Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in February 2019

Options

Comments

• Kkmay
    Kkmay Member Posts: 89
    Options

Congratulations for those who finished chemo!

My mom still have five more taxol/carbo to go. Three out of of her twelve planned chemos were delayed due to fever or low neuts. Can’t wait to finish chemo and move to a new milestone!

• notdefined
    notdefined Member Posts: 267
    Options

I have 18 days of chemo left! Counting the days!!!

• Kitkat8074
    Kitkat8074 Member Posts: 47
    Options

Way to go all who have finish!!! My 2nd AC has been postponed 2 weeks to allow WBC to come up. A little disappointed but for the most part, still feeling great!

Shaved what little hair was left on my head...image

• Kkmay
    Options

kitkat you look great! How are you handling the SEs so far

• Kitkat8074
    Options

Kkmay, thank you, so SE so far other than hair loss and the one day of pain after Neulasta. I feel very blessed and thankful for that.

How are things with you? Praying all is well!

• Kkmay
    Options

I’m glad you’re feeling good! Thank you for asking!My mom has four taxol/carbo to go and then surgery. Her MO recommends mastectomy because of her initial tumor size (about 8 cm). He also recommends to have the surgery as soon as possible after chemo. She has an appointment with the surgeon in a few weeks for consultation.

• Kitkat8074
    Options

Kkmay, I will be praying for you Mom. How does she feel about the mastectomy? I will be having a double mastectomy as well. I will see my surgeon toward the end of next month.

Has her tumor shrunk any with chemo? Mine has shrunk a little. There were days I couldn’t feel it but can feel it now. Mine is about 2 cm but being HER2+ and my second BC, it is highly recommended for the double mastectomy.

I’m nervous and anxious at the same time.

• Kkmay
    Options

Thank you KitKat! You are in our prayers too!

MO is insisting she should get a mastectomy for her left breast because she is triple negative and her tumor is ( or was?) HUGE. I think it was about 8 cm. He told us that he will push the surgeon for a double mastectomy. I really would like her to have a double mastectomy to avoid a cancer in the other breast. We will discuss this with her BS in a few weeks. She is really sad that will be losing her breast/s, a huge part of a female's identity. My mom is a very emotional person. So she never fully understand the benefits of a double mastectomy for her case. Her perspective is mostly focused on the fact that she is losing a part of her body.

As for her tumor, it shrunk a little during chemo, but MO said not to worry about the size because it can be all dead cells inside even if the shrinkage is not very obvious, only surgery can tell how responsive was the tumor to chemo. I hope she gets a PCR. I'm praying for that everyday.

• Kitkat8074
    Options

Kkmay I can relate to her concerns and worry. As women our bodies are what we relate with the most. Be strong for her, as you have been through your her journey. She will need you more than ever through the next phase.

My daughter is my caregiver as well. Without her I would not be dealing so well with this journey

Hugs and prayers for you and your mom ❤️❤️

• Kkmay
    Options

Thanks Kitkat 😘😘😘 best of luck to you

• loiswb
    loiswb Member Posts: 86
    Options

Just popping in to report that I've finished my chemo. Taxol #12 in the books yesterday! I have a couple weeks "off" and expect to start radiation by the end of the month or so. Good luck to everyone still finishing up treatment and with the next steps of your treatment journey.

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

Louswb- congratulations. I have 3 more taxol and I hope all goes well without my wbc going down as it did during Ac.

I have a question for you because you are et and pr positive and her2 negative as my acquaintance contacted me because she knew I had cancer (but Mine is triple positive). She has only 0.5cm and intermediate grade and she has to go lumpectomy and some radiotherapy only. She did ultrasound of lymph nodes all clear and her surgeon told her due to the size and type of tumor he believes no involvement as well for 99.5 percent You also have er and pr positive and her2 negative tumour but you had chemo so I am wondering if because their tumour is bigger? Also your grade is just 1 and the timoré small I am sure your doc was surprised to see lymph node involvement. When they discovered lympth node involvement, during an ultrasound or during surgery

• loiswb
    loiswb Member Posts: 86
    Options

Yes, there was a bit of debate on whether or not I should do chemo. I had 3 nodes involved and the size was over 2 cm, which I guess while not huge is not considered small either. The Her2 negative and the hormone positives are both "good" markers so initially (until we knew about the lymph nodes) the plan was lumpectomy and radiation, just as your acquaintance is doing. Good luck on the rest of your Taxol Margun!

