Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Diagnosed/treated 2018 -- Sharing our "what's next"

Options

Comments

• flowergal
    flowergal Member Posts: 73
    Options

Hello friends,

I hope none of you have been affected by the terrible fires and hurricanes ! I know the smoke is terrible near SF where my sister lives. She is stuck in the house because of it .

My friend who had the masses found out they were fibroids and we celebrated with her!.

My recent mamograms were fine and now I am on a yearly schedule. Hope you are all staying safe and Covid free.

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    Options

floergal, so far we have not experienced the smoke but it is coming across the northern part of the state, according to the map I just saw on the weather forecast.

Good news and celebration with your friend!

Not much change here. Still staying in most of the time and wearing masks when we go out.

• veeder14
    veeder14 Member Posts: 271
    Options

Hi

Congratulations on your clear mammogram.

I’m in Napa and the smoke has been horrible from the fires, this has been going on for a month now. The air quality got a lot worse recently. Mostly staying inside with air purifiers and windows and doors shut. Surprise, today we had good air and I just wore a mask and went on my bike ride. I’m very allergic to smoke so being careful but it was so nice to get outside

• beaverntx
    Options

Veeder, have been thinking about you and the fires! Good to hear that you were able to get out today. Fingers crossed that your air stays clear.

• veeder14
    Options

Thanks Beaverntx,

Air quality alternating between moderate and good the last few days. It all depends on the wind direction. No more orange skies at least

• josieo
    josieo Member Posts: 140
    Options

Veeder, flowergal, Beaverntx, and all of my dear forum friends:

I don’t need to say the obvious-we are living in a timeline no other, each of us doing our best to stay safe and healthy. But as we approach another traditional holiday not likely to be celebrated in the usual way, I offer all of you my best wishes-for health and safety, and continued thanks for the strength and friendship always freely offered through this forum.

Safe and happy Thanksgiving to all.

Josie

• flowergal
    Options

Hi Josie and everyone,

I hope you all are safe and will have a Happy( socially distant, hand sanitized and masked )Thanksgiving!! Hopefully, this time next year we can use our masks for dust cloths!

• beaverntx
    Options

Hello all and hoping for a happy turkey day for all. 🍗🍗

Yes, Josie, it is a sign of the times that our Tday will be just the two of us when it could be 14 of us. Love the idea of using our masks for dusting!! Really love the idea that it looks possible that we will get to the point that masks won't be needed.

Personal update: in September I took a bad fall while out walking ( have a friend who said she knew that walking was not good for your health!). Broke two teeth, had a badly bruised chin, soft tissue injury to my left arm (nondominant and not the BC side). Arm is healed, thanks to physical therapy; chin still has some discoloration, upper lip still tender and permanent teeth due to be installed next week. Lots of healthcare visits involved, at least two a week until this week. So much for staying home but I have been careful as have all the places I have been to.

Keep safe, stay well.

• veeder14
    Options

Hello Josie, flowergal, Beaverntx and all,

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving even if different this year. We did go to my parents however my husband and I have been the only ones helping them during the pandemic with bringing supplies, etc., The rest of the family wasn't invited for safety reasons. We were strict mask wearers. It's nice to be home and take off that mask!

Beaverntx, sorry to hear about your accident and injury, good PT has helped and you are getting your teeth fixed. Back when I had a fall and landed on my face and had a horribly bruised chin and face, it took forever for the bruises to go away but eventually did so hopefully yours will be gone soon.

2nd yearly mammogram coming up in December. Take care everyone.

• flowergal
    Options

Hello everyone and hope you had a good Christmas. We celebrated as usual- me, my husband and our dog Chip. We will have a Zoom New Years Eve visit with the 2 couples we usually ring in the new year with. It is at 8pm so I won't feel obligated to stay up til 12 and can wake up to hopefully a better new year! Stay safe and Happy , Healthy New year to you!!!

• josieo
    Options

Hello dear friends all,

I will be glad to see this year end. I’m ready to put 2020 behind and to hope for improved safety, health, and security for all of you.

• beaverntx
    Options

Catching up here...Glad to see 2020 in the rearview mirror but not at all pleased with this week's happenings.

My most recently scheduled 6 month check is waiting to be rescheduled due to the Covid levels in our area, Dr. is limiting office traffic to as few as possible. The office will call to reschedule when things open up. At the very slow rate vaccinations are happening in my county, me being safer may not happen for months even though my group (1b) is eligible for vaccine now. We will keep on doing what we can to be as safe as possible. Fortunately, I have no indications of BC problems so missing the appointment has not been nearly as stressful as it would have been a year or so ago!

