Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Diagnosed/treated 2018 -- Sharing our "what's next"

Options

Comments

• josieo
    josieo Member Posts: 140
    Options

Alice,

What a cascading series of events...when you write it all down and read it, it’s a wonder that you survived it.

Kudos to you for looking for the good things, and I hope 2019 brings you many more in a more calm and healthy year

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options

Beaverntx thats the way to start of 2019! Great news! AliceBastable what a year 2018 was for you (mine wasn't too great either) so I stand with you on being happy to kiss 2018 goodbye. And I hope the Tamo treats you gently. You are due for an easy step in this journey.

• GreenHarbor
    GreenHarbor Member Posts: 187
    Options

Beaverntx, great news!

AliceB, WOW what a year you had! I’m hoping the crap of 2018 is in your rear view mirror. I’m on a thread for people starting/declining hormone treatment in November, December and January. It’s one of my favorite threads. Everyone is supportive, and respectful of others’ choices. Come check us out if you’re so inclined

• wanderweg
    wanderweg Member Posts: 487
    Options

Hi all, I have been on this train since I went for a mammogram in April and got the usual called back for second views. This time a biopsy and diagnosed on May 10. I had a BMX June 11 followed by reconstruction in August and the last of four rounds of Cytoxan and Taxotere November 2nd. And ankle surgery late November to correct nerve damage from one of the earlier surgeries! Anyway, I’ve been on tamoxifen for the last five weeks without any real side effects. I see my MO for the first post-chemo feb 1st and am compiling a list of questions. I’m sure hoping this year goes more smoothly.

Beaverntx - I curious about the ovary removal?I didn’t know they even did that post-menopause (I’m 56).

• jo6359
    jo6359 Member Posts: 2,009
    Options

alice and wanderweg- it's great you can put 2018 in your rearview mirror. Move on to a new and better year.

My brief hx: dx IDC 12/12/17, lumpectomy scheduled for 1/ 0 9/18. 1/ 0 7/18 MRI found second tumor same breast. Lumpectomy canceled BMX scheduled for January 29th. During my BMX they found one positive node. February 16th tchp began 6 rounds. Then 25 radiation treatments. I continued with h&p for the whole year and I have one more treatment session left. In spite of all that the side effects were minimal. I still look at 2018 as being a wonderful year. These bco threads constantly provided me with support during the anxiety-ridden periods. These women provided me with a kick butt attitude when I was feeling overwhelmed and feeling sorry for myself. I'm looking forward to 2019. May we all have a wonderful 2019 with minimal or no side effects.

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    Options

wanderweg, had a total hysterectomy after pre Tamoxifen pelvic ultrasound showed a thickened endometrium. After follow-up tests it was decided to do the surgery. Ovary removal was because the other surgery was being done (hysterectomy is not an option in the reporting list) to avoid them as a source of concern. Path report said ovaries were OK but there were some malignant cellular changes in the uterus. Since I've also had two premalignant colon polyps, some days I feel like a cancer factory! Am doing what I can to avoid any more production by that factory. Taking the Tamoxifen, losing weight, exercising, eating healthier, drinking lots of water...

As with most of us some days I feel like I am waiting for the other shoe to drop, but most of the time that is not the primary thought of the day!

• wanderweg
    Options

beaverntx - Ah, that makes sense. I had a partial hysterectomy when I had cervical cancer in 2010, but my ovaries were left because I was still premenopausal. And I'm trying to be as healthy now as possible given that my body also seems to like making cancer. I'm exercising every day, doing intermittant fasting (16 hours between dinner and breakfast) and eating a mostly plant-based diet.

• jo6359
    Options

wanderweg- What is the purpose of the intermittent fasting?

• wanderweg
    Options

jo6359 - There's some evidence that nightly fasting reduces breast cancer recurrence risk. Here's one article from JAMA: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaoncology/full...

