Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo October 2018

Options

Comments

• Ccaxt
    Ccaxt Member Posts: 60
    Options

I start TX Friday. Ugh. Had my labs, chemoteach (still makes me laugh to say it) and met with doc afterwards. Went over all my scans, everything is great. Hubby said "well, aside from this BC crap, your in perfect health!" Haha At one point got super excited cause looked like my TX was shortened by 6 weeks. Turned out it was a mistake. DAMN IT! Shouldn't have said anything. Lol My doc is really good with me. I told him I thought my tumor had grown...he said "u were just here a week ago, but I'm gonna measure because I know if I dont youll freak out". He measured, still the same :) It was a little reassuring for him to say something along the lines of were gonna do the whole TX (chemo) as long as you can handle it. Stupid, but made me feel a little better to know if I ABSOLUTELY couldnt take it anymore, he would be ok with it. Got fitted for my dignicap. Had NO idea it would be painful. (Not the fitting but the actual process during chemo) Was offered a morphine drip, if I needed it. Then followed up with "well out of 100 people only 3 couldnt handle it". My response "well no kidding, if they had morphine!" Lol

Got a bag full of meds to pick up from pharmacy. Hopeful I dont need them, but probably will be glad to have them. Doc did tell me AGAIN that for, whatever reason, people who have a history of smoking and drinking seem to have less side affects. I told him that I should be golden then. Haha

Honestly, I'm trying to make humor of this where I can. I hope I dont offend anyone on here :( I'm guessing I will be the first to start these shenanigans in this group so hoping I can pave the way for positivity? I'm sure I'll have my down days but feel like we're ALL gonna make it through the ups and downs like many b4 us! I do have a huge support system which is great. My sis flew out here monday and has "taken over" with getting all the stuff I need (told ya sadly new! Haha). I do feel bad for people who have to do this solo. I couldnt imagine. And, on that note, if there is anyone on this thread who is in that situation...please reach out! NOBODY should have to do this alone!

• Shellby123
    Shellby123 Member Posts: 16
    Options

As much as in hate the thought of starting chemo at least i have a place where ladies, (assuming your all ladies) who are going thru the same thing. It is so scary for me!!I broke down and cried just going to an info appt on getting my port in. Then it didn't even happened since my primary forgot to get the referral to go to them@i normally am a very positive, light person but this has thrown me for a loop. What is a Dignicap? And why is getting chemo painful besides the side effects?

• Notgivingup
    Notgivingup Member Posts: 143
    Options

Hi all. I started chemotherapy to so I decided to join the group being that it is almost October. It has been a big blur the last couple of weeks. I will be getting chemotherapy for 4 rounds with the possibility of 6 rounds. Today wasn't bad, just fear of the unknown. I am 1 round closer to being done.

I look forward to going on this journey with all of you. Stay positive.

• Ccaxt
    Options

So the dignicap is a contraption they put on your head to try and save the hair. But it basically freezes your head. Can be painful from what I was told. Not the chemo. Sorry, didn't mean to freak you out! I went in for my 1st chemo this a.m. Had my bag of all of my "stuff" with hubby and sister in tow. Had a dentist appt yesterday and found out I had an abcessed tooth. So, was all ready to go, nervous as hell...didnt sleep a wink last night, and doc says no. Gotta have tooth extracted 1st and wait a week to start. Ugh!

It's all scary shelby, but it does seem to get better once some of the unknowns get answered. When do you start chemo?

• Sadlynew2018
    Sadlynew2018 Member Posts: 173
    Options

cc - I think the humor is so refreshing. Sometimes humor is all we have and often times, that’s exactly what is needed :-) so happy for this group. I read a post from you in the sept forum maybe? Did tx get postponed?!?!?

Shelby - yes, I’m so very scared. I actually get my port Tuesday and start treatment the following Tuesday. I’m trying to gather all the SE details. I’ve said before that it feels like preparing for a tornado and you know shelter is limited. Tornado being the chemo. I wish I could have started already. I, too, love that we have each other to get through this with.

Not giving up - glad you found this group but sorry we are all here. That’s great to have one under your belt. Countdowns seem key to this process. For sure.

Happy Friday everyone!
  • Ccaxt
    Options

sadlynew... YES..GOT POSTPONED. And, not only did I get one pulled but 6! (Before all this happened I was gearing up for full upper implant but then got dx so put it in hold!) I just figured, it's got to be done eventually and didnt want to worry about any infection during tx. It's not that bad actually. Just cleaned the house and getting ready to go do something "fun".

Notgivingup...hope your doing well today!

