Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo October 2018

Options

Comments

• Sadlynew2018
    Sadlynew2018 Member Posts: 173
    Options

JS - ugh, I can’t imagine how frustrated you must be. Here you are, wanting to do battle with the c, and there’s a hurdle. It sounds like you are in good hands. Will send good vibes your way and hopefully, you can get started soon.
  • Newfromny
    Newfromny Member Posts: 108
    Options

I know how you are feeling, I see the cardiologist today, PET scan Thursday, then chemo will start. I’m an emotional mess but ready to start fighting this

• Notgivingup
    Notgivingup Member Posts: 143
    Options

Good morning! Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I'm getting ready for my second treatment on Thursday. I'm so glad I buzzed my hair last week. I have about half of my hair left on my head if that much. Oh well.

I am sending positive vibes to all of you.

• joules44
    joules44 Member Posts: 52
    Options

y'all I'm about to get my first chemo treatment. Sitting it the little private room waiting. I'm nervous about so many aspects of this first round. I'll let you know how it goes. Still sore from yesterday's port placement. :(

• Sadlynew2018
    Options

newfromny: welcome! Emotional messiness is expected. And continues. Ugh. But this group has been such a positive outlet for me. I hope you find it helps you as well. Sending good vibes to you for your upcoming testing.

Not giving up: hello! Sounds like buzzing the hair was the right decision. I’m a few days behind you. Today is day 8 post first AC for me. I was planning having it buzzed Friday. But part of me wants to see just the start of the process so I know it’s working. I’m weird like that. Did you find that buzzing it yourself was more helpful mentally? Part of me thinks it may be? If that’s the case, I may do it this weekend at first signs if shedding. Sending you good vibes for your second treatment Thursday. How have your SEs been this week leading up it?
  • Fritzmylove
    Fritzmylove Member Posts: 262
    Options

Notgivingup and others who have begun losing hair, how have you been dealing with your hair coming out? Like the logistics of it? I buzzed my hair on Sunday and it’s just barely starting to come out today. Like, do I shave my head? Let it fall out naturally? How long until it’s all gone? So many questions

• Notgivingup
    Options

Sadly- I haven't had any se this week. I am actually having a really good week. My treatments are every 21 days so I get a good break in between.

I did find buzzing it myself was mentally helpful. I can at least control my hair loss on my terms. That is why I buzzed it when I did. I was shedding moderately and I didn't want to wait for clumps to come out.

• annie60
    annie60 Member Posts: 295
    Options

Port placement will be Thursday. I have a year of treatments and there is no way my veins will hold up. I hope this will not be bad. Next Thursday will be the echo. Maybe after all this, I can get started on treatments. This process takes way too much time.

• Notgivingup
    Options

Fritz- I buzzed my hair to 1/4 inch. Now I'm letting it come out. My hair is half out now. Today is day 18 for me.

Annie60- yes the process can seem long, but once you get going, you will realize it really wasn't that long. Sending you positive vibes.

• Each_day_2018
    Each_day_2018 Member Posts: 66
    Options

Had my first treatment last Thursday. Was sick as a dog from Thursday night on. Went back to clinic yesterday for fluids and IV meds for nausea. Today, I am still a bit queasy, but a million times better.

My head is a little sensitive, so i wonder if the hair will fall out soon. I had already cut my hair super short a couple weeks ago, just waiting to cut the rest off!

I'll have 3 more treatments of AC and 12 treatments of taxol after that. I have no desire to continue these treatments...My next treatment isn't until 11/1 and I'm already dreading it.

• Sadlynew2018
    Options

each day - hang in there. My SEs were so similar to yours. I was terribly sick the first few days. Then around day 5, I started to feel better. Still some overriding nausea but it does start to improve. I cried and cried during my SEs. It brings you to such a low point. It does get better. I, too, am dreading my next appointment (next wednesday). I'm on the same regimen as you as well. We will get through this. Just one day at a time.

