Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo October 2018

Options

Comments

• Pommom1809
    Pommom1809 Member Posts: 161
    Options

Annie60, I’m getting my strength back a little more & my taste buds are just about back to normal. Baked goods like cakes, pies, breads, etc. still taste bad, but it’s getting a little better.

My neuropathy is no better, but I’m getting used to it. It gives me the most trouble in the evening, very uncomfortable. My husband still rubs my feet every night, this helps a little.

Baby steps in the path to good health.

Doris

• RhosgobelRabbit
    RhosgobelRabbit Member Posts: 502
    Options

Hello all :) Laying sorta low these days. Trying to keep busy, mentally and physically. I healed quickly from my oophorectomy, much better recovery wise than my mastectomy. Never had to take any pain meds or anything, tho I didn't either for my mastectomy. While it wasn't comfortable, quite uncomfortable for a time actually, I just never felt that it was bad enough that i needed to take anything, no narcotics, not even tylenol. Works for me! "Pain" and "in the Ass" are no more! A few days ago I got a phone call with the pathology for my ovary removal. They did biopsies of everything they took out because my mom is Stage 4 ovarian. Pathology came back benign, I have PCOS so there were some tiny cysts found on right ovary, not surprising and not cancerous, So all clear!

I recently had a monologue with my little turdlets scattered throughout my body. I decided to let them know that I had their number and that number is 1-800-take-a-hike-you-stupid-pieces-of-crap-im-going-to-send-a-bear-to-smite-your-blanking-ass-you-shit. :) Mountain lions don't like bears or being called pieces of crap, so I'm hoping this two birds with one stone approach of mine might send them into retreat :)

I recently had a CT scan on the 9th, which i get results from on the 22nd. My first scan since May, to see where I am. Treatment had been delayed due to stubborn ovaries, then all the waiting to get a consult and then a surgery date. And now that I'm recovered I'm good to go with starting Ibrance next week after my bone Scan. I've been on Aromasin since a couple days after surgery because we needed surgical menopause in order for me to start that, as chemical wasn't cutting it. So far so good. I take it mid day with lunch and that's been working. I'm definitely going to ask to know results of these scans a couple days after having them going forward, waiting this long inbetween is really torturous. Hoping for stability, regression and no more progression.

Doris, that is wonderful news concerning your sister, no nodes and clear margins is wonderful news, I'm sure your invaluable during this time to help her get through this. I hope your doing well and everyday headed toward more "normalcy". :)

Love to all you ladies and those following :)

• SmilingDawn
    SmilingDawn Member Posts: 27
    Options

I just want to encourage those who are currently going through chemo, there is life aftwerwards! I completed 6 rounds of AC and 12 rounds of Taxol on Feb 2nd of this past year, and 30 rounds of radiation. My hair has returned. I had it buzzed shortly after I completed chemo to get the grow out even, then had a trim in August. I have no long term side effects from chemo and about a month after radiation ended, I started feeling my 100% energetic old self.
    I continued to run through chemo, as much as I could (on the good days!), and have resumed running races, just finishing a half marathon last weekend and I will be running one next weekend.
    My husband and I took a trip out west and into Canada and climbed one of the scariest hiking trails, the Crypt Lake Trail, and to me it was a celebration of what I have overcome.
    Hang in there ladies! Attitude is a little thing that makes a HUGE difference! Stay focused on your blessings, and on positive things, especially when things get rough!

• AntigoneResurrected
    Options

You all are still here! *sniffle*

And the pictures! look at how beautiful you all are! I've missed you all so much! I was just telling notgivingup in a message how sorry I was to be gone so long, but work life and home life and treatment life have been absolutely awful these last months.

I finished my OXEL trial (immunotherapy) this past Tuesday (had my last blood draw), but I learned yesterday that both oncologist (trial, and "regular") are strongly recommending that I move forward with Xeloda. So I have 4-6 more months of chemo in my future. Now I'm just waiting on insurance to approve the pills, and then I'll start that regimen. I'm just...tired. I've been in treatment for more than a year now and, like many of you probably are, I'm just TIRED.

