Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo October 2018

Options

Comments

• joules44
    joules44 Member Posts: 52
    Options

Sadlynew, so glad you watched The C Word! Such a great documentary! Have you read Crazy Sexy Cancer or seen the doc? Again, very empowering. Rereading the book has helped lift my spirits when I'm starting to go downhill.

JS0404, I realized along the way that each of our journeys is unique and they never seem to be a straight path. I would dread those calls too, dread the test results that would only lead to more tests or biopsies or surgeries. Expect the unexpected has become my norm. But we will find the strength to get through this as thousands have done before us.

Fritz, that is AMAZING about the shrinking of your tumor! So glad to hear some tangible evidence of the fierce nectar working!

It has been 2 days since my first infusion and I think I'm doing a little better today than yesterday, with the exception of a constant headache. I'm wondering if the SE build week after week as the chemo does its thing. Maybe I'll check out the September chemo board to see how they're doing a month in. Stay strong, warriors!

• annie60
    annie60 Member Posts: 295
    Options

I had a port surgery today. I am sore but not too bad. I see my MO tomorrow and hopefully get a schedule of when I start treatments.

hapa - You did radiation during your herceptin treatment? If my MO would approve that I could be through with treatment in 2019 instead of rolling into 2020.

That would be one less insurance deductible to meet and hopefully I could get on with the rest of my life.

• Sadlynew2018
    Sadlynew2018 Member Posts: 173
    Options

joules - awesome! I will add that one to my list. I’ve felt so empowered since watching them. To think I may have some control of the future, whether true or not, gives me so much hope. Thanks for the recommendation!

Annie - sorry you are sore but glad it’s not too bad. I can understand wanting to start treatment too!

Cc - good luck tomorrow!

Wishing everyone a great Thursday night and weekend!
  • RhosgobelRabbit
    RhosgobelRabbit Member Posts: 502
    Options

Fritz- that is such awesome news about ur tumor shrinking *happy dance*. Tho I haven’t medical verification yet I can feel mine shrinking already by feel, much softer I felt it separating from some skin it’s tugging on too. To see and feel results of the battle scars is uplifting.

Sadly new- u have inspired me to not be afraid of the word cancer and look into those documentaries , I realize I don’t have to be afraid, life moves on and I have choices ahead of me.

Cc- good luck on your next treatment!! Your doing it!

Patrice my warrior in crime, hope your doing ok as u ready for #2 and me for #3 next week. Sometimes I really do think this “Poison!” Kicks my butt, but today I think I’ve gotten to the other side awaiting the joys coming to me round 3 *deep sarcasm

Not giving up - thinking of u, u got this girl, keep rockin red!

Feeling much more like myself today day9 post 2nd AC. Do it all over again 25th, 3/4 of the way done sounds good to me! Woo!

• Notgivingup
    Notgivingup Member Posts: 143
    Options

Long day yesterday with all the appointments. It was all good. My surgeon couldn't find the tumor! She was very happy at how I was doing.

Next was my chemo infusion. My numbers were really good (on the high side). It took 3 hours for everything. While finishing up chemo met with the social worker.

After chemo had my appointment with MO. It was hard to find my tumor, but she did find it. To everyone's surprise, it went from 2.5 cm to about 1cm after 1 round of chemo. They are all impressed. Going to take it easy today and rest up a bit. I am only up because of constantly being in the bathroom and I had to get my son up to go to his day program.

I hope everyone is doing well. I am happy that I have 2 done. They still are not sure if I am doing 4 or 6 treatments. So I am either 1/2 or 1/3 of the way done!

• PatriceL
    PatriceL Member Posts: 58
    Options

Good morning my fellow fighters, hope you're all feeling strong and fierce, especially those who were poisoned this week. Hydrate! Eat! Rest! Repeat! Gooooo team !

Off week for me, had 2 MRI's, biopsy on 4 different sites (2 on each breast), echo test and appointment with MO. See how I pack my off week with super fun activities? That's how I roll. Found a suspicious spot in hip bone, PET and MRI can't give clear answer as to what it is, so next is a biopsy of the bone. And an ultrasound guided pelvic exam, fibroids and polyps suspected after exam of MRI. I am so over being poked and prodded and scanned and missing hours of work. My breasts are literally purple from biopsy on Monday. For some reason, I bruised terribly this go round. Boo hoo.

