Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Surgery August 2018

Options

Comments

• akmom
    akmom Member Posts: 98
    edited September 2018
    Options

I second the suggestion to use a pillow under your knees when sleeping on your back - really helps to relieve the strain on your back when your head is raised up.

I think reconstruction must be one of those things where you just "feel" whether it will be right for you. I did not hesitate for a second when the surgeon told me I would need a mastectomy - told him right away that I would be going flat. It certainly sounds like there is more initial pain and discomfort for those choosing reconstruction (e.g. I only needed pain pills for the day of surgery and the day after). But no doubt it will be worth it for you in the long run.

If I had opted for reconstruction the surgeon said it would be direct to implant (as opposed to tissue expanders and saline injections) - did any in this group have that option?

Was a bit self conscious going out at first with my new profile but finding that nobody seems to even notice (and if they do, they are not commenting or staring). Was never particularly well endowed so I think a lot of my clothes will be fine without prosthetic forms. Will be wearing layers a lot!

Gentle hugs to all of you xx

Dale

• WonderWoman75
    WonderWoman75 Member Posts: 54
    edited September 2018
    Options

So, after talking to the nurse yesterday and feeling like I was a junkie, I stopped the pain meds and have been ok with Tylenol. I am saving the 3 percoset I have. I am concerned about chemo coming up on the 24th. Still no oncotype score and waiting is so frustrating.

After a bit of tears and a pity party for myself, I took a walk and am laying outdide and enjoying the day. I am trying not to think about the nurse telling me, "You shouldn't need any more pain meds at this time. You got 40 just a week ago." But, her telling me this made me stop taking the pain pills so maybe it was a good for her to anger me into not taking them.🤔

Anyone have side effects from the chemo? I am anxious about my appointment. Wish that score would come sooner.

Love you all...fuck you cancer!

• Sadlynew2018
    Sadlynew2018 Member Posts: 173
    edited September 2018
    Options
    wonderwoman - it seems that everyone is so different. So I think continued pain may be part of it. I thought yesterday I was doing fine. Then, boom, another edge of the TE obviously introduced itself to my skin. Ouch. I swear TEs must be square. And I bet a man invented them! What treatment are you receiving? I guess it may be dependent on the score? Sorry if my questions make little sense. Still learning all this stuff. :-)

I’m still waiting on the path results from my ALND. Only 1 of 6 of my nodes has cancer and it had a 8mm mass in it. It would seem that my Axillary would have a lot in it too? I hear a lot about nodes having cancer cells in them. Mine had a whole bunch I guess to the extent it was a mass. Has that happened to anyone else? If so, was their Axillary completely full of them too? I’m so nervous. My doctor usually calls me with good results. If it’s bad, he usually waits until the appointment. Ugh.
  • beeline
    beeline Member Posts: 193
    edited September 2018
    Options

akmom - direct to implant was the option I was given, too. I had a umx, and due to my "petite" size, they recommended putting an implant in both sides. I decided I'd rather leave my good breast alone so have opted to go half flat. Honestly my bust was never the first thing people noticed about me and still isn't though I will probably at least try a foob at some point. On the pain front - I thought I'd be one of those people who only needed pain pills for a day or two, but I used my whole prescription and could have taken more. I think it was really the axillary node dissection that hurt, though. 6 weeks out I still have pain in my armpit.

Hope everyone is staying safe with the storm and looking after yourselves.

• WonderWoman75
    edited September 2018
    Options

Sadlynew...Yep. The TE feels like it is trying to burst out of my body. Like they tried to shove a kitchen bag into where my tiny breasts were. Painful and tight and odd. I see my PS on Monday to get them filled up a little. How bizarre is it that I will just walk out with bigger foobs? Amazing.

I am seeing my MO for the first time on the 24th because that score thing takes so long and my sister-in-law is getting married on the 22nd so I postponed it.

I am laying in the sun with music on. Just came in for a break from the heat.

Let us know your path results. Waiting sucks and cancer can bite it.

