Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2019 surgery support group

Options

Comments

• purple-flower
    purple-flower Member Posts: 74
    Options

Hey DawnS - what is a gummy bear implant? Never heard that before. It looks like I will have implants also and my tumor is pretty close to the skin - top near armpit, so perhaps this will relate for me later too. sigh. So glad to hear you are progressing!!

PF

• DawnS1962
    DawnS1962 Member Posts: 198
    Options

Purple-flower, this is what I've found on gummy implants

https://www.healthline.com/health/gummy-bear-implants

• okjoan
    okjoan Member Posts: 7
    Options

The SNB has made me very sore. I cannot imagine how you're mananging with a baby!

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 518
    Options

Dawn

I believe that gummy bear implants are textured. Ask your PS if they are part of the recent recall.

They’ve tied certain textured implants to an increased risk of a certain type of lymphoma (small risk)

Tracy

• prehistoricmom
    prehistoricmom Member Posts: 57
    Options

Hey y'all ANYONE can learn to knit/crochet. Find a local shop that offers lessons & I promise you will meet lifelong friends. Knitters don't seem to have much of a filter.

Tracy, my son has Asperger's too. We used to play a lot of things together, cook together, watch movies, & one by one he lost interest. He can hardly look at me or speak to me right now b/c I ruined his life. I'm hoping he's not dealing with schizo affective. 16 is when that stuff can kick in. Sorry to be a bummer, it's just super hard right now.

• tmh0921
    Options

I'm sorry to hear this Prehistoricmom

My son was just diagnosed at age 10 (last year). I honestly thought he had ADHD, but thank goodness they evaluated him for more. When he was younger he struggled with anger and acting out due to that. (He'd throw chairs at school, etc.) We've worked hard to get him through that and he's much better, but still has his moments. Now we have new struggles with sensory overload, “stubbornness" for lack of a better term, social cues, and maturity.

I hope things with your son improve. Our kids brains are wired differently and it's a real challenge at times.

Hugs to you

• notdefined
    notdefined Member Posts: 267
    Options

Hi all. Checking in. Still in the ICU. Sleep has been a challenge not because of pain, but because of all the noises and constant checking in. I should be in a regular room tonight, and then go home tomorrow. I've seen my PS several times, but never met (or at least don't remember meeting) with mastectomy surgeon. He's the one I really want to talk to. My stomach from the diep looks great. I've been up walking a couple of times and feel good. Except when I cough. That is painful. My mom, sister, husband and kids have been in rotation so I haven't been on my phone much.

Hope you are all doing well. I'm so glad this part is done!

• Belinda977
    Belinda977 Member Posts: 150
    Options

So thankful to be reading your posts. Just like the first time, the waiting is the hardest part. Prayers/positive vibes for those who just went thru surgery.

Ordered two of the shirts with drain pockets and the tool belt looking pouch for the drain bulbs. For the first week, I will be on some type of negative pressure device. So that will be interesting.

Keep looking forward until we are all looking in the rear view mirror at this time in our lives. xoxoxo

• notdefined
    Options

Oh! I wanted to add that a large safety pin works just fine for my drains. Pocketed shirts and other gadgets were not as necessary.

• tmh0921
    Options

notdefined

So happy to hear your recovery is going well. You’re correct, hospitals are not places of rest. I hope you continue to do well and get to go home tomorrow

• prehistoricmom
    Options

Thanks, Tracy! I hope so. What 16-year-old boy stays the same for very long?

Sounds like you/your team have been doing a brilliant job with him.

Stubbornness is key, lol! Wonder where mine got that?

notdefined--good to hear you're on the mend!! You'll be happy to get out of ICU! (and then soon enough coughing with gusto)

• DawnS1962
    DawnS1962 Member Posts: 198
    Options

notdefined, I'm glad you're doing well. Did your breast surgeon talk to your family after surgery?

I saw mine the morning after surgery but he did speak to my family after surgery was completed.

• notdefined
    Options

Thanks TMH and prehistoric! Yes feeling better each day! But sleep is definitely interrupted. Last night there was some major issues going on in the room next to me. I also have a son on the spectrum. He is only 7, and loves Minecraft too. I may try to kill some time learning to play it with him in the next couple of days. My cancer diagnosis has made him aware of life not being forever. It makes me sad he worrie's about his own death now.

Thank you Dawn. It's possible they spoke to my mom, but she doesn't remember. The BS doesn't usually work out of this hospital, and I was told he had to leave right after for his next surgery at his home location. He sent me an email, and we will discuss the surgery on Friday. I really just wanted to know his thoughts of how everything looked, but I will just have to wait.

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

hi Notdefined - I am happy the surgery went well and it seems you are happy with Mommy makeover. Wishing you fast recovery

• prehistoricmom
    Options

Hey undefined. Yes, do it! Learn to play Minecraft! It gave me vertigo so I missed out. Does your guy love Lego?

Early grappling w/mortality might even be a thing--mine was stressed about death (and God!?) from maybe 4 on (our English Mastiff died).

Hope your little guy might even snuggle with you a little ;) in the coming weeks.

• notdefined
    Options

Aw sorry about the loss of your dog. We lost our pit bull mix last summer.

My son does love to snuggle. Both he and his twin sister were trying to get in my hospital bed with me yesterday. I'm glad I only needed one side done. I don't know how I would get up with both sides being sore.

