Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo October 2018

Options

Comments

• RhosgobelRabbit
    RhosgobelRabbit Member Posts: 502
    Options

not giving up- u inspire me and have inspired me tonight. You go with your bad ass self.

Patrice- that’s a great idea about chemo playlist, glad to have helped inspire song #1 lol, hey humor kills cancer cells too right?

Ccaxt- your post cracked me up, I wanted to ask all those questions myself but having several fellow warriors quickly saddling up in the chairs nearby me I didn’t want to be delay others, she read my eyes tho. “Don’t worry it’s just saline”. My eyes must have been huge when she said that.

What a great group of ladies, I’m honored and humbled by the strength I see here. Cancer picked the wrong foe, we got this warriors.

• PatriceL
    PatriceL Member Posts: 58
    Options

just checking in on those who had treatment this week -

Hope you all are feeling well and taking good care of yourselves, sending good vibes to my fellow fighters. ✊

• Ccaxt
    Ccaxt Member Posts: 60
    Options

Ok, well last night was interesting. Woke up at 2 to have to go pee. Normally, I'd just make myself go back to bed and hold it. BUT, was told not to do that cause of possible infection so I guess I'm back to being 9 months pregnant. (I've been drinking a TON of water). Ok, so...back to bed. Ugh...425...gotta pee again. Pee...back to bed, but now I'm awake and super in my head!

Am I getting a headache? Do I have nausea? I really need to send my taxes in! Maybe I should wake up hubby for some fun before I look like a 12 year old boy. Wait...what if that makes me get a UTI! Ok, I'll wake him up, do our thing, take a quick shower then run down and drink some cranberry juice! So I roll over and start to rub his back as he proceeds to snore and pass gas. AWESOME! Guess I'll just proceed downstairs to finish my taxes. Tmi??? Lol

Day 2...feel ok. Little headache and heartburn. Oh, and my face is red and flushed. Is this a hot flash? On day 2??? Went wig shopping with my girlfriend. I'll try and attach pics. Found a cute baseball cap with wig attached and got some scarf wrap type things?

Headed to get my nuelsta (sp?) shot. Prying for no bone pain...ugh. I'm sure I'll manage to drum up some side effects in my head. Lol

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!image

• PatriceL
    PatriceL Member Posts: 58
    Options

Ccaxt - so good to hear you are doing so well!

Honestly, your night sounds like an average evening for me, up in the wee wee hours (pun intended) and way in my head. And listening to husband noises...

Loving the hat on you. Still haven't decided if I'm gonna go that route or attempt the scarf thingies. I have a fear of walking around with the wig all crooked and crazy looking or forgetting it's on, trying to scratch my head and flipping it backwards off my head. don't know what would be worse - looking like a cancer patient or looking like a mental patient.

Curious to hear how the nulasta treats you. Did you take any claritin beforehand to ward off bone pain? Also, about how long did the treatment take? Did you feel ok during and after on that day? I kinda want to drive myself but don't know if that's possible.

Your success with few se's gives me a bit of courage, thanks for sharing!

• Ccaxt
    Options

Patrice....

I'm all about information and timelines when I go in. Talked to a nurse for about 30 minutes before I got my shot. I asked...how long before I know if I'm gonna have an allergic reaction. Answer...u wont but, within 24 hours. Ok, worse case scenario and I have excruciating bone pain, how long will that last? Answer...3-4 days BUT TAKE CLARITON AND YOU WONT. Ok, I got childrens claritan, will that work. (I never take meds so the less I have to take, the happier I am) Answer, nope gotta take ADULT dose. S@#$!! Ok! Now, am I having hot flashes, why is my face on fire??? Answer, that's from the steroids. Totally normal, just getting flushed. But you need to stay on them for 2 more days. Wth??? Um, how much hotter is my face gonna get??? Lol She told me itll be off and on but not any worse. And, it hasn't been. I also brought in my thermometer to compare with theirs, it was a match which made me feel better :) Oh, and I dont have a port so I had her check my vein and she said it looked great so that was reassuring:) Shot wasnt bad, claritan wasnt bad so pretty much all the same. I'm just gonna plan on feeling like crap til Tuesday or Wednesday? Oh, she also said...any more questions. I (jokingly) said...ya, when can I have a beeeeeer? Answer, you need to wait at least another 48 hours to get all of this put of your system and give your liver a break. Lol. Ya dont plan on having a beer in 2 days but good to know! Haha

