Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Diet and Nutrition - Together!

Options

Comments

• pebblesv
    pebblesv Member Posts: 486
    Options

Hello ladies! I wanted to do a WORKOUT WEDNESDAY post, but I have to admit, I have no great advice right now as I'm still figuring out how to get my workouts in while having a full time job. I walk the pups in the morning, so not a lot of time for morning workouts. I'm exhausted when I come home after work and just want to lounge with my husband and the pups, or have lots of personal things to catch up on, so tough to work out after work. I do get a full hour lunch break so I've been going for 20 min. 1 mile walks during my lunch break at times, or heading to the nearby LA Fitness for a 1/2 hour workout. But obviously not every day.

Still... suggestions? How are other people getting your workouts in? I've been pretty good about losing weight just be eating healthier and non-processed (and cutting dairy, meat and sugar) but I have not quite tapped into the exercise side of this yet. And I know it's important given the study that said women who do a 1/2 hour of exercise 5 days a week lower their risk of recurrence by half!

I'm much better on weekends - my husband and I just started to play tennis again, and we walk to Farmer's Market with the pups which is good moderate exercise. It's the weekdays with my work schedule where I'm trying to figure it out...

Anyways, here are some cute puppy pics from Easter weekend while I wait for input - and below the pics, more personal responses to the other posts.

RiRi - yes, the bows, another pic posted just for you with the bows!

Ingerp - I think it's great that you are doing this one step at a time, and keeping in mind the long-term goals. On the veggies, I'm similar as I was never a veggie person but trying to eat more. I've recently discovered that boiled carrots are delicious! And... time for a new scale?

MountainMia - I think the fact that you're so healthy and fit to begin with is going to help you stay strong through treatment. It's true that there's no rhyme or reason for this - my sister is much heavier than me and bc-free - but I've noticed that little things with the right nutrition helps, and exercising through radiation treatment helped me with combating fatigue, so there are benefits!

Spoonie - SO GOOD TO SEE YOU HERE!!! Congrats on the weight loss, the first 5 lbs is the hardest so go you! I made the brownies in a batch of 12 and haven't frozen them, but kept them out (sealed) and they are still edible right now (I baked them on Friday). Give it a try and let me know what you think! Also I had cut carbs for awhile but still had the cravings, and my husband found recipes for bread with no sugar and baked me a loaf! I'm going to have to look up how he made it and will post to here, it was almond flour and honey and delicious. I am still seeking a way to have cake.

GreenHarbor - 7.7 lbs since January is awesome! I've been stagnant since the New Year... I lost 30 lbs. pretty effectively and have now stalled. Don't know if it's the tamoxifen or me getting back to work etc. Still trying to push past, very encouraged by your progress!

InnaB - Welcome back from vacation! An hour of yoga and Zumba daily is AMAZING!! Will be sending healing vibes for your upcoming May surgery. I'm SOooo impressed with your exercise routine, how do you get motivated?

tdallen - Totally there with you. After gaining weight, I made the decision when I was diagnosed to lose weight and I did lose weight before and after my surgery and while I was going through radiation. I wasn't on tamoxifen yet but I did lose weight through other treatment, so it's possible! Best of luck with your goal.

DebraC - I did a lot of research, and once useful site I found is https://foodforbreastcancer.com/ where I could look things up and the studies behind them to see if something was good or bad to fight breast cancer. The simple rules I came up with - no sugar, no dairy, limited red meat - not ever, just not now - grass-fed meat OK. Limit the processed foods, cook more, be more fresh. Honey is a great substitute for sugar, berries are golden, any fruit is good, carrots and tomatoes and cauliflower etc. are good, turkey/chicken/fish/seafood is fine (well, I can't give up meat, so I'm keeping those in). Just find what works for you!

Flower216 - Good for you on the Weight Watchers progress! Glad you found something that works for you!

OK - anyone have Workout Wednesday advice to help us get into the workout mode? How do you get motivated?

• TC73
    TC73 Member Posts: 13
    Options

Work out Wednesday..... I'm no expert but here is my advice - exercise is all about getting into a routine. It doesn't mater if you run or walk, just get moving. Pull your workout gear out and leave it on your bed in the morning before you leave for work, that way when you get home you will have a gentle reminder that you had comitted to exercising. If the weather is bad, don't put off exercising just change your plan for example: do 100 situps and 100 squats.

