Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo October 2018

Options

Comments

• PatriceL
    PatriceL Member Posts: 58
    Options

Fritz - he wandered into our lives in May, vet thinks part mastiff, maybe pit bull, maybe lab? He's about 2 and weighs 100 lbs, not an ounce of fat, so size alone suggests mastiff or dane mix. He's been treating me very differently this weekend, has become a velcro dog, super snuggly- really new behavior for him. He was very shy and not super comfortable being loved on when he first came to us, so this weeks change is pretty awesome. Yours looks young, still a puppy? Nothing like a big sweet baby to help us feel better!

Notgivingup - thrilled to hear the good news! Every good bit of result helps so much!

Sister - wow, you've just been thru some stuff, I imagine that was scary. Like this crap isn't hard enough, let's add another degree of difficulty... so brave of you to go on even after the bad reaction. Thank goodness for your awesome team, but all credit goes to you Sister - the official "I'm not scared of sh#t, what else you got" award (tm) goes to you lady!!!!! That's what's up.

And I, like Rabbit, am tired and hungry. On-pro went off sometime yesterday, hubs took it off in the evening (that adhesive tape is no joke, yowza). So far so good. It's a balmy 32 degrees and the sun will be up in an hour or so. I'm doing a load of laundry. Life is fairly normal so far today, and I like it.

Stay strong ladies - hydrate, eat, rest, do whatever makes you feel good. So glad we've all got each other, you broads are the bomb!!!!

• Fritzmylove
    Fritzmylove Member Posts: 262
    Options

Patrice- love that he’s become your protector! Mine is 8 years old but still looks and acts like a young adult. He’s 80 lbs of pure love.

• Ccaxt
    Ccaxt Member Posts: 60
    Options

Patrice...I'm still laughing at your post about me! Pretty much sums it up!!! Lol You seem to be doing well, and that's AWESOME!!

Rad...yup, eating like a horse! I thought for sure I had put on weight already, but to my surprise I haven't. Honestly, its whatever. If I have to do a little dieting when I'm done, that's the least if my worries.

Fritz...great news!

Sister...holy cow! Ya, I probably would have said "not today!" And freaked out! You rock!!

Notgivingup....that's such great news. My testing needs to be rescheduled for that (scheduling error). I figure I want to get through 1 more infusion, then I can hear up for that...mentally.

Sadlynew...how are you doing today?

And, now my bit of a vent. I'll preface by saying I ADORE my husband and kids and dogs..but i may go get a hotel for the next 3 months! Lol

Came home to my house a mess and dogs had pissed on my new hardwood floor. Lost it! Told kids I'm putting dogs on craigslist! (Of course I would never do that!) Then my hubby has an infection in his tooth (needs root canal) so I walking around holding his face moaning and groaning. Plus his back, legs, ribs hurt from work yesterday...blah blah blah. In my head I'm like "B$*&@, I had to have 6 teeth pulled a week before starting CHEMO oh and I have cancer! I win!" I'd love to say it's the steroids that's making me bitchy but...havent had those since Sunday! Lol PMS? Oh, and my 7 year old has a cold I would normally not think twice about, but my house is now drenched in lysol and hes confined to the basement! (Which I'm sure he doesn't care about...fortnite 24/7!) Lmao Oh, and my biggest complaint yet. Doc said I could have a beer if I wanted but needs to be AT LEAST 48 hrs after infusion. So finally, 8 days after..I said screw it. Opened up my nice cold coors light and it tasted HORRIBLY! REALLY????? That's what's gonna effect my taste buds! Lol. Oh well, probably jesus taking the wheel! Haha

Ok, venting over. It's a beautiful 60 degrees and sunny here today in Colorado (3-6 inches of snow expected tonight). Feel normal today so super grateful for that! Gonna go to a chocolate festival shortly then maybe out to dinner with hubby for an early anniversary (anniversary falls on day 3 of next AC, blah) if I dont kill him first. Lol

Sorry for the complaints. Funny how it's so much easier sharing this with ya'll then my friends and family! Lol

• SisterStrong
    SisterStrong Member Posts: 43
    Options

Fritz- I'm so happy to hear you got such good news on your tumor marker and to hear you care for your team so much because that is critical in this journey we get to go through

Patrice-you made me smile with your award statement. I’m feeling pretty good so far today

Ccaxt- It is always good to be able to vent. We all adore our families but life continues and things don’t go as it should so it is good to have an outlet

I hope everyone can have some fun this weekend!!!

• joules44
    joules44 Member Posts: 52
    Options

Did y'all get a port placed for your chemo treatments? I'm scheduled to get mine on Monday but I know there are pros and cons. Curious about your own experiences.

