Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2019 surgery support group

Options

Comments

• ACchaos
    ACchaos Member Posts: 42
    Options

@notdefined - I was told that my DIEP lap procedure would involve staying three to four, too. They keep a close eye on the abdomen and the reconstruction. Apparently the first forty-eight hours are important to make sure the reconstruction is successful. Frequent checks by nurses, like every couple of hours.

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 518
    Options

Dawn and Laurencl

Glad to hear your surgeries went well. I had 14 nodes removed during my original diagnosis and I will tell you....start doing range of motion exercises in that arm as soon as you can. It hurts, but the sooner you start, the quicker the pain goes away. I babied that arm because of pain until mysurgeon told me to knock it off and get it moving Smile

It appears all of our surgeries and recoveries are going well so far. We've got this ladies!

• notdefined
    notdefined Member Posts: 267
    Options

Thanks ACchaos. I was curious why there was a difference, but that makes sense.

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

notdefined

Maybe it’s geographical. I live right outside Philadelphia. I was pretty much told that this was going to be over night (which frankly sounds crazy) and they stuck to it. The funny thing is, I was told reconstruction would be three or four days in the hospital . I was kind of happy to come home today, because I had trouble sleeping. The drains are freaking me out a bit, and I was not given a great deal of instruction. I found a you tube video more helpful.I do have a visiting nurse coming in the morning, so I’m getting my questions ready. Maybe laws in California are more progressive and kinder. Four days will give you more time to heal (and not be home doing stuff).

• DawnS1962
    DawnS1962 Member Posts: 198
    Options

I keep falling asleep. I don't think I've been up 3 straight hours today. I'm home also. BS said 75% of his patients go home the next day.

Laurencl, I can't believe all the parallels we've had

• tmh0921
    Options

When I was considering DIEP the PS said it would be a minimum 4 night hospital stay. They monitor the flap closely for blood flow, etc. My insurance would originally only approve 1 night for my BMX with reconstruction, but approved additional nights as needed (I stayed 3 nights).

One of my coworkers had a preventative BMX with delayed reconstruction, and they sent her home the same day. That seems insane to me, I liked having nurses help me get my bearings and get my pain management under control.

On a side note, as expected, the Percocet has caused constipation. I've started taking colace and miralax. I hope it resolves soon. If there's no improvement, I'll add senocot and prunes. I've also now given myself my first lovenox injection. I never would have thought I could stick myself with a needle!

• notdefined
    Options

Laurencl-the drains are my biggest worry right now. I was supposed to have an appt with the nurse to go over how to deal with them, but it had to be rescheduled..

Tmh0921-I had to do Lovenox when I became pregnant with my twins. It was daily for 3 months or so. My husband had to stick me with them, as I couldn't imagine sticking myself either. Sounds like you were able to do them okay. I hated the bruises they caused.

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

Dawn, Tmh, Laurenc and all ladies that had surge- I hope you are feeling better.

Dawn- the node with some cells was discovered during the surgery or was known about beforehand?

Tmh- you said that pathology report shows that biopsied nodes were benign. I thought some things are verified during surgery because after the surgery if oath sais some nodes have cells, the person will undergo another surgery

• DawnS1962
    DawnS1962 Member Posts: 198
    Options

3 nodes lit up from the radioactive dye. One tested positive and it's the same one they biopsied in January.

BS removed axillary nodes and sent for pathology

• tmh0921
    Options

Margun

I had already had a core biopsy of both the tumor and one of the nodes ahead of surgery. The core biopsy results were that the tumor was malignant, but the node was benign. The sample size they got on the node at core biopsy was very small so my MO and surgeon decided to remove and verify they were benign.

The hospitals in my area do not do pathology on nodes while in surgery. In my case, it’s doubtful I would have another surgery either way as they had already removed 14 nodes in 1999. They were surprised they actually got the 2 they did

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 492
    Options

Hi to all ladies with August surgeries! Just want to say good luck and speedy recovery to those ladies from the Weekly Taxol thread. Of course that goes for all of you

• laurencl
    Options

I had a visiting nurse today who confirmed I was doing everything fine with the drains. There is less output today. The compression bra is on my nerves! But other then that, it’s ok

• LMS458412
    LMS458412 Member Posts: 288
    Options

I am so ready to get my drains out Monday. They are getting annoying. All drains are putting out 15 ml or less per day.

I'm still feeling more tired than usual. Probably because I'm still sleeping propped up on my back, which is not totally comfortable for me. My range of motion is still limited, but I'm seeing small improvement daily.

I meet with my oncologist in a week and a half. I hope to be ready to start chemo the first week of September.

I hope everyone else is healing well or getting prepared. We are strong. We will get through this.

• tmh0921
    Options

LMS

It sounds like we’ll be starting chemo at about the same time. I have an appt with the MO to set a date on 8/19

• notdefined
    Options

kkmay-how is your mom doing? How often are they checking her blood counts? Hope she is doing okay.

• tmh0921
    Options

For those of us who’ve had surgery, have your doctors given you an idea when you can return to normal sleep positions? I’m a side sleeper, but have been sleeping on my back propped up on a wedge pillow. It’s not comfortable, and I so want to go back to side sleeping.