Asked MO about constant headache post treatment, she thinks it's steroid/ anti-nausea combo. Suggests Tylenol.

I will give you all this bit of advice- get up and go for a walk. I know, i know, when you feel like absolute shit and just wanna lie down and cry, that advice sounds ridiculous. I was nearly forced at gunpoint to get up and walk for an hour or so, and i was a huge bitch about it, lemme tell you! But, i felt 100% better afterwards. So much better. Bundle up and go if you can, please. It helps so very much.

Look at all of us, marching on, knocking out these treatments like the amazing warriors we are. One more down, bring on the next! We learn from each other what to expect and how to fight thru the se's together. Nobody else gets us or can truly empathize like we can. I am so proud of you all, humbled by your strength, thrilled with your sarcasm and humor, and awe struck by your compassion for one another. You gorgeous ladies are the bomb-diggity and appreciate each one of you.

The voice whispered "you cannot withstand the storm "

She whispered back " I am the storm "

Go be the storm, darlings.

• Fritzmylove
    Fritzmylove Member Posts: 262
    Options

Patrice I’ll definitely be thinking about you as you complete all these tests! It seems like as soon as you think you can move past the testing phase, something new comes up.

I’m in the same boat as you with something they can’t tell what it is. MO says he’s 90% sure it’s not cancer, but the 10% is always on my mind. Not much else we can do other than complete chemo and do another PET at the end but even then we still won’t 100% know what they’re seeing on my back. So we power on. Trying to stay optimistic.

We are warriors. We will conquer this!!

• Notgivingup
    Options

Patrice- you have had a busy week. I am sitting on my couch in my pajamas reading your post and it made me realized I need to get dressed and go for a walk. So thank you. Sorry you have been poked and prodded this week. Hopefully you will heal well.

Love having this wonderful group who gets it. I am in awe of how strong we all are for ourselves and for each other.

Ok going to get dressed and go for a walk!

• joules44
    Options

In The C Word documentary, they said that 30 minutes of moderate exercise, like walking, 6 days a week lessens the chance of breast cancer recurrence by 40%!! So, Patrice, I'm with you and I'm walking every day! Seems like the easiest "medicine" I've heard about yet. Wish we could all walk together!

• Ccaxt
    Ccaxt Member Posts: 60
    Options

Round 2 DONE! Doc approved no steroids this time...I was super stoked. Until....I started thinking. What if I get an allergic reaction? What if I get nausea this time? So, had way more anxiety then last time. It's so fun being me sometimes. Lol But, I'm feeling ok. A little sleepy. Hopeful I do ok without them but I have some at home if necessary:)

I had a new nurse this time. My other one ended up showing up to do my iv. Long story short...I just ended up with my old nurse the whole time. I think the new one quit on me. Lol

Joules....wouldn't that be wonderful! I think that often. Wish we were all neighbors. Haha

Patrice...OMG! Are these new tests or repeats? I got so tired of going here and there and back here for all the testing. Sending good vibes for good results!

Notgivingup....what AWESOME news! I felt a little defeated when I had my exam today. Tumor still the same size. Ugh. But she did say it was soft (im assuming that's good and my lymph node was really hard to find, so that's good. (It was pretty large b4)

Rad...same to you...GREAT news on the tumor shrinking!

Annie...hope you got your treatment plan in place! It gets easier once you have a plan.

Sadlynew...checking in :) Hope your enjoying your week off and feeling good!

Oh, and on a side note. My name is Casey. Just feels weird people calling me cc. Lol I know we have these screen names for security but I like to live on the edge! Haha

Have a great weekend everyone!

