Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Diet and Lifestyle

Options

Comments

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited July 2018
    Options

Prude, 70% chocolate is definitely healthier than fries. Seriously! That said, I still eat fries sometimes if I am out somewhere. Thing is, ALL cells live on glucose. The way your body gets energy is to convert what you eat into glucose. It is just that the cancer cells eat way more glucose than regular cells. There is some evidence that keeping insulin levels staple and blood sugar within healthy limits can help prevent cancer. Besides, it can more directly prevent diabetes, so either way, it is worth doing.

So, if that is the objective, fries are apparently really bad. The starch in potatoes gets converted into glucose quickly, and that can cause glucose spikes (which is what you want to avoid). In comparison, the amount of sugar in a couple of squares of super-dark chocolate is nuttin', and chocolate has various health benefits as well that are lacking in greasy potatoes.

Exercise can help heal your insulin receptors and can thus reverse insulin resistance, the precursor to diabetes.

• wildplaces
    wildplaces Member Posts: 544
    edited July 2018
    Options

Wildtulip - thank you - very kind of you to take the time to explain - I always assumed my oncologist would be supportive of ALL my decisions hmmmm - I have a visit in October and I am going to challenge him a bit - let's see how it turns out. Once again thank you for your honesty and your story - wishing you all the best in your endeavour - I feel you will be very good at it. 😊🌷🐣

This has been posted on the Stage 4 thread - the whole series of Rethinking Cancer 2017 is very interesting and the participants are mainstream med. Aside from fasting, metabolic theories, autophagy there is a whole world out there studying the impact of the gut microbiota on chemotherapy and immune responses.

• preludesing
    preludesing Member Posts: 64
    edited July 2018
    Options

Thank you Momine! I chose dark chocolate cake so YAY me 😂. My magical thinking is that if I eat the chocolate cake just after I work out really hard with some good old fashion HIIT, then it's like I woke up and went about my day eating healthily cos the chocolate and exercise cancel each other out 🤣. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

*sticks head back in the sand*

• preludesing
    edited July 2018
    Options

Thank you for sharing Wildplaces!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited July 2018
    Options

Prelude, yeah, ok, made into cake you may loose some of advantages there :D

• Egads007
    Egads007 Member Posts: 474
    edited July 2018
    Options

Moth - I saw your post on that very thread and felt it made the only sense of all the replies. Hence my 2 cents post on the paleo thread. Disturbed the heck out of me too. Meh, I suppose it makes life interesting:

• GoKale4320
    GoKale4320 Member Posts: 580
    edited July 2018
    Options

Which one is the Anger Thread?

Thank you for all of the good ideas on going Vegan! So helpful!

Momine - I would love to visit Greece! I'm sure I would love the food.

Wildplaces - interesting video. I had read about fasting during chemo, but I didn't do it. Wish I had. I am hoping that time-restricted eating that I am doing will help me. The "How Not to Die" book does not address it, but I will check the NutritionFacts.org website.

PreludeSing - sometimes you do need to eat the cake. And I think exercising after does help - at least it should lower the blood sugar spike.

Great news! Back before Memorial Day, I learned that my blood work showed elevated liver enzymes and was advised to retest in 6 weeks. So for 6 weeks, I tried to eat better, sleep better, and exercise more vigorously. I retested yesterday and got the results of liver enzymes back to normal! Whew! Praise God! I thought I was dying. So that whole ordeal has pushed my efforts into overdrive.

The "How Not to Die" book has also opened my eyes to a new health plan - well, new to me.

Last night I relayed the whole enzyme thing to my husband (I had not told him because we had so much going on - his birthday, Father's Day, and a weekend mountain trip - and I didn't want to ruin any of it with bad news). I also said I was heading towards a Vegan lifestyle, but while I would incorporate vegan dinners, I would also make some non-vegan food for him. He immediately pondered the idea and said he could give up cheese. He is such a great support! Cheese doesn't sound like much of an effort, but over time I think he will slowly embrace some of the other things. I quit buying cow's milk a couple years ago, and he didn't complain much. His biggest concern is diet to support his marathon habit. He runs daily, bikes, lifts weights; he eats a lot.

