Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2019

Comments

• angieb92
    angieb92 Member Posts: 291

LMS - I’m so glad people are stepping in with support. I am overwhelmed with the offers of help and prayers and good thoughts. It’s definitely a boost to your attitude when you go in for treatment.

I’m not cold-capping but your practice of wetting your hair sounds interesting! I hope you have really good results with it!

TMH- as soon as my wig is ready I’m cutting my hair boy-short and letting it fall as it may. I have really long hair so so don’t want to mess it picking up hair all the time. It was bad enough pre-cancer

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570

TMH you will look absolutely gorgeous, got blood work done today everything looks good for the next AC dose next week, very hot here and this trip to the Dr wore me out. My oncology group had hats to take home, I forgot to get one, I was kinda wanting out of there today, some days it's just breaks my heart, hope everyone has a fantastic evening.

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 519

Thanks everyone

I came home from work and cut my long hair to.an inch in length. Afterwards, I took a shower and it just kept coming out, so my hubby buzzed it for me.

I've always had long hair, so this is a blow. I think the biggest thing is that I now LOOK like a cancer patient.

Blood work today was good, next round of TC is next Wednesday.

Hugs to us all, I'm glad we have each other.

Tracy

• Brilee76
    Brilee76 Member Posts: 190

2 hours post TC chemo:

I feel pretty good. I'm tired but I have been up since 3:30 am EST. I ate dinner and my tummy is now upset. It took 4 tries to get my IV in so my right arm is pretty sore. We can't use my left one because that's the side my lymph nodes were removed from. My oncologist didn't feel I need a port. I'm full of anti-nausea medications and have 2 different prescriptions in pill form to take as needed. I still need to do my home physical therapy exercises today. We'll see how tomorrow goes!

• tmh0921

Bridget

Sounds like it went pretty well, I’m hoping you have minimal side effects

Tracy

• lms458412
    lms458412 Member Posts: 289

Tough day, Tracy. Hugs to you.

Glad your first TC went okay, Bridget. Get lots of rest!

Today has been uneventful for me, except the hairs "down under" are starting to jump ship!

• Floridaliving18
    Floridaliving18 Member Posts: 52

Hi

Gamb Good luck with the new wig. I am ordering a couple of hats too since they said to keep on outside or pre tied scarf . Also ordering a sleep cap. Since we love our air conditioning here and it’s might be cold at night. If we are lucky it might cool off to 80 next week here. Wink wink. They told me to shave when it falls out in clumps. This has to be so hard but I heard it feels better. I hope you have better days to come. 5 months for me on day 2. Thanks for sharing it does help us all not feel so alone.

Blessings to all a good night!!

• tmh0921

Floridaliving

I live just outside Atlanta GA and we love our air conditioning too. I was surprised this evening that my head is cold. Definitely glad I bought some beanies, I'm wearing one to bed.

• Floridaliving18
    Floridaliving18 Member Posts: 52

TMH thanks for sharing. It helps us all with the process. Prayers for better days. Thankful this cancer is Temporary. I received a gratitude book trying to start writing. My husband asked why I share how I would cook sometime I told him it seemed like the only thing I can talk about since my life seemed out of control for months. The process is hard but day by day I have to keep the faith

Blessing and hugs to all!!

• Brilee76

11 hours post TC chemotherapy:

Can't sleep! The hospital staff said it's most likely the steroid. I told them I had trouble sleeping last night. Looks like tonight is no different. I also seem to be getting some heartburn or reflux but it isn't too bad. The night sweats from my hormone therapy are adding to the mix. Sooo tired....

On a positive note, I'm gonna try to head to the American Cancer Society in my area today to see about getting a "cranial prosthesis" and I qualified for a fuel card to get back and forth from treatments! Yay! My cancer center also has a group of ladies who knit caps for cancer patients. The room that keeps them was closed when I got done with my treatment yesterday but I peeked in the window and saw some new colors from the last time I checked so I'm gonna stop by there and see if I can't catch that baby pink one!

Speaking of the American Cancer Society, My hometown high school has a "pink out" game every year. This year it's on September 27th (their October schedule had all away games) and they donate a check to the American Cancer Society at half time. I was selected to hand over the check! My mom was selected to do it last year. She rang the cancer free bell December 2018. This year is also my 25th reunion. 2019 sure has been busy for me.