• tmh0921
    Options

Legos!!!! My son also loves legos. He's been putting big sets together for years, and even designs his own. My dining room looks like an explosion in a lego factory we have so many. Maybe Legos and Minecraft tie together because they are building things.

My son has always talked about angels, for a while, he would tell me he had angels in his room and he fed them oranges (not sure why oranges, but ok). He would tell me that when we die, our angels leave our bodies to go to heaven. But other than that he wasn't worried. The worry has come with this diagnosis and our honesty with he and his older brother about the disease. I hate that they lost some of that childhood innocence over this.

I just got out of a hot shower. Ladies, I can't tell you how much showers have become a new favorite activity. So relaxing, and I feel so much better after a shower. My surgeon is signing my return to work papers Friday, so I get to go back to work onMonday! This will give me a week and a half of relative “normal" before chemo starts on 9/4.

• ACchaos
    ACchaos Member Posts: 42
    Options

Just had my drain teach appointment. Surgery is on Friday.

All the compartmentalization is crashing down pretty hard. I don't know how I missed that I won't be able to drive for at least two weeks and possibly longer. Or the fact that drains may be in for up to twenty-one days. Somehow, I just didn't process any of that info. And now I'm a day and a half away from my surgery and it's just...a bit much.

I don't think I've had a good cry yet. I'm betting it's coming.

• notdefined
    Options

Oh forgot about the Lego question. My son plays with them, but doesn't love them per se.

ACchaos-i live in Sac. too. Sending hugs. I thought this was going to be a lot worse than it is right now. Do your thing. I had a good cry before my surgery, and it did help calm my nerves a little. Also that meditation series I posted earlier was a huge help.

• arizonaboundgal
    arizonaboundgal Member Posts: 38
    Options

Happy to hear that all went well, notdefined! Hope you're home and resting easy soon.

• notdefined
    Options

Congrats TMH on being released! I moved out of the ICU! I hope I can get some rest now. There is a good chance I'll be released tomorrow morning.

I don't know who else is coming up for surgery, but sending positive vibes to anyone who is left.

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

to ladies that had Taxol. I still have lower leg and lower arm on and off. bone pain . Any of you are experiencing that and any idea when it will disappear? Fast recovery to all of us

• prehistoricmom
    Options

Tracy, your son fed the angels oranges. That's the loveliest thing I've heard all day besides everyone getting out of ICU, drains, etc.

My guy has been batshit about Lego since he was old enough to hold a couple Duplos.

I would like to announce with pride that ... I have a PhD in Thomas the Tank Engine 📜

• tmh0921
    Options

ACchaos - The whole surgery process really has been easier than I expected. If you need a good cry, go for it. I’m a firm believer that sometimes we all need a good ugly cry (swollen red eyes, snot, and all) to cleanse our mind and reset a little. We’ll all be there with you in our thoughts, you’ve got this.

Prehistoricmom - PhD in Thomas the Train LOL, I LOVED Thomas the Train

• notdefined
    Options

My son loved Thomas the train! He went to Pokemon from there, and now it's Minecraft.

Margun hope you are doing well. I don't have bone pain anymore, but I was getting it consistently during taxol. I think it stopped after a week PFC. Sorry you are having that symptom.

• notdefined
    Options

Thanks arizonabound for the well wishes. I'm slowly feeling myself.

I can't wait to take a shower, and be in my own bed.

• lms458412
    lms458412 Member Posts: 289
    Options

I'm glad you're feeling good, notdefined. I hope you get some sleep tonight!

Belinda977 - I bought one of those belts with the pouches for my drain bulbs and it was so convenient. I never worried about pulling the tubes and I could sort of hide the bulbs under my (loose) shirts. Now that my drains are out, I need to figure out what else I can use it for!

I was never interested in Minecraft, but now I'm trying to find ways to connect with and spend more time with my 9 year old. So, I learned how to play and we spend lots of time building different worlds on the weekend. He's so excited to have his mom play. I have to listen to all kinds of details that I'll never understand or remember, but it makes him so happy. Today, we played a board game after school. I'm trying to spend more time focusing on him. It helps me forget my troubles for awhile and makes happy memories for both of us.

He used to be into Legos. We have tons and tons of them, but he doesn't play with them as often. He still asks for them for birthdays and Christmas, but only the Minecraft or Architecture ones. He builds them and displays them, but that's it. So, we don't buy sets too often anymore.

I'm glad you get to go back to work, Tracy! Yay for some normalcy.

• kps918
    kps918 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hello Ladies,

New to the group. Had my bmx with diep flap reconstruction on August 2nd. Thankful to have others to talk to, although I wish none of us had to go through this. Good luck to those with upcoming surgeries. One day at a time. Lots of water and lots of rest.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,067
    Options

Welcome, kps918! Although we hate the reason you are here, we're glad to see that you found us and decided to reach out to others for support. We hope you're having a smooth recovery. If there's anything you need help with or have any comment for us, please feel free to contact us. We're always here.

Best wishes,

From the Mods

• arizonaboundgal
    arizonaboundgal Member Posts: 38
    Options

Howdy kps918. :) How's recovery going for you?

AC...wishing you all the best on your upcoming surgery. You can do this!

Hey Tracy! You must be happy to be heading back to work. Wishing you a smooth return back.

Hope you get sprung today, undefined!

OMG, I forgot to mention that I got my drains pulled yesterday and got to take off that torturous surgery bra! It was replaced with a soft ace bandage. I feel sooooo free!!