580
    edited June 2018
    Options

Here is a MET calculator https://exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs

Okay, after playing around with this calculator, I am wondering the MET value is per hour. So if you only run 20 minutes, you must divide the MET value by 3? Because when I put in running speed, grade, my weight, and duration for 20 minutes and then reset it for 10 minutes, I get the same MET value. The calories burned does change.

For a 20 minute run, it calculates 9 METS, and I think woo-hoo, I will meet the goal. But perhaps not so easily if I must divide by 3.

To answer this question https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabolic_equivalent

Halfway down, it describes how to calculate MET minutes.

• Warrior2018
    edited June 2018
    Options

This is so great to see. Thank you Moth for sharing that initial link.

GoKale- thank you for the additional info on METS.

This is all so very inspiring and motivating!!!!

• ShetlandPony
    edited June 2018
    Options

Dearlife, the thing about ponies is that though they are little and cute, they are also tough, sturdy survivors, able to thrive in harsh conditions. So that's why I chose to be ShetlandPony and aspire to be like that little sweetie standing in the snow.

Thanks, sisters, for the welcome. That CMAJ article is a good summary, moth. It's good to see there are scientific articles such as that one and the ones Warrior posted that are looking at various lifestyle factors. Heidi, the article about nucleoli mentions the apparent importance of metabolism and insulin, and of course that all connects to topics on this thread like exercise and diet.

Hapa and Kale asked about my "program". Let's call it my holistic wellness program, because I think physical health influences mental health, and mental health influences physical health. It is a synthesis from my years of research, reading, and learning to live well in spite of cancer. There are ten areas: Physical Activity, Sleep, Nature, Plant-Based Diet, Moderate Eating, Family Life, Social Groups, Spirituality, Life Purpose, and Stress Reduction. There are some interesting details. So what shall I describe first?

• hapa
    edited June 2018
    Options

ShetlandPony - I'm very intrigued by the Life Purpose category. But start wherever you'd like.

• ShetlandPony
    edited June 2018
    Options

So the concept of life purpose as it relates to health is described in the book The Blue Zones by Dan Buettner. Buettner's Blue Zones are the five places in the world where people live the longest, and with good quality of life. On page 282 it says, "Dr. Robert Butler and collaborators led an NIH-funded study that looked at the correlation between having a sense of purpose and longevity. His 11-year study followed highly functioning people between the ages of 65 and 92 and found that individuals who expressed a clear goal in life -- something to get up for in the morning, something that made a difference -- lived longer and were sharper than those who did not." The Blue Zones people have this. In Okinawa it is called Ikigai. I summed up Life Purpose on my plan in this way:

Life Purpose -- Wake up with a purpose each day. Craft a personal mission statement: What are you passionate about, how do you enjoy using your talents, what is truly important to you? Learn something new.

Dancing and teaching dance keep me going, bring me joy. (Art, exercise, learning, and social connections combine here.) Also, I want to do what I can to support my family in their own well-being. And, I feel a mission to find simple ways to put kindness out into the world. Another thing is I have plans to get back into tutoring, as I have realized how meaningful and rewarding that was to me. I like not only teaching the material, but supporting someone's personal growth and sense of confidence.

So how about you guys? What is your ikigai? Do you feel it helps keep you healthy?

• dearlife
    edited June 2018
    Options

Moth, thanks for reposting this. For quick reference, I have copied the key findings below.

Weight management

• Weight gain during or after breast cancer treatment increases the risk of recurrence and reduces survival, irrespective of baseline body mass index.5–7
    • Patients who are obese or overweight at breast cancer diagnosis have a poorer prognosis.8Although it is possible for such patients to attain meaningful weight loss,9,18 there are few data on whether this improves breast cancer outcomes.19

Physical activity

• Physical activity can reduce breast cancer mortality by about 40%23 and has the most powerful effect of any lifestyle factor on breast cancer outcomes.22
    • At least 150 minutes per week of physical activity is recommended,24,25 but less than 13% of patients with breast cancer attain this.28

Diet

• Western-style diets (high in processed grains, processed meats and red meat) and prudent diets (high in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and chicken) have similar rates of breast cancer recurrence.4,35
    • Dietary saturated fat, especially from high-fat dairy products, may be associated with increased breast cancer mortality.3,32,33
    • Soy products have not been found to increase breast cancer recurrence41 and may actually reduce it.44,45

Smoking

• Recent evidence has shown a strong association between a history of smoking and breast cancer mortality.47
    • Compared with women who continue to smoke after a breast cancer diagnosis, those who quit smoking after diagnosis have higher overall survival and possibly better breast cancer–specific survival.48–52

Alcohol intake

• Findings are too inconsistent to conclude that alcohol consumption affects breast cancer outcomes. However, limiting alcohol consumption to one or fewer drinks per day reduces the risk of a second primary breast cancer.54

Vitamin supplementation

• Moderate increases in dietary vitamin C or oral supplementation may reduce breast cancer mortality,56 but randomized trials are needed to confirm these findings.
    • Vitamin E supplementation is not associated with breast cancer outcomes.57,58
    • Low levels of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D at diagnosis have been associated with an increased risk of breast cancer mortality.59–62 However, randomized trials are needed to determine whether supplementation improves prognosis.

