Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2019 surgery support group

Options

Comments

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 518
    Options

FTM - It’s normal to have some soreness and stiffness, the key is to move your arms regularly and extend your range of motion. I hope the remainder of your treatment goes well and you can enjoy your son.

Trying2staypositive - I may have punched that doctor. Glad you kicked him to the curb

Arizona - glad your surgery went well, hoping for good pathology results.

• tmh0921
    Options

prehistoricmom

Good luck tomorrow

• lms458412
    lms458412 Member Posts: 289
    Options

I hope everything goes smoothly tomorrow, prehistoric.

• arizonaboundgal
    arizonaboundgal Member Posts: 38
    Options

Thinking of you today, Prehistoric! Go get 'em. You'll do great.

• HopeWins
    HopeWins Member Posts: 81
    Options

Purple Flower - I think I saw a post where you were still struggling with your decision on treatment. I wanted to share this post that Beesie put together with pros and cons of different treatment options. I'm not sure how to post links here, but if you search, this is the Forum and the name of the topic: → Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After→ Topic: Considerations: Lumpectomy w/Rads vs. UMX vs. BMX

I found my first surgeon to be judgmental of my desire to be more aggressive in my treatment. When I first went to her I only had a stereotactic biopsy result of ADH and some other red flags, family history, etc. but I'm (only) 47. I wanted a BMX then and she wouldn't even have a conversation about it. She said - Oh, honey you're just scared. Yes, I was scared but I also knew what I wanted. I ended up having the excisional biopsy and I was diagnosed with DCIS. I had one sketchy margin and when I went back for the post-op/next steps appt, we sat down and she told me what "we" were going to do - I'm going to go back in, take a little bit more tissue. Your scar may be a little thicker. It will only take 15 min. You should see the MO and the RO, but you may not even need rads.... That's it. No presentation of choices, discussion about recurrence chances, zilch.

I said - What if I want to be more aggressive? She frowned but ultimately said she'd support me. I had a lot of anxiety over taking a different path than what she recommended. It really ate me up. Ultimately, I ended up switching teams because I was considering DIEP and wanted a more experienced PS. When I met the new BS he told me my options. I told him I wanted BMX and he said - That's fine. It's my job to educate my patients. YAAASSSS - that's right.

I've personally experienced and also heard of so many BS who think their only job is to save boobs! That's wonderful for the women who want save their boobs, but for the women with varying personal and family history, fears, anxieties and different levels of attachments to our boobs - IT'S OUR BODY AND OUR DECISION. My choices were 2nd surgery/lumpectomy, rads, HRT, MRIs every 6 months or mastectomy. If I went unilateral, I would still need HRT for 10% chance of new primary in contralateral or I'd have approx 20% chance of developing a new bc, and this was the most conservative estimate I found. The BS also said something interesting and that is - "women who opt for prophylactic mastectomies drive the scientists nuts because they can't adjust their studies to account for that." There is a medical org that develops standards of care for bs. I want to believe most of it is based on science and good intentions, but there are certainly political and economic factors there.

Follow your gut, not the fear or agendas of others. If you feel optimistic about your prognosis, comfortable with lumpectomy and the treatment path that your Drs have presented, then go with that. If your gut is telling you that you might want to be "radical" then at least explore a second opinion. Depending on where you live, you might be able to get a recommendation for a BS on the forum. Alternatively, maybe have a consult with an MO. I found mine to be very practical / not pushy about treatment options.

Best wishes to you.

• Belinda977
    Belinda977 Member Posts: 150
    Options

Greetings! New here and having a DMX with implants (risky I know) on 8/29/19

Had IDC in 2012 in left with Lumpectomy, radiation and Tamoxifen (99% ER positive). Recently diagnosed with DCIS Intermediate grade in right ER+ 97%. Opted for a DMX and am a little terrified. But reading your posts have helped me and it seems very do-able. Thanks in advance for all of the wisdom.

• cherokeelady
    cherokeelady Member Posts: 31
    Options

Calls this morning from the Cancer Treatment Center hospital where I was scheduled for seed placement on August 19 and IORT on August 28 ... they were calling to inform me the August 28 date does not work for them after all (not certain why, perhaps double-scheduling?). I'm okay with this.

Sending out love and prayers for all August 2019 Pink Warriors!

• tmh0921
    Options

Welcome Belinda!

I just had my BMX last Monday (8/5), plus a latissimus Doris flap on my left side and tissue expanders on both sides. The surgery and recovery have honestly been far easier than I anticipated. The worst part for me has been the surgical drains ( not painful, just uncomfortable and annoying] and the boredom from not being able to drive and go to work.