• Fritzmylove
    Options

I had a port placed. It made chemo really easy to receive. I don’t mind IVs, but I know I can feel the liquid being pumped in through an IV but with the port I didn’t feel anything, which made it a more comfortable experience. It’s been 2 weeks since I had it put in, and it’s a litttle tight, but otherwise it doesn’t bother me.

• joules44
    Options

That's good to hear, Fritxmylove. I feel like it's the right decision since I'll be having chemo every week for 12 weeks. Seems like it will make it all easier, take out some of the anxiety each week. Thanks for sharing your experience!

• PatriceL
    PatriceL Member Posts: 58
    Options

hey Joules - I had my port installed ( is that the right term? put in? ) on a Wednesday, had my first treatment on Thursday. I was totally out for the port procedure, took about 45 minutes for the placement, then an hour or so to wake up and be discharged.

Because the placement and treatment were so close, I was pretty concerned about the whole area being super sore. It wasn't at all. I barely barely felt the needle stick into the port.

It's been 4 days and I only notice the port once or twice a day. It just feels tight I guess, but no pain. Not much swelling either, just feels like there is something weird under my skin. Cause, ya know, there's something weird under my skin. But I'm glad it's there.

• SisterStrong
    Options

I have a port also. It was tender a couple of days after surgery but it is fine now. I had a Port prior for when I wasn’t doing chemo for my melanoma. But I had it taken out as soon as I ended That was just done in my SO office. He was able to use the same incision and spot the only thing I hate is that I taste the saline each time they flush it but a mint helps and not everyone taste it plus just knowing it is there is weird but I’m glad I have one

• Sadlynew2018
    Sadlynew2018 Member Posts: 173
    Options

Helllloooooo warriors!!

Hope everyone is doing well. Day 5 for me. I woke up feeling pretty ok. Had to pinch myself. Didn't take any nausea medicine. I was taking compazine which I realized was giving me a terrible "jittery" side effect. It made me keep moving. I thought it was the infusion but realized, when it continued, it was the medicine. Zofran didn't do much for the nausea. Going to have to find something stronger next time. They prescribed me phenagran but it's hard to be a mom while you are SLEEPING from medicine. Lol. So.... enough about me....

Port question. I got one installed and it was super sore. But my SO was pretty insistent on it. Little did I know, my MOs clinic won't administer AC through a vein. So glad I did. I agree on the saline taste. It's weird but I didn't feel a thing. You literally are just plugged up and that's all. No pain. It's the way to go - at least for me it was. I forget it's thete usually unless there is a seat belt involved. Then the port reminds me he's there. Or she. Lol.

Cc - piss on the new hardwood floors?!?!? Ugh! No! I can totally understand your venting. Thank heavens for Fortnite right? My oldest loves it. You are entitled to bitch, cry, yell even spew venom. Why? Because we are warriors! I'm glad to hear all else is going well with you (other than dog pee). I'm hoping we are all past the bad part of the infusion.

Patrice - your posts crack me up!! I had the on pro as well and that tape is seriously no joke. My hubs pulled it off and it HURT! Lol. The whole mechanism is so “Jetsons” to me. It’s amazing medicine is now “here’s a shot, just stick it on and wait a day.” Lol. But we did it! And got through it. :-)

Not giving up - i admire you for having gone through the hair shave. I am dreading it but I know it’s coming. I think I may do it Friday. I’m afraid it will really become real when that happens. Did you find any cute hats? Any luck with the scarf tying?

Rad - I am so tired and hungry too. I’m trying to eat healthy but I’ve so hungry, I’m eating like a grown man! Hope your weekend is going wonderfully :-)

Fritz - congrats on the good results. That’s amazing. Sometimes it seems like things can be so negative. Then we get good results can can cling hard to. So glad you got some. Hold them near :-) hope you are having a great Saturday and that your SE continue to be small.

Today, I am thankful for this group, for you ladies and for the bond we get to share. This is a terribly tragic time of our lives but we are able to push through by sharing our strength, wit and humor and I would have it no other way. Let’s keep pushing forward! Warriors!!!

• Lillian_2018
    Lillian_2018 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Let me know how you are coping with chemo.About to start October 22, 2018

• naplesali
    naplesali Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi Joules and welcome. I am sorry that you had to join this group. My diagnosis is very similar to yours. I had my 2nd treatment of taxol/herceptin on Thursday. It really has not been as bad as I thought. So far, side effects are mild. I also still feel pretty overwhelmed by it all. And I also still feel like it’s not really me going through this when I talk about it. Youwill get through this.

• naplesali
    naplesali Member Posts: 5
    Options

Sister- I had the same reaction during my first treatment with taxol. My face was read and I had an incredible feeling of heat moving from my abdomen up to my face. The shortness of breath/trouble breathing was the scariest. They turned it off for awhile and then Restarted it with a slow drip and I like you had no trouble. I was very nervous for my 2nd treatment and was praying nonstop about it. I had 2nd treatment on Thursday with no reaction at all.

