Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo October 2018

Options

Comments

• Pommom1809
    Pommom1809 Member Posts: 161
    Options

rabbit I was glad to hear from you, I, too check in here every so often to see what’s stewing. I have 8 rads to go & im finished. No cancer in my body anywhere, but there was a scare with a spot in my lung. Finally had another c-scan the other day. It’s not cancer!

Doris

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

hello ladies,

Any one knows about Goldilocks mastectomy. First, I was proposed doing lumpectomy because my surgeon said she see no difference in the outcome in regards to mastectomy. Then ps proposed doing Goldilocks mastectomy given that my breast are ddd where this procedure can replace mastectomy and reconstruction in one shot. It sounds good but I did not hear before about this and I am wondering if any of you had that. Thanks

• margun
    Options

Pommom- what are se during radiation therapy? Can one work while undergoing radiation. I had to stop during Ac.

• Pommom1809
    Options

Margin side effects are mostly skin involvement, like sunburn, blisters, etc.. I have 7 treatments to go with redness now & one itchy spot. There can be some fatigue, but mine has been minimal. I’d say you could easily work during radiation.

• Pommom1809
    Options

Rabbit I had the oncologist write a scrip for gabapentin today, but I’m kind of leery about taking it. All the warnings are scary. I start the Femara September 1.

I’m not out of the woods yet concerning the spots in my lung. Oncologist doesn’t know what the thing is in there. It’s kind of wispy looking. She said it could be cancer as she can’t biopsy it as it’s not a solid mass, but thinks it’s not cancer. Told husband it’s 50-50 chance.

Doris

• annie60
    annie60 Member Posts: 295
    Options

So good to hear from you all. Finished rads and am not too cooked. On to hormone inhibitor.

I, thanks to Rabbit's urging, am on gabapentin and it has helped tremendously. I can sleep now. I only take it at night but it has really helped. I do think it's getting better but just as soon as do HP again, it will get worse.

I need you, ladies. You have been my support and I am blessed to have you in my life.

Annie

• Pommom1809
    Options

Annie, glad to hear that. I asked the doctor for the gabapentin, but haven’t taken it yet. All the warnings & cautions kind of spooked me, but decided I would start it today. Your comment also helped me to decide.

Doris

• annie60
    Options

I am only taking 200 mg a night. My MO started me a very low dose of 100 a night and I can increase up to 300. He'll increase if needed. I haven't had any hang over effects in the morning and I usually do - headache, drowsy - but none of these have happened. I hope it helps.

Annie

• margun
    Options

hello ladies,

Any one knows about Goldilocks mastectomy. First, I was proposed doing lumpectomy because my surgeon said she see no difference in the outcome in regards to mastectomy. Then ps proposed doing Goldilocks mastectomy given that my breast are ddd where this procedure can replace mastectomy and reconstruction in one shot. It sounds good but I did not hear before about this and I am wondering if any of you had that. Thanks

• annie60
    Options

Never heard of this. Anyone?

• Notgivingup
    Notgivingup Member Posts: 143
    Options

I never heard of it.

• RhosgobelRabbit
    RhosgobelRabbit Member Posts: 502
    Options

I'm glad you'll give the gabapentin a try Doris, they start you out with very low doses...I'm only on 300mg at night and thats enough to give me neuropathy relief. I have no side effects from it at all other than a big reduction in nerve pain. I try not to read the side effects that come with the medications we take, I just read the ones on the bottle and the ones my MO advises me on. If I have symptoms outside those, I call and ask about them. I read the warning side effects for Mucinex and Tylenol once and scared myself and don't even think about reading all the chemo side effects/warnings....you'll pass out, lol. Everything comes with risk, which is why you just take what you need and no more. Don't be afraid, give it a whirl, I'd like to see you have some relief! :)

Annie I'm so glad you gave it a try and I am SOOOO glad its helping you. I'm glad I was proactive about asking for it so I could spread the news and help others get some relief. Just having the edge taken off our pain or whatever we are going through can improve how we get through each day :) You ladies are my safe place and you all totally get the nature of the beast we face. I am proud of how far we have all come, and YOU girl I'm so proud of you finishing Rads! Hot Chick! :)

Margun, yes I have heard of goldilocks surgery ( the effected area is taken out and the remaining tissue is kinda reworked to make a smaller boob with your own left over boob material, typically is good for larger chested ladies, its kinda like surgery and plastic surgery rolled into one) - have you decided to do this? Sounds interesting! My tumor was just too big to consider this and breasts weren't large enough I don't think. I'd be interested in hearing someone's experience going through this though.

