Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2019 surgery support group

Options

Comments

• LMS458412
    LMS458412 Member Posts: 288
    Options

I'm glad to hear you're doing alright, okjoan. I hope you heal quickly!

Good luck tomorrow, DawnS1962 and laurencl.

I saw my surgeon today. I got my first look at my chest and it looks really good. It's healing well. The surgeon said she got clean margins and pathology showed only 1 positive lymph node (which we already knew about). So, it's pretty darn good news overall. Drains will come out Monday.

• DawnS1962
    DawnS1962 Member Posts: 198
    Options

LMS458412, that's wonderful news! Congratulations 🤗

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

LmS. -I am so happy you had good news. The surgeon removed already the affected node ? Do you know how long it takes to do regular housework and to drive? Wishing you speedy recovery

• LMS458412
    LMS458412 Member Posts: 288
    Options

The affected node was removed during surgery.

I'm still on limited movement. She wants to me work on lifting and stretching my arms a little bit higher each day. Still no driving, heavy lifting or major housework. She'll let me know on Monday when my restrictions come off. Monday will be day 11, so I'm guessing maybe a week after that, as long as my healing keeps going well.

• margun
    Options

Dawn- I do not know about nose hair but I have very little growth on my head . However you have (Looking at the pictures ) wonderful growth: mine is white like yours but I got a nice tip how to colour our hair without waiting 6 months. I hear we can do it by using natural colours such as Henay. Apparently, it does not come just in orange but you can find brown and other colours as well.

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

Margun

Even with mastectomy there may be radiation I was told

• AK_btrfly
    AK_btrfly Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hi all,

My name is Jacyn I’m from Alaska and diagnosed with 13cm+ High grade DCIS is my left breast and PASH is my right breast. I’m scheduled for a double mastectomy August 20th in Portland (treatment isn’t available in my home town) with immediate Free TRAM reconstruction of both breasts.

I was thankful to see this group and look forward to having a group of ladies to go through this with.

• ik0106
    ik0106 Member Posts: 16
    Options

Hi everyone. I was in the July 2019 surgery group as i had a BMX, sentinel node removal and expander placement. At my follow up visit my surgeon informed me that the pathology did not show the clip that was placed during the biopsy which showed I had cancer. I had to go for an xray and mammo/sonogram and they showed the clip was still in me (so the cancerous tumor is still there too) How do you do a mastectomy and leave that behind? (I was told the position of it is all the way on the outer side of my breast) I have to go tomorrow to remove that area now so its essentially a lumpectomy after having a mastectomy. In addition to the stress of another surgery I will have to go through the waiting and worrying about another pathology report. At least my nodes were clear as per the last report so one less worry

• ACchaos
    ACchaos Member Posts: 42
    Options

So I'm scheduled on the 23rd and it's an outpatient procedure. I can't figure out whether that makes me more nervous or not. The idea of going home after a BMX is...daunting. It's reassuring that I see others doing outpatient w/o an overnight stay. *hugs to all.

• margun
    Options

Accaos- i do not know if you had chemo or not. My surgeon old me if did not have chemo before surgery, I would be outpatient too.

• ACchaos
    ACchaos Member Posts: 42
    Options

Oh, good to know Margun! No, I haven't had chemo yet. After the BMX, I'll do some chemo - I was told being triple negative, that it's recommended. After reading about it and talking to a bunch of people, I'm going to do the chemo for peace of mind. But it will be after surgery.

• prehistoricmom
    prehistoricmom Member Posts: 57
    Options

Congrats LMS! Good news. 😅

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 518
    Options

Update

I had a Bilateral MX, left side latissimus dorsi flap, and Bilateral tissue expander placement. Pain was minimal the first day, but kicked in pretty good yesterday. The doctors and nurses are fabulous and got everything under control quickly. Today I just have a lot of soreness when I move and I can't get comfortable to sleep. I'm still in the hospital, but will be discharged tomorrow.

My pathology report cam in today:

- lymph nodes are benign

- tumor had grown and was 3.3cm in size at removal.

- tumor is still Er+/Pr+ Her2 negative

- grade of tomorrow went from 2 to 3.

So in the end, the decision my oncologist and I agreed on was the right path

• tmh0921
    Options

Goid luck tomorrow laurencl and dawns1962

Thinking of both of you and hoping for a speedy recov

• tmh0921
    Options

ACchaos

My procedure was written as outpatient with a 23 hour observation, which meant I spent the night. I’m getting discharged tomorrow so that put me at 3 days in the hospital.