• SisterStrong
    SisterStrong Member Posts: 43
    Options

My thoughts are with all of you and hope that you all are able to get answers to your questions. I need to listen and try to go for a walk each night I had a fairly busy day today. The day started with getting my hair shaved. The lady that did it was so kind and funny. She helped with the entire process. It is going to take a little getting used to. I got a few hats today too I have never been comfortable in hats so I probably will just wear them at home but they are super cute. I wish I had the confidence to wear them out in public. My husband and kids have been so wonderful. My daughter is 13 and my son is 19. Then I went for my second treatment. My numbers looked good and I am happy to say that i didn’t have a reaction this time. I am feeling pretty good with the exception of some numbness in my right foot and i am very tired. They doubled the ammount of Benadryl and Steroids since I i had such a bad reaction last time and they slowed the rate down but it was worth it because all went well.

I pray that everyone has a good week. I am glad thatwe have each other. I am in awe of the strength from each and every one of you

• Newfromny
    Newfromny Member Posts: 108
    Options

The women here are so strong, I hope I can be, I’m set to start chemo on October 26th but right now I’m an emotional mess. My son and daughter in law just had a baby a week ago and I haven’t told them yet what’s going on with me I don’t want to ruin this happy time for them. Had a pet scan yesterday, good except, and there’s always an except, something they want to look further at on a bone scan. It really is hard to deal with this, but my husband has been great

• annie60
    Options

You all are such an inspiration! I start chemo on Tuesday. Communication with my MO's office is difficult. I hope we got things straight today.

Newfromny - looks like we are starting this about the same time. Good luck!

• JS0404
    JS0404 Member Posts: 12
    Options

I FINALLY had my first round of AC today! It wasn't too bad. I got a well needed nap lol. So far, I've only had a headache, two hot flashes and slight nausea. I took the pill that they told me to take, but I'm not quite sure if it's working or not. I'm a little tired, but I think that's mostly because I've been back and forth to the doctor everyday this week and my anxiety has kept me from sleeping well.

Hope you amazing ladies have a great weekend!

• obaoluwabbc
    obaoluwabbc Member Posts: 2
    Options

After August annual mammo, ultrasound and biopsy that delivered the diagnosis of invasive ductal carcinoma left breast with clinical presentation of inflammatory breast cancer, ER/PR + and HER2 - with lymph node involvement. Finally got all tests done. breast MRI, ct chest, abdomen, and pelvis, lymph nodes biopsy, bone scan, 2d echo. I feel like a guinea pig in a lab. Now scheduled to start chemo next week. 4 cycles of AC every two weeks followed by 12 weekly Taxol. still sore from port placement yesterday Thursday. not looking forward to it but this is battle plan. we got to win this battle ladies. wish everyone victory.

• annie60
    Options

I had a port placed yesterday. Tonight my face is on fire - like I'm wind burned or sun burned. Has anyone else experienced this? I have no fever.

• joules44
    Options

Annie, I had my port placed Monday and my face was really flushed the next day but I had my first infusion so i assumed it was the chemo, or the steroids they give me prior. Maybe they gave you steroids when they placed the port to prevent inflammation?

• joules44
    Options

So I had Taxol/Herceptin on Tuesday and I've had terrible acid reflux since then. Reminds me of being pregnant, lol. Has anyone else experienced this?

• Nothappytobehere
    Nothappytobehere Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi! I’m new here. Starting my chemo regimen Monday Oct 22nd. 12 weeks of taxol and herceptin. Er+ and Her2+ with a check2 mutation. I was diagnosed with DCIS ON July 19th after two biopsies. Double mastectomy on Aug 13th that revealed I had seven additional spots of invasion that changed me to Stage 1 IDC. DIEP flap reconstruction phase one was done Aug 17. 9 weeks post op and feeling great just ready to start this next thing and someone sent me a link suggesting this thread! Any and all advice welcome! Thank you in advance! 

• Sadlynew2018
    Sadlynew2018 Member Posts: 173
    Options

Jess - that was me! So glad you found it. This group is full of strength and a whole lot of butt kicking. I think a few have the same regimen as you. I’m sure they will chime in to :-). Hugs.

Cc / (now Casey!) yay!! You are halfway through AC. I’m jealous!!! I’m also April (name). Good for you for taking charge of the meds for side effects. I’m hoping it all works out. Even if you feel super nauseous, you have the steroids you can take. I know you will kick butt this weekend. Keep us posted! My second is next Wednesday. I’m meeting with my MO before and will be asking to lower the “jitters” I received. Sending good vibes your way.