Well...I MIGHT be in menopause....we're not sure yet...I just had my 2nd hormone bloodwork workup at my MO appointment a few days ago about 2 weeks following a 3 month dose of lupron and 2 previous 1 month injections. It looks like I might be but not sure so MO wants me to check with an endocrinologist and then also see OBGYN to talk about possible ovary removal if endo agrees not shutdown enough. Those appointments take place on the 30th and 31st...Happy Cancer Anniversary to me! lol. This feels exactly like where I was a yr ago today....I just cannot wait to start popping the pills I have staring at me on my dresser I cannot take yet....just want to be moving forward.....I hate this waiting/appoint/info gathering stage, been at that since mid May...let's get a move on dang it and stop messing with my mind! I told my MO I am frustrated. She gets it. But I know we are being careful about this for a reason so, just trying to hang in there.

In the meantime, I spread out a blanket for myself on the grass today in the shade, wore a long maxi dress that exposed my shoulders/upper chest/back and sunned myself. Played some oldie tunes to myself in my headphones from the 50's 60's and petted a purring neighbors cat who came over to visit. Watched some honeybees and butterflies, prayed away the wasps and hornets, admired the sky and enjoyed the light breezes as they came. Earlier in the day I was a heap on our bed, I looked and felt like a used tissue...Hubby had stayed back from work today because the seriousness of my situation hit him again and he had a rough night sleeping, as did I. It comes at him in waves, especially when the fear or sadness hit me and I cannot hide it, laugh it off or stop the tears. I made homemade fettuccine alfredo tonight for him to try and cheer him up....and me. The weekend awaits...as does lawn mowing and a cat tower....for our kitten Violet...lol...has enough toys...maybe...but now hubby thinks she needs a tower. Hubby brought me home about 5 different flavors of filled croissants the other day....poor guy...he just wants his "pookie to get better"...I wish I could grant his wish.

Love to all of you ladies :) PM box is always open :)

• Pommom1809
    Options

I have four more rads to go. My chest is pretty red, bud not uncomfortable. So far no blisters or peeling skin, doctor thinks I’m doing pretty well with the radiation. I’m back on the bonus for the last four appointments & today, but no more breath holding, hooray! I guess these last ones are the boosts.

I am cancer free at the moment, but I do have a spot in my lungs which they can’t figure out what it is. I have to keep waiting & watching to see if it turns cancerous. Such is the life of a cancer patient.

Rabbit I feel so bad for you. None of us deserve what we fell into, but you are such a young woman. Hopefully you will feel better sometime soon.

Sending you lots of love & prayers.

Doris

• Fritzmylove
    Fritzmylove Member Posts: 262
    Options

Hi all. It’s been a while since I checked in. Not doing so well these past few days. I just want my life to go back to how it was before cancer. I’m terrified. I don’t want my kids to have to grow up without a mom. I went to a wedding and it was hard. People talk so much about the future at weddings, and I don’t even know if I have one.

• annie60
    Options

Oh Fritz - I know how you feel. Things can be so hard. I get so scared trying to figure out if each new pain is something I should worry about or if it's nothing. We went junking on Saturday and by noon I had to come home. Will we ever get back to normal? DH and I signed up to do a November show with the things we make. We did the last one right after I was diagnosed. I worry - can I get things ready? Will I have the stamina to get things backed up, tagged, and ready? It's the first thing we planned out in the scary future. My sister is traveling all over the Northeast and I am so envious. It was the nicest summer we've had, and we were stuck doing radiation. But I am healing and hoping for the best - Hold your head up and try and have hope. We are here for you. No one understands unless they are living this.

Dori - Almost done with rads, right? I am so glad your skin held up and you are done holding your breath!

Rabbit - remember, I am in the chair tomorrow for HP. Messenger me is you have to wait a long time at the dr. I know this will be hard - I'm here if you need me.

Annie

• annie60
    Options

I had HP today. I talked with my MO and he does not think the HP is contributing to the neuropathy. He said it will take 6 months to a year for it to resolve. Crap! I've had two naps today thanks to benadryl and adivan. I have started walking on a regular basis and am up to a mile. My MO says this will help the neuropathy and is proven to help prevent a recurrence of bc. He is waiting to start me on the Hormone blocker until I've had a chance to heal from rads. I'm tired. Very tired. I'm not sure I could have started something new with new SE's.

Annie

• Newfromny
    Newfromny Member Posts: 108
    Options

Annie, My MO also says my neuropathy isn’t from HP but it seems to get worse with each treatment, so I don’t know, good for you walking a mile I need to walk more. Started on my AI yesterday, anastrozole, I’m nervous of the SEs but I’m hoping for the best. I finished rads on June 10th.

• annie60
    Options

I hope it goes well. I worry about the SE's, also. Today, the PA said if the hot flashes got to bad, she had a blood pressure med that would help. I worry about weight gain. I am not a small person and can not afford more weight.

Annie

• Notgivingup
    Options

Hi All!

Just got back from appointments with my surgeon and my MO. All good here. I got my mammogram and ultrasound on the right breast today. It was a busy day there.

