Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2019

Options

Comments

• Floridaliving18
    Floridaliving18 Member Posts: 52
    Options

Hi

Does everyone see me stats following message? I don’t see it on my end. I have updated it.

Lol to all

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570
    Options

Hey all hope everyone's treatments go well today, gonna try no nausea meds this morning to see if I still need them, day 5 I'm hoping I can do with out them, my joints finally stopped aching yesterday evening. TMH I did take clartiten for the stimulating shot but I don't think it helped much,,but I didnt dare not take it. Have a blessed day all

• Floridaliving18
    Options

A big thank you for starting this. 💗 and best wishes to all.

• angieb92
    angieb92 Member Posts: 291
    Options

Thank you!! Just had my port accessed, blood drawn, and port set up for chemo. Not bad at all. Trying to stay on top of hydration. I’ll keep you posted!!

Hope everyone has a great morning

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 518
    Options

Floridaliving

We can’t see it yet, go into your profile (you can click on your user name on one if your posts) and change your diagnosis, treatment, etc. from private to public, then it’ll show up :)

Tracy

• Brilee76
    Brilee76 Member Posts: 190
    Options

My first round of TC is tomorrow. Im waiting for labwork right now. I'm super nervous but ready to have it behind me. I'm really glad I have you ladies to talk to about whatever happens next!

• tmh0921
    Options

I updated your start date in our list Bridget.

I hope it goes well tomorrow!

• LMS458412
    LMS458412 Member Posts: 288
    Options

Anna - I'm so sorry you had a reaction to Taxotere. I hope they can give you some allergy meds and drip it slower and make it work for you. Hang in there!

Ange743 - Welcome!

Floridaliving - Good luck today with your first treatment. I totally understand being tired of driving downtown for appointments. I was just down there today for a PT appointment. UGH. My surgeon is in Baldwin Park - not too bad - but, thankfully, my oncologist is in Winter Park, so it's just a short drive down Aloma for my treatments and blood tests. I was told to stay out of the sun as well. I do my outside stuff (walking, pulling weeds) in the early morning. I'm just putting off most outdoor activities until I'm done, and stuff like my son's soccer games - if I feel well enough to go - I'm just wearing long pants, long sleeves and carrying an umbrella. I don't care if I look out of place. My goal is to minimize any problems so that I can get chemo done ASAP!

AngieB92 - Thinking of you today. Good luck with your first treatment!

Gamb - I'm not sure the Claritin helped at all with the Neulasta either, but I took it for 7 days. My bone pain is finally gone today (day 13)!!!

• LMS458412
    Options

Day 13 of TC #1

I feel pretty good today. Bone pain is gone. My energy level is good. Everything still tastes muted, but at least it doesn't taste bad. I've had no hair loss yet. I'm looking forward to losing the underarm and leg hairs, but not the rest! Still babying the hair on my head since I'm cold capping. I comb it once a day. I've only washed it once in 2 weeks, although I've wet it down a few times.

I had my first physical therapy appointment today. Finally! It took forever to get the referral. I get to start my exercises and scar massage now that I finally know how to do everything properly! Looking forward to getting my range of motion back and not feel so stiff all the time.

Leah

• Floridaliving18
    Options

Anna hope you feel better too.

LMS thank you for checking on me today I am doing well 4:00 and finish first chemo. Thank you for the sun advice. I guess that means 🌅 sunrises at the 🏖 beach for now. Good luck with the cold cap. Since we are neighbors we might have to meet up one day

Angieb92 first chemo day. Hope everything went good for you We are on the same chemo schedule. Sending best wishes

Gamb I take Allegra I can’t take Claritin it keeps me up for days. I am going to try and let you know how it works. They told me you can take Zyrtec instead That one makes me sleepy. Maybe a different one will help you.

Blessings to you all

• Gamb
    Options

Thank you Florida, I will ask and see if I can take the Zyrtec, that joint pain was rough. Got my coupon for my wig from TLC, wig ordered, it might just be here before I need to shave head. It made me kinda of sad, I guess just knowing that the hair lost is gonna make it more real,,,as if it's not real enough. Florida glad first chemo went well, hope everyone has a blessed evening

• tmh0921
    Options

with regards to Claritin, Zyrtec, etc. make sure you're getting the version that's just the antihistamine and not the version with the decongestant (I.e. Claritin vs Claritin-D). The dose of decongestants they put in the -D versions will keep you from sleeping.

Tracy

• Turkeypoult
    Turkeypoult Member Posts: 27
    Options

AngieB92 & FloridaLiving18

I hope you are doing well on day 2.

I am on TCHP, cycle 1, day 9. Someone asked about flushing and reflux? I took Claritin for days 1-5, and there was a steroid iv before chemo started. I had flushed cheeks and neck on days 1-3. I still had pretty bad heartburn during days 6 and 7, along with unrelieved diarrhea, despite imodium.