May we all have a happy, healthy 2021.

• flowergal
    Options

Well, Like Beaverntx, glad to see 20202 gone but SO distressed by the assault on our democracy this last week. Will be SO GLAD when Jan 20 is here . Like you, I have no idea when the vaccine will be available for my group. Our state has none at this time . So, I'll just stay at home except for weekly grocery store run and occasional Dr. Visit. Did get my 6 month check up and labs were all food. Not scheduled for yearly Mammo til August..

Take care, stay safe in 2021.

• veeder14
    Options

Hi All,

Had my annual breast MRI last Wednesday, and got results today..no malignancy, yeah! I stressed out all weekend since last year (right in the middle of Covid) I had my MRI and the tech didn't place me in the machine correctly. So the films on my non cancer side looked thickened and I had to follow up with an ultrasound and exam. This time a much better experience.

Vaccinated and a low rate of Covid infections in CA so enjoying getting out of the house more. Met my music friends for a jam at a park after not seeing any of them for a year! Still wearing a mask indoors in the stores regardless of it not being required for vaccinated individuals, too many non vaccinated people and there's no way to tell.

Keeping up with my bicycling, and have been busy helping my parents get moved into Assisted Living. I hope everyone is well and their treatment is going well. Take care everyone.

• GreenHarbor
    GreenHarbor Member Posts: 187
    Options

Great news, Veeder! I had my mammogram on Monday. As usual, the 15 minutes that it takes the radiologist to read the films is the most stressful part of my year (at least the medical part). Luckily, all is good for another year! I saw my surgeon after the mammo for a quick check in; she likes to follow her patients for 5 years after surgery. I saw my MO in May. All good there, except for my bone density, which has declined to almost osteoporosis. She switched me from anastrazole to tamoxifen, which is going well so far. I’m looking forward to a summer where I can see more people and go more places. I’m grateful to be at this point in my breast cancer journey. Wishing you all a great summer!

• flowergal
    Options

Hello all, Glad to hear good news from you both! I have my 6 month labs and bone density scheduled end of July and yearly mamo in August. Got the Pfizer vaccine in March and the mask mandate was lifted last month. WE went out to eat for the first time in 15 months and felt comfortable with no mask. I do hope more of our citizens will get vaccinated so we can truly get back to normal. Hope you all stay healthy and have s good summer.

• ctmbsikia
    ctmbsikia Member Posts: 754
    Options

Hi all. Nice to see all these recent updates. Last June I was asked to switch MOs so I did and I sort of regret it. I liked my 1st one, a lady, she was all over it. This one, a man, seems a little laxed and I'm trying not to form too harsh of an opinion of him yet as I've only really seen him once. In January 2020 I had a biopsy-benign (fat necrosis). Then, next imaging comes up post biopsy changes birads 3 so I'm still doing 6 mo follow ups on both mammo and MRI. In April 2021 mammo/us radiologist said OK-lesion is smaller and gave me a birads 2. Finally! I am due in July to do the follow up MRI. I am hopeful the results will be fine. See the MO again late July so due for bloodwork soon. I still get anxious around these tests and appointments but it is getting better, especially if I don't go too far ahead of myself.

• josieo
    Options

Veeder and flowergal,

Ladies, so great to hear from both of you! I thought I had set an automatic alert to new posts in this thread, but hadn’t received any. Happened to be browsing the site and saw both of your posts. Glad for your continued good results.

I have been busy with some minor medical issues, but so far all is good on the cancer front. Staying vigilant, but thankful for an excellent cancer team who takes excellent care of me.

Doing my best to also remain cautious with virus exposure. Still wearing my mask in stores and trying to stay away from large public gatherings.

Best wishes and prayers for continued good news and an enjoyable fall season ahead.

Josie

• beaverntx
    Options

Just realized I have not posted here since early January. Was able to get the Moderna vaccine in February and March. Just as I was "practicing going out bare faced" the delta variant became rampant so masks back on! Mammogram in July was B2, benign post surgical changes. Have regular check up with PCP next week.

Family wise, younger son was diagnosed in March with possible Stage 4, tumor of unknown origin. He has responded so extremely well to mild chemo that his integrative oncologist is questioning if it was cancer or an extremely strong inflammatory reaction and his regular oncologist no longer denies that possibility. In any case he is feeling better and back to work, mostly remotely due to Covid and his immune compromised status. Our other son is now in South America, his daughter had one day of in person school and school was shutdown for at least two days because some of the staff may have been exposed to Covid.