• Notgivingup
    Options

I am doing good today. Currently getting the neulasta injection from the on body injector. Went shopping today with hubby. Then we had our grandson over to decorate cupcakes. I am getting tired. I have been drinking water constantly and eating small meals throughout the day.

• Justkeepmoving
    Justkeepmoving Member Posts: 57
    Options

Greetings ladies :)

Introducing myself here. Oncologist told me that I'm getting chemo (she mentioned taxol) but I have no information yet and it's driving me nuts!

How soon after your diagnosis did you get the plan? Apparently my breast surgeon didn't realize that my microinvasion would get treated (I was suprised but when I heard all clear I ran with it) and so this has been a little bit of a shock but I actually feel relieved. I felt uneasy just leaving it up to hope that no nasties got released into my body. Fingers crossed these treatments will keep up from ever having to deal with cancer again (hugs to those dealing with a recurrence this time around).

Here is to an uneventful start for everyone beginning chemo this month - one day at a time

Xoxoxo

• Sadlynew2018
    Options

not giving....so glad to hear you are doing well today! Hope things continue to go well for you with little (or no) SEs! Keep us posted!

Just keep.... welcome! For a plan, it seemed to be little by little. I was diagnosed on 8/9 and double mx on 8/28. After the final path on that, got a plan from the med onc. Had to heal from the double mx. I start AC and T on 10/9. So, 2 months from the date of diagnoses I will have treatment. They seem to move fast. Do you know when you start?

Get my port Tuesday. Nervous as can be. :-(

I’m so glad we all found this place where we can get through this together.
  • Fritzmylove
    Fritzmylove Member Posts: 262
    Options

Joining in. This whole process has gone so quickly that I don’t feel like I’ve even had time to breathe, let alone process everything that’s happened since my diagnosis. I start chemo exactly 2 weeks after going in for a mammogram and ultrasound to check out a lump and odd discharge from my breast. I guess it’s great that everything moved so quickly because I don’t know that I could deal with any additional waiting.

I’m 34. Married with 2 kids ages 6 and 3. Monday the 1st will be my first treatment of 6. Trying to scramble and figure out if I want to shave my head before my hair begins to come out, and find head coverings I’ll feel comfortable in.

I had my port placed yesterday and other than a little soreness, it feels good. My oncologist and breast surgeon both told me they’re hitting me hard with chemo because I’m so young and healthy. Let’s pray it knocks it all out

• Justkeepmoving
    Options

Fritzmylove

When I'm feeling anxious and overwhelmed I slow down and think "one day at a time" and suprisingly this really helps me. Just get through today. Think logically for today's decision - don't think to the future. Just think about today.

You & your docs are aggressively treating you and you have taken the right steps to get you past this situation.Just breath. Enjoy today. The wheels are already in motion. You are being taken care of. One day at a time 💕

• BT39
    BT39 Member Posts: 24
    Options

I am starting TC x4 on Oct. 3. I'm 39 and mom to a toddler. I didn't except to be starting chemotherapy but my Oncotype came back high. In any case, here I am! Good luck to everyone starting this month.

• Notgivingup
    Options

Good evening all. Just wanted to let you all know how things are going today. Went for a 15 minute walk with hubby this morning, went to farm stand, grocery shopped a little at the supermarket, took a nap. After my nap I canned some spinach and pickles. Now I am tired. Happy to still be feeling well.

Good luck to those who are starting chemotherapy this week. I hope you have little to no SE.

• Shellby123
    Options

well tomorrow I go for my 2nd opinion. I was just shocked that I have to do 16 rounds of chemo. Holy krapers!!I had 3 tumors with the largest being 1.5 mm for a total of 2.1 which thru me into stage 11. I don't know I just want to make sure I need that much or are they going over board. I need it forrace of mind.

• Sadlynew2018
    Options
    Shelby - I completely understand that feeling. Peace of mind if everything. I also go for my second opinion tomorrow. (I’m scheduled for 16 rounds as well). I feel confident about my proposed treatment for my set of circumstances but want their input on certain questions. Having a second set of eyes on anything is priceless. I wish you the best tomorrow and hope all goes well. Keep us posted.
  • Sadlynew2018
    Options

BT - I’ll be 6 days behind you on the same plan. Those oncotype scores can sneak up on you. I hope all goes well for you this week and for your first treatment. Please do come back and tell us how it goes.

Not giving up - how great re going for a walk and being active. Good for you. I’ve heard that staying active (when possible of course) is helpful especially for state of mind.