Fritz - ugh. That would frustrate me so much. But it sounds consistent with doctors generally. No guarantees - just opinions? He/she probably wants to say 100% but maybe can’t. I’m sending hugs and good vibes your way. We can keep marching forward and kicking butt.

Patrice - wow!!! Busy week!! Thanks for the motivating words on exercising. I used to work out and really haven’t since the diagnosis and surgery. I need to get out and walk. Your motivating words helped me to remember that.
  • pcranky
    pcranky Member Posts: 81
    Options

Hi Joules - just popping in from the September group to say that they give me Pepcid with the infusion for taxol and i still get reflux from it sometimes. Someone in the weekly tAxol group recommended probiotics and said they helped her with it. Run it by your MO and see.

• CaliKelly
    CaliKelly Member Posts: 198
    Options

Hi kiddo, you sound great, positive outlook greatly helped me! I actually finished neo adjuvant chemo in 2015. The advice I wish I'd had, couple of things, get a wig in advance, drink lots of water, have bland food available. Weirdest thing for me was how strange food tasted after a while, nothing tasted like it was supposed to. So I wanted food with little taste. I never threw up, but if you feel nauseous take the meds. First day of every cycle not too bad, just boring! 2nd day ok, then I'd feel kind of rotten for a few days, flu like, then a week of like getting over the flu, then a week of feeling fine before you get to start all over! I liked to be alone on infusion day, but lots of people want company. I would read and try to sleep. Not as fun as it sounds😉, but do-able! Good luck,and best wishes!💖

• Fritzmylove
    Options

Good morning all! I hope everyone enjoys their weekend. I’ve started doing yoga and it has really helped with my mood and general body aches from being so immobile from depression and anxiety. I used to be an avid exerciser pre-dx so my body has been suffering. I definitely would recommend yoga to everyone. There are so many videos on YouTube. Some poses are a bit challenging with a port, but doable.

My 2nd TAC chemo is Monday and I’m so ready to get back in that chair. If it wouldn’t kill me, I’d do chemo 24 hours a day for the whole 15 weeks because it makes me feel like I’m actively doing something to fight this beast! The wait in between treatments has been hard. Physicall necessary, but mentally difficult for me.

• PatriceL
    PatriceL Member Posts: 58
    Options

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend, most especially those who had treatment this week. Don't forget- drink way more water than you think is necessary, eat a little bit as often as you can (even if it's just a small something, eat eat eat) and take your Claritin if you are getting Neulasta. Be kind to yourselves, remember that this too shall pass.

Hi, Casey and April! I'm Patrice. 😊 Super creative with my screen name, right?

I took the sage advice of our dear Fritz and got my yoga on this morning. Gotta say, I really enjoyed it. Found a beginner class on you tube, gave it a shot. Thank you Fritz, it was so worthwhile. Loved the breathing techniques and the mindfulness. You inspired me today and opened up my world a bit, Fritz, thank you.

Have a great weekend fellow fighters. Thinking of you all.

Hydrate. Eat. Rest. Repeat. ❤

• obaoluwabbc
    obaoluwabbc Member Posts: 2
    Options

I feel same way, like I should be getting some kind of treatment everyday, especially since my boob is actually visibly swollen.

