Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2019 surgery support group

Options

Comments

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 518
    Options

Adding Askmissa

August 1 - LMS458412 - bilateral mastectomy w/o reconstruction

August 2 - sagelady - L mastectomy with sentinel node bx

August 5 - tmh0921 - bilateral mastectomy, latissimus dorsi flap reconstruction on my left breast, and tissue expander placement bilaterally

August 5 - Peggy814 - Bilateral Mastectomy

August 5 - Kkmay - Mom is having left breast biopsy

August 6 - okjoan - lumpectomy and axillary node biopsy

August 8 - laurencl - Right mastectomy with tissue expander placement

August 8 - dawns1962 - nipple sparring (hopefully) mastectomy of my right breast and expanders, left breast lifted

August 13 - arizonaboundgal - bilateral mastectomy with no reconstruction

August 19 - ucfknights' mom - bilateral mastectomy

August 19 - Askmissa -Bilateral Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy with Prepectoral Implants

August 19- notdefined - unilateral mastectomy with diep reconstruction

August ? - Nadia_D - right breast mastectomy with tissue expander placement

August ? - Margun - bilateral Goldilocks

• tmh0921
    Options

Welcome to our growing group Askmissa

• notdefined
    notdefined Member Posts: 267
    Options

LMS458412-wishing you a smooth operation. I will be thinking of you tomorrow.

• ACchaos
    ACchaos Member Posts: 42
    Options

Diagnosed Stage 1, left breast on 6/27. Confirmed BRCA 1 mutation on 7/19, blowing any shot of going the lumpectomy route.

I am scheduled for bilateral and left sentinel nodes and tissue expanders on August 23rd. Reconstruction to follow chemo. I really wanted to have the flap reconstruction at the same time, but I'm triple negative and they want me in chemo sooner. (Despite giving me a surgical date nearly a month out.)

This is the least in control of my life I have ever been.

• tmh0921
    Options

Adding ACchaos

August 1 - LMS458412 - bilateral mastectomy w/o reconstruction

August 2 - sagelady - L mastectomy with sentinel node bx

August 5 - tmh0921 - bilateral mastectomy, latissimus dorsi flap reconstruction on my left breast, and tissue expander placement bilaterally

August 5 - Peggy814 - Bilateral Mastectomy

August 5 - Kkmay - Mom is having left breast biopsy

August 6 - okjoan - lumpectomy and axillary node biopsy

August 8 - laurencl - Right mastectomy with tissue expander placement

August 8 - dawns1962 - nipple sparring (hopefully) mastectomy of my right breast and expanders, left breast lifted

August 13 - arizonaboundgal - bilateral mastectomy with no reconstruction

August 19 - ucfknights' mom - bilateral mastectomy

August 19 - Askmissa -Bilateral Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy with Prepectoral Implants

August 19- notdefined - unilateral mastectomy with diep reconstruction

August 23 - ACchaos - Bilateral Mastectomy, Left Sentinel Node Biopsy, tissue expanders

August ? - Nadia_D - right breast mastectomy with tissue expander placement

August ? - Margun - bilateral Goldilocks

• tmh0921
    Options

Welcome ACchaos

There are a couple of us that will be having chemo after surgery. The waiting is very frustrating

• tmh0921
    Options

sagelady

Good luck with surgery tomorrow, we’ll be thinking of you

• notdefined
    Options

sagelady-Will be thinking of you tomorrow. Hope everything goes well!.

• sagelady
    sagelady Member Posts: 8
    Options

Thank you !! Will up date when I can

• LMS458412
    LMS458412 Member Posts: 288
    Options

Thinking of you today, sagelady.

My surgery is done. I stayed overnight at the hospital because I had some dizziness coming out of anesthesia. I feel pretty decent today. Some soreness, but Tylenol is helping a lot.

My surgeon was confident she did a good job. There was only 1 lymph node that looked bad (it was already biopsied, so no surprise there). She was planning to take out 10 to see if there are any random cells in some others. Praying not. She said she feels my scars will look nice and smooth. I'll get path report next week and be referred to an oncologist.

It was actually an easier surgery than I expected. I hope you all have the same good experience.

• Kkmay
    Kkmay Member Posts: 89
    Options

LMS -So glad you’re done with surgery. Hope the soreness goes away soon. You’re in my prayers

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

Sagelady- thinking of you today.

LMS- Glad the surgery went well and I hope the pain goes away soon. Did doc took out 11 nodes or took out one and took some patches from other 10? Do you have drains and are they bother to much your hand movements? I am not sure I will have or not drains but in case I have it is good to know I advenue if they bother to do simple day to day things: have a shower, sit and hold a spoon, go up and down stairs...

Wishing fast recovery who put the surgery behind And successful surgery and fast recovery to all who still waiting for it

• tmh0921
    Options

LMS - So glad to hear that your surgery went well and you are feeling well. I hope your recovery continues to go well, and there are no surprises on your pathology report.

• DawnS1962
    DawnS1962 Member Posts: 198
    Options

LMS. Wonderful news! I hope you have a speedy recovery

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

LMS

Thank you so much for letting us know! So glad you are feeling okay! You give us all hope!.

ACChaos

Yes, control is something we loose in this process! One of the hardest parts

• ucfknights
    ucfknights Member Posts: 91
    Options

my mom has her first MRI post chemo scheduled Monday then follow up for results Thursday. I’m so sad and stressed. Surgery the 19th w/o recon.