Anyway, I am excited about trying new things and developing a new cooking routine.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited July 2018
    Options

GoKale - for your dh, suggest he checks out Rich Roll. He's a plant powered ultra marathoner. Has a podcast, blog,motivational book & cookbook & he also sells access to a meal planner if that's something you end up wanting but I'm suggesting it only as a resource to show that ultra endurance athletes can eat plant based http://www.richroll.com/bio/

• GoKale4320
    GoKale4320 Member Posts: 580
    edited July 2018
    Options

Moth - thanks for the info on Rich Roll. I find that if I can show my husband evidence like that, he is more likely to jump on the plan. Many years ago, we drank milk with dinner, but my sister-in-law said in passing that she and her family drink water with dinner. So when I shared that bit of info with him, he quickly agreed to drink water with dinner. He loves his sister, and I do, too. Plus, I really hope he can embrace these healthy habits because then he will stay well, feel better, and enjoy his retirement when he gets to it.

• Warrior2018
    Warrior2018 Member Posts: 212
    edited July 2018
    Options

Very awesome to have that support GoKale. My hubby decided to go vegan with me a few years ago. It's nice that to share the same lifestyle.

Very good example moth. There's many vegan athletes now. The motto "eat what elephants eat" is a big one in the vegan athlete world.

• Wildtulip
    Wildtulip Member Posts: 470
    edited July 2018
    Options

Prelude, No disrespect on my part towards you, or anyone else. I agree with the wisdom and words of Warrior and Moth.

This thread is also informative and motivating!

• preludesing
    edited July 2018
    Options

None taken Wildtulip...there is much wisdom to be shared on both threads and I really feel bad for anyone who can't appreciate it and be grateful for it. Perhaps they are still in too much pain themselves and haven't been able to regulate their emotions. All of us come across those people in our everyday lives, we are sure to come across them in our online lives too...

Ignore and block are blessed functions 😁. Now if only someone could devise a real-life block and ignore...😂

• Wildtulip
    Wildtulip Member Posts: 470
    edited July 2018
    Options

Prelude, Ohmygosh, yes to real-life block and ignore! Then my tongue would not hurt from all the biting! lol

• preludesing
    edited July 2018
    Options

😂😂

• dearlife
    dearlife Member Posts: 634
    edited July 2018
    Options

Prelude you have a lot of compassion. We all feel anger about finding ourselves in this place and sometimes it comes out unchecked. Happily there is comfort and healing here too. ❤️

Warrior, I told my husband that athletes “eat what elephants eat" but he said he doesn't want to eat grass LOL. He is getting on the bean wagon though!

GoKale, my liver enzymes were up a bit too so cheese and wine went out the window the last few months. Getting blood work soon to compare. I do have occasional goat cheese and wine once in a while, so no real feeling of deprivation.

Life's little pleasures matter but it is also a great pleasure to be at a healthy weight and not have a cancer promoting muffin top!

Wildplaces thanks for the Valter Longo link. His research is interesting and I am a convert to time restricted eating.

ShetlandPony missing you and hope you will share more insights on your wellness program. I am interested in your ideas on stress reduction. I would like to try some meditation but somehow get distracted from regular practice.

Happy weekend everyone!

• Warrior2018
    edited July 2018
    Options

😉😉😉

• 1redgirl
    1redgirl Member Posts: 94
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I am definitely not angry I have bc again. I am perplexed. So what did go wrong with me? The other day I spoke with a farmer friend and found out his niece, 31, is stage IV bc. Now that makes me mad for her with two babies. It also makes me so very sad for that family.

What bugged me 20 years ago and now, is that the medical community does not care “why” I got cancer. IMO, if we cannot get to root causes, we cannot hope to solve the mystery. I am left frustrated that lifestyle is omitted from most discussions. So either I submit to the establishment, or I am doomed to perish. The thing is we are all doomed to perish as everybody will die eventually. We are not promised tomorrow.

I fast over 13 hrs a day. I try to not eat after about 7 pm and not again til late morning. I try to drink more water as I think I tend not to. I just am never thirsty. That may explain something about my metabolic system that is maybe not right.
  • Warrior2018
    edited July 2018
    Options

redgirl, it’s very frustrating and upsetting. Last night I was looking through the active topic section and it’s so infuriating that women get diagnosed everyday. Why can’t this madness stop! And no one really knows how to fix it!!! I’m sad, mad everything.