I will be going into a clinical trial very soon. It's not for immunotherapy, but for dense breast. That trial will last about 9 months. After I complete that one I will be put into another trial.

Both doctors said I look great and that they couldn't tell that I had radiation. I'm happy about that.

I hope everyone is doing well!

• Pommom1809
    Options

I finished radiation today, I’m done until my check up in September. I see the oncologist in October & a few other appointments, but basically I’m finished with the cancer treatments. My cancer is totally gone.

Dori

• Notgivingup
    Options

Congratulations Doris! Now take some time and relax!

• Fritzmylove
    Options

Great news Doris!!!

• annie60
    Options

I am so happy for you!!

Annie

• RhosgobelRabbit
    RhosgobelRabbit Member Posts: 502
    Options

I am so happy for Doris and Notgivingup's good news! Congrats on finishing rads Doris, woo hoo! :)

My Fritz, I totally get that statement of wanting things to go back to the way things were before cancer. You've been quiet, but i understand why and I wanted you to have the space you needed knowing you'd check in again when you were ready. I understand that were I am now in the scheme of things represents where you ladies fear to trend and I pray everyday no more of us go this direction. My ears are open all the time about different trials and additional treatment options for early stagers that I can pass along to you all. I kinda worry about saying the wrong things or sharing too much with you ladies. If I can ever be helpful or help alleviate any worry, I'm available!

This might be sort of a strange statement, because nobody wishes for progression, but when I was diagnosed Stage 4, I was happy in a way that Patrice wouldn't be alone in this anymore.

As far as pain is concerned and being worried about if it means something, my MO explained it to me this way. If I have any pain that keeps increasing in intensity over a week or two and it does not respond to over the counter pain meds or remedies and keeps returning, I am to bring this to her attention. Doesn’t mean it’s anything, I just need to speak up about it.Thats how I monitor my pain, including headaches etc, if it responds to tylenol, doesn't get worse, doesn't keep coming back over and over, I know I don't need to be worried.

I'm still in the waiting game, my endo appt got rescheduled because of family emergency on the doctor's part so try again on the 6th. By the end of next week I'm hoping to be popping some pills!

Take care ladies!! :)

• Notgivingup
    Options

Rabbit- I hope you get to start your medication soon. The sooner you start, the sooner we can get together!

Btw ladies, rabbit and I are very close to another, so we plan to meet when she is ready. I am so excited!!!

Has anyone heard from Antigone? I sent her a pm and e-mailed her, but haven't heard from her.

Love to you all!!!!!

• Pommom1809
    Options

rabbit, I like to hear from you so I know how you are. I worry about my news because some of you are having worse problems. I still have a sword hanging over my head with the spot in my lung. Oncologist says she doesn’t know what it is, there is a 50-50 chance of it turning cancerous. So everyone keeps fingers crossed that it’s an infection or inflammation.

Hope everyone is hanging in there & has some happiness in their life.

Dori

• Fritzmylove
    Options

Rabbit, thank you for the info about pain. My mind goes straight to doom and gloom any time I have any weird symptom. Please don't feel like you need to sensor yourself. We are all here for the same reason: to love and support one another no matter what.

Doris, I will be praying whatever is going on in your lung is benign.

I got my clinical trial pills... either aspirin or placebo, and I can start taking them today. I just need to record what time I take them every day, which I'm sure will become extremely annoying. I also scheduled my exchange surgery for September 25. Curious to find out how different implants will feel compared to these TEs. I hope my PS picks some good ones. He said he'll bring a few different sizes in with him and will go with whatever ones look and fit the best in the pocket.

• Pommom1809
    Options

fritz thanks for your prayers that means a lot.

I was stung by a honeybee this past Saturday. I mixed up some baking soda & water to apply to sting. That fixed me up, but I had a weird reaction. Where the baking soda mixture touched my hands it left a yellow residue on my hands. Has anyone else had a reaction like this? I’m thinking it was chemo crap coming out

Doris

• annie60
    Options

I've been stung by a red wasp and a yellow jacket. I, too, used baking soda and water. No yellow residue on my hands.

How's the neuropathy? Did you start gabapentin? Did it help? I was at my daughter's this weekend and unlike home,

Annie

• Pommom1809
    Options

Annie I started the gabapentin a few weeks ago. It doesn't seem to have had any affect on my neuropathy so far. I no longer have the stabbing pains, but still have to have the feeling of walking on rocks. Also, in the evening feels like my feet are wrapped in duct tape.

Other than that I'm feeling pretty good. Have a lot on my plate at the moment with this big event that my organization holds onLabor Day weekend. Trying to slowly get involved, but it's not easy as I'm pretty involved with it. Trying to make a new gown before then to wear, don't know if I'll get it done in time.

Dori