Most of the research though, has been done on mice. Still, it's intriguing. Here's another article from the NIH that looks at the possible benefits of IF: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3680567/

• jo6359
    Options

wanderweg- thanks for sharing the link to the article. I'm going to read it now.

• Lindachow01
    Lindachow01 Member Posts: 6
    Options

so how was the taxol

I'm starting on it jan 29 along with herceptin.

• josieo
    Options

Beaverntx,

Not sure how I missed your news but YAY and I am happy for you! On to good things in 2019

• beaverntx
    Options

Thank you, JosieO. Was glad to get the report because I was feeling something different in the operated breast and, of course, I was concerned about recurrence! The radiologist was quite emphatic that post treatment changes and recurrence look very different and mine was not recurrence. As I was telling him that my mind knew they were different but my worrywort couldn't be convinced without the ultrasound, the ultrasound tech was nodding her head yes! Nice to be affirmed that of course I was concerned.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,941
    Options

I had a CT scan this morning for my twofer monitoring (breast and kidney). This was ordered by the urologist, and it came back clear - hope he meant all of it since it was chest, abdomen, and pelvis. I have an appointment with MO next week, so I guess if there was anything questionable above the waist, she'll tell me then. I have to do a PET scan in April because the kidney cancer was right on the border between stage I and II, and he believes in close watching since I didn't have chemo. So that should be another twofer scan. After that, I can go a whole six months! Hope I don't start glowing in the dark with all these scans. I have so many appointments this month: urologist, MO, BS, dentist, and PCP. Starting in February, I am determined to live a normal life!

• jo6359
    Options

Alice- congrats on good scans. Hoping the next scan will be just as good. February is right around the corner. So hopefully fewer doctor's appointment and starting to live a normal life for you. Go for it

• josieo
    Options

Alice,

That has been a fair amount of scanning-I give you credit for your patience and toleration of it. Strength and good health to you as we move further into 2019

• josieo
    Options

Beaverntx,

Sounds like you have a good medical team, and that is very important as you go forward. It’s natural to worry, but if you have those kind of quality medical professionals looking after you, I think you should know that whatever you have to face, you won’t ever face it alone. And of course, we are also here for you.

Best wishes as 2019 progresses

• veeder14
    veeder14 Member Posts: 271
    Options

Hi,

I started back on Tamoxifen on 3/1 so I'm on Day 4. So far my stomach isn't too irritated but I can tell I'm taking it. If I didn't have to start on it I probably would have been able to reduce the stomach medicine as it feels like my stomach has somewhat healed after surgery meds/anesthesia, pain meds. I'm keeping the stomach medicine at the same level. I have a referral for GI but will probably wait a few months to see how it goes. I really don't know what else they can do for me. I'm taking the max amount of stomach meds, and eating a very bland diet.

The breast surgeon has written me an order to get the two seromas in my arm pit drained again. Not sure if these will ever stay drained but it's worth trying again next month. I'm working on getting back in shape from the hysterectomy surgery. This is taking longer than I thought ~ between the bad weather (not able to walk or bike ride outside very often), using the gym, and how irritated my back, neck, and shoulder got.

Next follow up with the MO in April.

• beaverntx
    Options

Vedder

Good to hear from you. I think this winter may have slowed our progress for many of us. Between historic low temps and winds getting outside here has been a challenge. Adding to that I picked up a virus--the one with the nonproductive cough that hangs on. That is improving so there is hope for warmer and more energetic days ahead! At least I can speak now without initiating a coughing spell.😊

• josieo
    Options

Hi Veeder and Beaverntx,

Good to read your posts!

Veeder, you are a trooper for doing all that you have to keep moving forward. Unless it is happening to you, one can’t truly understand how stomach issues affect one’s overall health. Fingers crossed and a prayer that your stomach stays somewhat under control. And those pesky seroma...sheesh. Hoping that they will stop re-filling themselves.

Beaverntx, your comments are very apt. I also had that annoying cough in January, thought I was never going to get rid of it. And I join you in wishing for weather more supportive of our intentions to exercise outside.