I've been exercising 5 days a week for the past 3 weeks (the routine is nearly set and it's starting to become second nature) and I'm starting to feel a lot better for it - but the weight loss has been minimal (7pounds). I know that the Tamoxifen has something to do with the low number, I'm going to remain positive and I'm going to keep moving.

Good luck.

• GreenHarbor
    GreenHarbor Member Posts: 187
    Options

Pebbles, you're off to a great start by walking at lunch sometimes! Since you're so busy during the week, I wonder if little things like parking farther away from a store or taking the stairs at work would help?

TC73 has a great point about using routines to fit your exercise in. I take classes at my gym 3 days per week. Especially at the beginning, thinking of exercise as an appointment I have to keep really helped me. I think the other key is finding something you enjoy. I hate running with every fiber of my being, but I enjoy walking.

My week has gotten a little off track. I've been munching on Easter candy since Sunday, and my seasonal allergies arrived at the same time as a bad cold. I'm going to the gym today, though!

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,514
    Options

Pebbles--I feel like I don't have the right to counsel anyone about going to the gym because I'm fortunate enough to almost always work from home. There are many days that the only time I leave the house is to go to the gym. I also have no kids at home, so I feel like I really don't have an excuse *not* to go. Where is the gym located in relation to your work and home? Hubs goes to his gym on the way home from work. He'd never get there if he came home first. Is it possible for you to pack an extra snack and some gym clothes and head there straight from work? Back when I joined my gym, I went maybe three days a week. I kept that up for quite a while and slowly started adding days. I regularly go six days a week now, but starting small but committing to it might help. Like seriously, if you're doing okay on the weekends, how about committing to the gym one day a week? Do that for a month or three and then think about adding a second day. My oldest is a personal trainer and he told me several years ago that the people who make an exercise plan stick are the ones who start to see themselves as people who work out--like it becomes part of how they define themselves. I never thought it'd be me (seriously--I sat on my butt for a good 20 years), but here I am 5-1/2 years later and yes--I do work out! (And just re: the scale, I've never owned one. I kind of like having limited access to one so I'm not tempted to weigh more than once a week. I'm also throwing up my hands a bit as to seeing any significant changes in the month left before our vacation. We leave exactly a month from today--hooray!!--but I keep having calorie-laden things being added to my calendar. Fun for me but not good for my waistline!)

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766
    Options

Regarding motivation: I think yoga helps me with it. I never liked it before my diagnosis. I preferred active workouts like Zumba, aerobics, weights and suchlike. But I ended up injuring myself 4 years ago and was forced to cut some of it. I started doing yoga every day in the morning in December and now I am addicted. Sometimes I do 30 min of yoga and 30 min of Pilates or cardio. I work from home, which helps. But I learned on Monday that my position will be eliminated in January of next year, so not sure yet how I will fare next year in terms of exercise. Will let you ladies know!

• ingerp
    Options

I only do yoga two days a week but I'm convinced it becomes more important the older you get. There's just nothing like it for joint flexibility and balance. The side I had surgery on was tight--like I couldn't lie on my back and fully extend that arm into a T position--but it has slowly opened up just from the little bit of yoga I do to the point where it's almost where my other arm is. Inna my hubs does an Amazon yoga video now and then but I really like the variability of my classes--every single one is different. That said, I really should be doing a little bit at home on my own every day. I hope to never be a little hunched-over old lady! (I can also tell you how much it helped me when I was going through the various screening procedures--like it kept me calm through my MRI. There is a very valid benefit on the mental side as well as physical.)

• GreenHarbor
    Options

More motivation for people trying to increase their activity level: my husband's Aunt Fern is 93 or 94. She was hospitalized with pneumonia a few years ago, and needed to go to rehab before going home. They gave her exercises to do each morning. She still does them every morning, and has gained THREE INCHES in height! She also owns an iPad and cell phone and knows how to use them both, and is firmly in possession of all her marbles.

• l8blmr
    l8blmr Member Posts: 76
    Options

Love that story! Thanks for sharing GreenHarbor. Time to get moving..........

• pebblesv
    Options

Hi ladies! Thanks to your excellent advice and motivation, I did my 20 minute 1 mile walk today during my lunch break. And there’s a co-worker of mine and we plan to take the walk together every day if we can, although Ingerp has an excellent point re: small steps. So maybe I will start with 2x a week then 3x a week then onward, and get into a routine like TC73 suggested.

GreenHarbor - love the story on your 93-94 year young Aunt. What exercises is she doing that helped her gain 3 inches in height? Because I need them LOL. And yes I do take the stairs at home (garage is lower level) and park further now at stores, I agree it’s the little things.