• JS0404
    JS0404 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Fritzmylove A lot of people recommended University of Chicago. Right now I’m going to Franciscan in Olympia Fields. It’s a smaller hospital, but my doctors also work through UIC. Good news though...I talked to my MO today and I was able to get an appointment to see the cardiologist this afternoon. He said that the cardiomyopathy appears to be very minor, but they just need to get the cardiologist’s approval before I start chemo. I wouldn’t say that I’m “excited” to start, but it would take a huge weight off my shoulders to know that progress is being made. Up until this point it’s been like getting to the top of the big drop on a rollercoaster and the ride gets stuck lol.

I shaved my head two days ago and I’ve got a great wig. My hair was already pretty short, so it’s not a huge adjustment. Oddly, shaving my head has been the easiest part of this journey so far...even though I feel like Uncle Fester lol

I really hope I get a decent report from the cardiologist 😬
  • Ccaxt
    Ccaxt Member Posts: 60
    Options

soooooo...still havent shaved my head. Why...cuz I had a dream that I went to doctor and they switched my treatment and I shaved it for nothing. Lol. 2nd treatment on Friday and dreading it! Definitely shedding but not as bad as I thought I'd be. Figure I'll do it this wknd? Woke up sundaybwitg a sore throat. Had to see that horrible NP I didnt like. She did rapid strep test and said she'd call me with results yesterday, still no word. It's a little better today so hoping no big deal. Feel totally normal this week. Hope the same trend from last treatment continues and I have minimal side effects!

Our group is growing! Sucks!!! But so glad we have eachother!!

• Each_day_2018
    Each_day_2018 Member Posts: 66
    Options

Sadlynew - That gives me so much hope that the SE will get better soon. I too cried over the weekend, the SE were so bad! I told my husband I don't if I can finish this. It sucks so much!

I do feel better than I did yesterday, so I guess that has to count for something!

• Sadlynew2018
    Options

cc - you crack me up. I haven’t shaved mine either. You are 4 days ahead of me. So I will be right there with you or close behind. But I am avoiding it for as long as I can. I, too, feel good this week. Good luck Friday if I don’t talk to you before then!

Each day - it truly does get better. I had bad jitters combined with nausea and felt like I was crawling out of my skin. I was finally able to munch on crackers and from there, things started to improve. I’m hoping that time for you is sooner than later. I think I remember an earlier post from you that you were HER2 equivocal? I was too at first. Hang in there. Get lots of rest and stay hydrated the best you can.

So I started a new series on tv because what else better to do with a cancer diagnosis? I kid. But it’s really good for anyone looking for a new series. It’s called Ray Donovan on Showtime. Does anyone have any other good suggestions for new series to get into? Netflix? Always looking to add.

Sending good vibes to all! Hugs to those enduring SE.
  • annie60
    annie60 Member Posts: 295
    Options

We are watching Lost In Space, The West Wing and The British Baking Championship on Netflix. My husband liked Godless also on Netflix.

• Fritzmylove
    Options

This PET scan drama will never end. I just got a call from my MO and now after discussing my images with a few other radiologists, he is 90% sure what they see on my spine is not cancer. But what about that 10%!? He says I can have an MRI done, but that may not provide a difinitive answer either. I am really struggling here.

• joules44
    Options

Fritzmylove, what other options are available to you besides the MRI? Would it be possible to play a wait and see with it? MRIs pick up everything! I had to have one on my left breast that resulted in me having to have a biopsy only to find out it was folded over fatty tissue. But... I'm glad they test and retest to be certain.

SadlyNew2018, have you watched The C Word on Netlix? It's a documentary on how our lifestyle contributes/prevents cancer. It's based on the work of Dr. David Servan-Schreiber, who wrote Anti-Cancer A New Way of Life. Excellent book and doc.

Well I had my first round of Taxol/Herceptin today. I was there from 8:15 to 3:00. Long day but no side effects while I was there so that was a big relief. I just had my port placed yesterday so the removal of the needle from my port following treatment was really the only pain I experienced (outside of boredom). Winking Gonna see how I feel as the day and week progresses. Sending my love to all of y'all!