• Shellby123
    Options

hi all tomorrow I go for my second opinion. I was diagnosed with a 2.1 mm tumor that threw me into Stage 2 but I really have three tumors with the largest being 1.5 so I was wondering why they combine them to put me in stage 2. Yes I'm aware it's probably a put off tactic but in the end I suppose it will make me feel better that a second doctor agreed that I need chemo. I I'm super nervous about it should have an appointment this week regarding port and will probably get it in maybe next week or week after will start chemo. How did we get here lady I am still shocked at the fact that I have to go through this!! I know when it's all said and done it will changed me I used to look at life through Rose Colored Glasses not too much anymore. BOOHOO. My kids are pretty resilient they were pretty sad though when I told them I'd lose my hair with the chemo. Thank goodness we have this board so we can go through it together I keep you posted and how the second opinion agreed with my doctor LOL

• Shellby123
    Options

also I'm wondering how many of you are still working full-time while going through this? I have to work almost full-time since I'm almost out of my FMLA since my double mastectomy. I ended up contacting skin necrosis and had to get a second surgery 3 weeks after my first one to have all the dead skin removed it was a horrible ordeal and it ate through all of my time

• Shellby123
    Options

also I normally don't blog that much so that's as well new to me I see that I posted a couple of times but I didn't realize it actually posted LOL

• Justkeepmoving
    Options

Hi Shelby

I don't know your pathology report but I took a photo of the NCCN guidelines for treatment and for ER/PR +, HER2 + (just taking a random guess of your pathology --- this is for my pathology) if you have 2.1mm of invasion you do need to get treated. What did your pathology say? ER/PR negative or positive? HER2 negative or positive?

I also took a photo of the footnotes

My pathology came back MICROINVASION which was only 1 mm of invasion and according to this guideline I require treatment as well. I STILL don't have a plan and my oncologist says she hopes to get back to me this week 😳. I just want to know what's going on... And yes, she is likely trying to put together a careful plan for me but this has been going on for weeks and not knowing is difficult for me.

I'm working full time and have been since 4 weeks post op bilateral mastectomy with DIEP flap. Don't even get me started regarding trying to get sick time off from work. So aggravating. Ok - done complaining and being negative (for now -- haha!)

• Justkeepmoving
    Options

.... Sorry - also wanted to say there are other factors like other types of cell descriptions (besides hormone status and HER2 expression) and other factors that increase or decrease your risk of recurrence.... So it's complicated.

I'm seeking out a second opinion as well just to ensure everything is getting covered.

Hope this helps xoxox

• Notgivingup
    Options

So today I walked for 30 minutes very slowly (just shy of a mile). So far only some aches in the bones. My taste buds need to come back. Finding food that's appealing is interesting. I did find I could still somewhat taste an oreo.

I finished up some canning of spinach that needed to be done. It took longer then before, but still got it done. I also took a nap this morning.

I hope you all are doing well!

• Shellby123
    Options

Hi all,

I had a great day at my second opinion! He showed me a study out of the New England Journal of Medicine that was compared to the tailor RX study I'll take a picture of it. But in the end he said you're 49 which in four months you'll be 50 you're perimenopausal and my tumor is invasive mixed with dcis so they can't say the whole tumor is 2.1 but they can't separate it and know how much is, so they put it all together and made me stage 11. In the end he said there's an argument for you not having chemotherapy I don't know how much it would help you but the other oncologist is following regular protocol which this doctor or oncologist at this practice does more of a customized approach.

He would give me C-T, 4 rounds equal 12 weeks, 3 weeks apart.

First oncologist would give me Ac-T with four rounds, given every other week and C every week for 12=16 weeks.

I was super excited to talk to this oncologist it was just nice to hear more of a decision being left up to me then the oncologist I was dealing with before was more like saying You must. I'm hoping I can take a picture of this and upload it to you Lafies if I can't you still need to pull it if you are proge this study for Estrogen and Progesterone positive only and not in my nodes and the tumor was diagnosed at 2.1 but really it was three tumors one being 1.5 in the other two equaling .6 mm. This study this doctor printed off and gave to me included a lot of different lady and it was published in the New England Journal of Medicine Guided by a 21 gene expression

Can't wait to hear from you ladies

• Shellby123
    Options

great job staying active, I heard it really helps!

• Shellby123
    Options

2nd Opinions are a must and can be done at anytime during treatment:)!

• Shellby123
    Options

2nd Opinions are a must and can be done at anytime during treatment:)!

• Shellby123
    Options

also thank you so much for the. This stuff is complicated, I have alot more of this article but please try and read this

• Shellby123
    Options

I think you and I have very similar BC Not giving g up?

• Shellby123
    Options

I know I'm going crazy posting a lot and I'm sorry but can you ladies see my diagnosis and treatment plan I can't seem to post mine like I can see yours? Besides having breast cancer I probably have ADHD and no tolerance for typing texting lol so bear with me I'm a lot of funHappy

• Shellby123
    Options