Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Surgery August 2018

Options

Comments

• WonderWoman75
    WonderWoman75 Member Posts: 54
    edited September 2018
    Options

Is anyone wearing a special bra? The surgery bra I came home with from the hospital was cheap and uncomfortable, so I bought some open closure sports bras, but it hurts my left side.

Has anyone been told that we need to always wear a bra? I hate wearing one. Just wondering...

• crawfish
    crawfish Member Posts: 206
    edited September 2018
    Options

I hate the bra they gave me at the hospital, even though my nurse navigator optimistically called it "pretty." (it's not) I was instructed to wear "post surgery" bras to provide support. I have a lot of very snug sports bras that I can step in and out of, and those are what I've been wearing. They don't rub my underarm like the "pretty" post surgery bra does -- that thing is NOT soft.

Full disclosure -- I didn't exactly ask permission to wear the sports bras. I just subjectively compared the level of support and decided they were close enough.

• WonderWoman75
    edited September 2018
    Options

Well, I had mixed suggestions...breast surgeon said any comfortable bra, her nurse said only the surgical bra and my PS said whatever is comfortable. I was a 34B, but my husband measured me at a 38, so I have been wearing that. My drain sites are still a bit puffy and although the bras are cotton, I am more comfortable going braless. I feel myself undoing part of my bra if it gets too tight feeling while out in public.

crawfish...do you sleep with the bra on? The alien TEs don't like the bra either...I always hated wearing bras.

• crawfish
    edited September 2018
    Options

Sigh. Unfortunately, yes, I sleep with the bra on. I hate wearing bras to bed. Or at all. (side topic: my reward for going through this mastectomy business is that I Will. Not. Ever. Wear. A. Bra. Again. unless I feel like it) But my PS said I should wear a bra 24/7 for six weeks.

• WonderWoman75
    edited September 2018
    Options

6 WEEKS...I don't think so. That is pure torture. It would be like telling a man to wear a bathing suit 24/7.

But, when my foobs are done healing I am hoping to also go braless.

Sadlynew...I saw you are on the chemotherapy forum. I read some of the posts. What the hell is a cold cap and freezing your hands and feet? This is too much for me to take in right now.

• Sadlynew2018
    Sadlynew2018 Member Posts: 173
    edited September 2018
    Options
    lol WW. So cold capping is a device you put on your head and freezes your scalp during chemo. It’s thought to keep the medicine from affecting your hair (loss). With the cocktail I’m headed towards, there’s a slim chance of keeping hair :-(. Then some can affect your nails so you wear gloves, etc ( I think). I’ve learned more in the last month than I have in 41 years! Ugh.
  • WonderWoman75
    edited September 2018
    Options

Sadlynew...when will you start chemo? Do you know if we can drive ourselves there? I am assuming my first appointment will just be a consult but I have really no idea. The damn score isn't back yet.

• Kiso20
    Kiso20 Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2018
    Options

My post surgery bra was not bad but I felt I needed another one to rotate since my PS told me I must wear a bra at all times. I bought a sports bra but it’s very uncomfortable and tight. So I did some research and found a store near me that sells mastectomy bras and even ‘fake boobs’. I found a somewhat comfortable bra that opens in the front and I even bought a ‘fake boob’.

I still have no oncotype score yet and I won’t know for another two weeks. Agh, the wait is driving me crazy! I can’t make any long term plans, not even two weeks in advance because I don’t know what my mental state will be.

But I am going back to work tomorrow. I bought a sling to avoid awkward questions. My cover story is I had a shoulder surgery (they only know I was on a medical leave). Hopefully they’ll buy it.

Keep up the good fight ladies and happy Sunday!!

• Elijahgirl
    Elijahgirl Member Posts: 111
    edited September 2018
    Options

I been told different things at different times. My PS told me to go bra less . I was not given a bra at first. Then at one of the follow up appointments I was told to wear a bra for support. This last surgery they sent me home with a bra and abdominal wrap. I guess it is up to the individual. I have had to wear bandages on my breast so wearing a bra helps, but I am like Wonder Woman I intend to go bra less as much as possible

• crawfish
    edited September 2018
    Options

Good luck at work today, Kiso. It's my first full time day back as well. Your cover story is genius. No reason they won't buy it.

I'm amazed at how different the instructions are from our PS's. Some can shower, just be careful, others told absolutely no showers. Some can go without a bra or support garment, just be comfortable, others told to wear uncomfortable body armor for weeks and weeks. Some are given exercises, others none. So strange.