• crawfish
    crawfish Member Posts: 206
    edited September 2018
    Options

Well, I had my first fill this afternoon. It was ..... different. I'm needle phobic, so I didn't watch, but I still got a bit creeped out because I knew what he was doing. He used a magnet to locate the port, marking it with a pen, then he stuck in the needle which was attached to an iv like tube that connected to the sterile saline solution. He allowed it to fill, which was not painful but became sort of tight and uncomfortable and at that point he stopped. He put 50 ccs in both sides. They're bigger, but not dramatically so.

He did give me a few more pain pills, but made it clear I should be fine without them at this point. He explained that what I was experiencing was primarily muscle tightness. He gave me some range of motion/stretching exercises to do which should help me loosen up my chest muscles. He also explained certain postures can trigger the muscles and cause pain. The bottom line is that good posture is actually not good for me right now. Go figure. I'm a jeweler and rely on good posture to maintain my neck and back to work at my bench for hours at a time. This will be a balancing act!

I had to chuckle at you, WonderWoman, getting mad and using that energy to help you wean off the pain pills. I get that, completely. Whatever works!

• kk2018
    kk2018 Member Posts: 54
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi Ladies - So I'm 6 weeks out tomorrow, anticipating/kind of dreading my 5th fill. They gave me 20 5/325 percocet when they discharged me and when I asked for more a week later my doc suggested muscle relaxers instead - robaxin. They really helped me realize it wasn't so much pain but muscle spasms I was experiencing when I felt like the TE's would all of a sudden feel like they were trying to escape my skin. I never maxed out the daily dose but I definitely relied on them for several weeks and take one before I get a fill along with tylenol or advil. I have pre-pec expanders which are supposedly less painful than sub-pec. I also STILL have weird armpit pain/numbness/weirdness from my AND and I feel like now that my drain is gone on that side for only a week now I have fluid build up during the day that dissipates over night. I'm at 500ccs I think and I'm interested/trepidatious about how many more fills I will have. I was large busted before but not sad to have a smaller chest now. Good luck healing - I'm happy to report it does get better!

• Collins1996
    Collins1996 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi all, New to the page. Had BM for extensive DCIS aug 24 and finding a couple side effects that I don’t understand. My mind is foggy, word finding more than usual menopause, and unsteady on my feet. Any thoughts

• akmom
    akmom Member Posts: 98
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi Collins, are you on any painkillers or other meds? I did feel a little insecure walking for the first week or two but that soon resolved. Foggy mind could be meds or sleep disturbance - are you sleeping well

• WonderWoman75
    edited September 2018
    Options

I am 17 days post op. Off pain meds for two days. I am still a bit unsteady when I get up. I DROVE my Jeep today and showered myself, including washing my own hair. My Jeep is manual so I was a bit scared.

I get my first "fill" on Monday and see medical oncologist on the 24th. My last steri strips peeled off from surgery and my incisions are big, but look okay. It's kind of like Frankenboob.

I am praying for all of you. Sadlynew...I have been thinking about you.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and for sharing this horrible experience with everyone to help us on this journey. I think I will take a nap now since I am worn out from meeting my hubby for lunch. Small steps make a big difference. Keep on fighting. F U CANCER!

• Sadlynew2018
    edited September 2018
    Options

hey WW! Thanks for your kind thoughts. Congrats on being able to drive a manual Jeep! I bet that helped tremendously. Sometimes just the air outside seems to work wonders.

My SO thinks he should have my axillary path tomorrow. Praying hard for good results.

I have my first fill Monday as well and appt with my MO later next week. I went today to let my PS drain a little more from around these awful frying pans they call tissue expanders. Ugh. I have my drain in from my ALND and hopefully can get that out Monday. Recovery has been ok from that. It’s these TEs that have my muscles all out of whack!

Can’t wait to get treatment started. Whenever that will be. I will finally feel like I’m on the offense (hopefully)!

Sending good thoughts to all. Let’s keep going.

