Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Diagnosed/treated 2018 -- Sharing our "what's next"

Options

Comments

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    Options

I second Josie's wishes. May the new year be a happy, healthy one for all!

• flowergal
    flowergal Member Posts: 73
    Options

Ditto here! Best wishes to you all for a wonderful holiday and happy and healthy new year!! You guys are so special!

• veeder14
    veeder14 Member Posts: 271
    Options

Wishing all a Happy and healthy 2020

• flowergal
    Options

Hi Veeder and everyone in our little group. Hope you all had a good holiday and have a very Happy and healthy new year!

• beaverntx
    Options

Surgery was 2 years ago today. For some reason the 2 year mark has been very significant in my mind; seems a bit less remarkable now that it is here!

Planning to take a one month break from Tamoxifen, I am tired of being tired and draggy all the time (and accomplishing very little). Need to see if it is Tamoxifen, age, allergies, or a combination. Gloomy weather isn't helping nor is knowing the nerve pain in my arm may never completely go away, although it is less frequent.

As down as I sound, I am glad to be around 2 years later and progressing through the treatment plan at a "normal" pace. The sun will come out again!!

• flowergal
    Options

Hi Beaverrn,

My 2 year date is Feb 7 and I too , am happy to be here! I do hope you start to feel better ."If winter comes,can Spring be far away?" Hope you can stay on a hormone blocker. I am on anastrazole and do ok with it. Some joint pain, but is it just age, winter weather?

Take care

and hi to the rest of this group!

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,514
    Options

I have a two-year dx anniversary coming up. Honestly I only remember the date because it was such a weird day (we had no power due to a windstorm, hubs was heading out of the country for his 60th so I decided not to tell him til he got back, . . . .) I'm about 14 months into anastrozole and other than some fatigue, doing okay on it. That said, I'm looking forward to the five-year mark, when I've told myself that even if my MO recommends continuing it, I'll give myself a break.

This is a dreary time of year--holidays are over, weather is gloomy. I saw something the other day saying it feels like it's the 74th of January. I also don't have much planned the next few months, although expect to take trips in May and possibly April. I'll feel a little better when I have definite plans--I really like having something to look forward to. (BTW--due to an interesting set of circumstances I think I'm pretty set on a retirement date. 12/31/22. Still almost three years away but I'm pretty excited about it!)

• flowergal
    Options

Hi Ingerp,

Glad you are doing OK. Our weather here in Memphis is dreary, rainy and overcast so I am going on a cruise with hubby and sister and leave on tuesday. Eastern carribean and panama canal. I can't wait! Then, spring will be here soon and I wlll be busy in the garden, digging in the dirt!

Take care.

• josieo
    josieo Member Posts: 140
    Options

Hi to all my dear friends here:

Yes, our two year anniversaries are coming up. Far enough away to be less stressful, but still new enough that life has not yet returned to normal (if it ever will)

In my own case, I have several dates that have significance for me, because my process was long and drawn out. (My first abnormal set of mammograms/ultrasound was in late December, my biopsies were in late January, my introduction to my surgeon in February, but the date I remember most and acknowledge was my lumpectomy in Mid-March.)

Comments to all of you:

Ingerp - You have two days of significance in the near term-a break from Anastrozole and your retirement. Both good things. I wish you many good days until those two landmark days arrive

Beaverntx - you have the right attitude, and know that you will be fine because of it. I do look forward to your tamoxifen break,

Flowergal - two nice events in your near future. You also have a positive attitude, which I know will carry you through.

I wish all of you continued good health and I am proud to be your friend.

• simonerc
    simonerc Member Posts: 154
    Options

Two years almost to the minute for me. Some days I feel like my old self, and some days I am scared and ambivalent. I was also diagnosed with Serrated Polyposis Syndrome which is taking up too much of my mental space. I try to wake up with a clean slate each day though. Today was beautiful and I’ll take it!

Sending strong thoughts to us all!

