Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo Starting August 2018

Options

Comments

• Kelly-Anne
    Kelly-Anne Member Posts: 62
    Options

I fell off for a few days with the current chemo round... I don’t see Boston or Sunshine either. Hope you are both doing well and will be back here soon

• mactaz
    mactaz Member Posts: 592
    Options

Bluesky, I don’t have any acquaintances near Myrtle Beach, but if you really want to leave I bet we could find someone or some resource to help you. Let me know what I can do.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

Yes, how about you just Uber it??

• j_bluesky
    j_bluesky Member Posts: 15
    Options

Honestly, with my condition right now, I don't see me even being able to travel at all, whether I myself am driving or not. I will be ok. Going to ride it out.

• Bostoniangal25
    Bostoniangal25 Member Posts: 177
    Options

my heart and prayers for south easterners- ❤️Hope less damage! We have rain in Nortern eastern region

Sunshine and other girls-👍👍😘😘be strong !!! We can do it!

Nash- you can try Paxman cooling caps ... I m doing but my regimen is Taxotere /it can cause percent hair loss , and Cytoxan I hope I won’t loose much hair !!! 🙏🙏🙏

• Bostoniangal25
    Options

Hey, I m here- KellyAnn!!!❤️❤️❤️My next T C is on 19 of September, it s the third one!!!

Still doing my occupational therapy because have done cords from lymph node removal ...

KellyAnn., hope you feel much much better !!!🙏🙏🙏

When is your whole body scans? Let us know, pleSe!!!

• Hughope1
    Hughope1 Member Posts: 116
    Options

J bluesky

We are both stage II with grade III. I just turned 60 years old. I am also a vary strong woman, but cancer has showed me who is in control right now.

You not evacuating is crazy, not only putting your life in danger. But later someone trying to get in to help you. I am in Georgia, if you decide to evacuate and need someplace to head, please let me know. I have no problem trying to help you. Who knows maybe we can go to chemo together. LOL!

I have a 32 year old daughter heading into the storms who works as a grounds person for the line men, that will be trying to get your power back up. Please do not play with the storm. Best wishes and prayers go out to you and everyone in the path. Hughope1.

• santabarbarian
    Options

Hughope1 is right. It is important to be safe.

• Kelly-Anne
    Options

Hi Bostoniangal, good to see you back 😁. Hope you’re at least enjoying the getting out part of physio! I lost a few days to down time after my 2nd round late last week.

Scans are next week and the wait isn’t going well. I’ve got a nasty bit of PTSD going on from the radioactive tracer injection before my surgery. The shrink they assigned to help deal with it cancelled my last 2 appointments and I have to go back to the same department next week for the scan’s. I feel like a dope being so panicked about a scan, but it is really upsetting me...

On the home front my mom came to visit and she took me out for a bit of shopping today. It was nice to get some air after hanging about the house for days.

Keep an eye out for Sunshine. She fell off after being here almost every day. If you find her first give her a virtual hug.

Hughope and bluesky - I’m in the stage II grade III group too. I’m lucky enough to be off work on STD for now. Getting my daughter out the door to school with a smile is my morning job these days.

Hope you all stay safe out of the US E-coast storms.
  • Hughope1
    Hughope1 Member Posts: 116
    Options

Kelly-Anne I see so many of you have already had some type of surgery. My tumor is about 2cm and they say they need to shrink it before surgery. I was told after MRI by my doctor that lumpectomy was off the table because of the size and that I was now looking a mastectomy. I have complete two rounds of TCHP, next one is coming up this Friday. Then I see the surgeon on Oct. 2nd, for consultation, and fourth round of chemo on the 5th of Oct. I will see if anything changes then. Last couple days of feeling normal again before the nightmare starts all over.

SickTired

• Kelly-Anne
    Options

Hi Hughope,
    If you aren’t comfortable about the surgery choice ask again. I was told lumpectomy cutoff was 4cm and my scan was 3.1cm and I chose the lumpectomy. 3 1/2 weeks after the scan was surgery and they removed 5.6cm. I’ll never be a swimsuit model, but once dressed you would never know they took suck a chunk. My left is more a B/C rather than a C but a nice bra fixed that up.

I read all our posts and wonder sometimes why we are given the choices we are. I felt almost vain for asking for the lumpectomy, As the mastectomy would have given the potential of no radiation. In the end my lymph nodes were positive and I would have gotten chemo and rad anyway.

It helps having others here to chat with. It is hard to try and put words around some feelings...

• KWilli
    KWilli Member Posts: 94
    Options

Bluesky; I hope you decide to get out of there.

It’s great sharing all our “stuff”; really helps to know we’re not alone. Thank you, ladies!

I was supposed to go for A/C#3 today. Platelets have dropped too low for chemo. Fingers crossed I will be back on schedule soon! I’m hoping to be able to get the Neulasta shot (one needle after each chemo) vs Grastofil (8 stupid needles after each chemo). I forgot to ask about Claritin; will try to remember for Monday!