• joules44
    Options

Thank you all for your comments regarding the port. I wasn't sure if they put you under to put in the port but I was suspicious since I'm not supposed to eat or drink after midnight. And yes, PatriceL, I too am having chemo the day after the port procedure which sounded soon but I'm glad to know it's not uncommon and you didn't feel any pain. Naplesali, so glad to be travelling this path with a triple positive sister! Looks there are a few of us on here. My tumor was heterogeneous, both HER+ and HER- so we're treating it as if it's all HER+ since that kind is the angriest. I am preparing for the week ahead by buying all the foods, and cleaning all the rooms, and washing all the clothes. It's like I'm about to go on vacation! But sadly, not the case. ;)

• Fritzmylove
    Options

My husband and children just helped to buzz my head. I’m day 13 post first chemo, and I’m been messing with my hair constantly trying to see if I can get clumps to fall out. I figured let’s just get it over with while everyone is home and can take a day to get used to it.It was way less traumatic than I expected and I almost feel empowered from it. I hope this feeling lasts. My 3 year old daughter says she likes it better than my long hair, and my 6 year old son says I look great. It definitely feels weird when I move my head around.

• RhosgobelRabbit
    RhosgobelRabbit Member Posts: 502
    Options

well I am glad I am not alone feeling like a cone head ready to consume mass quantities everyday. Sleeping or trying to and eating is all I want to do. Day 4 post #2 infusion of AC, not feeling like a badass but a slow ass today. Feeling a little antsy and wired, days 4,5,6 were like that for me last time. Nausea under control taking them on schedule and enjoying ginger drops or flattened ginger ale every once in awhile.

So thankful for all of u, we are getting through this together with flying colors! So proud of all of us, we are really doing it!

Welcome to all the new comers! Hope everyone’s doing well se wise! I’m off to go consume something again lol.

• AMLmom51
    AMLmom51 Member Posts: 23
    Options

All of you are awesome!! All of your posts, even the smallest comments, provides such helpful information. My first chemo was 10/10. Day 2 the pain was unbearable. I'm feeling better each day. Reading your posts, I believe I reacted to the Neulasta. I had the injector in my arm, which went of early afternoon of day 2. That evening through the next morning my bones were in excruciating pain. I will take a Claritin next time! That's a relief that I may not have to go through that again!!

I was flushed from the steroid and my heart raced a bit, but that passed quickly.

My port was still sore at my first treatment, so the nurse "froze" it with spray. Taking a mint or chewing gum when they first access it does help avoid the taste.

I bought a wig. I'll post a picture this week when I'm hopefully feeling a bit more myself. I think the hat with the hair looks great! That seems a lot more convenient when stepping out for a moment. I'll have to get one in the future. I haven't had a paycheck for a while due to the oncologist's delay in completing my paperwork. I finally called my PCP and they completed it for me.

I'm also thankful for all of you! You may not realize how even a little comment that you wrote has been so helpful!

• Sadlynew2018
    Options

rabbit - that antsy and wired feeling. I had it too but on days 2 and 3. I couldn’t figure out what it was. If it was the steroid or compazine... although I think the latter maybe. I’m nervous for next time. Did you have the steroid amount the same time with #2? Has anyone decreased the amount of steroid? My nurse said she would “start with the most” and go from there. Ugh. I hated the wired feeling.

Sending happy thoughts to everyone today. Hope the sun is bright and the SEs out of sight (look at me rhyming). Hugs (()).

• RhosgobelRabbit
    Options

sadly new- yes steroids the same for me. They have me take 1 day after infusion then twice a day for day 3 and 4 after treatment. I hate the feeling but it does go away, I think it was the steroid because day 7 I took 1 compazine that day for mild nausea and didn't get that feeling. Haven't decreased my amount, kinda nervous to but may ask for round 3. The crap we have to deal with right? Enjoying some plantation mint tea and some poppyseed shortbread tonight, feels good to just "be" you know and sorta forget about the whole cancer thing at least for a short time. Thankful for all for sharing. It's good to be around those who know what it's like

• Sadlynew2018
    Options

yes. Yes yes. I know exactly how you feel. All day I am with my family and others. Most of whom don’t know. (My hubs and mom do). This afternoon and evening, I found my old camera lense and took candid pics of the kids. That sadness started to creep in, you know the one or hopefully maybe you don’t. The uncertainty of future. I quickly shoved it out of my head. Today was definitely a tougher emotional day. Not sure why. But returning to this blog. And feeling the strength. It just brings things back to perspective. Bought some ball caps today. My wig lady said she would sew some hair into it for me to match the wig. Maybe buying the hats triggered the sadness. Probably. Wow, this stuff takes so much from us. Going to plan the big shave Friday. Will be reading back the posts from the group on tips to handle it. I want to get it before it gets me ;-)