• flowergal
    Options

Hi Simone,

Sorry to hear of your medical issue. I looked it up and wonder if there is treatment other than removing polyps and monitoring . I wish you best of luck in coping with this.

• simonerc
    Options

Hi flowergal!

Unfortunately no treatment. Trying circumin supplements which can help with adenomas but no evidence yet for SPS. But, it can’t hurt! They do colonoscopies for as long as the polyps remain safely removable and non cancerous. Otherwise, the treatment is colectomy. I had 15 polyps in 2018 and 35 in 2019. The gastroenterologist genetic oncologist said some people go a long time without having colectomy. I really did not like how that was phrased. Would have preferred to hear that most/many go a lifetime without having colectomy! I know it’s better than getting colorectal cancer, but certainly not ideal. Nervous already about my summer 2020 colonoscopy.

That said, this is the Breast Cancer forum, right! It does take my mind off breast cancer a bit;-) Hoping for no more surgeries any time soon! 4 in 16 months was enough! Could use a really boring 2020!

Thanks for checking in, Flowergal! I hope the cruise was beautiful and fun!

• nonomimi5
    nonomimi5 Member Posts: 184
    Options

Hello everyone -

It’s around my 2 year Dx anniversary and I wanted to check in. Simone - I too had some polyps during my colonoscopy 5 years ago when i was 50 yrs old and my MO said I need to get it done every 5 years...so I am due for another but haven’t made any appointment. Ugh.

• simonerc
    Options

Hi nonomimi5!

“Happy” almost cancerversary! How are you feeling about it? First year was really different from second year for me. Hopefully this will be a super boring year for you!

Yes, the colonoscopy time has snuck up on you! Going to give you a kind nagging... It can prevent a polyp from becoming cancerous. My sister had colorectal cancer and like any cancer it is no fun. Please try to get it on the books! I have had 5 colonoscopies starting at age 43 due to my sister’s diagnosis. Was on a three year plan. First one clear. Second one had a big, precancerous polyp. Were it not for my sister’s diagnosis and my early screening that polyp would have been invasive cancer at age 50....

Breast cancer is enough excitement:-(. Please make that appointment!

Feel good and take care!

• nonomimi5
    Options

Simone - You are absolutely right. I need to make an appointment. Thank you for the motivation. I will get on it.

I am feeling really good. I know I have been slacking off on my exercises. If I don’t come back to this community, I forget I need to take better care of myself so I will try to visit more often. Have a great Sunday everyone

• beaverntx
    Options

Reporting back in after a month's break from Tamoxifen. Felt much better during that month, woke up in the morning feeling rested, no brain fog/lassitude but not much difference in joint pain. Back on for 3 days only so can't tell about differences yet. Groggy this morning but then last night was an hour short due to time change!

• nonomimi5
    Options

Beaverntx - I had joint stiffness, feet pain in the morning, and Charlie horses while sleeping in the past but I started eating anti-oxident and anti-inflammation rich food and I think it helps. I actually have no above symptoms anymore. I do feel very tired by the later afternoon so I tried to switch the time I take Tamo from morning to late afternoon for a few days. But I didn’t sleep as well when I did that and I am more tired the next day from lack of sleepso I am back to taking Tamo in the morning. At least I get a better sleep and feel rested half of the day.

• beaverntx
    Options

nonomimi, my joint pain in my hands is due to arthritis (officially physician diagnosed more than a decade ago); my knees are mostly use related wear and tear which has not progressed to eligibility for surgical intervention. As for antioxidants I increased them in my diet after my BC diagnosis and began paying more attention to fruits and vegetables in our meals.

Glad these are working for you. Have noticed the last few nights after restarting Tamoxifen that I have not settled into good sleep until 2 to 3 hours after going to bed. Have always taken Tamoxifen after dinner, at the advice of my pharmacist, but am considering trying a switch to morning. Will wait until I have been back on for at least a week to get blood levels back up so there won't be too many changes at one time.

• beaverntx
    Options

Checking in to see how our 2018 group is doing. DH and I have been staying in except for grocery and pharmacy runs. Had several rainy days recently which makes staying at home easier!

