Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Surgery August 2018

Options

Comments

• crawfish
    crawfish Member Posts: 206
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi NCGirl! What part of NC are you in? I hope you aren't dealing with the aftermath of Florence. I'm sorry you're having to deal with lymphedema on top of everything else. Did you have a lot of lymph nodes removed?

Our little group has been quiet the last few days. How is everyone doing?

• akmom
    akmom Member Posts: 98
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi Crawfish, doing pretty well here. Had a bone density scan today as I have just started on Letrizole (aka Femara) and one of the side effects is bone loss. I had a scan 3 years ago and was in good shape but my oncologist wants to keep an eye on it. So far not much in the way of side effects from the AI, maybe a few hot flashes more than usual (have been getting those for 13 years so don’t think they will ever go away completely).

When will it be time to go shopping for prostheses? I will be six weeks out from BMX on Tuesday; still have some of the steri strips (have been trimming off the loose edges) but my range of motion is pretty good now and what I can see of the scar looks okay... I was thinking of trying an aqua size class but not sure how long I have to wait before going to the pool. I have been going ‘flat’ to do errands etc. but not sure about swimming without some kind of foob in there..

How is everyone else doing

• NCGirl1
    NCGirl1 Member Posts: 18
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi Crawfish, I am in the Raleigh area, therefore with the turn of the storm, we were very blessed! Not so much for my Family down east, but they are resilient!

As for the lymphedema, I only had a sentinel disection, I think, with 0/7 report. So I was surprised to find myself in the predicament to say the least. I start Tamoxifen Tuesday and and have a bone density on Thursday, appointments for compression garments. I think I am more nervous about the Tamoxifen, I am very anxious about weight having and the other possible symptoms that might follow.

Who from this group is driving yet? I did trip around the neighborhood and found my expanders got in the way! Still a little too sore, and maybe the edema plays a part in it too. What are your experiences thus far. Thanks !

• akmom
    akmom Member Posts: 98
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi NC girl, I will be at six weeks from double mastectomy on Tuesday. I have been driving for a couple of weeks now, but I am not having reconstruction and did not have any nodes removed, so my experience is no doubt very different from yours. I can move pretty well although still getting weird sensations and feeling discomfort on my upper chest. Using a small pillow under the seat belt helps

• WonderWoman75
    WonderWoman75 Member Posts: 54
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi All!

I am getting my second fill this morning. I keep touching these foobs and wondering if they are this hard now, how can they possibly hold more liquid?

I have been trying to move my arm around and get it going, but it is still very sore and painful. I will ask my PS what the deal is before he pumps me up.

Thinking of everyone. I attended my sister-in-laws wedding this past weekend. My foobs didn't really fill up my dress but I know they will some day. I have not worn a bra since my PS told me it was okay not to. So, I am going commando and loving it.

I will touch base after my fill. I hope my foobs don't pop! Live on all...we got this!

• NCGirl1
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi WonderWoman75

I will be going for my 4th fill today. With each fill I have experienced an approx 24 hour post fill of OMG these things are going to explode LOL. I use the muscle relaxers and Tylenol to help. If it gets to be too much I might take a pain pill to sleep that night. As the week progress things get better, just in time for the next fill YAY! But hey it is the road to recovery! ugh YaY! I'm going to check with my PS today, would love to go braless at night for sure! I will let you know how my fill goes today as well...Yep We Got This :)

• NCGirl1
    edited September 2018
    Options

Thanks akmom,

I can see how not going through a reconstruction process can certainly in this instance be freeing. I guess I am just going to have to continue being patient. I feel like I have done well with the entire process, with the exception of being restricted UGH. this too will pass! I bought a cute little pillow that has velcro tabs to attach to the seat belt, it works great too! Have a great day!

• crawfish
    edited September 2018
    Options

I’ve been driving for two weeks. I’m uncomfortable with the seatbelt but a small pillow helps. I also have to be more careful when I’m making a sharp turn. I’m not worried that I wouldn’t be able to react in an emergency though or I wouldn’t chance it.

The fills really suck, right? I’m not interested in being very big and part of me wants to wimp out now. My next fill is Wednesday am and I’m not looking forward to it.

• Kiso20
    Kiso20 Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2018
    Options

I finally got my pathology report today and some really good news!! All my lymph nodes were negative and apparently they didn’t find any invasive cancer, just the DCIS. Apparently the IDC was removed with the biopsy. Is that even possible? I am still thankful that all is okay and I won’t need chemotherapy but I’ll still need to take the Tamoxifen.

I’m seeing the PS Thursday to see how my incision is doing. It’s still open and draining and I’m still on antibiotics. Hopefully it’ll get better soon so I can start getting filled.

As for driving, I started about a week ago and I tend to put the top of seatbelt behind me so it doesn’t touch my surgery site. I’m terrified that I might need to break quickly and will pop the expander. I’m not even sure if that could happen. I have no choice though since I started work last week

• NCGirl1
    edited September 2018
    Options

Congrats on the Pathology report! I was fortunate like you. I begin Tamoxifen today. :/..... Hope your PS will see improvement on the drains, the wait will be worth it, no rushing this process.