A lot of this has to do with insurance. They typically originally ably approve overnight stays, but your doctor can order more

Tracy

• notdefined
    notdefined Member Posts: 267
    Options

Dawn-will be thinking of you, and sending positive vibes! One step closer!

• notdefined
    Options

Launcl-good luck to you tomorrow! You got this!

LMS-yay for the good news!

• arizonaboundgal
    arizonaboundgal Member Posts: 38
    Options

Thinking of you today, laurencl and dawns! Here's to a fast recovery.

okjoan...glad it's done and that you managed just fine.

Happy to hear that about the pathology reports, LMS and TMH! Hope that you got home today, TMH.

Thanks so much to everyone who has shared their experience here. It's definitely made things a tiny bit easier knowing that you all got through this okay. Rest up, all.

• tmh0921
    Options

Updating our list, welcome ladies

August 1 - LMS458412 - bilateral mastectomy w/o reconstruction

August 2 - sagelady - L mastectomy with sentinel node bx

August 5 - tmh0921 - bilateral mastectomy, latissimus dorsi flap reconstruction on my left breast, and tissue expander placement bilaterally

August 5 - Peggy814 - Bilateral Mastectomy

August 6 - okjoan - lumpectomy and axillary node biopsy

August 8 - laurencl - Right mastectomy with tissue expander placement

August 8 - dawns1962 - nipple sparring (hopefully) mastectomy of my right breast and expanders, left breast lifted

August 13 - arizonaboundgal - bilateral mastectomy with no reconstruction

August 18 - prehistoricmom - left lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy

August 19 - ucfknights' mom - bilateral mastectomy

August 19- notdefined - unilateral mastectomy with diep reconstruction

August 20 - AK_btrfly - Bilateral mastectomy and free tram flap

August ? - Nadia_D - right breast mastectomy with tissue expander placement

August ? - Margun - bilateral Goldilocks

• tmh0921
    Options

I was discharged from the hospital tonight, and am thrilled to be home in my own bed! The hospital did a great job getting my pain management under control. I’m really sore, but no pain pain. My mobility in my upper body is increasing every day. I have three drains, hopefully they come out soon.

Next up for me is healing, then I start chemo early next month.

• prehistoricmom
    Options

TMH that is excellent news & I'm glad the pain is under control!!

LMS would it possibly be a good idea to start arm exercises before surgery?

I'm one week away now & starting to feel sort of vague with sudden stabs of panic.

• DawnS1962
    DawnS1962 Member Posts: 198
    Options

Good morning! Surgery was yesterday and I'm feeling better. BS was able to save my nipple. He removed 3 nodes. I was in pain yesterday but today feeling more soreness than pain. I'm looking forward to going home later today.

I had 3 nodes that lit up removed. One showed cancer so BS removed all axillary nodes.

• prehistoricmom
    Options

Good news, Dawn, & glad you're feeling better! Yay for the nipple! I hope to keep mine, too. 💖 Hope the transition home goes easily.

• margun
    Options

Dawn- wishing you a speedy recovery

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

Surgery was yesterday and went okay. Seems like Dawn and I are sisters again. Node biopsied in January showed cells so all auxiliary nodes were removed. I have two drains. Not so much pain as soreness. Looking at the bandage this morning with the Dr. Was a bit rough emotionally I have to say. I think radiation is a definite. I was discharged today and happy to be home.

Someone put on the packing list throat lozenges. I wish I had them! During surgery, they stick a tube down your throat and last night and this morning my throat was killing me! Throw some in your bag ladies

• prehistoricmom
    Options

Thanks laurencl, I am putting cough drops in my bag right now. SO glad you got through ok. xo

• arizonaboundgal
    Options

Dawn and Laurencl, thanks for checking in. Dawn...happy that they were able to nipple spare! I know this is what you were hoping for.

Laurencl...glad to hear that you're home. I imagine that looking at the bandage this morning was rough. I'm guessing it will get easier over time. Hang in there and thanks for mentioning the throat lozenges.

Big hugs to all fellow August surgical warriors. It ain't easy, but we will ALL get through this.

• prehistoricmom
    Options

arizonaboundgal I love your signature quotation 🥪❤️

• arizonaboundgal
    Options

LOL....WZ was a very smart man! I actually love yours as well.

• notdefined
    Options

Dawn and Laurencl-Glad everything went okay. I hope you heal quickly!

tmh0921-congrats on making it home.

It sounds like you are all being released from the hospital fairly quickly. I was told I would be staying a minimum of 4 days in the hospital. I am curious why that is the case? I am only having one side removed with diep reconstruction.

I am starting to get nervous.