Hope all are well and not going stir crazy!!!

• josieo
    Options

Hi Beaverntx,

So nice of you to check in and ask about everyone.

Doing the same as you -limited grocery shopping, pharmacy, everything else handled via drive-through access. I do get twice daily walking opportunities with the dog, but miss my gym a great deal.

All of my regular doctors appointments deferred to June or later, with video option if needed. Had one set of needed bloodwork, but went early am and wore a mask. One infusion deferred until July. Dental work deferred until Mid-May, will see if that schedule holds.

We do what we gotta do.

Stay healthy and safe everyone.

• flowergal
    Options

Hello guys,

Hope all of you are doing ok and safe. I ,as most, am staying home and limiting grocery trips to every 2 weeks . I stock up on every thing I can think of . I wear my mask, gloves, use self scan and check out and disinfect every thing before I put the groceries away. I have a feeling this will not end soon. Luckily, the weather is turning nice, and I may venture out to the local hardware store to get my veggie and herb plants next week. We have bluebirds in a nest so I hope we will see the babies soon. A heron got to feast on all our pond goldfish so I hope when the stores reopen, we can replenish it and build in some places for the fish to hide! I dug out my sewing machine and after reading the manual and looking at a you tube video, fgured out how to use it again LOL. I made some cloth masks with material scraps I had around.

Well, stay safe, healthy and Happy Earth Day!

• veeder14
    Options

Hi Beaverntz, Josie O, and flowergal,

Doing ok here. Wearing a mask and gloves for shopping and to PT. Shopping for my parents who are 96 and 88, can't go out. Daily going out bicycling and walks to the parks (ours were left open!). I have my annual breast MRI scheduled for June but sort of uneasy about going to the hospital/outpt for that. I would want them to show me that the machine was sanitized before going in, especially where your face goes. All other app'ts coming up will be by video. Have a possible dental issue, sent pictures to the dentist, however their office isn't open and I'm really hoping it can wait.

Stay well all.

• beaverntx
    Options

Just had a call from our dentist's office. They are tentatively rescheduling previously cancelled appointments beginning mid May, with fingers crossed. We'll see. DH has cancelled one MD appt which he and the doc agreed was not really necessary since his treatment is going well.

• veeder14
    Options

Hi All,

I've got my annual breast MRI on Monday. Getting scan anxiety/covid 19 anxiety about going to both the hospital (to get the IV placed), and then to Outpt for the scan and having to be treated by so many healthcare workers. I don't know if I can wear a mask while in the MRI because it's hard enough to breathe as it is with being prone and pressure on the rib cage. My husband will take me but will either go to the specialty library/center far from treatment areas or stay outside in the shade. There's no reason for both of us to go in even though the hospital allows it.

I did go to the dentist, waited in my car until they called me, then went to the lobby (was the only patient walking through to treatment areas). The hygienist put on two medical masks and a face shield. The treatment areas were mostly empty. All other app'ts so far by video and insurance is picking up the cost 100% until the end of the year!

• beaverntx
    Options

In your pocket on Monday, Veeder!

My next oncology appointment is a week from Monday and next mammogram is due in July. Not anxious yet but very likely to be as the mammo time approaches.

• josieo
    Options

Joining in support for you, Veeder!

I know I am anxious every time I go for my mammogram and ultrasound. I mention it to the person who is doing it and they always find something comforting to say. So I get through it.

I would reassure you as well on any potential worries on Covid. I found that when I recently visited one of my doctors the precautions were more than careful. So I was not afraid that I had exposed myself to anything. I think the medical setting is actually safer than being in a public place like a store.

It will be ok.

Let us know how it goes.