• crawfish
    edited September 2018
    Options

KK2018, I had a similar discussion with my PS yesterday. He was reluctant to give me more pain meds (I was anticipating that, but still... dammit!) and explained about the tight muscles and how my mind is interpreting the sensation. You say you're on your 5th fill? How has your experience been with each fill? Painful? More muscle spasms? I guess I'm hoping things will even out a bit and future fills will be a nonissue. I was intrigued that you have prepec expanders, as I didn't realize that was a thing. Is the idea to stretch the skin? Hope you're doing well today.

• crawfish
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi, Collins, and welcome to our group. Those are symptoms I think you definitely need to discuss with your doctor. I'm with akmom, I wonder if it's medication related.

((Hugs)) to all.

• beeline
    beeline Member Posts: 193
    edited September 2018
    Options

Collins, I didn't have the unsteadiness, but I def had trouble with word-finding for about a month after my umx. It was really weird and frustrating , but my BS said it was a fairly common side effect of anesthetic. It has gone away now -- though I can only assume chemo brain will bring it back!

Sadly - hoping for good news from your path report!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,025
    edited September 2018
    Options

Welcome to all Newbies here Medicating. Collins1996, akmom brings up a good point about pain killers. What other meds are you? Definitely contact your doctor if you are concerned.

• Sadlynew2018
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Had a terrible day afternoon and evening. It was my first time since diagnosis that I really started to feel down. Is that happening with others as well? Before today, I would cry and sometimes be mad. But today was different. I felt hopeless. I’m hoping this day was the last one I ever have like this. Looking forward to waking up tomorrow ready to kick butt. Thanks for letting me vent. Hoping everyone is doing well.
  • WonderWoman75
    edited September 2018
    Options

Sadlynew...me too. I am tired of waiting. I felt like that yesterday. I had a sad day. Today, while enjoying my first shower alone, I broke down. It is like a bad dream. I keep thinking this can't really be happening to me, but yes, it is.

I am paying for my Jeep drive and the laundry that I did today. I broke down and took 1 of my remaining 3 precious pain pills. It didn't really touch on the pain under my left breast, same side as nodes were removed, however I know I had better slow down and not try to do too much.

Does anyone have a dimple or dent in their TEs? It is extremely painful and it looks different than my other foob. Seeing PS on Monday. I am gonna ask him about it. I am also going to bring him my pain pill bottle. I don't think it is fair that we have to shoot through so many hoops to get pain relief. 🤬

I miss my students. They are so special to me. 😞 When I was feeling sad, I got the mail and it was a card from one of my colleagues. Made my day.

What is this chemotherapy thing like? AC-Taxol? Anyone know anything about that? I read it is a 3 hour IV session? Can't be any worse than the surgery. I guess. Just wondering. Do I need a driver? Like will the drugs make me drowsy, etc?

Hugs to all. Sleep well. I feel I will have a hard time. Watching the movie Office Space. Xoxo

• crawfish
    edited September 2018
    Options

Oh, Sadlynew and WonderWoman, I’m so sorry you’re struggling. (((((Hug))))) I do think it’s normal to have days like that, especially when the weight of uncertainty is on your shoulders. Our minds just cycle through worst case scenarios until we just can’t stand it.

Today will be better. ☀️ Let’s make it so.

• Sadlynew2018
    edited September 2018
    Options
    thank, y’all. And yes, you are exactly right, crawfish. I’ve got to break this vicious cycle of bad scenarios. We have 3 Young’s kids so we haven’t go enough “public” (yet?) with everything. So my support system is my hubs, my mom and y’all 😊, which has been awesome. But this struggle is agonizing. Hanging in there. Hope everyone is doing well today.

Crawfish - are you from NC? How are you with the storms?
  • WonderWoman75
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hey All,

I had a hard time sleeping last night having so much pain under my rib cage on the left. I decided that I would walk to my local bakery and treat myself to two donuts. My pain is still there, but I enjoyed my breakfast. I only have one pain pill left. So sad that we are treated like junkies after all we have been through. Have a great day!

WW

• Elijahgirl
    Elijahgirl Member Posts: 111
    edited September 2018
    Options

Collins, I definitely think you should talked with your doctor, if you never took narcotics for pain before you might be having a reaction. Sometimes anesthesia effect you.