• flowergal
    Options

Hi guys,

Glad to hear from you. I am doing well, July lab work all good and last week had yearly mamo which was fine. I did start Fosamax for Osteopenia as my Dexa scan this year was a little worse in the hip but better in the back. I still walk 2-3 miles a day with my dog and work in my garden when it's not too hot! Had a great tomato crop and lots of sauce and chopped tomatoes in the freezer. Hope you all stay safe as this Delta variant seems like a whole new pandemic.

Beaverntx, glad your son is better. That must have been a very stressful time for you all.

Take care and stay well.

• josieo
    Options

beaverntx, very glad for the good update on your son. I think the entire concept of inflammation is not fully understood in today’s medical world. It leads to misdiagnosis and often unnecessary treatment. The body is clearly reacting to something, but what is often not clear.

But the bottom line for him right now is that he is doing well. Glad for both you and him.

Best wishes to everyone on this thread

• beaverntx
    Options

Time for a catch up!

Yesterday was 4 years since the positive path report came back from my biopsy. Today I met with my BS, who is doing my follow-up care, and we agreed that I am stopping Tamoxifen. I have decided that at my age (81) I can no longer tolerate the amount of functional time I was losing to T. side effects (brain fog, mood swings, lassitude). She agreed it is a quality of life issue and said that is important. I have a feeling of a burden being lifted.

Hope all who still check this thread are doing well.

• veeder14
    Options

Hi Beaverntx,

Thanks for the update. Congratulations on taking Tamoxifen as long as you have..almost 4 years. I bet your relieved. Glad your breast surgeon agreed with you on stopping the Tamoxifen. Please let us know as the side effects disappear and you return to your normal self.

• beaverntx
    Options

Veeder, of course the weight I gained on Tamoxifen isn't gone but a couple of pounds are ( I was totally unsuccessful losing weight while on it ). Have been able to think and get things done this week. Was struggling with that and it feels really good. Actually got three loads of laundry done in one day-- before it was about 1and a half loads a day! The main pleasure is feeling more like myself again.

• veeder14
    Options

Hi Beaverntx,

That's great you feel like yourself again and can get lots of stuff done easily. Hopefully you will be able to loose weight as time goes on. I haven't been able to loose any weight either and I've got 2 yrs, 1 mo more of Tamoxifen. Ugh. I workout everyday.

I've been on edge for a week now waiting for my mammogram report; I finally got it electronically this morning. The MO said the hospital is so short staffed that's why it didn't come in a day or two. Results are good: no evidence of malignancy. However, my cancer did not show up on mammogram or Ultrasound. But I continue to do the yearly mammogram anyways. One interesting note on the mammogram report indicates for those under 65 yr old it is recommended to also have a annual MRI. Due to being BRAC2, I also have a yearly MRI anyways which is coming up in a few months.

• beaverntx
    Options

Interesting. MRI has never been mentioned for me! Glad your mammogram results were not concerning. Mine typically say something about usual post surgical changes. Interesting that they do not comment about the post radiation changes! I guess technically they are post surgery since rads were after surgery.😂

• josieo
    Options

Hi Veeder and Beaverntx,

So nice to see updates from both of you! Hard to believe we are now in 2022, and approaching that five year marker. I remember how in 2018 I could only think of making it through the treatments.

My breast cancer remains in remission, with continued clear mammograms. Mid year I developed a skin infection that strangely took up residence in my lumpectomy scar. Forced me to take a few rounds of strong antibiotics, but hopefully under control.

At the very end of the year my diabetes went way out of control, spiking a previously unknown heart issue. Then early in January I unexpectedly lost my mother. So feeling tired and sad right now.

Thoughts and prayers for everyone, and appreciate yours.

Josi

• beaverntx
    Options

Ah, Josie, sending ((((hugs )))) and warm thoughts for healing for you! Seems that is always something!! Don't remember where you live but hoping you will not be hit by the predicted coming storm.

• flowergal
    Options

First, Josie I am so sorry for the loss of your Mom. I know how sad it must be but hope you have warm and wonderful memories to hold dear to your heart. Hope your diabetes gets back under conr=trol and So glad to hear all is well in regard to your cancer status!

Beaverntx, glad you are doing better and getting more energy.

Veeder, hope you are doing Ok as well and glad to hear mamo was negative.

I am doing well . My 6 month labs are all ok and I am tolerating the anastrazole with minimal problems although my osteopenia was worse this past summer per Dexa scan so I started fosamax. Take care all and stay safe and warm! Looking forward to Spring.

Happy ground Hog day!

• veeder14
    Options

Hi Josie,

Sending you condolences for the passing of your mom. Glad your tolerating Anastrazole as best you can. Hope the Fosamax helps your bones. Take care