And the drains....oh what can we say about the drains. I have a follow up appt with the PS tomorrow, but based on drain output I’m pretty sure I’m stuck with them for a while longer.

Thinking of all of the ladies who are in recovery, hope it’s going well.

Arizona, Thinking of you as you have your surgery this week.

• laurencl
    Options

TMH

Are you in a surgical bra? I am in this tight surgical bra which I am finding annoying and uncomfortable. I have to make an appointment with my PS and I don’t see my BS for another week. I don’t know that I can deal with this tight bra 24/7 for a week. I don’t particularly like sleeping on my back either. My drain output has slowed. I am not a very good homebody...

• tmh0921
    Options

laurencl

My surgeon didn't put me in a surgical bra, he had me wrapped in a bandage. I decided to wear a sports bra that zips in the front. I like it for holding the gauze pads in place better than bandages or tape, but it's not comfortable either.

I agree with you, I'm not a very good homebody. I went with my hubby and boys for dinner and a quick grocery run this afternoon and it felt great to just get out of the house

• LMS458412
    Options

I'm going to ask tomorrow when I can stop sleeping propped up. Hopefully right away when my drains come out. I can live with sleeping on my back awhile longer, but being propped up and not able to shift at all is annoying. I'm getting crankier by the day!

• arizonaboundgal
    arizonaboundgal Member Posts: 38
    Options

Aw. You guys. Everyone sounds so uncomfortable. The drains sound like a huge pita. Hope they come out soon. And a tight surgical bra? Oh, that's something to possibly look forward to. ;) Hang in there, everyone! Things will be back to (normal-ish) soon.

Thanks for the shout out, TMH. Yeah, looks like I'm up next. Gulp. I think I'm ready. Have bought everything I think I'll need. Going to take sometime tomorrow and make a couple different soups to freeze. I'm also making my hubby take me out for fried clams. One last delicious meal pre surge? Why, yes, thank you!

Continue the healing, ladies! You're all doing great.

• laurencl
    Options

arizonabound

Yes! Fried clams are a must! You will be fine! Forgive me, I tend to rant when I’m pissed off. For some reason, through out this process, weekends have always been harder for me and everything seems to be wrong (I went through chemo first). Yes, this bra is annoying, but I’m adjusting. My drains are producing much less and I am getting some sleep. I don’t do well at home all day, which is probably not helping. Planning a quick escape at some point before drain removal. Too much time to think and question every decision so far. Surgery will be fine.

Enjoy every sandwich

• prehistoricmom
    prehistoricmom Member Posts: 57
    Options

arizonabound, i'm going to be thinkin of you tomorrow! Enjoy those clams, woman.

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

Arizonabound- wishing you successful surgery tomorrow and fast recovery.

ladies-Please explain what they do with sentinel nodes during the surgery. My understanding is They remove a sample to check if it is affected and if it is clear they leave it or if it is affected they remove it? Thanks

• tmh0921
    Options

Its my understanding that they check the sentinel nodes during surgery to determine whether or not to remove more lymph nodes in the axillary area (under arm). If the sentinel node(s) are negative, there’s no reason to remove more nodes. They fewer nodes they have to remove the lower your risk of complications like lymphedema

• tmh0921
    Options

I had my first post op follow up with my plastic surgeon today. He pulled 1 of my 3 surgical drains, hopefully the other 2 will get pulled at my appointment on Friday. I’ve also been cleared to sleep “however is comfortable” for me. He just said use pillows where needed for support. So yay, I’m going to try sleeping on my side tonight!

Arizonabound, thinking of you tomorrow. This whole experience really has been better than I thought it would be, hopefully yours will go well too

• LMS458412
    Options

All 3 of my drains came out today. I'm sore and bruised where they were, but glad to be free of them!

I'm cleared to drive and I can shower tomorrow.

Just waiting to be scheduled for port placement in the next week or so. I also have some cording on the right side and need to see a PT for that. It's not horrible (yet), so I want to take care of it ASAP.

Good luck tomorrow arizonabound!! You got this.

• arizonaboundgal
    arizonaboundgal Member Posts: 38
    Options

Laurencl...that wasn't even close to a rant. Don't you even think about apologizing!! Yes, try to get out when you can. It's so good for your head.

Margun...thank you! And good question about the SN. I wish they could do a needle biopsy and leave the thing alone if negative. But I think they always come out. Hopefully, we will only have one or two. Someone told me we could have as many as 5? Will see, I guess!

TMH...it's Tracy, right? That's great that they pulled one at least drain. That's a sign of healing! I hope that you can lose the other soon asap. And great news on being able to sleep on your side. Hope you find it comfortable.

LMS...Hooray for no drains! You must be psyched. Also love that you can drive and shower again. Uggg on the cording. I'm glad that you're in touch with PT.

Thanks again, ladies. I'm off to go throw the baseball around with my hubby. It's very therapeutic and I know it's going to be a while until I can get back to it. Will check in sometime tomorrow or Wed.

• notdefined
    Options

arizonaboundgal-prayers for a smooth surgery and fast recovery! I will be thinking of you tomorrow.

• laurencl
    Options

arizonabound

Good luck tomorrow! sending good vibes and love

• sagelady
    sagelady Member Posts: 8
    Options

good luck tomorrow... you’ll be on the recovery side before you know it