You’ve got this!

Tracy

• tmh0921
    Options

CherokeeLady - wishing you well on you’re procedures, whenever they may end up scheduled.

Tracy

• tmh0921
    Options

Updating our list

August 1 - LMS458412 - bilateral mastectomy w/o reconstruction

August 2 - sagelady - L mastectomy with sentinel node bx

August 5 - tmh0921 - bilateral mastectomy, latissimus dorsi flap reconstruction on my left breast, and tissue expander placement bilaterally

August 5 - Peggy814 - Bilateral Mastectomy

August 6 - okjoan - lumpectomy and axillary node biopsy

August 8 - laurencl - Right mastectomy with tissue expander placement

August 8 - dawns1962 - nipple sparring (hopefully) mastectomy of my right breast and expanders, left breast lifted

August 8 - ik0106 - lumpectomy

August 13 - arizonaboundgal - bilateral mastectomy with no reconstruction

August 16 - prehistoricmom - left lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy

August 19 - ucfknights' mom - bilateral mastectomy

August 19- notdefined - unilateral mastectomy with diep reconstruction

August 20 - AK_btrfly - Bilateral mastectomy and free tram flap

August 28- CherokeeLady - IORT (being rescheduled - good luck CherokeeLady)

August 29 - Belinda977 - Bilateral mastand Implants

August ? - Nadia_D - right breast mastectomy with tissue expander placement

August ? - Margun - bilateral Goldilocks

August ? - Kkmay - mom is having Left Mastectomy

• tmh0921
    Options

I got a copy of my final pathology report today and it just confirmed my decision to have a BMX with chemo to follow. I had both IDC and DCIS in my left breast, both grade 3, largest dimension 3.2cm. There was lymphovascular invasion present, but both lymph nodes that appeared suspicious on imaging were negative for malignancy. All margins were clear of both IDC and DCIS

My right breast also had a lot going on, including fibroadenomas, papilloma, micro calcifications, and hyperplasia.

So I'm officially stage 2A, still early stage and treatable. Up next for me is chemo. I meet with my oncologist on Monday to finalize the plan and dates (start in the next couple of weeks)

Tracy

*** Edited to add that my last two drains were pulled today, and I was given the ok to drive. Next week I’ll get clearance to go back to work.

• trackercs
    trackercs Member Posts: 3
    Options

Bilateral mastectomy on July 22, 2019. re-excision on August 5. Lumpectomy in 2015. No reconstruction. Living Flat.

• notdefined
    notdefined Member Posts: 267
    Options

Thinking of you today prehistoric! Positive vibes!

• DawnS1962
    DawnS1962 Member Posts: 198
    Options

prehistoric, I hope all went well.

I had my second drain removed yesterday. One more to go. My pathology report shows only 1 of 14 nodes removed was positive. BS got clear margins but there is a 2nd mass, 0.7cm that's non invasive carcinoma very close to the skin so I will be getting radiation and I'm guessing Kadcyla. I meet with MO 8/28 to discuss treatment going forward.

I'm looking forward to the few weeks off.

Hoping everyone whose had surgery is recovering well.

🤗🤗

Dawn

• Belinda977
    Belinda977 Member Posts: 150
    Options

Thanks for the welcome! I have been reading the earlier posts. . I can't wait to be other side of my surgery and praying for no surprises with my pathology. I think my biggest hurdle will be the healing in my breast where I had radiation.....

• eveldon
    eveldon Member Posts: 31
    Options

Hey ladies! I had a RMX on 8/12 and have been reading your posts. Glad to see everyone doing well and hating on the drains

Happy You can add me to the list.....

• notdefined
    Options

http://74.62.111.169/kaiser/download/download_successfulSurgery.asp

I thought I would share pre and post surgery affirmation meditation that was provided by my health care provider.

• prehistoricmom
    prehistoricmom Member Posts: 57
    Options

Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone! Seems like everything went as planned & nodes were "squishy" lol. Sore like I WORKED OUT which believe me, I did not. Slept terribly--did everyone? That full moon?

Now hoping for the best for ucfknights's mom.

Lots of positive vibes to you CherokeeLady!

And welcome to you, Belinda. You're in good & nonjudgmental company here.

• arizonaboundgal
    arizonaboundgal Member Posts: 38
    Options

WTG, Prehistoric! Happy to hear that you're through surgery and your nodes were squishy! The first few nights were pretty sleepless for me, too. I felt tired, but also wired...if that makes any sense.

Tracy and Dawn...sounds like there were no big surprises on your pathology reports. Hope you both have time to chill a bit before chemo.