Of all lifestyle factors, physical activity has the most robust effect on breast cancer outcomes. Following the recommended 150 minutes of moderate to vigorous exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous exercise per week, along with two to three weekly sessions of strength training, can help reduce the risk of breast cancer recurrence and mortality.

My comment: One surprising conclusion is that western diets and "prudent diets" appear to have similar rates of recurrence. However, it is tough to keep weight down with a western diet and body fat = estrogen. Also, I believe there is solid research about the antioxidant benefits of specific foods e.g. green tea, flaxseed, apples, berries etc. So I am sticking with the prudent approach. It may well be proven preventive in the future and also helps prevent heart disease, which is still the leading cause of death for women.

• dearlife
    edited June 2018
    Options

Shetland Pony, I love the story behind your name. Small and sweet but tough.

I too am interested in the body-mind connection. For life's purpose, I like to think that my time on this earth can make life better for other people and for the planet. I volunteer with two organizations that I care about: our local library and our conservation organization.

Time in nature brings me joy, as well as a good book. Learning from and contributing to a community like this one is deeply satisfying too.

Thanks for taking us into the philosophical realm. It is an important aspect of health and happiness.

• Warrior2018
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi Shetland- I too agree about the mind body connection being important, the center of it all, and am therefore consciously living my life. Being vegan is one of the ways I do this. It helps me to feel deeply connected to all livings and it’s this connection that I feel is very important. I am an artist, a mother, a gardener, a wife, friend, teacher, volunteer. At the heart of all these things is doing for others and creating kindness, love and serenity, which brings me happiness. I am also a certified Reiki practitioner and value it’s principles. I was volunteering with Hospice, providing Reiki sessions, at the time of my diagnosis.

Things I like to work on though are more yoga in my life and trying to keep stress at a minimum. This diagnosis has opened my eyes to the little things in life, and making sure that I’m not sweating the small stuff but appreciating them.

• Wildtulip
    Wildtulip Member Posts: 470
    edited June 2018
    Options

Shetland, If I remember correctly from my studies with the Blue Zones...not only do the Blue Zone communities have connection (with others in their zone) in common, but also they all consumed beans.

My primary driving force is caring for my children. Being their mom is, I believe, what I was intended to do. They were born very premature (twins) and both have special needs. (So, no...I don't think I will take time to attempt making vegan cheese. lol) I have also always been one who wants to help others, and am now striving to help those who have been diagnosed with cancer by providing education and support.

I am truly amazed and overwhelmed at the wealth of information and insight you all have.

• pi-xi
    edited June 2018
    Options

I was wondering about the bean-eating and the Blue Zone and how Paleo doesn't include beans...I think the Blue Zone folks are living longer than our Paleolithic ancestors.

• 1redgirl
    1redgirl Member Posts: 94
    edited June 2018
    Options
    When raising a family, I think we all feel a purpose. Many that volunteer within their community have purpose. Those with professions often feel purpose. Where things go wrong I think, is that most never spend time on passion. I always try to encourage young people to begin early with hobbies that give them great pleasure and peace. I had that riding horses. Nothing in the world compares. Due to my age, I had to give that up 2 or so years ago. It was a terrible loss for me. I still weep over it. Letting go. It is very tough. I replaced riding horses with riding bikes. It is an activity I can do with my husband and I just love riding through the countryside. I ride every day now approx 20 miles. This is how I am taking control of my cancer journey. I believe exercise and nutrition may help my cancer go into dormancy. I have radically changed my eating habits. The many recommendations I have read here and other sites, I have incorporated. I feel great. I have lost nearly 20 lbs. I am sleeping better than ever. No more migraines. I am now a morning person. What is really strange is that my nails started growing. Also no more joint pain. Seriously, not even an ache. It appears sugar, fats were literally poison for me. I am giving it my all.
  • dearlife
    edited June 2018
    Options

1redgirl that is a moving story. It is wonderful though how you have turned a loss into a new passion. We need purpose and passion to give our life meaning.

Congratulations on the change in lifestyle and weight loss! That is a big change, with amazing benefits for you.

I too feel that a healthy diet and ample exercise can slow the bad cells down. Put them to sleep, or preferably wipe them out. .