Sorry for rambling. Emotional day. But tomorrow is a new day.
  • RhosgobelRabbit
    Options

sadly new- yep I know that feeling, I have shoved it back more than once, the uncertainty of future, am I doing too much, too little etc. I will tell u I shaved my head the night before my first chemo. I felt so empowered doing it, because I took my hair myself I felt. Looking in the mirror the first time I was afraid at first, closing my eyes and then slowly opening them. I felt myself sorta get this “game face”. Like I’m doing battle damn it, I’m young I have a lot left I wanna do, I’m not taking this lying down, I’m gonna go kick some ass. I still have moments of those other feelings but find myself as I press forward actually looking forward to my future.

I find the emotional rollercoaster maybe the hardest but I find turning to humor and wit my outlet to being in the doldrums. Hang in there my butt kicking sister, your doing it, we will be on the other side of this crap in no time.

• Notgivingup
    Notgivingup Member Posts: 143
    Options

Sad- I did have a little but of a hard time buzzing my hair, but like Rad said, it is empowering. I am currently sitting on the couch head fully exposed and when I now look in the mirror I am very comfortable with how I look. I bought clip on earrings today because I want to wear earrings, (regular earrings irritate my ears).

My hubby and kids have adjusted to my buzzed head very well. My son (he is autistic) picked out what cap I wore today. He is handling all of this really well.

• Sadlynew2018
    Options

Rabbit - thank you - I needed that push. I am getting ready for Friday. Mentally. It will be day 11 and I think that will be the last day (based on what I’ve read). I’ve become so disengaged when it comes to doing my hair lately. It’s like I’m already disassociating myself with it. Weird. But I’ll take it.

I’m so proud of our round #2 ladies. Kicking butt and going strong. Hope this week is a good one for everyone. Let’s do this.
  • Fritzmylove
    Options

Today I went out in public with a head covering after buzzing my head yesterday. Luckily it’s cold here so I think most people didn’t even notice because it just looks like a warm hat.

I’m still paranoid about the PET scan results I talked about last week. Don’t know if that’ll ever go away. I made appointments to start seeing a therapist and psychiatrist this week. I’m not dealing with this mentally really at all.

• AMLmom51
    Options

Fritz tonight I'll be shaving my hair off down to an inch. Looking at everyone's timeline, I may start losing my hair this weekend. I'll shave it off completely then. It's getting cold here too, you're right about people just thinking hats are weather related. Ah, at least one perk.

It's good that you're going to get the mental health care that you need. I suggest further discussing your concerns with your doctor though. It's the doctor's job to answer questions that you have and to factually state his/her opinion.

A PET scan has never been mentioned to me. For you ladies who have had them, was there a specific reason? Do you live in or outside of the US?

• Fritzmylove
    Options

AML I had a PET scan done to rule out cancer spread to distant organs because my cancer has spread to the lymph nodes. All of my doctors say my PET is clear, but the wording worries me. I’m waiting on a call from my MO to finally clear things up for me and hopefully I can convince myself that they’re the experts and to leave it at that. Yes, I’m in the US.

• AMLmom51
    Options

Okay, that makes sense. BC hadn't spread to my lymph nodes. I definitely could understand your worry. I still wonder if anything is lurking. I have a cyst that was next to the lump that no one seems concerned about. That's good that you're requesting more detailed information.

Counseling will help. They have a support group at my cancer center, but I haven't been feeling well enough to go. I love this thread, being able to communicate with others going through the same thing at the same time has been so valuable.

Keep us updated. Sending prayers and hugs!!

• SisterStrong
    Options

Naplesali- I am so sorry to hear that you had a similar reaction to the Taxol. It defiantly was scary. I am feeling better with the chances that I will be able to continue with the Taxol. It is amazing how badly I just want to be able to do chemo. I am so happy to hear that you didn't have any issues with your 2nd treatment. I pray that continues for the both of us.

• JS0404
    JS0404 Member Posts: 12
    Options

I’m supposed to start chemo tomorrow, but it may be pushed back again :(. Yesterday I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy, so I have to see the cardiologist before I can move forward with treatment. I’m waiting for them to let me know if they can squeeze me in this afternoon, otherwise I’ll have to push treatment back to mid-November. I’m trying to stay positive, but the anxiety is brutal. I’m eager to get started, but every week it seems like there’s a new set back. Please send some positive vibes my way 😊😊😊
  • Fritzmylove
    Options

JS I’m so sorry you’re going through all of this!! I can’t imagine how frustrated you must be with all of the delays. I see you’re in Tinley Park. I’m in Aurora. What hospital are you going to? Is there any way you could find another hospital that could move things along quicker? There’s so many options in the Chicagoland area that I’d think someone would be able to get you in.