Kelly-Anne; did I read that you’re off work on STD now? Good for you!

Sending happy thoughts and positivity to all

• Elizabeth9
    Elizabeth9 Member Posts: 31
    Options

HI JimiwithAni: I am a 51 year old mother to nine, grandmother to 2 (soon to be 3). We have 5 biological sons and 6 years ago adopted a sibling set of 4 kids. My kids range in age from 13 to 27. My cancer was spotted on a routine mammo...however, I now know that it was noticed 4 years ago, and was decided to be 'watched'. Nobody informed me of this spot 4 years ago. Once I learned of this in June, I pushed hard for a biopsy. My Dr was very reluctant but put in the request at my insistence. Here I am now with Stage 2, double mastectomy, and currently awaiting results to see if it has metastasized to my liver. My mom was diagnosed at 51, passed at 53. Her sister diagnosed in her thirties, and my 57 year old brother currently having exact same treatment as me for male breast cancer. I worked at a small, not for profit school that just closed in Dec, so I am at least off work and able to focus on getting well. My husband is my protector and my rock. This diagnosis has brought us closer. I now feel weirdly vulnerable without him and I am a strong minded feminist woman. That is weird for me, but I will take it and feel grateful to have him. I am currently devouring any and all books written by women going through this. I find for the most part their thoughts and feeling give me comfort. There are three that come to mind that I have been unable to put down. Love and Laughter in the time of Chemotherapy by Manjusha Pawagi. Cancer: A Love Story by Lauren Segal and The Bright Hour by Nina Riggs

• santabarbarian
    Options

Regarding timing of surgery.... I too am getting chemo first. My tumor was measured as 3.8 cm. I was told that a lumpectomy is likely. Apparently it is well positioned (not near skin, not near chest wall, not near other breast, and not near nipple. Sort of in my side boob.

With my cancer (TNBC) they prefer to leave the tumor in place if you are past stage 1 (I am stage 2) and watch to make sure the tumor responds to the chemo, so if it does not they can change the chemo. The surgeon told me the goal is to shrink the tumor to zero, remove what is hopefully by then a nugget of scar tissue, and then to check the removed tissue for cancer cells to determine if response was complete.

• mactaz
    Options

Hughope1, I would get a 2nd opinion on surgery also. My surgeon initially felt lumpectomy was possible and I had two tumors, combined size would have been around 3cm. I felt initially pressured for mastectomy but I do feel she listened to me. They did find another two spots that I have to have biopsies on next week before a decision is made.

Santababarian, thanks for the info on surgery. That’s interesting and helps in my questions for my BS.

• Bostoniangal25
    Options

KellyAnne will think of you next week- good luck!

I hope sunshine is doing well hopefully, she lives in Hong Kong or Korea so there is a time difference of 13 hours maybe?!

I hope girls before surgery will pick a right solution for a surgery

• mactaz
    Options

kiwilli, curious how low your platlet count was, mine has dropped and I have my next infusion next week. I will have my labs before but wonder what level might delay my next treatment. Thanks.

• Sunshine89
    Sunshine89 Member Posts: 56
    Options

Helloo Everyone, thanks for keeping an eye :) this time i am doing much better ... i often feel mild head spinning but its nothing like first round...i did all cleaning and cooking today and i go for walk everyday...my third AC infusion is on 28th of this month...My mother in law is coming to take care of me and will stay here till end of december...So i hope my loneliness will get better...

Overall i am feeling quite fine...sometimes i get upset with negative thoughts of reccurance:(

NashS...your chemo is like mine but your number of cycles are 6 mine are 8 i think we will complete our chemo at same time...

• KWilli
    KWilli Member Posts: 94
    Options

MACTAZ: I don’t have my numbers as the blood work wasn’t back until after my appointment. I will ask what the threshold is (I’m calling today to see if they can tell me; if not, I will ask Monday).

Santabarbarian: we have the same type (TNBC). It certainly seems to be it’s own animal, doesn’t it? Fingers crossed we only have a teeny scar! My tumour was measuring 8cm at the beginning. My MO said they can’t stage until surgery; no way to know if lymph nodes are involved until sentinel is checked. Does that sound accurate? What’s your chemo regimen?

Sunshine: good to hear from you! Having someone come stay with you will be so nice! Enjoy your visit!

• mactaz
    Options

thanks Sunshine89. I read above thread you might live in Hong Kong, is that right? I lived there for 2 1/2 years and absolutely loved it. Take care and glad you are having a better time this round

• Sunshine89
    Sunshine89 Member Posts: 56
    Options

@Kiwilli are you on AC right now ? do you get infusion after 2 weeks or 3 weeks ? i get every 3 weeks ..whats the difference between two ?

MACTAZ, i am living in Korea actually...Korea is good but there is language barrier...these people only speak and understand korean :(

do you guys have any remedy to look beautiful during chemo :O i mean i try to eat well but still i lost that freshness on my face :( do you guys do anything special for your skin ? anything to tone up my skin tone ...?