As far as driving myself. I, in real life, have severe anxiety. Dont drive, fly, stay home alone. Kinda sucks! So for me, NO WAY I would go alone! Lol But I just asked my hubby and said "hey babe, if I was normal, would I have been able to drive home from chemo?" He said, oh ya. So...I would say yes. But, do you really want to go your first time alone? I did see other people there alone quite content but not sure if it was their 1st time. What is your regimen. So, with my premeds and chemo it was about 2 hrs 15 minutes. I DID NOT get benadryl so if your having that, that may make you tired.

Hair...I also got some scarf things. I'm not freaking our too much about it YET. It is what it is with that. Gonna cut my hair short next week, then buzz it within 2 weeks. My hair is about as long as the wig and dont want to be pulling that out in clumps.

What's helping me mentally....this group for sure! And HUGE support group of friends and family! And my kids are huge! My 9 year old made,a calendar and is marking off my treatments. I'm an 1/8th of the way done it now says. And shes keeping my wrist band as I get them...7 more to collect. My 7 year old son is gonna shave his head when I do as well.

Alls I can say is ask as many questions as it takes to make you feel comfortable!

Please keep me posted!

• Sadlynew2018
    Sadlynew2018 Member Posts: 173
    Options

cc - so glad things are going well so far. You’re kicking butt!!! The picture looks great - the hat is wonderful. I purchased one as well and tried it on. I think it may just work. A silver lining ... Love your reports on what to expect. Hope all continues to go well or better. Love the stories re your kids. That is incredibly sweet. The countdown is on!

• AMLmom51
    AMLmom51 Member Posts: 23
    Options

Hey, Everyone! Very informative posts! I will start chemo 10/10. I had my port put in 10/5. I must not have asked the right questions about the port. I was just told I would have it. My chemo will be 4 sessions, 3 weeks apart. For me the port procedure was so painful. It's good to hear from others that the pain will not last. The surgeon kept saying "I can't get it to snap..." and kept pushing on me - I also did not like the fact that I was awake.

How/when did each of you get your neulesta (sp) or any info about side-effect medication? My MO didn't say anything to me. Do you get it at your first chemo appointment? My chemo class is the day before, 10/9. Maybe I need to make a phone call to the MO?

• lulabella
    lulabella Member Posts: 48
    Options

hi everyone! Just popping over from the June group to wish you luck and remind you that time will inevitably pass and you will be on the other side of chemo soon. Good luck and be strong!!

• Ccaxt
    Options

Thanks lulabella...I love when people from prior groups pop in for encouragement! I totally plan on doing the same!

AML...yes my MO said it very matter of fact to me about the port. I had done some research and knew with my anxiety disorder that would not work for me so I shut him down pretty quickly! That all being said, I do think in the long run it is a better deal for everyone. Less pokes. I still have to worry about if my veins hold up and I have 7 infusions to go. Ugh. I think some have had pain with getting it placed but most seem to ge doing ok after a few days. As far as the shot, I had to go back in the day after for mine. They do offer an option of having some contraption attached to your arm that automatically gives it to you at the correct time and then you just take it off and throw away. I think a lot of people get that. Claritan seems to have good success that may come with the bone pain associated with the shot. I did quite a bit of research on this forum that helped quite a bit. Ask, ask ask. That's why they are there. I ask until I am completely confident in the answer. No hedging allowed!

Good luck next week!

Hope everyone has a great sunday... including the BRONCOS!