• Sadlynew2018
    Sadlynew2018 Member Posts: 173
    edited September 2018
    Options

hey WW! I think we can drive ourselves? Not sure when I start but thinking it will be next month sometime. I have an appointment tomorrow with my MO to see the cocktail and a planned course of action. Then have a second opinion scheduled in 2 weeks that I hope goes well :-) my onco was 27. Ugh.

• WonderWoman75
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hey Ladies,

I am heading off for my first fill. Those of you going back to work, Take it slow. I cannot even imagine going back to work yet.

I am three weeks post op today. My plan is to wait and see what the MO says before I go back to work. I am supposed to be back on 10/3, but if chemo is gonna kick my ass, I want more time.

Good luck ladies! I am wearing the sports bra that I bought, so I will see what my PS says. The hospital one is awkward and this one is more comfy. I have to admit, I went bra-less for the whole afternoon yesterday. We went on a walk. These little foobs are perky, but they feel so hard.

I hate that we have to wait so long for that damn score. Happy Monday to my warriors! I will update you all after I go to the filling station. Happy

WW

• rachelcarter35
    rachelcarter35 Member Posts: 256
    edited September 2018
    Options

I had 12 weeks (4 sessions every 3 weeks) of chemo (TC) and had a support person with me the first three times. The last one I took Lyft and that worked out well. I think having someone there at least for the first one is a good idea. The chemo is pretty tiring but the pre treatment is the thing that makes driving difficult. The benedryl made me too groggy and the steroids made me too tweeky to even imagine driving myself.

• WonderWoman75
    edited September 2018
    Options

rachelcarter35...Thanks for the reply. I don't see my MO until 9/26, so I am hoping that I will get my score and a plan of attack. How did the chemo make you feel afterwards? How long are the injections? I am not sure if I should just take more time off or if I will try to work when I get chemo. Just trying to prepare for the next step.

My fill went well. PS told me that I do not have to wear a bra ever again if I don't want too. This is the best news I have received yet! I am trying to be more positive.

Carry on ladies. I am so glad that I have all of your support. Hug

• rachelcarter35
    rachelcarter35 Member Posts: 256
    edited September 2018
    Options

The 'starting chemo in June 2018' forum is a good read through to see what to expect and solutions for dealing with various side effects. People have very different SE depending upon which drugs they are on and their own personal physical make up. I personally can't imagine having to work through chemo but that's a luxury not everyone can afford. If I had had to work it would have been intermittent at best. Day 3- 10 afterwards I was pretty useless: nauseated, fatigued and emotional. Like I said it varies with every person. I've gotten through it and am on the mend now.

• Elijahgirl
    edited September 2018
    Options

wonder women, glad your fill went well, as for not wearing a bra my PS said the same thing once my graft heals completely! I knew there’s a reason I was born in the sixties lol!

Has anyone experience chest pain along your chest wall / sternum? Mine is really sore

• WonderWoman75
    edited September 2018
    Options

Elijahgril...Yes, I have had chest pain. It has been difficult for me to take deep breathes. My rib cage is also very angry. Pain in the left breast when I am able to take deep breathes.

I wonder why I was never given any instructions for exercises...?? I am starting back on the elliptical tomorrow morning to try and decrease my belly and flabby legs.

• crawfish
    edited September 2018
    Options

WW-- how many cc's did you get today? I was only able to take 50 cc's in my fill, and my expanders were empty! My next fill is Wednesday.

Elijahgirl, I know what you mean about chest/sternum pain. My sternum feels like there's a nail in it or something. Hard to explain, but I'm guessing you guys know anyway. I'm making myself take occasional deep breaths because it seems like that helps stretch that area.

WW, my PS gave me some stretches, not really exercises per se. I can share them with you if you like. I've found them helpful when it comes to range of motion.

• WonderWoman75
    edited September 2018
    Options

crawfish...I am pretty sure that I got 50. I keep looking at them because they are still so high. I have a fill scheduled for next Monday and the following Monday. All I know is, they are bigger than my real boobs were. This is wild. It is like trying on a Halloween costume, sort of.

• Elijahgirl
    edited September 2018
    Options

ww you crack me up lol ! I wonder why the chest wall is so sore. I think they had cut some muscle when the breast was removed. All I know is I noticed it more since I am wearing a bra I can hardly wait for the day I can go bra less Crawfish, my pain feels like I am getting poked my nail sometimes too, but mostly it feels like a big bruise.