TC73 - 7 lbs is a lot! I’m impressed.

Ingerp - there’s a gym a 5 min drive from work and one close to home, it’s just that after being away from the pups all day, I want to be home with them (and my husband!) at night. You know how I love those pups. But along with my walk at work maybe I can figure out some home workouts to do.

InnaB - yoga and Zumba and weights are great! I enjoy those as well, I just need to figure out if I can do more of it on weekdays. Good luck with the impending position change, it might lead to something even better for you.

Home now with some cuddly puppies. I did some sit ups when I came home too, one step at a time! Domino and Tucker are cheering me on:

• ingerp
    Options

Pebbles--not sure what GH's aunt is doing (she sounds wonderful!), but I know when I was doing Pilates I grew a bit. It's very focused on opening your spine, and I think it's common to become taller. Yoga might help a bit with that too.

• mysticalcity
    mysticalcity Member Posts: 184
    Options

New research from Marshall University links walnut consumption as a contributing factor that could suppress growth and survival of breast cancers.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/03/190328112514.htm

• new2bc
    new2bc Member Posts: 252
    Options

Here is another link for walnut consumption:

https://www.naturalhealth365.com/cancer-walnuts-2952.html

• pebblesv
    Options

Awesome links to the walnut study, thx ladies!

Ingerp - thx for the tip! Definitely going to see if I can do more Yoga and Pilates, especially on weekends.

How is everyone doing? There’s a Songkran Festival today for Thai New Year’s so I might have to relax my eating restrictions a bit to celebrate. But will be walking a lot to balance it out!

Will prob feel like doing this after the festival lol.

• purplecat
    purplecat Member Posts: 226
    Options

Aww, puppers!

I've worked really hard at fitting in exercise over the past couple of weeks, and have been eating veggies like a rabbit. My weigh-in isn't until tomorrow, but I feel optimistic that I'll be at the five-pound mark after five weeks. The pace feels glacial, but they say slow and steady is the way to go if you want the weight loss to be long term.

I came across this recipe just in time for Easter dinner, and it's soooo delicious I'm making it again this week just for me. Broccoli salad with apples, pears, cashews, dried cranberries, red onion, and a yogurt dressing.

https://12tomatoes.com/broccoli-apple-cashew-salad/

(I may substitute walnuts for the cashews based on the other links just posted ... :-) )

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    Options

PurpleCat, the salad sounds delicious, and yeah, I'd sub in walnuts, too. And if I didn't have pears handy, I'd just add more apples!

I just pulled some oatmeal raisin cookies from the oven. Had to make sure they were okay. Yup!

Not sure what exercise I'll get today. We got more than an inch of rain overnight and it's still gloomy out, though starting to brighten. Bet I can get some walk in later.

• pebblesv
    Options

Purplecat how did the weigh in go? 5 lbs is a big deal, and slow and steady is the right pace! I lost weight too quickly once and it just came back, so I've been going at a much slower pace recently but also keeping it off. And thx for the awesome recipe!

MountainMia - oatmeal raisin cookies sound great! Is there a recipe to share?

To all - Tucker wanted to give his nutrition recommendation here but I think he is biased:

So instead, my nugget for the week is BOILED CARROTS. They make a great snack and carrots are a huge cancer-fighting food.

Speaking of nuggets, here's the little nugget Domino doing what she does (lookin' cute):

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    Options

Pebbles, the oatmeal cookie recipe is just the one inside the lid of Quakers Old-fashioned oats box. Well, except I increased the cinnamon from 1 teaspoon to closer to 1 tablespoon.

• InnaB2018
    Options

Fell completely off the wagon in terms of the diet this week. These steroids are driving me crazy. 3 more days left!

• ingerp
    Options

Inna of course they are! Cut yourself some slack.

• hikinglady
    hikinglady Member Posts: 625
    Options

Getting back into exercise and dealing with weight and food--my story at this point... I now have had 2 months of no-restrictions exercising, after healing from implant surgery in January and foot hardware removal in December. This is after about 15 months of reduced mobility and activity. I had foot surgery in February of 2018 and mobility issues before that because of arthritis in my midfoot. Then came breast cancer. So, now after 2 months of daily exercise, I'm feeling quite good, and noticing improvement in all strength and aerobic capacity. My main exercise is 1 hour of deep water exercise in the pool, with resistance cuffs and foam barbells. I also do some floor exercise mat work for core, lots of gardening, lots of walking, and some free weights. I'm retired, so the first thing I do every day is exercise at 7 or 7:30 a.m.