I'm going to try to take some time tonight and this weekend to catch up on what I've missed these past few months, but I do want to say that I've missed you all terribly, and I'm hoping hoping hoping that what I read is good news for all of you.

• annie60
    annie60 Member Posts: 295
    Options

Antigone - So happy to hear from you!!! I have missed you. Sounds like you have been through the ringer. I hate that you have to continue with more treatments. I have four more HP's ending up in January and the five years of AL. So far, I'm handling Letrozole pretty good.

Please let us hear from you. Good luck with Xeloda.

Annie

• Notgivingup
    Notgivingup Member Posts: 143
    Options

Antigone!!!!!! Omg! I have missed you! I am sorry that you have had it rough. Also sorry that you have to take Xeloda. Glad that you finished your clinical trial. I am currently in the middle of one now. Only a few more months. Catch up on all the reading and we will "talk" soon!

• RhosgobelRabbit
    Options

Hello ladies!! 3 days until I get my week off Ibrance. (3 weeks one, 1 week off, rinse, repeat ) I finally have some symptoms to report! First one, GAS, I'm talking firework extravaganza finale on the 4th of July type sounds coming from my body. Almost feel like I need to strap on one of those giant gator swamplands navigating fans to my back to keep air circulating around me so i don't cause someone to pass out or something, definitely not Chanel #5 coming from my behind I'll tell you that much. I feel the cheeks on my face balloon up everytime a blast hits me- I'm making myself gag. My poor husband, my poor cats, I swear I scared one of my cats the other day. "What the heck is that noise Mother?!" Second one is teeny little sores on the tip of my tongue. Not bad, but there and alittle sore and annoying, I'm trying the yogurt trick to see if that helps, I take my Ibrance and Aromasin with lunch and am chasing it down with some yogurt, see if that helps with the sores and of course I'm trying to keep my mouth clean like I did with AC chemo. Curious to see what the week off is like, think it will give me a clearer picture of what a cycle is like :)

Antigone!!! So good to see you! :) I hear ya on being tired, feeling that myself but hoping Xeloda is kind to you as you continue with treatment. Hope you continue to check in as much as you can even tho your juggling multiple hats. You've been missed!!

To report on my CT-Scan beginning of Oct. CT showed no progression in my chest, abdomen, or pelvis, everything pretty much as stayed the same. I was pretty loaded anyways in the bones so to have nothing further there and nothing in my organs was a relief. HOWEVER, we are investigating a problem with my pituitary gland, possible pituitary gland mets. My blood panels had showed normal function coming from there until that changed right around when bone mets were found for me. The rush then became getting my ovaries out as my bone biopsy came back 95% ER and 95%PR. It was still Her2- so my mets that were biopsied were still VERY hormone driven just like my original breast cancer biopsy. So the goal was then to get the foot off the gas pedal and get the brakes on aka get the ovaries out and put this new revelation on the backburner. My ovaries were not shutting down chemically despite multiple tries. Without shutdown ovaries I couldn't take an AI and without an AI I couldn't take Ibrance....sooooo...yeah was a crazy few months. My MO really wanted ovaries out and me getting to start on treatment before we took the next step and did further investigation. All healed up from oopherectomy and almost done with 1st cycle of Ibrance...So on the 11th, I am visiting the endocrinologist I'm being sent to look into whats going on with my pituitary, and then see MO on the 14th to check my counts during off week of Ibrance and talk about next steps. Everything can be very overwhelming sometimes. Lots of emotionally difficult days, but pushing through them as best I can. Still get Zometa monthly, my last one was Nov 1st, so my next is scheduled for Dec 3rd. I will try and keep my reports as lighhearted as I can, I know others are starting treatment and I know I lurked around before AC+T started for me, so i don't want to scare anyone with whats happened to me. Stage 4 isn't an easy diagnosis to hear, but I'm about 6 months into it now and I'm still here even with big delays :)

Love to all you ladies and followers - Cycling on :)

Oct/2019 Getting some good hair growth now :)
  • RhosgobelRabbit
    Options

I forgot my traditional funny....I've had this movie in my thoughts lately, i which this clip included the whole courtroom scene, i love the judge lol :)

• Notgivingup
    Options

I just want to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

• annie60
    Options

I hope everyone made it through Thanksgiving without getting too worn out. I'm pooped. I'm not sure I will ever get my energy back. Thinking about seeing a PT and dietitian for some help. This Thanksgiving was better. Seems like we just can't have a no stress holiday anymore, though. My son is finally doing well, I was much better this year, but now my daughter is having marital problems. There goes my stress level.