JosieO

• veeder14
    Options

Thanks Beaverntx and Josie O,

I made it through the MRI but was an adventure. I had the staff person confirm that the machine had been disinfected especially the area where your face goes. I went to the main hospital for the IV placement, no problem. Covid 19 checks and I had to laugh to myself because the nurses at the entrance thought I was a staff and gave me the staff pass. Ha, Ha, The prone position on that grid is really painful but the worse was when it was finished the staff went to lower the table and it suddenly and unexpectedly dropped about 10" really hard. I had immediate severe back, neck, and shoulder pain from the "fall". Ugh. Then went to primary care for an evaluation and a shot of anti inflammatory medication. Was seen by Sports Medicine the next day for another evaluation who said no fractures (remember I have osteoporosis) but soft tissue injury. To PT today which helps.

I've been desperately waiting for the MRI test results and called the MO's office several times with no response. I usually get test results sent to me directly but not this time. Thankfully, primary care sent it after I requested. Read the results and everything ok on the cancer side, and then mention of a skin thing on the opposite side. Yikes. I didn't understand the report but finally the MO called after 3 more calls to her office. I have to get an ultrasound for the non cancer side as there's a round, flat but raised a bit growth there. MRI tests must be very sensitive but I've had it for years and it never picked it up. The ultrasound will be able to tell if it's just on the surface. Dermatology has looked at it before and wasn't concerned. So back to the hospital next week again.

I hope everyone is doing well as things start to open up for business.

• flowergal
    Options

Hello all,

As usual, I have not been getting notifications of posts .I must be doing something wrong !LOL

My last 6 month Mammo is to be done on the 20th and will hope for good news. I get labs every 6 months and the two cancer marker ones are always OK . I find that a little Xanax helps my anxiety when I have these tests. I just got a call from a very dear friend who has 2 small masses ( one in each breast) so I will be trying to help her through the process . She has her diagnostic and ultrasound scheduled but is preparing herself for the news we all hated to hear! Hope everyone is staying safe and masked up ! I finally got a decent hair cut from a new person as my old salon went out of business during the lockdown. It is so sad to see all these small businesses close . I still am not comfortable going out to a restaurant but hope when the weather gets cooler we can find a place with outdoor seating.

Glad for your good news Veeder.

• beaverntx
    Options

My July mammogram was "normal post operative and post radiation changes", come back in a year. Still seeing BS every six months as well as PCP every six months for chronic conditions. I have labs for the PCP visits, but no tumor markers. I did request at least an annual liver panel since I am taking Tamoxifen and need Tylenol at times for arthritis.

We are only going out for essentials such as groceries and pharmacy and occasionally to pick up take out, no in restaurant dining. With our usual August daily triple digits not interested in outdoor doing either!

Had to replace a HVAC unit last week. Fortunately, when this house was built, they installed two units so we still had part of the house, including a bedroom, that was being cooled. That allowed DH, an engineer, the time to carefully select the exact unit he thought we should have as well as which of the three bids we got should be the one we accepted.

Stay cool and stay safe!!!

• josieo
    Options

Flowergal, Beaverntx, and Veeder,

Hello, dear friends all!

When I see a post from one of you, I am always eager to read it, and always hope for good news, compared to the “trials and tribulations” we used to share. But those were so supportive that I will never forget them.

Very good news, Beaverntx. That had to be an uplifting feeling to get that communication.

Prayers, Flowergal, that you receive similar good news.

And hang in there, Veeder. We are all praying for good news for you as well.

My mammogram (and ultrasound, any other test they decide to do) is not until December. But thankful that it is already scheduled, as the hospital system is still in “catch up” mode from the first half of the year. In the last two months i’ve had my labs as well as in-person appointments with each one of my medical team. So very glad to have their continued care and support. Would have never made it without them.

Like all of you, I continue to be very careful where and how often I go out, but because I care for an elderly parent in ill health, I end up with many more outbound trips. A few carry out meals from favorite places, but can’t steel myself to go inside of a restaurant or even outside seating. Our virus numbers in this state are steady, but need to see more downward movement to feel brave enough. Not yet..

Wishing all of you continued good health, safety, and what qualifies as”happiness”. I dare say surviving cancer has to be a BIG one.

Best to all of you,

JosieO