Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo Starting August 2018

Options

Comments

• cefinkc
    cefinkc Member Posts: 54
    Options

Yes, I dread the metal mouth again. Has anyone tried Metaqil yet? It’s new on the market.

• Bostoniangal25
    Bostoniangal25 Member Posts: 177
    Options

Maiyen, hughope 1 recommended Metaqil for metallic taste from chemo , from Amazon

All the girls, let’s stay positive ,although I don’t feel like I m ready for that stupid chemo brain fog after my Wednesday second cycle .

• SarahNola
    SarahNola Member Posts: 45
    Options

hi y’all! I may be late to this party...but curious if any of you are using CBD oil?

• Cindymb
    Cindymb Member Posts: 101
    Options

Do I need to be careful with bathroom use for the others in my home more than the first couple of days after infusion? (Double flushing, wiping tge seat with clorox wipes, etc)

Thanks

• Kelly-Anne
    Kelly-Anne Member Posts: 62
    Options

I had lunch with a pair of work friends today. Wasn’t sure how it would go, I’m not really that person any more...

They came with smiles on their faces. Some fun gossip I’ve been missing and an ask to see me again soon. They just accepted me. I couldn’t face the wig so they got my short shaggy cut. One noticed and said it was uplifting for my face. The other looked sheepish and said she didn’t notice, she thought I had my hair up in a clip behind.

Maybe I’ll just have to go out again soon. For now I need a nap - I’m zonked.

• Livlife
    Livlife Member Posts: 36
    Options

Bostogniangal - I was searching for anti metal taste and saw that on amazon. Are you using it now and does it works good?

Cindymb - the nurse in our treatment room said If you have extra restroom, try to use it exclusively for 2 days. Otherwise flush it twice with lid down to contain any waste and body fluid from us.

Kelly-Anne -social life is definitely good. I wlhad lunch with friends too today but could only have a few bite. The metal taste is real!
  • Cindymb
    Options

Livlife,

2 days was what I thought I had remembered.

Thank you

• SarahNola
    Options

Kelly Ann I had lunch today too with friends. It is just different. I guess we are different. I know it is important to keep doing social things but this is tough. It all is.

Hang in ladies...xoxo.

• Bostoniangal25
    Options

Livlife, tomorrow I m going for my second infusion of TC, so I didn’t develop that metallic taste yet, I shall see , I should probably ask the girls , I will ask my friend from this forum tomorrow and get back to you, not sure if she tried and we could ask other ladies from May or even April group!!!

• Sunshine89
    Sunshine89 Member Posts: 56
    Options

Bostoniangle25, All the best for your second infusion...keep us posted :)

• Molly316
    Molly316 Member Posts: 10
    Options

I haven’t really posted before, but I have read all of the posts from the August chemo strand. Thank you so much for posting as it helps to read what others are experiencing. I began my first chemo on August 3rd and had my second last Thursday August 23rd. The first round I felt as if I had the flu for a few days following chemo. This round has been difficult. I developed a rash on my bald head and neuropathy in my feet. I went in to see the doctor and was prescribed an antibiotic for the rash. It is very itchy and uncomfortable. If it doesn’t get better she will postpone chemo. I’m Struggling With bone pain, my doctor gave me pain pills, and I seem to be more emotional. I will continue to find the strength and get through this. I wish all of you the best.
  • Hughope1
    Hughope1 Member Posts: 116
    Options

Hello Girls,

I have been much better after the second treatment on the 24th at managing the side effects. Hydration on the 27th helped. And was able to work all day yesterday. But the dreaded Big D started last night and feeling a little Nausea today. I just cannot seem to stay hydrated on my own. But I'm back at work right now trying to keep a little cereal down. I cannot believe I have 4 more of these nightmares to go through. Some days I don't think I can do it, but thanks to all the support from you brave women on this site it makes me keep on. Where are you getting your cbd oil, maybe I need to try it? I am still down 12 pounds for the two sessions. Don't know how long this can go on, and still have enough strength for surgery.

Take care and advise is welcomed. Hughope1

• Hughope1
    Hughope1 Member Posts: 116
    Options

Here are some ways to fight back against the metal taste in your mouth.
    1. Try eating foods that are more on the spicy side. The enhanced spices may kick start your taste buds. But be careful of too much spices, if you are on radiation or have sores in your mouth too much spice may burn.
    2. Use plastic eating utensils, and when drinking a canned drink, pour it into a glass this tends to help with the metal taste.
    3. Cold or frozen foods often taste better to those going through treatment. Unless your receiving oxaliplatin (Eloxatin]), which makes it difficult to ingest anything cold.
    4. Many people swear by sucking on hard candy like lemon drops or citrus fruits.
    5. Acidic things sometimes work...lemon or crystal light in water...ketchup or BBQ sauce on meat...minestrone, one person says to put pickles on everything as it will neutralize the metallic taste.
    6. Marinate meats in fruit juices, sweet wines, salad dressings, or other sauces.
    7. Do not eat one to two hours before and up to three hours after chemotherapy to prevent food aversions caused by nausea and vomiting. In addition, avoiding favorite foods before chemotherapy helps prevent aversions to those foods. Your favorite foods may become your least favorite if you try to eat them during treatment and have a bad experience.
    8. Rinsing with baking soda and salt mixture 50/50 before eating may help neutralize the bad tastes, and as a bonus it helps to heal those sores in the mouth.
    9. If the smell is bothering you, use your exhaust fan to remove the cooking odors or cook outside. Or you can buy precooked foods or eat room temperature foods so you don't smell it cooking.
    10. Try other protein sources (such as poultry, eggs, fish, peanut butter, beans, or dairy products) if red meats don't taste good.
    11. Ice cream, milkshakes, sundaes and other extreme sweet foods help many. Sometimes it takes a strong flavor punch to get the taste across.
    12. And lastly it may seem simple but try to eat the foods that smell good and taste good. Try some foods that you may not regularly eat, they may taste good to you.

