Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo Starting August 2018

Options

Comments

• beeline
    beeline Member Posts: 193
    Options

Kelly-Anne, just popping in from the September chemo thread to reiterate what bostoniangal said about the bone and ct scan. For me, both were quite open machines without the claustrophobia potential and noise of an MRI. The injection for the bone scan wasn’t bothersome at all, but I was so glad the tech warned me before the CT injection that I might feel like I was wetting myself because I totally did and it was a very disconcerting feeling

• Kelly-Anne
    Kelly-Anne Member Posts: 62
    Options

Thanks Boston! Helps to have some details. 😀

• KWilli
    KWilli Member Posts: 94
    Options

Beeline! The pants peeing thing is crazy! I’m so glad they warned me!

I will look into the Claritin; thanks all!

Walking every day has been an incredible (although sometimes difficult) way to feel better; mind, body and soul. My husband walks with me and we take our dogs. It’s some together time away from the “house of cancer” too!

• mactaz
    mactaz Member Posts: 592
    Options

Hi all, I had my first Chemo on Aug 31, Labor Day weekend, and looking for any tips or insight. Im on TCHP, 6 treatments every 3 weeks then Herceptin for a full year. The first round has been tough, felt good for two days and now realize it was the steroids. After that I am struggling, initially constipation and now diarrhea, this is day 8. I haven't been able to eat much and have lost 8#. I'm drinking my fluid, not much nausea but because of stomach issue just can't eat much. Im taking Imodium, but it still seems like every time I eat, the stomach cramps come back. I really need to get this reset as it is starting to ware me down mentally. I had been active prior to this but just can't get any energy back. Did see my MO yesterday and he said all blood work was good, thought I should see improvement in a couple days. Does it really last this long every time? Any thoughts would be much appreciated- round 2 is in 2 weeks.

• Sunshine89
    Sunshine89 Member Posts: 56
    Options

MACTAZ, my chemo drugs are different then you, i have more aggressive dose... on first infusion i felt bad till day 6 and i didnt feel any stomach problemat all i was feeling dizziness... and from day 7 to onward i felt fine... my nausea lasts only 3 days which get controlled my medicine. i hope you wil be fine in a dy or two...Good Luc

• Sunshine89
    Options

Hii All, i want to ask if you guys take any oral steriods after chemo for 2 or 3 days as an antisickness ?? or you take steriods with chemo only ? My MO said the medicine she gave me to eat after chemo for 3 days are steriods which i ditched this time and i am feeling fine as 3rd day is going to start..

After my first chemo i couldn't drink much water because simple water was causing nausea... this time i have added half lemon in 2 letter water and i can easily drink it... lemon i anti cancerous and together with water it becomes detox water and wash out body...i have good experience you guys can also try

• j_bluesky
    j_bluesky Member Posts: 15
    Options

Mactaz, I had the exact same symptoms. Lost 10 pounds the first week and almost blacked out from not eating for so long. Every time any tiny morsel touched my stomach it would cramp severely, then later on diarrhea. My doctor called in Lomotril (anti-diarrhea) and Ativan (to relax the stomach muscles so they won't cramp) for me. It helped immediately. He tried Bentyl before that, but it didn't do anything for me.

• mactaz
    Options

Thanks Bluesky, if I don’t see much relief soon I will ask my MO. I hope all continues to go well for you.

• RimRoc
    RimRoc Member Posts: 22
    Options

thanks! I had the PICC placed Thursday morning and chemo (DD AC) that aft. Much peace of mind not having to worry about extravasation!!

Now with pretty persistent nausea from the adriamycin. I wonder how long it lasts? This is day 3 of the cycle.

I’m a nurse practitioner so I can’t take any form of marijuana or I risk my license. Too bad!!

Just getting by with compazine which makes me sleepy.

• Livlife
    Livlife Member Posts: 36
    Options

Mactax - I have same symptom as you. I take TCH and stomach cramping was so bad. Anything that touches my stomach gives me stomach cramps and diarrhea it made my cry due to the pai. Mine lasted for 8-9 days every time. I lost 7 lbs in a week. I'm on my 3rd next Tuesday.