I agree about the “why”, WHY isnt anyonetrying to find out the origin? Why is it so crazy to try to determine when my tumor initially developed? Wouldn’t that provide some insight?? Uh. It’s overwhelming so I do what I can do, which is to try to live the healthiest, conscious life that I can.

Whenever I feel that way about water, I add lemon and ice to it, or I’ve made cucumber mint water before and that’s very refreshing too. I find it helps if I sometimes add flavors.

• 1redgirl
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I make a ginger drink that has pressed ginger root, lemon, orange, limes, club soda and bitters. I buy the ginger in a liquid form which is quite strong. I like it strong. Very refreshing over crushed ice.

I feel like unless the solution involves drugs, it is some sort of voodoo as seen by the medical community.

When I refused treatment 20 years ago, I was yearly called by different doctors to become part of a research trial. So I did come in and let them lecture me, and suggest new and improved drugs for me to take. We would then discuss the side effects which I pointed out I currently had none of those, and did not want to feel sick. They said I was high risk and should realize the cancer was lurking. I had DCIS which most doctors will tell you cannot become invasive, which is not true although it is rare. Some researchers are wondering if the safety net is too big, meaning mammograms, and catching too many small tumors that some think may clear up on their own. So are we disfiguring many to stop DCIS, which most likely will not become invasive? I had a lumpectomy, twice, that left not even a scar. Fabulous surgeon. Rare.
  • dearlife
    edited July 2018
    Options

Redgirl, thanks for raising the topic of water. I too don't drink enough water but am trying to change that. I am not often thirsty but read that lack of thirst may be related to low level dehydration. There are even some studies that say drinking adequate water may reduce the risk of breast and other cancers.

“Water drinking appears to confer a beneficial effect on cancer risk...Subclinical or “chronic" dehydration may compromise intercellular water, alter cellular concentrations, affect the activity of enzymes in metabolic regulation, and inhibit cellular carcinogen removal."

There is also a potential interaction between water consumption and hormone interaction. Estrogen and progesterone levels have been shown to affect thirst. This seems to be especially true for post menopausal women.

Another bonus is that water fights fat:

Drinking water increases the amount of calories you burn, which is known as resting energy expenditure (4). In adults, resting energy expenditure has been shown to increase by 24–30% within 10 minutes of drinking water. This lasts at least 60 minutes (5, 6).

A study of overweight women examined the effects of increasing water intake to over 1 liter (34 oz) per day. They found that over a 12-month period, this resulted in an extra 2 kg (4.4 lbs) of weight loss (8). These women didn't make any lifestyle changes except to drink more water."

https://www.vegkitchen.com/nutrition/water-detoxifying/

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jodi_Stookey/publication/224467849_Correspondence_re_J_Shannon_et_al_Relationship_of_food_groups_and_water_intake_to_colon_cancer_risk_Cancer_Epidemiol_Biomarkers_Prev_5_495-502/links/0c96053bd5bc292528000000/Correspondence-re-J-Shannon-et-al-Relationship-of-food-groups-and-water-intake-to-colon-cancer-risk-Cancer-Epidemiol-Biomarkers-Prev-5-495-502.pdf?origin=publication_detail

This is enough to make me keep on glugging 💦

• Egads007
    edited July 2018
    Options

1red & Warrior (paleo unicorn) - take heart, the medical community is indeed locked, loaded and are aiming directly at root causes. Many have already been identified. Genetic research, and more recently stem cell research into cause is gaining much ground....

http://www.celgene.com/cancer-stem-cells-targeting-cancer-causes/

https://youtu.be/dP9NLUzpBAY

None of us can deny the advances made in the last number of decades, and how those advances have taken many cancers out of the death sentence zone. I’m confident that they will eradicate this evil train wreck of a disease one day. Hopefully by way of a simple shot in you PCP’s office....I only hope and pray it comes sooner than later, and within our lifetime. With so many lives at stake, it will be a dream realized.