• cefinkc
    Options

You rock, HugHope -- I couldn't even imagine going to work on day 5 after my first infusion. Maybe I'll get lucky after my second infusion next Wednesday and bounce back quicker. Thank you for the tips above. I also just sent off for Metaqil -- hoping it will help with the metal taste. Does sucking on ice during infusion help at all with reducing the metal taste that comes a day or two later?

Welcome Molly316! I'm so sorry for your rash!!! I'm having my hair shaved tomorrow and will look out for that. I lost 4 lbs over my first session. Maybe I need to take HugHope's advice and opt for the ice cream! The only bad thing is when the Big D hits -- no dairy is recommended. Sigh ..

Carol

• klwilliams22
    klwilliams22 Member Posts: 6
    Options

Hello all!! Hope you are all doing well! I have previously posted on the other August 2018 chemo page, but I think everyone moved over here. I go for treatment #2 tomorrow and today, my hair is coming out like crazy. Trying to hang on to it until I get home from work and then I plan on having the hubby shave my head. I went back to work full time last week following my DIEP surgery—should’ve gone into that a little slower but I think I’ve recovered enough now. What a crazy ride we are on, but I keep telling myself- this is temporary!!

• Cindymb
    Options

Please tell me this flu-like feeling will only last for a few days and not the entire 3 weeks. ☹

• WC3
    WC3 Member Posts: 658
    Options

Kelly-Anne:

I hope your reply was "That would be great. What are you making?"

I don't have anyone to cook for but myself but I've subsisted partially on hot food, salad and soup bars during all of this. I would rather buy something and find out I can't eat it than stand there feeling fatigued cooking for 45 minutes only to discover I can't eat it.

• Appyfan
    Appyfan Member Posts: 55
    Options

Cindymb, it did only last a few days for me. Try to drink water. I also took Airborne during those days. I only had one where I was super wiped out,had chills and barely got off the couch. My 2nd infusion is tomorrow-I felt pretty good this week. Hang in there, it will get better.

• Bostoniangal25
    Options

hi girls,

Sunshine I m day 1 after 2 -nd Chemo , start shedding hair a bit , hope I won’t be bald with cold caps though , I hate to have chemo brain again - it’s likd losing my sanity..

Hughope, Thsnks for your generous share of good advice about metallic taste !!! Have to keep in mind!!

• Sunshine89
    Options

Oh Bostoniangle25 i am so sorry you are dealing chemo brain again. We should find a solution of that creepy feelings. My second infusion is on 7th sep. Its been 2 weeks since my first chemo still have my hairs...i think they will come out in a day or two :(

Please let me know if you find any solution of that dizziness. Do you use any supplements during treatment...My MO didnt prescriped any...i was wondering if we should use any to feel little bit better in terms of fatigue :

• SarahNola
    Options

sunshine! we are on the same schedule. I get my second infusion on 9/7 too. I am feeling so good now I can’t stand the thought of going back.

• Kelly-Anne
    Kelly-Anne Member Posts: 62
    Options

My hair is coming out by the handful. My scalp hurts. I wasn’t going to cry... can’t seem to stop.

Does Ice CreAm fix sad

• Livlife
    Livlife Member Posts: 36
    Options

Kelly-Anne - mine started coming off exactly 14 days after first chemo. Then I thought I could keep it for a while, but seeing my long hair everywhere I’m clumps (pillowcase, beddings, floor) make me feel so sad too so I decided to shave it that weekend. I’m not saying you shave it, just my personal experience. Now I just wear a wig when I’m outside.

But cheer up, it’s temporary. And icecream plus cake would be a good fix!
  • SarahNola
    Options

mine just started coming out in clumps today. I too was sure I wasn’t going to cry but I can’t stop either.

• cefinkc
    Options

I shaved mine yesterday. I couldn’t stand the hair falling down my back and on my face. Gave me the heebie jeebies. It feels weird now, but better all at the same time — like I’ve leapt over another hurdle towards the finish line. Even though that is months from now. I know it’s hard.

• Sunshine89
    Options

sarahNola same here i am feeling completely normal and enjoying my days...really dont want to go on friday...but on friday 25% of my infusions will be done ✅ sooo its a good thing... and in your case 35% done woww

• Sunshine89
    Options

i am not even touching my hairs :o i am day 15 today... i think if i will touch them they will wall out...not washing hairs from last 2 days...I think i will keep them one more week :

• keepmovin
    keepmovin Member Posts: 24
    Options

My third infusion was yesterday so 25% done! My hair started falling out big time on Wednesday so used a lot of hair spray to get through the next two days of work! 😝 Today we pulled out the clippers and my DH did the honors. It’s just easier having shorter pieces falling out than long ones. Going to the wig stylist today I hope. Stomach not good today. I hope everyone else is doing ok today. Thanks to those who share their stories and for those who read them. Somehow it’s a big comfort

• KWilli
    KWilli Member Posts: 94
    Options

My hair started falling out in big clumps, day 14. Next day I took a shower, what a mistake. Most of my hair came out. My kids and my husband shaved what was left. It’s an incredibly powerless feeling. My scalp is tingly and hurts. I hate that I LOOK like I have cancer now. It’s so visual for my kids and husband.

My tongue and lips are numb, I feel like I’m on the cusp between drunk and hungover. It’s like all the crap with none of the fun.

1/2 way through the double dose AC.

• luvBngGma
    luvBngGma Member Posts: 32
    Options

I am starting chemo on 9/6, but wanted input from you who gave just been thru it. Should I ge icing hands and feet during Taxotere, or the FEC treatments, or both