Sadlynew, I am glad you feel that you have a support system with this blog, there is a song that I listen too that helps called “One day at a time" I have to take each day a day at a time otherwise I tend to project about things I cannot control.

It sounds like most of you ladies had implants so I cannot help in that area as I had the tram flap. I thought my recovery would go a lot smoother than it has, I still get really winded, and having to have another surgery 3 weeks later and another drain. Fortunately, I am getting through the day without pain medication but once a day mainly to help me sleep.

Finding out I had BC when trying to prevent it was a shock as I lived it with my mom and sister and now I am living it myself so I agree with you WW Cancer Sucks! It has taken so much from us all and the scars we wear will be a testament of how we might have gotten knocked down but we won the war on CA becwe are the survivors. I beat it once, and I have beaten it again! But I will never forget what it has taken from me and I intend on doing my part so no one else has to join a blog like this!

So whatever it takes ladies we got this!

• crawfish
    edited September 2018
    Options

Elijahgirl, a tram flap is a LOT to recover from. In addition to the breasts, you have abs to recover as well. Why will you need another surgery in a few weeks? I'm sending you a salute -- you're a trooper to not need pain meds anymore. Did you ever have genetic testing? I'm so sorry your family is going through so much with this disease.

Sadlynew ... you're in my thoughts today. Yes, I'm in NC, thankfully a couple hours from the coast. So far we've dodge the worst of it, although I hate saying stuff like that cuz I don't wanna jinx it!

"My pain was still there but I enjoyed my breakfast." --WonderWoman I love this. You know what, indulge in some guilty pleasures tomorrow too. You might as well reward yourself for getting this far! #donutsrock Oh, and I don't know if you're a wine lover, but since you're out of narcotics, I suggest you enjoy a nice glass of chardonnay.

Cheers, everyone!

• WonderWoman75
    edited September 2018
    Options

Well, I called my primary care doctor and told him what pills I wanted and I had relief by 8:00 pm. He gave me Norco and more than "I can only give you 40 at a time" like my surgeon said. I love that man! He called it in, so no long drive to pick it up. My breast surgeon nurse said I would have to go pick it up and see the doctor. So there, Joann! I should have used my truth lasso on her.

crawfish...I try to use humor in everything that I do. It makes my job as a middle school special education teacher a lot more tolerable. Plus, sarcasm can get you very far in this world.

Elijahgirl...you are my hero. You can fly in my invisible jet any time free of charge. You are so brave.

Carry on ladies! I will do my best to keep everyone laughing...xoxo.

• crawfish
    edited September 2018
    Options

Pout. I wanna fly in an invisible jet.

• WonderWoman75
    edited September 2018
    Options

crawfish...any time!

• Sadlynew2018
    edited September 2018
    Options

just got a call from my SO on a SATURdAY! The pathologist gave him an oral report - 9 nodes total and all were NEGATIVE. So 1/15. So incredibly thankful. Thank you to everyone here for your thoughts during this time. I was truly truly scared.

• crawfish
    edited September 2018
    Options

WOOHOO!!! 🎉🎈

That’s wonderful news, Sadlynew. I’m so happy to hear this. Have a wonderful weekend

• Collins1996
    Collins1996 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2018
    Options

thanks

• susanlouise
    susanlouise Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi ladies! This is my second BC go round. 2+ weeks out from MX and DIEP flap, and reduction on other breast. I am healing well, driving, etc, but still have to be careful obvs. I am waiting on results of Oncotype DX test to see if I do chemo or not. Interestingly, I was overtreated in 2011 (radiation and lymph node removal) so this time my options were limited. No implants after radiation, said PS. And finding sentinel lymph node this time was problematic. But it’s all good and I have great confidence in my docs. ❤️❤️❤️

• ConfusedinNJ
    ConfusedinNJ Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2018
    Options

Wonder Woman— I was having pain under my left breast in this situation as well. My PS explained there are stitches in that area to strengthen the pocket for reconstruction. My pain comes and goes with how much activity I’m doing. If I lay down a while it goes away. Fill days are the worst usually in that spot.