• 1redgirl
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I live where there are several hospitals, and just recently a new cancer hospital which is where I go each week. I think the system at least for me, was quick and quite streamlined. I give them high marks. My PT person is super. My issue is that post surgery treatment is way too cookie cutter. There is only their approach. While they have my medical records, they know nothing about my lifestyle. They simply do not care. It is irrelevant. Sadly, there are currently no functional doctors in my area. I have hope of one doctor I plan to try to see that at least uses the word “holistic”. Since I did have cancer 20 plus years ago, and dealt with several oncologists then, I can say for me I see little difference in attitude today. They are a very rigid group. Last time, I did not include my husband in the process. This time I did. I wanted him to see first hand the detached, clinical approach. BTW, my surgeon this time was funny, approachable, and accepted from the beginning I would not consent to chemo etc. My surgeon last time was super as well, but the oncologists were intensely a pressuring group. There should be a plan B. BTW, reading a lot about normal and cancer cells. Fascinating.
  • Egads007
    edited July 2018
    Options
    my experience from diagnosis to treatment was cookie cutter too...I often remarked that I knew what sheep must feel like. Turnstile. My BS was somewhat arrogant, though brilliant. My MO didn’t ask or advise much on lifestyle. Appointments were rushed. My onc rad was absolutely terrific...covered all bases. For the most part I was alone on a ‘moving forward’ basis by my care providers...eg: nary a word about LE. I only wish I knew then what I do now ...20/20 etc. Are they overloaded? Burnt out? Don’t or can’t care? Not sure, but like you, was left wanting more than I received. Amen to plan B. Cells, agree, fascinating.
  • 1redgirl
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Prior to my second occurrence of cancer, I had to have a benign tumor taken off my back. I opted to have it done in the office. It was pretty big so it took some time to remove. The surgeon and his assistant joked the entire time. Just crazy banter. I also have skin cancer. Yup, killed my mom. My doctor is chatty, factual, funny, just easy to talk to. We talk about everything even things we disagree with. Her staff is great. Oncologists are a different breed. Can you say distant? I had 3 appointments with him. He really did pressure me to consent to his protocols. It is a group that makes the decision. It is cookie cutter. I tried to explain that I am old. I have led a full life. I am not mad, nor hysterical, just want to live my life as long as possible. He told me I was young. Nope, he is not walking in my shoes. I do not complain, but every year after 60 is a noticeable difference. My skin is crap. My sight is so so. Because of my age, 66 this coming week, I had to give up riding horses which was devasting. I have explained that to all personnel which is not understood. It is quality of life. I see the elderly every week coming to the cancer center. It is so grim. They are in significant pain. Really my heart breaks for them. They can barely walk. The issue is age. No matter what happens with their cancer, they are never going to be young again. So they are not going to snap back. They have many other obvious health issues on top of cancer. I feel a Plan B for old folks needs to be an option.

I will stop my ranting. I have never responded well to pressure against my will.
  • InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766
    edited July 2018
    Options

1redgirl, do you have integrative physicians in your area? Look them up. They are the doctors who focus on a patient as a whole, including lifestyle, holistic approaches, etc. the specialty is called Integrative medicine.

• wildplaces
    edited July 2018
    Options

It's winter down under - the passion fruit and mandarins are ripe and broccoli, kale and spinach grow in wild abundance - I like a salad of quinoa, baby beetroot, radishes, celery and spinach with a citrus dressing. I have had it as the VG at a local restaurant and have been preparing version of it ever since. 😊

• wildplaces
    edited July 2018
    Options

DearLife,

I know what you mean about water - I drink chamomile tea, linden tea, roibos, green tea ( and I could go on forever ...) rosehip occasionally and I have just found a turmeric and ginger tea that I favour in the afternoons. 😊

Odd - linden remains my favourite - there was a large linden tree just next to a place they stored hay in my childhood and we would jump from the tree onto the huge pile of hay - and play hide and seek - the smell of those flowers in bloom will always stay with me. Japan Gyokoro is a close second, but I don't drink it in the same quantities and I am a little more ceremonial when I make it.

• Warrior2018
    edited July 2018
    Options

Redgirl, that ginger drink sounds very good! I’m glad you found a good surgeon. I’ve managed to find a very good MO here in town that listens and spends time with me. But when I told my BS that I was seeing so and so in my town, she was like- oh you should get an appt here at the University, as if my hometown MO wasn’t good enough. The last thing I need is doubt about my team of drs too. I did follow up with an MO that specializes in BC, Dr. Jame Abraham at the Cleveland Clinic, and I’m very happy that I did actually. He’s really understanding, caring and funny- if you can imagine that at an MO appt! I hope you can find a Dr. that’s possess these qualities as well. It’s frustrating to think about Drs. making things more difficult for you.

