Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo October 2018

Options
1313233343537»

Comments

• frmthahart
    frmthahart Member Posts: 59
    Options

I hope this finds you all well and safe! I have had all of you on my mind. I have finally found some semblance of a normal on the Nerlynx and other than fighting the extreme fatigue and potty ups & downs was feeling light of spirit -only to have the world hit by this COVID-19. I thought about not posting because of all that is going on, however, I figured there is never a reason to not count your blessings. So, here goes....

I had my six month diagnostic mammo today. Along with the usual anxiety and fear, there was an overwhelming feeling of gratitude to be able to get in and get it done. You see, the hospital had several cancellations because people were concerned about the virus so, they had an opening that I took. Long story short, I got in, was tested........waited anxiously for results.........got the thumbs up! ....and left - only to arrive home to see the live report from our Governor calling for all medical, dental and vet procedures that were not critical to be canceled or postponed through the end of April to conserve PPE. I am grateful to have made it just in the nick of time -The anxiety of wondering what if, the fear of "it could" would have been more than I could handle. I am still in the trenches seeing my MO every 4 weeks.... having this nugget of comfort feels priceless!

You will all be in my prayers as our country deals with this pandemic!

• Newfromny
    Newfromny Member Posts: 108
    Options

I haven’t been here in a while but I know your the group to go to in these difficult times I live in NY so things are bad, my husband and I haven’t left the house other than walks for weeks, I’ve put off doctor appointments because I’m scared, and nowthere is tension between my husband and me. How are you all coping?

• Notgivingup
    Notgivingup Member Posts: 143
    Options

Hi All,

I hope you all are well. I have been good here. My family is pretty much home. My son isn't working right now and his day program is closed, my daughter's college closed for the remainder of the semester. She is now doing her classes online. She will not be working after tomorrow. Hubby is still going to work everyday (chief engineer for a hotel). We have only gone to the store twice since this whole thing started in New York. We are actually getting along well. My husband has been helping bake bread each week. Just trying to keep busy and enjoy the time with my family. Last year at this time I was half way done with chemo. Wow, just wow. It's hard to believe it was a year ago.

Stay healthy and safe everyone. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

• annie60
    annie60 Member Posts: 295
    Options

Right now we are doing OK. I am having some trouble on Letrozole. If I take it in the morning, my back and hips so bad, I can't function. If I take it at night, I can't sleep. Not sure what to do next. I was suppose to have scans, exam and blood work on the 17th, but I bet they put it off. How long can you go without getting a port flushed?

This time last year I was in the middle of THP. Still gives me nightmares.

We are staying in - crafting, gardening and watching it rain. Please stay safe, sisters. I think and pray for you often.

Annie

• RhosgobelRabbit
    RhosgobelRabbit Member Posts: 502
    Options

NewfromNY - same story here - have only left house to ride shotgun in the car while hubby shops but I haven't interacted with anyone besides doctors or my hubby in 4 weeks. Think I'm trying to look at it like I did with AC, having to hunker down and take care of myself, so I'm doing that. I'm high risk, meaning it would be bad if I got sick so I'm doing my part staying home but trying to keep busy. I am organizing the house drawer by drawer and I'm planning my attack on the yard, oh yes ladies, its almost that season again, lawn mowing season, dun dun dun!! *cheesy grin*.

I'm looking at new recipes planning what I plan on taking to church when we finally can assemble again. I'm going for Italian as my Pastor is 100% Italian . Probably chicken parm and Chocolate cake of some kind, Pastor's favorite. Buon-A-Petitti is a great youtube channel, Italian grandma, I got my fettuccine alfredo recipe from her! Think i'll try her chicken parm recipe and her gravy recipe.

Annie, I take my AI midday, with lunch seems to help a tiny bit. I think my MO mentioned 6 to 8 weeks between flushes are okay, lost my port at mastectomy, but I think I remember her saying it would be okay for a small stretch before flush when I was concerned about a few week delay getting it flushed once. Double check what MO thinks. I hope you are able to get what you need on the 17th, I think by then we should have a good idea whats going on virus wise by then hopefully.

Thinking of the newly diagnosed and those going through IV chemo now, what a stressful time to deal with cancer. Praying for relief for our country soon!! Right now I find a hot shower intensely relieving, with some nice body wash, just feeling clean, slipping into my covers and petting my animals as I watch youtube is nice. I look forward to some nice weather, I think some greenery and open windows is the cure for this shut-in feeling.

Love to you all :) I know alot of us keep in touch on facebook, but its good to revisit this thread, this thread was my life line during chemo. No group like ours I don't think :)

• frmthahart
    Options

Well, if there wasn't already a LOT going on, now we have had another earthquake in the region. This one was stronger than the last one two weeks ago. I was actually aware of this one. I was at Sam's club with my hubby at the time trying to get a few things. I touch nothing, he wears latex gloves and grabs what I tell him we need... we probably look really comical..LOL! Anyway, it sound like a freight train or fighter jet was going by. It got really loud and the building shook/rumbled just a bit. Shortly after figuring out it was an earthquake, a video of one of my friends dressed like a shepherd - walking stick and all- with a sign that said "Repent! the end is near" was uploaded to FB. It was all rather disconcerting! I soon discovered the video was for a fellowship activity for his church group....not a proclamation to the world. The timing of it all though........