I realize Letrozole is making me extra emotional - but right now I just want to go to bed and pull the covers over my head. Cancelling Christmas would be just fine. Boy, do I sound Grinchy!

Annie, aka the Grinch

• RhosgobelRabbit
    Options

Have yourself a Merry Little Hotflash
    Let your sheets be dry
    Let all fans blow down upon you from on high
    And have yourself
    A Merry little hot flash now

From now on your estrogens depleted
    Let your emotions rage
    Throw all scales away those bastards lie
    And have yourself
    a Merry Little Hot Flash now

Merry Christmas All!!! :):)

• Pommom1809
    Options

just catching up after Thanksgiving. My taste buds are my own now which is wonderful! I’m still having the neuropathy problems with my feet & hands. Nothing has change with that. The other day I noticed my left hand was quite swollen, hour later the swelling was gone. It came back the next day, but didn’t last long. That was where I had wrist surgery when I broke my wrist.

my iron bra is still pretty tight, but compression from a bra seems to help. I don’t have one on at the moment & I feel pain across my chest & under my arms. I hate to complain all the time, but I need a place to rant. I told the radiologist’s NP about the pain in my right shoulder. I asked why it was such a big deal to keep them notified, she stated pain could mean more cancer! I never thought about that happening. My husband looked like a spotlighted deer, his face had such a shocked look!

Trying to get ready for Christmas, we didn’t have much of a Christmas last year. No tree, dinner or family so I did some decorating. Tomorrow I’m thinking Toll House cookies or fruit cake, depends on my energy level.

Glad to see some of the members still hanging in there. Have as Merry Christmas as you all can

• annie60
    Options

So good to hear from you. These SE's that won"t go away are so frustrating. I am typing with one finger since the neuropathy is so bad. Add the pain from my AI, which has affected my hands and feet along with my back, and some days i can barely move. I can't believe you were told it could be cancer - did you call your MO? I hate that we think ever new pain might be c. are you going for a scan?

We are ready for Christmas except for some last minute cooking. I do some, rest, do a little more, take a nap,,,,, thank goodness i retired.

Merry Christmas!

Annie

• Notgivingup
    Options

I want to wish you all a Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays! Hope you are all enjoying time with your families!

• annie60
    Options

Merry Christmas to all of you!!

• Pommom1809
    Options

Annie60, I’m having lots of pain in my left armpit & in the chest area near there. Just started about a week ago. My finger tips are really numb & painful at the same time. My left hand is swelling badly, the one with the repaired wrist. I’m beginning to think cording is setting in as my left arm is getting tight. Just when I thought things were going well. This is the side which was radiated.

I’m scheduled for a scan in February as they are still watching the spot on my lung. I hope everyone is doing well. Happy New Year!

Doris

• annie60
    Options

Doris - Did you call the radiologist? I think you should get it checked. Let me know .

Finished my next to the last HP today. One more on January 21. On this day last year, I was doing the dreaded 4th A/C. Today was way easier - but the fluids made me so cold. I am under a heated blanket.

I still can not feel my fingers on the right hand and none of my toes. The burning and pain come and go. MO told me I had to be patience. I am fresh out. I wonder how others are regaining strength. I am so much better but not where I would like to be.

Happy New Year Warriors!!!

• Pommom1809
    Options

Annie60, I was wondering who I should contact, thanks for giving me a start on who to go to about these problems. I know how you feel about patience, the lack of feeling in my feet, then my feet are painful! My oncologist keeps telling me it could take three years to go away.

i did get a call yesterday to schedule the scans that I need for next month. One is to check on the lung spot, the other to keep tabs on the plaque in my aorta. I’m getting my strength back just not as much as I used to have. I do surprise myself when I’m listening to music & start dancing without panting!