• notdefined
    Options

I finished my last chemo today!! Whoo hoo! Hope everyone on here is doing good. On to the next obstacle which is my surgery. I'm officially nervous about it :).

Take care.

Melissa

• paloma1211
    paloma1211 Member Posts: 95
    Options

Congratulations on finishing chemo, notdefined! I just had my lumpectomy surgery last week. While not necessarily a piece of cake, it was far better than chemo. You’ll do great

I’m headed to radiation next. Not looking forward to that.

• Newfromny
    Newfromny Member Posts: 108
    Options

Radiation was the easiest step of the three, chemo definitely the hardest. I was worried about radiation but the 6 weeks went by quickly

• notdefined
    Options

Paloma1211-congrats on having your surgery! Hope you have a smooth recovery. Hope radiation goes smooth too! It's all the anticipation of what it will be like until the first treatment is completed, but I hear radiation is easier than chemo

I am now on the countdown to my surgery :)

• paloma1211
    Options

That’s great to hear Newfromny. Any tips on how to make it easier

• Newfromny
    Options

During radiation I used Miaderm and the area did turn pink, itchy, and tight but not painful. I healed quickly when radiation finished

• margun
    Options

newfrommy- how many weeks the surgery and radiotherapy were distanced? During Ac it was not possible to go work. Will it be possible to work when doing radiotherapy?Did you had lumpectomy?

Paloma- you had lumpectomy. How long it took to recover and how many days were painful and required less mobility

• paloma1211
    Options

Thank you, newfromny. I will check out the miaderm.

I was pretty tired out from the surgery for 3-4 days, margun. My mobility has not been particularly limited. My breasts were sore/tender for about 7-10 days. I'm a massage therapist, and the surgeon recommended that I take 2-3 weeks off of work. If I had a less active job (like working at a computer), I think I would've taken 3-4 days off after surgery

• blue22
    blue22 Member Posts: 172
    Options

How long is everyone waiting in between your last chemo and surgery?

• Newfromny
    Options

It was about 5 weeks between surgery and radiation, I had a double mastectomy, I’m currently not working but don’t think I could have during chemo but could have during radiation. It really wasn’t too bad

• paloma1211
    Options

I waited about 3 weeks between my last chemo and surgery, blue22. My surgeon said 3-4 weeks after chemo is optimal

• blue22
    blue22 Member Posts: 172
    Options

Paloma1211 - was it 3 weeks after you received the chemo or 3 weeks after the end of the cycle?

I ask because they switched the dates for my surgery and it isn't clear to me when they start counting - from the last infusion or the end of the cycle.

• paloma1211
    Options

It was 3 weeks after I received my last infusion

• margun
    Options

anyone kniwswhat is the difference between the nipple sparing mastectomy and Goldilocks?

• margun
    Options

anyone knoswhat is the difference between the nipple sparing mastectomy and Goldilocks?

• Gonnabeatthis
    Gonnabeatthis Member Posts: 57
    Options

I had my last infusion on June 4 and I never lost all my hair. Since then I’ve noticed growth of the hair that remained but not much regrowth, I still have lots of skin showing! What has your experiences been? It’s been 7 weeks, it’s hot and I don’t feel comfortable going out without something on my head.

• paloma1211
    Options

I'm basically having the exact same experience, Gonnabeatthis. Every day wondering “where is the rest of my hair?!" And hoping it will come back soon. I'm six weeks out from my last chemo...

Edited to add: I asked on another board I follow, and it sounds like we may have to wait until 10 weeks out to start seeing new growth. And 4 months or so out to see a full head of (short) hair. I’m ready