As strange as it may seem, I feel more alive these days! I worry about the COVID-19 but it is not all consuming. It just seems that because of it, and all the life changes - having my kids home all day, hubby too - the constant cancer monster seems to have its ugly head hiding underground (maybe that is why the earth has been shaking all around me?) Truthfully, I just want to go to sleep and wake up to find ALL of it in the rear view mirror - with all of us and our families unscathed.

Stay strong, Stay safe, Stay healthy! I pray for you all - but especially you NY Ladies.

• Notgivingup
    Options

Rabbit- boun-a-pettiti's chicken parmesan is awesome! I have made it several times and my family loves it. I have made a lot of her recipes and they are good.

• Pommom1809
    Pommom1809 Member Posts: 161
    Options

rabbit, sorry for being gone so long. The oncologist called while we were on the road to Florida, it was good news! Now she wants to do a MRI of my neck & spine because there is inflammation there. I have that scheduled for May 6.

We cut 10 days off the end of our vacation as everything was closing including the beaches. Was worried if we would have a difficult time getting home to Ohio. Wasn’t too bad we were able to get gas, food & a room without any problems. Finding a restroom was a little more problematic, thank goodness for Walmart!

On the way home had to detour to my sister’s home, this caused us to stay in Florida couple of days more. She went to hospital in Gainesville so we headed south. I was allowed in emergency room, but my husband wasn’t allowed in the hospital at all.

Once she was admitted & taken to the ICU no one could see her. It’s been over a week since then & she is still there. She was very ill & is still touch & go, but we had to get home. At least with the way things are we can’t visit in the hospital so we could go home.

So I’ve had so much stress instead of the great time I’d been looking forward to since 2018!

My breakfast on a couple of Sundays

• annie60
    Options

Doris - I've been thinking about and wondering how you are. Also, anyone else checking here? I hope you all are doing well.

Annie

• Notgivingup
    Options

Hi All,

Just checking in a d wanting to give an update of what is happening with me. I recently had a PET/CT scan. It wasn't good. I will be going in for a biopsy of my lung/lymph node to figure out if we are dealing with lung cancer or breast cancer. My biopsy is on Monday. Today I went for preoperative testing. That covid test is not fun. I hope to have answers soon a d a treatment plan in place.

I hope all is well with you all and that you are staying healthy and safe.

• RhosgobelRabbit
    Options

Many of us have been privately helping Notgivingup during this time. Its not news we want to hear at all, but I know Notgivingup, and she is the very definition of that, she's one heck of a woman honestly, one I'm proud to call my friend :)

Doris, I peek at your breakfast cocktail every once in awhile, it looks kinda good! I hope your doing well, please check in when you can.

I remember when this thread was hoppin', we all started chemo together during breast cancer month (ugh).....you ladies are amazing, I am so glad to be able to keep in touch with many of you regularly :)

• Notgivingup
    Options
    Hi All.

I started chemotherapy and immunotherapy yesterday. Today I am tired and achy. I am getting my fluids in and napping as needed. Hopefully I will not be as tired after this weekend.

I miss everyone on here. It is strange to not have this board jumping. Anyways, I hope everyone is living their extra life!
  • frmthahart
    Options

Notgivingup - Sorry that you are feeling tired and achy :( Wish you were not going through all this! We got your back and you will beat it down again!! Are you getting the Neulasta stuff this time around? Was it better with a port?

I would imagine that people will be checking back in as the 2 year anniversary's start popping up. We went through a LOT together! I know this group was my secret weapon during it all. You will not be alone.....

• Kjelftr
    Kjelftr Member Posts: 11
    Options

Just checking in! For those still fighting, never forget to keep smiling everyday. The road Is bumpy but as long as we wake up everyday there is something to be happy about. Hugs to all

• annie60
    Options

Has anyone heard from Doris? I would love to know how she is.

• RhosgobelRabbit
    Options

Hello, this is Nathan, Samantha's husband. Sadly, Samantha passed away quickly and peacefully yesterday morning. I know that she loves you, and that your friendship and support means everything to her. Thank you for being there for her.

Natha

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

Dear Nathan,

We're so sorry to hear such unwelcome news... Samantha will be missed by the BCO community. May she rest in peace. Please, accept our sincerest condolences.

The Mods

• Newfromny
    Newfromny Member Posts: 108
    Options

Nathan , I am so sad to hear this, Samantha was loved by all of us and helped all of us with her kind words and humor. She loved you so much and I hope you feel the support from all of us

• frmthahart
    Options

My heart is breaking! I am so sorry to hear this! I am grateful that her passing was peaceful. I will dearly miss my Rabbit and her humor!! She was always there for us - cheering us on and supporting us through our many trials with this stupid cancer- even as she endured so much pain through her own journey.

Nathan, you truly were the love of her life and her knight in shining armor! Thank you for sharing her with us and for being her strength and support through it all!! She will forever be a part of us -and so are you! Know that we are here for you!

Your wings were ready -even though our hearts were not - Fly high Rabbit!