I had a root canal yesterday morning, part of my on going dental work so that I can start Reclast for my bones.

Dori

• annie60
    Options

Doris - How's your mouth? One of our group just told me that letrozole may hurt my teeth. I am so sick of all the SE's with the meds. I think if I quit the AI my hands and feet would feel better. My joints hurt so bad right now. I don't think this is ever going to end. I'm so sorry you are still suffering. How did your scans go? Please stay in touch.

Annie

• annie60
    Options

I am finally done! Had my last HP yesterday!! Still have to get through the 5 years of AL. But I am so glad to be done with HP.

Annie

• Notgivingup
    Options

Annie- I am so proud of you! You did it! I hope you are celebrating finally being finished.

• annie60
    Options

I had friends drive 5 hours one way to bring me balloons, cake and hugs yesterday. I have all of this group to thank for getting me through this. I wanted to quit so many times and you all talked me into keeping on. Thank you from my heart.

Annie

• joules44
    joules44 Member Posts: 52
    Options

Hello all! I haven't been on here in ages but I knew this would be the place to go for this question. So I finished my treatment in October of last year and went last week for a 3-month follow up. My blood work is still showing my lymphocytes and monocytes out of normal range. Has anyone else experienced this? My doctor said my blood work looked good but when I saw the results later I was disappointed to be out of normal range for those 2 markers. Maybe this is normal 3 months out?

• annie60
    Options

Those two things are always out of the normal range for me. My MO always says my blood work looks great. Wonder what it means?

Annie

• Pommom1809
    Options

Annie60 so sorry raptor keep you hanging. Saw my oncologist this past Tuesday, told her about my arm, etc. she sent me to get an ultrasound & CT scan of my chest. The ultrasound didn’t show any problems in my arm area, but it’s getting stiff. It’s really sore, but I think she was just looking for tumor.

Not so good with the CT scan. It showed that the area in the lung was smaller & seemed to be better. However there are cyst like things in my spleen that were not there before. So now they are going to schedule me for a Pet scan as soon as possible. Oncologist said the breast cancer could be spreading or it could be nothing.
    I may be switching the Letrozole because I’m having the pain in my legs, etc..

I’m in the middle of packing for our 6 week trip to Florida. I will be on tenterhooks until this is resolved.

Doris

• annie60
    Options

Doris - I am so sorry. It always feels like something is about to happen, doesn't it? My back is killing me and I think the letrozole is making my neuropathy worse. I have been doing a lot of research and found that Cymbalta - you can get generic - is recommended for chemo induced neuropathy and a lot of people are getting relief from the joint pain from meds like letrozole. I talked to my MO and will start tomorrow on a low dose. I will do anything to stop hurting I can't imagine hurting like this for the next 5 years. What's the point in beating cancer if you are miserable?

I am praying the cyst are not cancer - please let me know how you are. You are in my thoughts a lot.

I hope you can relax and enjoy Florida. I know there is no way to put this out of your mind. When do you expect to know?

Annie

• Pommom1809
    Options

Annie60 they have to call me to set up the pet scan. It was too late Friday to book the appointment so they should be calling me Monday. We are leaving the 16th for Florida so it should be soon.

I looked up cancer of the spleen, not good at all, scares me.

Doris

• annie60
    Options

I looked it up, also. I am praying this is not what you are dealing with. I know you are scared beyond belief. I hope you can relax and enjoy Florida. I wish I was going. The SE's from the letrozole are horrible. I want to quit so bad.

Deep breaths. We can do this. (This what I tell myself over and over - it's not working!)

Annie

• Pommom1809
    Options

Annie I’m trying the best I can by being in denial. My motto is to think no news is good news. They are trying to rush the PET scan so I can get going on our vacation. The Letrozole is miserable & the neuropathy isn’t any better.

Doris

• RhosgobelRabbit
    Options

Pommom/Doris, Just checking in with you. Haven't posted here in a long while, wanted to see how your PET turned and to make sure your okay. Check in when you can, thinking of you! :)