DearLife- thank you for that info about water. Very interesting. I didn’t know that specific effect water has on metabolism. An hour later too! Pretty good for just being water! I’ll think of it as drowning cancer cells!!! 🌊🌊 Down with the little buggers!!!

Egads, that stinks that you’ve dealt with some of the same treatment by physicians. That is the absolute last thing anyone needs when going through this. Again, extremely frustrating to hear.

Inna- I saw an Integrative Onc. I enjoyed meeting with her and hearing her recommendations. I may go back to have my macronutrients tested. Overall it went well I think.

Wildplaces, just beautiful! All that produce looks so yummy and fresh! 😋

So yesterday I heard a counselor (my 17 almost 18 year old son is in counseling but that’s another story...) used cancer as an analogy for how addicts need to follow the recommendations given to them by their therapist. It went something like this.... “if a person finds out they have cancer, they go and see an oncologist. If the oncologist says they need chemotherapy, the patients doesn’t say no or try to deny that they don’t need it, they blindly follow the advice and do what needs to be done.” You know what I thought- what an ignorant a**. He knows nothing about cancer and needs to stop acting like he does. Irritating. You don’t know until you know, and I hope you never really know what it’s like.

• 1redgirl
    edited July 2018
    Options
    There is 1 woman doctor north of here that is listed as functional. In her case, she accepts no insurance. She also does not specialize with cancer patients. What I want to find is a doctor that can follow me medically and also focus on nutrition, lifestyle, etc. I am suppose to see my oncologist every 4 mos. It is interesting that he said yearly mammograms will suffice. 20 years ago, it was every six months which I religiously did for a decade or so.

I drink green tea daily. It seems 2 cups are recommended, but not first thing in am nor last thing before bed. So now I will make a cup after breakfast and dinner. I guess timing matters. I grow my own berries so apparently I need to eat as many as possible that should help my liquid worry. I checked signs of dehydration which it does not seem I have. I still think it is weird I am never thirsty.

BTW, still cannot get over how since I changed my diet my nails now grow. Not only are they growing, but they are strong. So apparently all these years something was off. I was thinking this am as I was biking, that as young people we all need to see a nutritionist and have in depth blood work done that can show deficiencies early on that can be corrected. So are most people really deficient in Vit D and if so the implications and corrections.
  • dearlife
    edited July 2018
    Options

I do think many physicians are burnt out and patients experience the fallout. There was an article about this recently on the research thread.

“According to the researchers, the suicide rate in medicine is more than twice that of the general population, resulting in at least 1 physician suicide per day in the US In fact, the actual number is probably higher, as the stigma of suicide results in underreporting.

One recent survey found that 42% of US physicians are burned out, with rates of 38% among men and 48% among women. Such distress manifests in other ways, such as alcoholism, substance abuse and poor patient care.

https://www.empr.com/features/suicide-rate-twice-as-much-as-general-population/article/771636/

For what it's worth, my surgeon told me oncologists have a difficult job - too often, they have to deliver bad news despite their best efforts. Surgery gets rid of 85% of the cancer so that is mostly good news.

Also for what it's worth, redgirl I am 69 (may be the oldest one on this thread) but I still feel young-ish. I know I am lucky to have only only minor health issues other than the big C. So for me, quality of life is important but also quantity.

I had in situ cancer 20 years ago, no treatment because my doc said it wasn't cancer. I realize now though that although LCIS may not progress, a tendency to abnormal cells is a red flag.

So far, no problems with the AI drugs after three months. Didn't have chemo and crossing my fingers that vigorous exercise and a healthy diet will batter, starve and drown any bad cells. I know I am lucky that this happened to me at an older age. My heart breaks for younger women facing this disease.

I wish I could find an integrative doc too but where I am, it is hard to find any PCP. My long time doc died of non-smoking lung cancer, then I had terrible rural health care. I finally found a new physician and decided I will have to do my own research to request specific blood work and improve lifestyle etc. I love learning about foods and exercise but not the hard science biology stuff about blood tests. I think we should all receive honorarymedical degrees! 👩⚕️