My own seroma appears stable, so I don’t expect my surgeon will take any action on it. But glad to know that it is not anything cancerous. Don’t know if one can ever let one’s guard down, but thankfully good doctors arewatching and checking.

HURRY SPRING!!!

• beaverntx
    Options

JosieO, I keep reminding myself that come August or so, when we have triple digit temps and high humidity, I'll be wishing for cooler weather! Somehow that image isn't helping me feel any warmer just now. So, bring on spring. After 3 consecutive nights with freezing temperatures, our redbud tree is still in full bloom and looks to be unscathed so we are hoping our other plants will do as well. Having one night of deep freeze around here is unusual enough but three in a row apparently is newsworthy.

As to seromas, I have been fortunate in that I have never had to have it drained. Also it recently is feeling much smaller again. Wondering if it will ever disappear completely?

• jo6359
    Options

I developed a seroma the day after my BMX. I was still in the hospital so I went back to the OR for drainage. Since then, I have never had issues with seromas.

• josieo
    Options

Beaverntx,

Yes, much colder weather in many parts of the country this winter. Harder to get outside for exercise, which many people count on. Hopefully spring will be enjoyable.

Not sure if seromas ever dissolve on their own or not. Have to ask that question at my next appointment. At least mine is not painful.

Stay warm as we move toward spring

• flowergal
    flowergal Member Posts: 73
    Options

Hello Everyone and happy Spring!! For some reason , I was not getting notifications of a post on this thread so I hope I fixed it. I had my 1 year mammo in Feb and was all good. But it sure aggravated the lymphedema. It is back to baseline now and I am exercising daily, and playing with our new dog that we got in January. He keeps me hopping!

Veeder, glad the tamoxifn is doing OK so far.

Josie, I was told I had a seroma in August but in Feb was told it had resolved. The area is still hard and a little sore at times , but I think that will always be the case.

• beaverntx
    Options

flowergal, good to hear from you and that you are enjoying a new dog. Our two dogs have been a great joy and comfort for me over the last year (even though one of them did piddle on the new wood floor today!) Assuming that no news is good news, it seems that our crew is doing OK, thank goodness. I still feel as if I am waiting for the other shoe to drop at times but don't dwell on it. My next BC related dr. visit is next month, I' m still on the every three month schedule, probably until next January.

• josieo
    Options

Hi Flowergal and Beaverntx,

Glad to hear from both of you!

Flowergal - thanks for the words of encouragement on my seroma. Hoping that it does resolve itself in time, as I don’t think my surgeon wants to aspirate it. But I do hope your lymphedema stays under control. You’ve put a lot of work into it. A new dog is great-such a source of joy. Congrats on your one year mammogram.

Beaverntx- glad that you know the joy of dogs as well. Hoping you will continue to get positive news on each of your exams, and that they will become less frequent.

Continued good wishes and good healthto all of us.

• jo6359
    Options

flowergal-what kind of dog? My cats and dogs provide me with endless hours of pleasure.

• flowergal
    flowergal Member Posts: 73
    Options

Hi jo- he is a terrier mix . Kind of wire haired and scruffy looking. 14 pounds and about a year old so he is very puppy like and energetic but sweet as he can be. We had to put our other two very old and sick dogs to sleep this past July but we have always had dogs and there was an emptiness in the house but not any more! LOL !

• jo6359
    Options

flower gal- I couldn't imagine a home without a pet. I have seven dogs and three cats. Way too many. They bring me such joy and a little bit of aggravation. LOL

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766
    Options

Hi, ladies. 2018 was a year from hell for me and my family. I was diagnosed with melanoma in January and breast cancer in March. My husband’s cousin, only 51 years old, died suddenly in April and his aunt died in October. I went through surgery, chemo, and radiation. Was diagnosed with radiation induced pneumonitis and got lymphedema to boot. Can’t believe I survived it all.