• SisterStrong
    SisterStrong Member Posts: 43
    Options

Newfromny- You are already strong! I imagine that we all have been an emotional mess at times at least I have. This journey that we find ourselves on is an emotional roller-coaster. I'm glad to here that you mostly got fantastic news from your PET scan. I will be thinking of you when you go for your bone scan. Remember PET scans can pick up an inflammation or infection too. Congrats on being a grandma!!!!!. What a happy time for your son and wife as well as you and your caring husband. My advice is that you should tell them fairly soon. I know that you don't want to ruin their happy time but they will want to know so they can support you. I know telling the people that you love is one of the hardest things to do but their love and support is what we all need. I was so nervous telling my daughter because she has been struggling a lot with grief. My father died February 2014 from Leukemia, my mother was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer October 2014, I was diagnosed with stage 3 melanoma December 2014, my husband was diagnosed with hairy-cell leukemia January 2015, my father-in-law passed away February 2015 from complications of Alzheimer (my mother-n-law passed away in 2008 from ALS), my mother died May 2015 and now I'm dealing with a 2nd primary cancer. She is only 13 and my son is 19 and they have had a lot happen to them but I feel as being as honest as I can helps both my kids. I try to show them that I am strong but I also let her know that I am scared, sad, and angry at times as well. We still enjoy the happy times because cancer doesn't dictate life it just changes things for a time. I will be having for my 3rd treatment when you are set for your first.

JS- congrats on your first AC treatment done and that you are feeling pretty good. I hope that continues for you.

obaoluwabbc- I am glad that you have a game plan and you are ready for the battle

Nothappytobehere- welcome to group! we are pretty similar in our diagnoses and treatment plan with the exception of the reconstruction process. I'm triple positive as well. I just finished my 2nd taxol/herceptin treatment.

I did go for a walk last night and my family and I are planning on going for a fall drive and taking a mild hike later this afternoon. Probably after the football game my DH wants to watch. There is football games on all day that he wants to watch but this is the most important one to him so he is more then happy to miss the others if that is what I want. He has been so amazing. He isn't a talker so I'm glad I have this site as my outlet. He is always willing to listen but doesn't say much. He never has but i still love him.

I hope everyone enjoys the reminder of the weekend.

• Notgivingup
    Options

Good morning warriors!

I hope everyone is doing well this morning. Yesterday was a very busy day for me. Day 3 after treatment#2, did get some nausea this time but quickly took my zofran for it (I carry a small bottle of different pills to cover anything I may need with me at all times). I didn't like that feeling. We were getting tires replaced when it struck me.

After we got new tires, it was time to finally shave my head. I only had 10% of my buzz left. So not only did I get my head shaved, my hubby got his. He says he is keeping a bald head as long as I have one. That made me cry.

We grabbed lunch, I took a nap, met friends for dinner, and then went to a haunted trail. A couple of friends were working there with their ghostbuster car.

Did a lot of walking last night. I am tired today, but I have to say it was the best birthday! Be kind to yourself today. Keep moving forward we got this.

• JS0404
    JS0404 Member Posts: 12
    Options

Question: Does water make anyone else feel sick? It’s day 3, I guess and trying to drink water seems to make my nausea and headache worse. I’m feeling a mixture of PMS and morning/motion sickness. I’ve taken my Zofran, so I’m going to wait a bit before trying the other anti-nausea med I was given.

Hope you ladies are enjoying the weekend!

• Bluedandelion
    Bluedandelion Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks for posting! I started my treatments on 10/2. I get Taxol and Herceptin weekly for 12 weeks. Last week after my third treatment I noticed my hair was coming out and this weekend I am a mess! There is hair everywhere. I am not brave enough to buzz it myself so will go to my hairdresser tomorrow. I have my wig and some scarves but I am an emotional mess over hair! My husband wants to come with me but I don't know. I am just so emotional. This is freaking me out more than the treatments are. I know I will get through this but it is tough.

As far as SE I have had only mild nausea and some aches in my joints. Also my left ankle swells to the size of a softball! I just want to feel better!

• Fritzmylove
    Options

notgivingup: Happy birthday! It sounds like it was a great day! Today is my 35th birthday so we’re birthday buddies!

JS: water wasn’t a problem for me, but food was. I think we all react to these drugs differently. Do what you need to do to get on the other side of these SEs.

Blue: I was surprised how empowering buzzing my hair was. I thought it would be traumatic and I dreaded starting losing my hair, but once it was gone it gave me strength. I’d let your hubby come if you can. He’s going through this with you. It might help him cope, and having him there may help you even though it might not seem like it now.

Tomorrow is chemo day #2 for me! I can’t wait to get in that chair. I also have an appt to have my wig fitted and trimmed at the cancer care center in the morning. I have just been wearing hats so far. I feel like a man in my wig so hopefully this will help.