• JS0404
    Options

I’m starting to feel like I may never start chemo. I saw the cardiologist yesterday and he gave the green light for me to start chemo today. I had my chemo bag ready, got my blood work done...everything was going well...until I saw my MO. He cancelled my chemo today because I need another MRI for a spot on my liver, even though they’re 90% positive it’s just a cluster of blood vessels. I had a bit of a melt down. This is so depressing. Has anyone else experienced these types of delays?
  • joules44
    Options

I just had my first Taxol infusion yesterday and today my face is red and feels hot, like you get sometimes from drinking wine. Has anyone else experienced this?

• joules44
    Options

JS0404, I was diagnosed on March 30 and didn't start chemo until October 16th! It was an unbelievable delay with myriad tests and retests, biopsies, surgeries, and new pathology findings. It was so frustrating. I totally feel your disappointment. My rational mind knows that we're lucky that there are so many ways to test and that our doctors are thorough. My emotions, however, are stretched thin and I'm ready to finally get into treatment. Hopefully, you'll be there soon.

• Ccaxt
    Ccaxt Member Posts: 60
    Options

JSO....that stinks. Mine got delayed a week due to dental issues.

Joules...did you have steroids? That was my BIGGEST complaint. Red hot face. I kept taking my temp. I too compared it to sometimes drinking alcohol. Lol Then thought, am I having a hot flash??? Already??? I was told the next day, you can get flushed from the steroids. Totally annoying but at least I knew what was causing it. I quit steroids a day early (I had some in iv and some prescribed for home). Within 24 hours, it stopped. Hope that's the case for you :)

• Newfromny
    Newfromny Member Posts: 108
    Options

I’m still in the testing stage like you, cardiologist yesterday , PET scan tomorrow, don’t have a definite date yet to start chemo, the waiting is excruciating

• JS0404
    Options

Joules- That’s how I feel. I know that it’s good that they’re checking. Everyday I seem to get more bad news. In the beginning I felt pretty optimistic. I’m starting to dread seeing the hospital’s name on my caller ID. Im getting emotionally drained and I haven’t even started treatment yet.
  • Fritzmylove
    Options

Today I went to talk to my MO about my PET worries, which he did his best to explain everything in a way that would reassure me, which he did for the most part. But while I was there he examined my breast, and he said my tumor has shrunk by at least 20% after one chemo (I’m doing surgeryafter chemo) so we know the chemo is doing something!

• Sadlynew2018
    Options

fritz - that is amazing!!! Wow! What a silver lining to this crummy treatment. Congrats on the great news.

Hope everyone is feeling ok today. I’m trying to enjoy the next several days before #2 and also, waiting for the big shedding. (I’m day 9). Got my clippers ready.

• Notgivingup
    Options

Good evening fellow warriors!

I hope everyone is doing well today. I'm sitting on my couch getting ready for chemo round #2 tomorrow. It will be along day. I have an appointment with my surgeon, then I have chemo, meeting with a social worker(still trying to figure out why), and then meeting with my MO.

• RhosgobelRabbit
    RhosgobelRabbit Member Posts: 502
    Options

day 8 after AC infusion #2, taking a little longer to get outta the funk as it were. Tired, had alittle trouble sleeping but good news is my blood counts didn’t tank like they did the first time. Hope everyone is doing well. This guinea pig is worn out. Half way through, next (3rd infusion) is October 25th. Let’s keep marching warriors!!

• Fritzmylove
    Options

Good luck today notgivingup!

Rabbit, good news about your blood counts! Let’s hope that keeps up!

We are going to conquer this beast!!

• Sadlynew2018
    Options

hello Warriors! Hope everyone is doing good today! Just wanted to share two things I’ve done in the last 24 hours that have scared the crap out of me but also motivated me in such an incredible way. Especially with regard to Bc

The documentary the “c” word. Has anyone seen it? It makes so much sense and I feel so empowered after watching it. Anything that can help motivate us during this terrible battle I guess works, right?

I downloaded an app called Think Dirty. Holy shit. I think I threw out half of my bathroom after using it to scan things.