• RhosgobelRabbit
    Options

wide awake this am. Been thinking about my blood counts. On the 4th about 7 days after first chemo I had bloodwork to check my counts and found out I’m neutropenic meaning my white cells are below 1.5. I wouldn’t of even known cuz I still feel good. Was put on two intermediate antibiotics for 5 days to help immune system while counts rebuild. Doc told me it’s not unusual to drop first round. Just need to wash my hands frequently and avoid the crowds for a few days also avoid fresh fruit and veg, everything needs to be cooked. I had gotten neulasta shot day after chemo and still my counts dropped, thank goodness for the shot otherwise woulda been really low.My counts get checked morning of the 11th, if they recover, onward, if not will have to delay for a bit. I’m a tad worried about it this am because I actually want to get #2 under my belt, I keep forgetting the stuff they give us is powerful. My Doc didn’t think I should have trouble rebounding, all I know right now is I miss my veggies- a taco with fresh veg and sour cream sounds so good to me right and I can’t have it *pout* I wish u all could see how far my lip is poking out, practically dragging on the floor.

Been enjoying reading all the posts lots of awesome personality here.

• tlw0818
    tlw0818 Member Posts: 3
    Options

I’m now Day 6 after my first Chemo, am still struggling badly with nausea....absolutely no appetite and having to force myself to eat dry biscuits and bread!! I need to keep strong, I know, ready for my next round....

The hospital have introduced another, different anti nausea drug to run alongside what I’m already taking....still not a great deal better!

Will phone again tomorrow and see if they can recommend an alternative drug combination....I just want to start feeling some sort of normality again!

Is anyone else struggling too?

• Fritzmylove
    Fritzmylove Member Posts: 262
    Options

Hello everyone. I had my first chemo on Oct 1. I felt pretty nauseous that first night and tired the whole next day, but otherwise it’s not been too bad. Neulasta on the 3rd, with zero SE. My biggest struggle is mentally. I wake up early every morning with images of the cancer spreading and killing me. I’ve been put on Zoloft, but I don’t know that it’s doing anything but making things worse. I seem to have a constant headache, and I don’t want to get off the couch or out of bed. I know I need to pull up my boot straps and deal with this for my family, butit’s just so hard. I admire those of you that are able to keep your chin up. Send some of that strength my way!

• Ccaxt
    Options
    • rad... so sorry about your counts. Do you get them checked weekly. My place just checks them before next session. Pretty scary, but at least you know. Have you thought about protein shakes? I might try them as a little reassurance? I thought they were crazy in my chemoteach when they told me to live my life like normal as much as possible. We are a VERY social family! No way can I live my life the same. I'll be overly paranoid for 16 weeks, but hey, we will survive!
    • Tlw...have you tried warm water with ginger root and honey. A nice gal I sat to at chemo said it worked wonders for her as well as the acupuncture. Couldn't hurt??? What regimen are you on. Gotta say...I'm jealous, wish I was day six!
    • Fritz...the mental part for me is definitely the hardest! I've been making myself do stuff (mind you I'm only on day 3, but even b4 I started I was a mess). My se haven't been too terrible so every day I'm still trying to live as "normal" as possible. Pep talk...get ur booty off the couch, go for a walk (I'm about to make myself do the same), call a friend or family member that will make you laugh, cheer on your favorite football team (assuming you have one, if not feel free to cheer on the broncos) and tell yourself your gonna have a GREAT day! We all know the more we lay around the more we think and let those crappy thoughts in our head. Not today! Ok, end of pep talk. Lol But seriously, you CAN do this like all of the people on the threads b4 us! Oh, have you made a calendar? I find that helpful to check off the days.. like a countdown :) And, final note, I expect a pep talk in return when I'm feeling crappy too! Lol
    • Have a GREAT day ladies!!
  • Fritzmylove
    Options

ccaxt thanks for the pep talk. I’m actually feeling ok today. Took an extra long shower, and might head out for a walk if the rain holds off. I know that if I can get my mind under control, this whole process will be much easier. But I’m a worrier by nature.