Whats the best remedy to bost hemoglobn and blood count ?

• Kelly-Anne
    Options

Hi Sunshine! I sounds odd, but I bought new lighter lipsticks. I look and feel better with different colours than I did when I had hair. Bright pink lipstick looked good with my blonde locks, and baaad with my bald head. I’ve got a light sparkling pink I never would have chosen that my family says makes me look better all over.

• Bostoniangal25
    Options

ladies, I posted somewhere don’t remember where foods that fight Cancer, post again http://www.healthhopeandinspiration.com/wp-content/uploads/resources/Cancer_Fighting_Recipes.pdf

• Bostoniangal25
    Options

Sundhine, yahoo!!! Hope your mom in law will keep you company!

I must say whoever goes through ACT regimen - most of them feel good or relatively better through first 4 cycles. And later experience fatigue and other SE.

Sundhine, Korean cosmetics is good , try creams but check the review of Korean creams and masks - many Americans love it and write review in English- we have Korean cosmetics here in US- but everything in Korean - I have no idea...

To boost red and white cells- red meat or beef liver - but I don’t think you eat meats, try Strawberries they have iron or ask doctor if iron supplements are for you!

Or beans ., green leafy veggies brocc

• NashS
    NashS Member Posts: 6
    Options

Hello Appyfan, thanks for the post!!! absolutely helpful. I stil don't have a date set up for the chemo, but for what I've heard my treatment will be agressive (infesions of TAC at once)...so I really don't know if it'll work...then again...success of 47.4% could include me...mixed feelings here.

I had a mastectomy on august 6th (left breast)

Wondering, any ladies out here already wearing a wig? Any tips?

Hugs!

• Bostoniangal25
    Options

I have s some goodies from tjmaxx store. Sunshine- try to buy staff with words-illuminating or glow, they have some light reflecting particles and make skin glow

I have Night glow serum - smells roses it has rose oil , and gold mask - it says Illuminating mask, night time cream with blueberries extract - .

But staff with glucolic acids or hialuronic acid- but use sunscreen if it sunny outside image

• Bostoniangal25
    Options

night glow serum ingredients are good , have alpha hydroxy acids and real rose oil image

• SarahNola
    SarahNola Member Posts: 45
    Options

hi ladies! don’t think I can catch up to all the threads..just starting to feel a little better after round 2.

Bluesky: as a New Orleanian way too familiar with storms I wanted to make sure you are ok?

• santabarbarian
    Options

Kwilli,

Yes, it's a gnarly one but I keep my mind on the fact that if we defeat it in this round, and stay clear for 3-5 years, we get to relax and be "done," whereas some 'pokier' cancers are better at going dormant and hiding out and are never left in the rearview.

I am on Taxotere and Carboplatin x 6. I have done 2. Then surgery, expected lumpectomy due to location of tumor being favorable, then radiation.

My tumor was 3.8 cm when diagnosed. I am stage 2B, based on the size of tumor and the assumed involvement of 2 lymph nodes - they were not biopsied, but could be seen lit up on my petscan. No other cancer in my body - that's good to know. I had a melanoma 20 years ago so I qualified for more body scanning I believe; still, I paid for my own chest petscan, since insurance felt the MRI and Mammo were plenty... but my surgeon and Onc both wanted a petscan for clinical reasons, so I did it.

Can you feel your tumor? Can you feel anything happening?

I can feel my tumor easily (maybe 1/3-1/2" under skin).... it is definitely shrinking, and I sometimes get a sort of fizzy feeling in my breast where the tumor is... not painful, more of an alka-seltzer-like mild 'burning' sensation. The first time I felt that, I thought to feel the lump... and it was definitely smaller. It is encouraging to feel the shrinkage but OTOH there can still be stray cells you have no idea about. My main concern is making my body and system inhospitable to recurrence through diet, lifestyle, and supplements.

I am told TNBC can have a very good response to chemo, as it is an active, fast-growing cancer, and the poison chemos target those actively dividing cells. I am doing my best to boost the results of chemo with a lot of complimentary practices... I posted about what I am doing on "Calling all TN's" thread. On that thread there are plenty of people 5-10 years out. :-)

• santabarbarian
    Options

Jbluesky

Please tell us you have left Myrtle Beach. Today is your last good day to leave. If you are too sick to deal with this there are still things you can do with just a phone call or two.

IF you have not left, here are my ideas:

1. Is there a hospital in a not to distant location that is safe (or simply safer than your house) that your doc could check you into, if you are feeling too unwell to deal with anything? Could you call your on call doc and ask advice of what to do to get to a safe place when feeling too crappy to handle it? I am certain there are still responders who can help you. Uber plus a doctor's orders are maybe all you need.

2. Can you call local FD or Police, and ask their advice, or at least alert them to your reality? There may be someone to come to you and help you. There may be a nice brick hospital or clinic within reach where you can likely be much safer.

Fighting disease is essentially valuing your life, and fighting to live. Please fight to live!