I hope you ladies are sleeping peacefully and have a wonderful day!

• FTM
    FTM Member Posts: 24

Hi Brilee76. I also couldn’t sleep from the steroids. They suggested I take the evening dose before 5pm which seemed to help?

Tracy, really sorry about your hair. I know mine will be going soon too. I think it’s one of the hardest things to deal with(at least for me).

I’m almost 2 weeks out from my first TCH and feeling back to normal. I have huge respect for you guys on the 2 weekly chemo cycles. It must be really tough. I’m going to try enjoy this week before round 2.

Stay strong ladies

• Brilee76

FTM - Thanks for the tip! I've been taking mine before bed. Thankfully, today is the last day I take them until my next treatment. I'ma go take my morning one now so I can take the night one earlier. :)

• Del13
    Del13 Member Posts: 180

Need any advice y’all have, start chemo Tuesday 24th

• Gamb

Hi Maggie, what chemo are you gonna be taking? We have a variety of ladies in different chemos so we should have you covered for advise

• Turkeypoult
    Turkeypoult Member Posts: 27

One thing I did ‘right’ was to shop for every item recommended by any article or directive that made sense. It was quite a list. But with everything unpacked and in its place, I felt in control.

DH and I left town 2 days before chemo. We visited relatives, stayed in a motel, ate at one of our favorite places and enjoyed some favorite foods. We returned home the day before chemo started. Our excursion seemed to make time go more quickly, kept us close and gave us something to look forward to when chemo is behind us.

On the morning of chemo, we were both very calm. When the SEs started, we sort of shared a ‘we expected this’ look and started the battle.

Good luck, Maggie007. You can do this

• tmh0921

I agree with Turkeypoult

I stocked up on various things to help with expected side effects, and have a “chemo” tote full of these things on my dresser. It gave me some control, and also helps to not have to run to the store when not feeling well.

I also found that what expected chemo to be like and reality were two different things. It’s not been a walk in the park, but nowhere near as bad as I expected.

Tracy

• kv99
    kv99 Member Posts: 11

Just finished 2 1/2 hours of chemo teaching. Without you ladies who have started already I would feel like I’m drowning right now. Now, I’m just slightly overwhelmed with a very long shopping and to do list this weekend. Heart

• Del13

Taxotere,Carboatin,Pertzumab,Herceptin

Less than a month from being diagnosed, my head is spinning, plan is chemo first then surgery, followed by radiation, so glad I found this site

• Gamb

Hey all, got my cold therapy socks from NatraCure today, ordered two extra gel packs by mistake, but this will workout good for my hands.

Maggie, hydration is key, drink plenty if water day before chemo day of chemo and for 2 days after chemo. Keep a cup of ice to fill up mouth when having AC +T this helps with mouth sores. Take it easy, my fear of how i thought chemo was gonna be was worse than what happened, exhaustion will happen. My oncologist recommended start taking clartiten day before the chemo twice a day and then for week, will see if this helps the pain this time from the stimulating shot. Hop all have a blessed evening

• Gamb

Maggie, I'm still wondering wtf happened

• tmh0921

welcome Maggie

I’ve added you to our list, we have a few ladies on the same chemo regimen so I’m sure they’ll jump in to share their experience

Tracy

• Del13

What is cold therapy? Please

• Del13

thank you

• tmh0921

KV

Glad your teaching session went well, good lick with your first session on Monday

• Gamb

Maggie, cold therapy is where you put your feet and hands in ice cold water or ice to help prevent neuropathy, usually done when doing a taxene chemo, like Taxotere or Taxol

• Gamb

im sure others know more info about the cold therapy

• Del13

yes ma’am me too

• Del13

How do I post my diagnosis on here, im so not internet savoy

• Del13

Need to charge my phone, going to clean out drawers will log in later!!

We got this ladies!!

• Brilee76

27 hours after 1st TC treatment:

I had an allergic reaction to my steroid. I look like a tomato but no fever. I also have a slight rash at the injection site but no itching. The heartburn is getting worse. I'm pretty tired and didn't make it into work today. I slept for about 4 hours after taking a dose of benadryl. That felt nice.