• RhosgobelRabbit
    Options

Cc- your idea about the protein increase sounds like a good one. Someone on another thread once mention red meat helping with blood counts. I've stocked up with protein drink, frozen individual hamburger patties to grill up at will, made myself a spaghetti bake with homemade meat sauce, have some tuna on hand and eggs. I heard yogurt especially Greek is good but can't have that right now being neutropenic (the bacteria in yogurt can mess with u when your neutropenic). Yep, blood drawn weekly. Day before or of chemo and then a week out from chemo to see how my counts are. Being a young whippersnapper I thought it wouldn’t be necessary but alas surprise! Life is full of those little jewels

Girl, I remember them telling me in chemo class to live as normally as possible, ie: eat what u can until we tell u what u need to limit ie: go out in public normally until we tell you to stay put. Life really is sorta normal but it's a new kinda normal. I think what's best is the things that are consistent ie: love from family and good and positive things I have to look forward to once my journeys done. I am doing chemo before surgery to shrink, I was mentally ready for the surgery and got my heart broken when they said chemo first because I want this darn fricken thing outta me. My hubby called me a tough cookie, I told him what kinda tough cookie am I if I cannot even have nuts! Ugh minor complaints in the scheme of things. My taco with veggies and sour cream will have to wait. A veggie-less cheeseburger will have to suffice. Hey at least mayo mustard and ketsup are still on the menu!

Fritz - I frequently have thoughts like that. I've begun to see each chemo treatment like king Leonides and the band of 300 are being sent in to inilate my 3.6 cm tumor, they did alittle too well last time but still it's once step closer to ilbliteration and one step closer to surgery and then done! Hang in there. As my mother in law tells me and I try and take it to heart, this is atemporary reality, not your final reality. Stay strong sister!

• RhosgobelRabbit
    Options

tlc- as far as the nausea did they give you some compazine or zofran to take home with u to help with nausea? If so take it on a schedule no matter how u feel, I found being one step ahead helped with me. My nurses also suggested ginger ale that’s had alittle of the fizz taken out or ginger tablets. I found spearmint tea also refreshing on the stomach hot or cold. Staying hydrated helped me too I alternated between water and Gatorade. Make sure u are eating even just little bits throughout the day, empty tummy rumbles can cause you to be nauseated too! Feel better soon! Byday 7 or 8 you’ll be feeling much better.

• RobynS4
    RobynS4 Member Posts: 18
    Options

Hi Everyone....just curious if anyone is on TCHP chemo (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin and perjeta)?

• Notgivingup
    Notgivingup Member Posts: 143
    Options

Hi All!

Hope the weekend is going well for you. My weekend has been busy. Some shopping got done, laundry, cleaning, and some meal prep to put in the freezer. Still tired, but working through it.

Adjusting to our "new normal" is hard at times for me. I get frustrated with not having the energy like before. It seems to take longer to do things. My family has been wonderfully understanding with everything. I don't know what I would do without them.

• Ccaxt
    Options

good luck today sadly new! You got this and it's one step closer to being all done!! Hugs!!

• Sadlynew2018
    Options

thank you, cc!! The official start day is tomorrow but my anxiety is CRAZY today. Drinking tons and tons of water. I’ve heard that helps? Got my blanket for tomorrow, lots of water, my hubs (lol), my phone for music (“poison” lol). Going to put some gel on my brows and lashes that was an impulse purchase. My husband is more nervous than me. I think I’ve been dreading this so much and anticipating it, I’m so ready for it. Like you said, ready to get one down and 15 more to go! How have you been feeling? Day 3?

I bought a wig but also bought a halo online. Going to be wearing a lot of hats this fall. At least it’s the fall though and we can swap up winter hats!

Hope everyone else is doing well. Let’s continue to keep kicking butt!!!
  • Ccaxt
    Options

so...day 4 for me. I didnt realize day of infusion counts as day one...woo hoo BONUS!