Welcome trackercs, Belinda, eveldon. This is a great forum and I'm sure you will all get a lot of support and advice here.

ucfkights and notdefined! Wishing you all the best for an easy surge and quick recovery. You can do this!

I'm doing really good still. I'm going to call tomorrow to schedule my drain removal and hope to hear about my pathology results sometime this coming week. Actually got on the indoor bike for a few minutes yesterday and just pedaled easily. Felt great for my head.

I'm 5 days out from surgery and still haven't looked at my chest. (Or lack thereof!) Maybe today. I'm apprehensive, but know I will get used to it.

Hope everyone has a healing Sunday.

• lms458412
    lms458412 Member Posts: 289
    Options

Arizonabound - It's still hard for me to look at my chest. It's going to take months to get used to it. I know I will feel better once the scars heal. Good for you for exercising! I have taken a few walks, but still pretty tired out after doing all the household chores. I hope to get on a stationary bike this week, though. It's time.

Good luck to notdefined and ucfknights' mom. I live 10 minutes from UCF, by the way. Hubby is a Knight!

• prehistoricmom
    prehistoricmom Member Posts: 57
    Options

Dawn that sounds ... manageable? Disappointing to have second mass but noninvasive? Good to have drains out anyway, yes?

Extra-good vibes to notdefined and ucfknights' mom for tomorrow!

P.S. does anyone have a podcast they like? I've looked up a few but only "breast cancer 1 to 1 with firefly sisterhood" appeals so far. Easier to find than to say, the logo looks like "1 to 1 with firefly"

• ucfknights
    ucfknights Member Posts: 91
    Options

surgery tomorrow! Thank you so much ladies for thinking of us!

• notdefined
    Options

Good luck tomorrow Ucfknights and Margun!

• notdefined
    Options

Thank you prehistoric, and LMS!

• purple-flower
    purple-flower Member Posts: 74
    Options

Hopewins

Thank you so much for the thoughtful note. Yes I am struggling with the decision and many other things. I would really prefer a lumpectomy and MRI but I don't think that is a wise decision with chances of return in same breast, other breast, spread etc. I thought I would be okay doing one step at a time and if I had to do surgery later I would. But the more I read and worry I am not sure what I can and want to do. If this was in situ it would be easy decision for me. But I replay the word invasive in my head over and over and over.. So then double mastectomy seems the clear path, but I feel very unprepared for that. and yet pressed and really stressed about delaying for more time and I think lump surgery can be done this week but mast would have to wait longer.

To be honesr, I am terrified of this whole path... surgery, treatment, node analysis, chemo, follow up, life after on meds for bones brain and no drinking etc. I feel like the rug has been pulled out from under my whole life.

Sorry to be such a whiny weak person here among so many strong brave women.

PS

• tmh0921
    Options

purple flower

You are not weak. What you are experiencing is completely normal, and it will get easier. I've yet to meet anyone on this journey who isn't afraid. Allow yourself your feelings, this is no easy road.

I had a lumpectomy with my first diagnosis in 1999. I thought it was right for me at the time. So many times over the last 20 years I have wished I had chosen Mastectomy. I've had abnormal mammogram after abnormal mammogram and biopsy after biopsy over the years. It has been a real drain on my mental well being.

Give yourself time to accept and come to terms with your emotions and your decisions. You're stronger than you're giving yourself credit for.

Hugs

Tracy

• tmh0921
    Options

Good luck tomorrow notdefined & ucfknights!

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

good luck tomorrow Notdefined and Ucfknights

• notdefined
    Options

Thanks Tmh and Margun! Margun are you having surgery tomorrow? I thought you said we were on the same day, and don't remember if anything has changed since then.

• HopeWins
    HopeWins Member Posts: 81
    Options

Purple-flower - not sure any of us are brave and I'm pretty sure we're all scared. We're just trying to move forward, just like you. If you're not ready for a mastectomy, maybe you should go ahead with a lumpectomy for now. I didn't have any nodes taken, but I thought that was a super easy/quick surgery. I'd take it over another stereotactic biopsy any day! And it felt good knowing the mass (or most of it) was out and then I also knew for sure what it was.

Sounds like you need some time to think through some things so that your head and heart are more aligned. I struggled with that for a few weeks. For me, I read everything I could find. I think all I really did was find science/data to validate what my heart was telling me, but it was an important process for me.

Have you talked to an MO yet? That might help. I found that Dr to be the most supportive and consultative on the different approaches that can be taken, not judging or pushing towards either of the two logical options in front of me.