Weight. Ugh. I have a yo-yo weight situation going on, for sure. I have been carrying around 25-30 lbs of extra weight for ten years. I lost 20 lbs in 2018 over 10 months, throughout surgery and chemo treatment time, by eating 100% correctly. Lots of protein, and really zero simple carbs. No alcohol, nothing sweet, high protein diet during chemo, as instructed by my MO. In the fall, right as chemo ended, I had to be on a super high steroid dose for 2 months because of a lung inflammation caused by chemo. Was starving all the time. Gained 10 lbs. Ugh. Was sad to see my too-fat-ness return. The lung inflammation resolved after 2-4 months of labored breathing (it felt like pneumonia; couldn't take a deep breath, couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without gasping), and the steroids helped turn that corner. Then, I started my AI and gained another 5 lbs. Immediately. Is that the AI-starting experience for everyone? Possibly, I just over-ate because I indulged myself because I feel like a trauma victim after last year.

I'm happy to now have lost that 5 lbs, over the past six weeks. YAY!!!! Since my plan is working, I'll continue it, and describe it here.

My diet plan and how I eat every day....I exercise every day for one hour. My "diet," which I'll just say is better described as my "general way I need to eat to not get fatter" is as follows: I am an omnivore. I eat 3 meals a day + 2 mini-meals. I have protein every time I eat. I eat zero simple carbs. So, breakfast is my homemade granola with rolled oats, nuts and seeds and dried fruit, and I don't eat anything with white flour. Further, I've noticed that if I eliminate all starchy things, even brown rice and whole grain bread and potatoes the rest of the day, I do the best on weight loss. So, I mostly eat lots of vegetables + fruit + meat + dairy. I try to consider reasonable portion control, as well, every time I put food on my plate. When I started eating my homemade granola for breakfast 4 years ago, this one dietary change made my cholesterol lower in a remarkable way in just 3 months between blood draws (oat bran, which is in rolled oats, is a good choice for that issue), so that's another reason I start my day with that.

Twice a week, maybe three times, I eat whatever I want for one meal, so there will be a martini or a glass of wine, or both, + bread or potatoes, etc. I don't have a sweet tooth, so I don't mind having zero desserts in my life, but alcohol feels like a dessert, as far as naughtiness on this way of eating. Also, I know that I should have my alcohol down to 3 drinks per week to reduce b.c. recurrence risk. I tend to cheat on that and have more like 4-5 drinks a week, over those 2-3 days of Fun Dinners. Oops. If I don't have those two or three Fun Meals to look forward to, I can't manage those other 4-5 days of disciplined eating. Ideally, I should cut down to really only 3 drinks a week, not 4-5. Ugh. Still working on finding the balance between Fun Units and Safety in this new reality.....

My two between-meal snacks are usually a hardboiled egg + half an apple, or two corn tortillas (that type is always whole grain), rolled up with pepper-jack cheese melted inside. Or, 1/2 c cottage cheese with pepper, sea salt & paprika mixed in. Or a smoothie made with fruit & greens & yogurt & banana & protein powder. Sometimes, I make a "power bowl" for a meal. So, lunch yesterday was quinoa + shrimp + avocado + many veggies + a simple dressing. Basically, a salad w/ protein is my best friend for one meal each day. I usually eat more or less like The Zone Diet (Barry Sears), which balances blood sugar and is super-full of nutrients, and keeps my metabolism on track.

My goal is to try to lose another 10-15 lbs over the next six months or so. If possible. Or, at least stay stable. I seem to gain weight really easily on the AI, so I am going to have to really be vigilant to not gain weight, I fear....

• pebblesv
    Options

HikingLady - thank you for sharing in such detail! SOooo helpful as I’ve lost weight, then plateau’d, then gained, and need to push to lose weight again. I think your no carbs advice is the trick and I may try some of what you’re doing on the diet plan. Congrats on the recent 5 lb weight loss!

MountainMia - thx I’ll take a look!

Ingerp and InnaB - My turn now to be on vacation, on a Thursday the husband and I are off to Italy! I know Ingerp will advise me to just enjoy and I plan to, but I do think/hope that I can actually lose weight while on holiday because I will be a lot more active than when I’m at work sitting at my desk all day. So we will see!