My doctor just can't gave me Imodium which didn't help then later on my pharmacist gave me Reglan low dose. I used it only for a day. As it got better after day 10.

• SarahNola
    SarahNola Member Posts: 45
    Options

Hi Mactaz!

We are on the same regime. I have 6 rounds of TCHP and a year of herceptin. I had round 2 yesterday. I had the same stomach issues but Imodium and nexium helped. But it did take almost 10 days to feel better.

Which I why I am dreading the next week...ugh.

My MO did say to take steroids for two days after infusion this time which I did not do the first time. Last time I only took them the day before and day of. So I am hoping that helps.

Are you triple positive?

I am emotionally having a rough day and I haven’t had many. This is tough. Mentally and physically.

Hang in! It does get better then you will have a couple of good weeks before the next round.

Send good vibes!

Sarah

• wanderweg
    wanderweg Member Posts: 487
    Options

@Tracy - looks like we’re doing the same Tc x4, but you started about a week ahead of me. This is the end of 9 day of my first cycle, so I’m thinking I’m pretty close to losing my hair. I’ve already cut mine super short, but I’ll buzz it once it starts falling out.

• Hughope1
    Hughope1 Member Posts: 116
    Options

MACTAZ I am on TCHP 6 rounds every three weeks, done two rounds next one is on the 14th. Are you taking the Zarxio shots to build back your white blood cells. I usually feel pretty rough for about 9-12 days after infusions then I get a nice break of feeling normal before I have to do it again. Most of us are about half way. I can't wait till we are all at the finish line.

good luck and best wishes. Hughope

• mactaz
    Options

SarahNola, I am triple positive, and next week I have another biopsy for additional suspicious areas found on the MRI. LUCKILY, the same breast and they said left breast was healthy with no node involvement anywhere so I am thankful. My 2nd round is Sept 20. This all just happens so fast, there is so much to cope with mentally when you first get diagnosed.

Thanks for your support, I will be thinking of you, and hope this week goes better for you

• mactaz
    Options

Hughope1, they give me Neulasta using on on-body injector to build white cell count. My white cell count was way up, so hopefully this will help as some other readings are out of whack, as expected I guess.

I'm feeling better today but still working on figuring out the food issue. Trying to concentrate on getting protein, fiber and fluid to ensure I don't go back to constipation prior to 2nd treatment on the 20th. My MO did tell me to start taking Senna, over the counter vegetable laxative tablet to help maintain regularity. Has anyone heard of this?

Thanks to everyone for comments and information. It makes it easier, especially on those bad days, to have a community of people offering their strength and support.

• SarahNola
    SarahNola Member Posts: 45
    Options

hughope been thinking about you. hope you are feeling good! 💕

mactax I had a second biopsy too which ended up being clear. keeps us posted.

I felt the same way so much and so fast sometimes it is still hard for me to wrap my head around. I told my neighbor this morning I had chemo Friday and just saying the words...I was thinking wait I had chemo Friday?!?

Will be great when we are all celebrating being finished!

Sending out healing,healthy vibes to all of you ladies today!

• cefinkc
    cefinkc Member Posts: 54
    Options

Hello All — sounds like a few of us are in the midst of a treatment. I’m on Day 5 and had high hopes that my 2nd round would go better. Oh well. No dice. My Zofran and Compaxine did not stop my nausea today. It’s the first time I “lost my cookies”. I called my on-call line and they told me to take a Decadron to get me through till bedtime. Can’t wait to get thru this round! Car

• j_bluesky
    Options

Good evening cefinkc,

Yes I am on day 3 of treatment 2. Been stuck in bed most of the day. No appetite. Severe heartburn. Hurricane is heading this way (myrtle beach). No energy to even make a plan. Ugh.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

J bluesky, I'm on the same chemo as you, and also just out of treatment 2. You are a couple of days behind me.

No appetite + very hungry at the same time is a rather good cosmic joke! But, now on day 6 I am starting to feel more normal (still tired but eating a bit better).

My main complaint/ discomfort is constipation. I took too long of a walk today-- and had to stop at two gas stations! And I got semi nauseous, too I think from the over-exertion. But that went away pretty swiftly, and the rest of the day I was just tired. I don't really mind being tired if I can snooze. 1/3 of the way for us!

edit: on the same Taxotere & carboplatin, but I am TNBC

• mactaz
    Options

Bluesky, I'm thinking of you - I'm in SC but other side of state, I hope you are in a safe place.