Sadlynew...I'm feeling ok. Definitely up and down. My main complaint is the rapid heart rate...it just really messed with my anxiety. Oh and the red flushing of my face. Hoping that's all steroid related and today is my last day of those thank goodness. Been managing to get between 6-7 hours of sleep a night which I'm definitely not complaining about. Oh, and dizziness is off and on. Again, hoping steroids? Aside from that, all good. No nausea or bone pain which I'm super thankful for! Been on the claritan daily and plan on staying on it til day 6...just in case. Its rainy and gloomy here today...blah! Where are you located?

You will do great tomorrow! Sounds like your all ready. I know I've said it a million times, but make sure you ask any questions you have...eases the mind!

Rad... when is your next infusion? You seem to be doing well! Love the attitude!

Fritz....how are ya doing today? HOPEFULLY well :)

Robyn...welcome. I'm on a different regimen than you. Hope yours goes well!

• Fritzmylove
    Options

I’m doing ok today. Took the kids with my parents to a pumpkin farm. It was really warm and I had to sit down a lot. It’s so weird to walk around after a dx while everyone around you is living their normal lives.

Neulasta pain started last night 5 days after my injection. The back pain is no fun, but tolerable. I will be trying Claritin next round to see if that helps.

Last night I was feeling confident about beating this thing, and now today I’m wavering.

Good luck tomorrow Sadlynew2018

Ccaxt glad to hear your SE arent giving you too many problems. I get the rapid heart rate, too. Usually at night when all I want to do is sleep and escape my thoughts.

Positive thoughts to everyone today

• RhosgobelRabbit
    Options

CC- sounds like your hanging in there. You might get a couple steroid withdrawal days, for me they were the worst (extra tired) but a very quick bounce back. Overall sounds like your doing well! My next infusion cross fingers toes and heart is this Thursday the 11th at 8am, hopefully blooddrawl just prior will say I’m okay to go for round 2 of my “Poison!!”

Sadly new- you’ll do great! Will be thinking of you tomorrow! “Poison!

Not giving up- I agree the adjustment is hard but as u said having support really helps. Pretty soon you’ll be celebrating on the other side of this. Keep rocking the color red - you got this.

Fritz- I was thinking that the other day out and about- watching people smile and laugh as if life were normal and then thinking to myself that was me not long ago before my life changed. But then I thought maybe they like me are hiding a secret struggle and this was just one of their good days. Hang in there, you can do it! One by one each of us will be able to check our chemotherapy box off, almost there!

Robyn- welcome aboard I know some women in the September thread are doing your treatment.

• Fritzmylove
    Options

Anyone else feel like they have to brush their teeth 5-6 times a day? My mouth always feels so gross. Not necessarily dry, just like my saliva is extra thick and coating. Feel like I can’t talk to people freely because my breath must smell even though my dental hygiene is good.

• Sadlynew2018
    Options

Finished my first ACT today. One down, 3 more to go (followed by Taxol). I feel incredibly nauseous. Bad. They gave me two different anti nausea medicines in my port. Emend and something else. For the steroid, they said they will go ahead and give me the full dose and see how it goes. I'm wondering if the steroids are making me sick? I'm trying to drink as much water as possible and the nausea doesn't help at all. Ugh. I hate to be a negative post in the sea of good posts in our group. This has really knocked me down. Aside from the nausea, I feel kinda ok. Tired so I close my eyes but then my body won't sleep. They gave me scripts for zofran and if that didn't work, they gave me another for something stronger. I just took that one because zofran isn't touching it. Praying for it to work.

Other than tha obsene level of nausea, today went off without a hitch. Received a neulasta box that will go off tomorrow afternoon. When did medicine get so progressive??

Did anyone else have EXTREME nausea the day of treatment? How did it get resolved?

Trying to be strong and not lay in bed. And it's taking every ounce of me.

Thanks to everyone for listening. Hugs to all. Hoping everyone's SEs are being gentle to them or nonexistent.