• WonderWoman75
    edited September 2018
    Options

Okay ladies...Arm pain and weakness in the arm that had nodes removed. I feel like it is the worse in the morning, very painful. I can barely use it to pick anything up. It is not swollen, however. Am I just having nerve pain? It hurt a lot this morning and I did drive into Chicago yesterday, so maybe I used it too much. But, another unknown factor as usual.

crawfish...I would love to know what exercises you were given because I still have not been given anything to do with these arms of mine. Also, these foobs that have been filled, so big and tight. When will they ever drop?

• crawfish
    edited September 2018
    Options

WW, call your doctor about the arm pain, just in case.

I’m going to post pics of the exercises he gave me here.

• crawfish
    edited September 2018
    Options

• crawfish
    edited September 2018
    Options

• crawfish
    edited September 2018
    Options

• crawfish
    edited September 2018
    Options

Your TE’s aren’t ever going to “drop,” WW. Sadly, we have to wait for exchange for that.

I had another 60 ccs filled today and I AM SORE. I am amazed at those who are able to take 100ccs or more in one fill. That just isn’t going to happen for me.

• MaddieBrie1
    MaddieBrie1 Member Posts: 112
    edited September 2018
    Options

I was TE deflated (air) and inflated the same day at PS about 3 weeks post surgery. Was the weirdest feeling - husband said it looked "wicked cool". Going in for axillary lymph node dissection next Tues. Had 6 of 8 positive during MX. Hoping no more positive.

Had a few physical therapy sessions, feeling better about motion range. Everything still feels high and tight, but better range now than before. Loved those exercise posts/pics! My PS had me try walking the wall gently and that was about it....

• Kiso20
    Kiso20 Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2018
    Options

I continue to stay at 400cc. My incision is not closing and filled with sloughso my PS keeps continuing my antibiotics and delaying my fill. Anyone else having trouble with their incisions? I don’t know what to do, other than the wound care instructions I got from the PS.

I’m seeing my surg onc MD on Monday to find out my path results. I’m praying for good results.

Crawfish those pics are so helpful. I’ve been told I’m clear to move however I want but to avoid lifting anything over 5lbs. I’ll start doing those exercises!

• crawfish
    edited September 2018
    Options

When were your surgeries, Maddie?

Kiso, I'm sorry you're having difficulties with your incisions. Ive been very fortunate with mine. They've healed quite nicely. But I've had surgeries in the past where one or more incision didn't want to heal properly. It sucks.

I had my second fill on Wednesday. I'm now up to 110 ccs. I have to laugh at myself because this is such a small amount compared to what others have had filled -- sometimes even all at once -- and I'm feeling kind of pitiful. My first fill was 50 ccs and it was fine. I was still in a bit of pain from my BMX, so any additional wasn't all that noteworthy. My PS added 60 on Wednesday and I could barely move by the end of the day. The next day I had terribly tight neck and shoulder muscles from compensating for the tight and painful pectoral muscles. I made myself do the exercises last night and took ,muscle relaxers and I think I feel better this am. I'm going to make a point of doing my exercises every couple of hours today.

Are any of you on the picture forum? I started a thread, but haven't added pics yet. I just haven't had time to sit down and resize the pics and get them on there. I haven't posted here much in the last couple of days either. Just a lot going on. Hopefully this weekend I can get on that. It doesn't seem to me like the picture forum is particularly active? But I'm sharing pics for sure -- none including my head, of course. I've found it so helpful and reassuring to see others' pictures and want to "give back." Also I want opinions on my pics. I think my expanders look much bigger with 110 ccs than some do with over 300, but I'm not exactly objective. I'd love for my sisters on this thread to give me their opinions. I'll let y'all know when my pics are up.

• NCGirl1
    NCGirl1 Member Posts: 18
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hello Fellow 1 in 8's!

This Monday will mark my 6th week post op, all has gone well and I am in the middle of reconstruction via expanders. I have perused the sight, searched for info, etc., but this is my first post. It has been nice to be able to read and be aware of the fact that I am no alone in this process. Today I had an appointment at a rehabilitation place to learn about lymphedema , to be able to identify it etc... Well she took measurements and educated then told me I have some mild edema. Ugh....I now have to be fitted for a compression garment and go to clinic once a week. Have any of you experienced this?