Bluesky, cenfinkc and santabarbarian, Im sending you all hugs and hoping you get to feeling better.

It appears I'm a little more than week behind you, looks like everyone experiences it a little different. Im on day10 after 1st and still have cramping but slowly getting better.

• Hughope1
    Hughope1 Member Posts: 116
    Options

Hello All And best wishes to all South Carolina you are in my thoughts.

• Sunshine89
    Options

i am day 5 after AC#..2nd time it went much much better for me ....felt very mild head spinning on day 3 and 4...

• mactaz
    Options

sinshine89, happy to hear it got better for you, hang in there There is hope for all of us.

• NashS
    NashS Member Posts: 6
    Options

Hello Sunshine89 and all the other ladies,

Friday finally got my plan set up...still have some tests to run over before I get chemo (no date set up yet)... but here's the treatment:

6 sessions of TAC: Taxotere, Adriamycin and Cyclophosphamide, every 21 days. She also said, probably no radiation. I have to be admitted every 21 days into the hospital, leaving the next day.

Asked her about trying cold caps...to which she absolutely said: worthless...that was such a blow as a I really wanted to try it. She said that with my type of treatment it wouldn't work. Then I reminded myself I don't have to worry about the things I can't control...If my hair is going to shred and fall and there's nothing I can do about it, so be it. What I can control is how I permit myself to feel about it...

How's everybody doing?

• cefinkc
    Options

Hello Nash -- so glad you received your plan. That is always such a relief. Have you had surgery yet? Or is that on the tail end?

Yahoo Sunshine89! So happy that your 2nd infusion went better. I'm on day 6, and finally turning a corner. No 'losing my cookies' today so far!! Hopefully I can control the nausea from here forward. Weird that the Prozac did not work this time.

My prayers go out to you East coast brethren with the storm!

• cefinkc
    Options

Ha ha .. what chemo brain - not Prozac!!!! Zofran!!!! Sheesh!!!!

• Appyfan
    Appyfan Member Posts: 55
    Options

NashS, I don’t think cold capping is worthless, as long as you’re prepared for the possibility that you may lose a lot of hair anyway. Take a look at the cold cap users past and present thread and see what the success rate is for people on your chemo regimen. My understanding was adriamycin is the toughest on hair, but I think someone recently posted a link to a German study on the aforementioned thread that said when the taxane is done first, the success rate was better.

• Appyfan
    Appyfan Member Posts: 55
    Options

NashS, here’s the post I saw:

DHTJoined: Mar 2016Posts: 3Latest activity:Sep 9, 2018

Post a replyReport this Post

23 hours ago DHT wrote:

Sadlynew,

I follow the scalp cooling research and there was a german study of different combinations of AC/T and scalp cooling published recently. The AC+T treatments had the lowest success with 47.4% success rate in the treated patient group according to the common judgement method. However, the interesting conclusion was that the results were greatly improved with reversed order T+AC, with 73.9% success rate, almost as high as T alone.

Seems the forum does not accept links, but the name of the publication is "Sensor-controlled scalp cooling for chemotherapy-induced alopecia: Safety and effectiveness in primary breast cancer patients exposed to anthracyclines and/or taxanes in the neoadjuvant or adjuvant setting."

• mactaz
    Options

Bluesky, I’m worried about you, I see they are calling for evacuation of the coast. Do you have someone that can help you

• j_bluesky
    Options

mactaz,

Thank you for your concern! Unfortunately all my circle are stubborn and not evacuating. My sister happens to be at a cabin in TN for vacation, and offered to book it an extra week if I can make it there. But I have nobody wanting to drive or leave. I've always prided myself on being a strong, independent single mom who can do everything herself. Chemo is basically laughing at me for that now. Between chemo brain causing me to be unable to barely form a thought, let alone make a decision, weakness, now today tingly numbness decided to kick in in my fingers and feet, plus blood in my urine. Ugh. It doesn't feel like I'm strong enough to make it through.