• Fritzmylove
    Options

Sadlynew2018 one tx down! Sorry to hear you were hit with SE so soon. I had pretty bad nausea about 4 hours after my first tx that lasted through the entire next day. For me I think it was the steroids and not eating because I felt so sick which made everything worse. I found that as long as I was eating something, even just saltines, every hour or two, it helped with the nausea.

Be easy with yourself. Rest when you can and hopefully you’ll be feeling better soon. I’m one week and one day past my first tx, and I still feel off in the mornings. It’s powerful stuff they’re putting into us!

• RhosgobelRabbit
    Options

sadly new- I’ve been waiting with anticipation for your first post after chemo. Congrats on getting #1 in the books! I was given same nausea premeds as u and given compazine and zofran to take at home. I was popping a compazine within a couple hours of being home. I took them on a schedule and set alarms to keep ahead of it. Definitely nibble what u can when u can, I found having something consistently in my stomach really helped with nausea. I drank hot and cold spearmint tea it helped with nausea and a queasy tummy. Slightly flattened ginger ale helps. Keep drinking water. I alternated between water and Gatorade.

Biggest thing I did was rest and try and sleep through some of the nausea when i could. Steroids I was told are supposed to help with nausea and tolerating the chemo, they helped but I found the days I came off them I was the most tired ie: days 4,5,6 by day 7 I was singing “ I am woman hear me roar” because I felt so much better. Listen to ur body and do what it says. Chemo nurses told me that during treatment u need to put urself first as hard as it is.

You did it! First infusion in the books only 3 more to go! 1/4 of the way there. You took your “Poison!” Like a champ! Thinking of u as u recover, you’ll feel much better before u know it!

• Ccaxt
    Options

sadly new....I'm so sorry! But everyone is right, one treatment down! I know, doesnt help much. :( But, it's TRUE. I cant offer much insight on the nausea, as I was lucky not to have much, just heartburn. I think we all have different side effects unfortunately. When my heart was racing and my face was in fire I was thinking, I'd rather have nausea. BUT, probably not. It's such a crap shoot. I just keep telling myself that, at some point between day 5-8, I'm gonna feel better. I finally gave up on the steroids yesterday and by this afternoon...much better. My MO is big on steroids 1st infusion but said after that, we can let off. I've heard others wonder if that's what actually gave them nausea. Hang in there!!!

• RhosgobelRabbit
    Options

sadly new- hope things are going better for you today! Thinking of you!

Patrice- it’s D day for the both of us tomorrow! You’ll do great!

Cc- hoping your progressing on the upward swing. Being on the other feels great!

Today 13 days after first chemo I’m shedding from EVERYWHERE. Mild shedding but know the big purge is coming. Good bye hair. I shaved my head to a short buzz day before chemo because I had really long beautiful dark brown hair and seeing the clumps woulda been hard for me. Right now sporting long headscarves in navy and black to mimic long hair til I get my prescription for a wig and find one I really like

“Radagast Rabbit tomorrow chemotherapy shall be pumped through your body until you are about to puke in accordance with breast cancer protocol. Roll on 2”.

• Sadlynew2018
    Options

Patrice and D - you will do great tomorrow. With one under your belt, perhaps you know what more to expect. I will be thinking of both of you tomorrow!

Cc - hope you continue to feel good. You are my idol as how you are rocking this treatment!

So it's day 2 for me. You ladies were so right about getting ahead of the medicine. I finally was able to close my eyes last night and get some sleep. My husband set his alarm to wake me up every 2 hours to use the bathroom. Then I forced myself to eat crackers which helped tremendously (thank you again everyone). Keeping up my water intake as well. Going to take my nausea medicine every 6 hours (not zofran but the other one). It seems like staying on top of it is key. Also started my Claritin and senokot. I've heard it's good to have those in your system? Just trying to get by. My hopes and spirits are a lot higher today. I was very very white last night (did that happen to anyone else). I seem to have regained some color today.

Hope everyone is doing well. Hugs.