• WonderWoman75
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi Ladies,

I started writing a very negative post and my computer angel deleted it. That bitch!

Congrats on the pathology results. I finally get mine tomorrow.

I am in pain. I am ready to throw in the towel. I am fine with the foobs that I have now. I am only at 120 CCs and I cannot imagine going any bigger. My arm still hurts and my PS told me to not do any exercises for it. I am still doing some of the ones that you posted, Crawfish.

This morning has not been very fun. I feel like popping a pain pill and a muscle relaxer and going back to bed. It is the only place where I am comfy.

I see my MO tomorrow and I hope the news is good. If I can skip chemo, then I will go back to work next week. If not, I will ask for more time. I work with germy teenagers and I do not want to risk getting sick if I am going to have to go through chemo. This all sucks so much. I am so done with this whole thing. I want my boobs back.

F U CANCER!

• Gramto4
    Gramto4 Member Posts: 26
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi WonderWoman

I love the online name! So appropriate for what we are all going through. Throwing in the towel has occurred to many of us at one time or another. I pray you will find the strength to keep going. Best wishes on your pathology report tomorrow. I am currently home recovering from my second surgery- tissue expander exchange to implant on my right breast which I had MX on back in April. I had fat grafting from my abdomen to fill and contour around the implant. My PS also did a reduction and lift to my healthy left breast. I have a drain in on the left breast which hopefully will be taken out at my post op week . It’s been a long 5 months since my diagnosis and I will need one more surgery to reconstruct a nipple Before I am complete . Hang in there And sending positive thoughts your way

• WonderWoman75
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hey Ladies...

Check this website out. I have been assigned a mentor and she is amazing. I texted her when I was feeling down and she called me in two minutes. Just thought that I would pass on the information...It is a great organization.

https://imermanangels.org/

WW

• crawfish
    edited September 2018
    Options

hey WW, I’m sorry you had a rough day. The day of and the day after a fill are tough. I’m bracing myself for my fill in the morning. I am going to ask when I can stop with the fills since I don’t want to be very big anyway.

That’s awesome news, kiso!

How are you feeling, gram? Did this surgery leave you in much pain

• Gramto4
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi crawfish,

This surgery wasn’t too bad. Only difference was I did have a lot of gas pain due to the fat grafting procedure in which they insert a tube laparoscopically just beneath my belly button and air was trapped. Pain meds did nothing for the gas pain and finally the second day I was feeling better.The implant breast is not bad except for the tenderness and bruising where the fat was injected. My left breast which was reduced and lifted is sore especially underneath the breast bone. I know how each fill can be unnerving not knowing how you will feel after. Hope your fill tomorrow goes well. #CarolinaStron

• crawfish
    edited September 2018
    Options

Thanks gram. When was your surgery?

• Gramto4
    edited September 2018
    Options

My surgery was last Thursday September 20th. Did I already ask what part of NC you live in

• NCGirl1
    edited September 2018
    Options

Alright Ladies, I have a question for you all. Might sound crazy, but since my surgery I smell something like anesthesia or aneseptic of some sort coming from me, especially when I have been more active, and I have swelling. I know CRAZY, and btw no one smells it but me. UGH. I don't know if my body releasing stuff from the surgery. Oh well, thought I would throw this out there and see if anyone has experienced anything like this... thanks

• crawfish
    edited September 2018
    Options

Gram, I’m in the Triangle.

NCgirl, I thought I was experiencing that in the first few days after my surgery but I think it was actually a special pillow I had purchased for the occasion. After I washed it the scent went away. I haven’t experienced it since. You’re on a new hormone med, aren’t you? Perhaps it’s related to that

• Elijahgirl
    Elijahgirl Member Posts: 111
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi Ladies, great to here that some of you got some great news. WW hang in there, I know that is easier said then done at times. I am six weeks post op and I got the last drain out yesterday ( complications ) I see the radiation oncologist on the first of October to see if I will be getting radiation crossing my fingers that I don't. Did anyone get a Diep Flap or Tram flap? I still get very bloated especially after I eat it makes me feel miserable my waist is so hard when I touched it. If anyone has advice on this I would be grateful

• Gramto4
    edited September 2018
    Options

Elijahgirl

Wow! 6 weeks with a drain had to be frustrating. The drains were such a nuisance during my recovery. I had two drains, one taken out 2 weeks post op and the other one was 4 weeks post op. I thought it would’ve never end. I did not have a Diep or Tram flap. I figured that the less surgery performed would have shorter recovery time and less risk for complications and infection. Have you mentioned the bloating to your doctor? I’ll be crossing my fingers that you will not need radiat

• WonderWoman75
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hello Fellow Superheroes,

Today I met with my MO. She did not have my oncotype score report yet. So, today was a wash. I was ready for the news, good or bad after waiting so long. The lab says they may have it possibly by Tuesday, the day I am due back at work. My MO extended my leave to next Friday. Monday will be 5 weeks post op. I am hoping if I need chemo that she will extend my leave further.