• notdefined
    Options

LMS458412-Good to hear from you! Hope you have a fast recovery!

• sagelady
    sagelady Member Posts: 8
    Options

Wonderful LMS... sooo glad your breezing through recovery. 🙏 for negative mode pathology for you! Keep us posted .

My surgery also went well. I’m in a room now, spending the night also.

L mastectomy, took 1 node, sentinel. Injected due Preop to assist with sentinel node location. Wide excisional biopsy R breast ( benign, but Atypica microcalc. Skin, nipple sparing direct to implants.

Glad it’s ocer, pain not to bad. More muscular , like I dead lifted a couple hundred pounds a couple hundred times 😱. But very manageable !!!

🙏 for August pals.... you got this!!!!

Sage

• tmh0921
    Options

Sage

Glad to hear it went well, and pain management is working. Between your experience and LMS it gives me hope this won’t be too terrible.

Ucfknights - hang in there, the testing and waiting are the worse. (((Hugs)))

Tracy

• arizonaboundgal
    arizonaboundgal Member Posts: 38
    Options

LMS and Sage! Wow, ladies. WTG. Thanks for the updates. Keep on healing. <3

UCF. Thinking of you and your mom. Hang in there.

• margun
    Options

hi Dawn- are you started herceptin or it will go after the surgery. Mine was planned at the end of the week of surgery, then due to concern I will not be recovered enough within 5 days ( perhaps I could?) they increased it to leave 12 days between the surgery and herceptin. I hope it is not too much of delay for the herceptin

Anyone who had nose bleeds with taxol-I had always runny nose with taxol and for last infusion there was some blood mixed also from time to time. Yesterday morning and evening, after 6 days post taxol, I had more intense bleeding than before. It stopped by applying pressure and cold in a few minute but the fact it was more intense than before worried me. It is normal and when it will go away?

• Kkmay
    Kkmay Member Posts: 89
    Options

Sagelady- Great news! I wish you a speedy recovery!

Margun- Mom had nosebleeds during taxol. MO said because of low platelets count (around 90). I ordered her papaya extract pills from amazon, her platelets rose significantly within two weeks and the nose bleeds stopped. She also added avocado, papaya, pomegranate, beetroot and leafy greens to her diet. Mostly through juices.

• LMS458412
    Options

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the good wishes! I'm feeling a bit more sore today and starting to get some zingers, but it's still tolerable with Tylenol. I have a little patch of numbness under one arm that's annoying. I'm numb where my incisions are as well. I hope the zingers means healing is happening and maybe someday some of the numbness will go away. As annoying as it is, I would rather have a few numb patches than be dead. Trying to look on the bright side!!!

Sagelady, I am glad you are in recovery and doing well. I agree that it feels like a muscular soreness. Like I've been punched in the chest 100 times. I feel almost nothing when I'm still. Movement is where I feel the soreness. But, it's best to keep moving anyways. I'm walking around the house a lot and moving my arms around as high as they said I could, so I don't lock up.

Margun - I don't know how many nodes my surgeon actually took out. She came to see me before the surgery and said that she anticipated taking out 10 nodes total. We already knew one node was positive from my biopsy. My other nodes looked normal on imaging, but she wanted to gather all the ones close to the positive node and the tumor. I'll get all the details when the pathology report is done.

I have three drains. Two on my right (because she took out nodes there) and one on my left. I got a belt with pouches from Etsy to hold my drains and it's been wonderful. The drains are not in my way at all. I can go up and down stairs, eat, and all that. However, I'm not allowed to raise my arms over my head yet, so there is quite a bit of limitation on what I can do. No cleaning house, no reaching high stuff, no cooking, no heavy lifting, etc. I'm allowed to sit in the bath and clean my lower half as well as have hubby help me wash my hair (we have a handheld shower head), but I haven't done that yet. Probably later today or tomorrow. I am all wrapped up around my chest and I'm supposed to keep that dry as much as I can. Drains have to be emptied at least twice a day. I'm already getting less stuff coming out and the color has changed from dark red to pink. I though the drains would be super weird, but I really don't feel them at all.

• margun
    Options

Hi Kkmsy-i am 1i days post Taxol aNd my platelets are ok. For now it is stopped and I hope it stays that way Monday I will advise my nurse

• tmh0921
    Options

LMS

When I had my lumpectomy and axillary node dissection in 1999, I had those zingers. Once the pain was gone I was completely numb in my arm pit, as well as the skin on the back of my upper arm and shoulder. I was getting those zingers and my surgeon said that some of the nerves were regenerating. I still have some light numbness, but a lot of sensation did come back.

Tracy

• LMS458412
    Options

Good to know, Tracy. Thanks!

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

Sagelady and LMS

Thank you so much for sharing and I hope recovery continues smoothly

• arizonaboundgal
    arizonaboundgal Member Posts: 38
    Options

Wishing all you August 5th surgery peeps an easy surgery and quick recovery. You've got this!

• tmh0921
    Options

Thanks Arizona.

I'm all packed and ready to go, just ready to get it over and done. I'll post an update as soon as I can.

Peggy814 - Thinking of you tomorrow

Kkmay - thinking of you and your mom tomorrow

Sage and LMS, hope recovery is going well.

We've got this!

• notdefined
    Options

Peggy814, kkmay's mom and tmh0921- Sending positive vibes for you all tomorrow! Hope it all goes smooth.