To all ladies - Domino would like to send her “May the 4th be with you” message as she re-enacts, “Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you’re my only hope.” Hope this image helps you stay positive this weekend!

• GreenHarbor
    Options

OMG, Pebbles- that’s the best Domino photo ever!!! Safe travels to you and hubby, and have fun. <3.

• pebblesv
    Options

Thx GreenHarbor! Can’t wait. We are overdue for a break as I’m sure everyone here understands.

• TC73
    TC73 Member Posts: 13
    Options

Domino is just too cute. Have a great holiday Pebbles.

• ingerp
    Options

Pebbles--I think a lot of people don't gain weight on vacation because of all the walking. Hope you have a wonderful vacation!! And happy belated May the Fourth to Domino!

• pebblesv
    Options

Thx TC73 and Ingerp! We’re off on Thursday. I’m going to relax my no dairy and no red meat while on holiday, also because I think when freshly made and less processed it’s hopefully OK.

Hope everyone’s well and will check in when I’m back! Here’s how I feel about the upcoming vacation... last year was all about treatment and no travel, so really feel ready for some travel again.

• InnaB2018
    Options

Pebbles, are you taking your fur babies with you? Have a great vacation in any case!

• 2002chickadee
    2002chickadee Member Posts: 79
    Options

Hi everyone,

I'm back from a 13 day vacation to Arizona and Utah with the hubs and two kids (3 and 6) -- it was amazing! America is full of so many beautiful places! It felt like I turned a big page in the book of life away from cancer and back to living and adventures. What an important reminder of how we need to nourish our whole selves, whatever that means to each of us.

Riding that happiness into spring and green leaves and flowering trees here in NYC. The farmer's market finally has vegetables besides old potatoes, and I picked up a beautiful bunch of breakfast radishes on Sunday. The greens seemed really vibrant (unlike radishes you buy at the grocery store, where they are always squashed and sort of moldy), so I googled and found a radish pesto recipe, I never knew they were so nutritious. I ate it with soba noodles and roasted sweet potatoes. Super delish!

Here's the recipe, I didn't follow it precisely because I was too lazy to measure and forgot the lemon, but it's the right proportions. https://www.fromachefskitchen.com/radish-greens-pesto/

• applejuice
    applejuice Member Posts: 49
    Options

I didn't get to post much here, but since i started Tamoxifen I do try to keep up with a keto diet and intermittent fasting. I notice that now my body reacts much different when trying to lose weight, i lose much slower than i used to. I might be the menopause, the Tamoxifen or both. Recently i started yoga again and i feel like going everyday. It makes me feel very well after the sessions and it keeps me going back! After one hour yoga, i usually do 10-15 min of steam room and that relaxes every tiny muscle in my body. I think the diet helps keeping me energised. I work full time and the only time i can go to yoga is during evenings which is a bit difficult, as there is not much time left to cook dinner, spend some t. with family, take the dog to the park, etc.

Just wanted to tell that i read your posts as often as i can and it helps knowing that i am not alone struggling with these issues!

Hugs to all

• pebblesv
    Options

InnaB - they are staying in the US with a puppy sitter. I would love to bring them and Domino pretty much travels everywhere with me in the US, I just worry about quarantines for international travel. But that’s the hardest part about the trip! I will miss the pups and visa versa!

2002chickadee - WELCOME BACK!! And welcome back to the book of life, I hope we all get to that page and have this more and more in the rear view mirror. I love radishes, think I will try your recipe when I’m back!

Applejuice - I’m also on tamoxifen and more maintaining my weight vs losing, where before I lost 30 lbs even while going through radiation. I guess it’s the long game so I’m trying to be patient. Very true that the other benefit of the diet is staying energized and strong!

To all ladies - I’m off to Italy on Thursday so while I might check in just to read the posts, I plan to take a break from actually posting until after I’m back from vacation. I am hoping to be more active on vacation than I usually am in the office and maybe that will help with weight loss, but I also plan to enjoy the Italian food so we will see!

This was Domino’s look when I mentioned I’m going away for a week - she was not a fan:

Then I said I’m coming back and I got this:

Tucker says he’s going to hit up the local restaurants while paw mom and dad are traveling:

LOL. Anyways if you want your paw fix while I’m not posting, as LPlibrary and others know, you can see pics of the pups on their Instagram page which is pretty much dedicated to them: https://www.instagram.com/pebbles_paw_family/

Thx ladies! Hope you keep up the thread while I’m on holiday and hopefully I will return with some Italian recipes to share