Crawfish...how was your fill? Gram, Kiso, Sadly, Elijahgirl, how are you all doing? Anyone I missed? NCGirl?

I am so disappointed, I may have to have ice cream for dinner! Carry on my sister warriors!

WW

• NCGirl1
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hey WW,

Well I know that sucked! IceCream it is! Take a deep breath and know that they are taking the time to get it right! This week has been filled with many many appointments. I was telling CrawFish and my cousin who is fighting 3x- BC, who knew it took all this to make "prettier boobs". I am hanging in there and very grateful for all the help I have been getting. Husband working crazy hours plus doing his best to help me and my teenage daughter, and of course all of the crazy school an sport stuff she does. I did have a field trip to the grocery today driving myself, YAY!!!! So I am finally gaining some of my independence back, I am so use to taking care of my own stuff this has been an exercise in humility to say the least!

Just know whatever comes your way you've got this!

• Gramto4
    edited September 2018
    Options

WonderWoman

I’m Sorry that you will have to wait for your report until next week. Waiting can be hell. But like NCGirl said, they are taking the time needed to get it right. Please keep us updated and I’m hoping you get the good news and won’t need chemo

• Kiso20
    edited September 2018
    Options

WW I know what you mean about the waiting. It took forever until I found out about my results finally this Monday. Thankfully I got some really good news. And apparently I did not get an oncotype score because they couldn’t find my IDC which is what I was initially diagnosed with. I’m meeting with the Oncologist next month to discuss if I need any further treatments. I think I still need to take Tamoxifen.

Gramto4 I’m thinking of the same procedure as you. Implant in my left (I have expanded now) and just do a reduction/lift on the right. It may be too early to say but how do they look/feel. Is there a lot of difference?

Work has been tough. Even though I’m only teaching, no patient care, but I’m noticing I have more pain after I get home. It’s hard to follow the 5lbs weight limit. I weighed my bag today and it was 17 lbs (oops!).

• Gramto4
    edited September 2018
    Options

Kiso20

It's only been 6days and since my PS instructed me to keep the surgical bra on twenty four seven, I've only had the bra off 3 times to shower and look closely at them. So far the implant in my right breast looks good and it feels so much better than the TE did. The left breast is good too and the incision sites are not as bad as I expected them to be. I'm anxious to see my PS next week and see what he thinks

• Kiso20
    edited September 2018
    Options

Thanks Gramto4 I hope all goes well next week with your PS. I still have a while before thinking about implants. I’m at 400cc but my PS wants to put in some more before we think about reconstruction. I'm meeting him today. I’ll talk to him about reduction on the other side. I’ve also made an appointment with a private PS who’s an expert in reconstruction. I hate surgeries so I want to go to through this once and be done with it

• crawfish
    edited September 2018
    Options

I'm just getting caught up. Haven't had much time to stay and read lately.

WW -- I hope you enjoyed that ice cream. Sometimes it's the little things that help, and indulging in ice cream is a classic for a reason! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you this week.

How are you, Elijahgirl? That's a difficult surgery to recover from. My abs are helping me compensate for my loss of upper body strength. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to not be able to use my abs too. Hope you're well.

How are the new foobs, Gram?

I hate my expanders. I had a fill on Wednesday, and only got 25 ccs. My PS recommended that I slow down and scheduled my next fill for two weeks out instead of one. Even though I only got 25 ccs I've been having pain and muscle spasms. I feel like such a wimp when I read about others getting 100 ccs at a time. I'm almost done. I'm going to discuss stopping the fills at my next appointment. I'm probably going to end up with implants in the 300 range.

• WonderWoman75
    edited September 2018
    Options

Crawfish...I am only at 120 and I feel like I have boulders under my chest. Wednesday may be my last fill too, which will put me at 180. I am afraid of these things. So foreign feeling. My PS said one more fill will give him "something to work with" as if my foobs are inferior right now? I am going to see how much pain Wednesday brings, but I am not a friend of the TEs.

I never got that ice cream, but I will tonight. Having dinner with two of my sisters and two of my nieces. Gotta show off my foobs! It's like a war medal!

I am hoping to get oncotype score on Tuesday. If I do not need chemo, this will be my last week off. I am scared to go back to work. But, I got some really sweet cards from my students in the mail which made my day. They really miss me and that makes me feel better about this whole C thing.

Enjoy your Sunday all...

WW

• crawfish
    edited October 2018
    Options
    How was dinner, WW? I hope you got that ice cream. I laughed when I read your comment about being afraid of your expanders. I feel the same way! I’m at 135 ccs. Wippetmom says to check back when I’m at 300 ccs. Whaaaat?! lol