On day 8 I went in for labs. Heartburn, diarrhea and my first vomiting, right there in the chemo chair. (Luckily, I was prepared.) Lab levels were “great” except I needed fluids and then magnesium. They added “miracle mouthwash” (which lives up to its name) for thrush, additional meds for magnesium and heartburn. I slept all afternoon, then slept all night for the first time in ages. Today I have felt very good: did a very few outdoor chores this a.m. and used elliptical this p.m.

Today helped DH and I see that better days are possible.

• Turkeypoult
    Options

LMS458412

Cycle 1: day 9. I have had significant bone pain until today. My magnesium levels were low, and I had an iv yesterday. No pain today, even in my knee which is waiting on a full replacement. They added a magnesium prescription to take daily. Wonder of wonders! I don’t know how long it will last, but I’ll take it.

• snaffle53
    snaffle53 Member Posts: 107
    Options

I shaved my head last Tuesday while I was still feeling good before treatment on Wednesday. My scalp has been painful. And sure enough when I showered this afternoon, patches are falling out. I think I look a bit ratty like a worn out rug. I’ll be happy when this process is over and I’m just hairless.

I got prescribed Sucrulfate for the heartburn/reflux issues. Today has maybe been a bit better. So, I’m hoping this stuff will really work. Only now picking up from 2nd AC treatment last Wednesday. My MO said the effects would be cumulative. I’ll be happy when these 4 AC treatments are done. Though, from the weekly Taxol thread I can see that it is not so easy either.

I will sometimes have a low moment when I realize what a long haul this all will be by the time surgery and radiation added to it too. Mostly, my husband and I just taking it one day at a time. I’m no weenie. But I can already tell this cancer fight will be the toughest thing I’ve ever been through.

I am so sorry so many of us are going through this. But, I am grateful for the support from each and every one of you. We can do this

• Turkeypoult
    Options

Snaffle 53,

I have zany friends who try to prop me up. One sent the abovepictures of Capt. Marvel. “She will guard you and keep you safe through the days. She understands because she wears a wig, too."

She looks ready to take on anything, and she's not happy!

I smile every time I look at her.

• snaffle53
    snaffle53 Member Posts: 107
    Options

Ha ha!!

• tmh0921
    Options

OMG Turkeypoult, that’s fabulous Happy

This is how much hair I lost with this morning’s combing... I knew it was going to happen but somehow it’s still a shock.

• LMS458412
    Options

Floridaliving - Sunrises or sunsets at the beach sound awesome! I'd love to meet up someday. See how you feel through this first chemo session and how fast you recover - we'll figure out a point in time when we're both feeling pretty good and get together for coffee/tea/juice. :)

Turkeypoult - I'm so glad you had a good day today, after those nasty side effects. Hope you have many more good days before your next infusion.Thanks for the info about magnesium. I already take a magnesium supplement, but it's a small dose. I'm going to double it from now on and see if that helps the bone pain for next time. LOVE the Capt. Marvel LEGO minifig! :)

Snaffle - This fight is tough, but we can be tougher!! I hope your heartburn/reflux goes away very soon.

Tracy - Oh my! That's quite a bit! It's one thing to hear about it happening, but another to see it. At least you are prepared. Rock that wig and those beanies! Even though I'm cold capping, I'm semi-prepared in case it doesn't work or I get bald patches. I have some hipster-looking beanie caps and a polka dot scarf a la Audrey Hepburn!

• angieb92
    Options

TCHP Treatment 1 is done! Thank you for all of your well wishes!

They started Perjeta first. 1 1/2 hours then a 30 minute watch time before Herceptin. That was about an hour. Taxotere was next. My chemo nurse side-eyed me in icing hands and feet. He had never known of anyone doing it but supported me anyway. Carboplatin was last.

I must admit the steroid/Benadryl/Pepcid mix before we started was bliss!! I felt so relaxed.

I had a dinner with DH and ate proteins and greens. I inadvertently “mimick fasted” the day before chemo so that may help me.

I’m thankful it all went well. My doctor did say they found a “tiny spot” on the back of my skull in the bone scan. The also had two small nodules in the lungs. Of course I panicked but he said he was taking it with a grain of salt. I have lived in Arkansas all of my life and been exposed to pesticides that could cause these nodules. He also said that if we looked at it like it was cancer, it would be handled by the chemo. So, that made me feel better.

Hope you all have a great evening

• aln82
    aln82 Member Posts: 6
    Options

thank you Tmh and gamb. Unfortunately the reaction happened again so now I’m have to switch regimens. I’ll start AC on Monday. I am doc sad and frustrated. It has been really challenging to keep up a brave face for my son and keep everything moving forward then I finally make it to tx and I have all these falls starts. Down today it will pick back up tomorrow and keep moving. Appreciating this group 😊
  • LMS458412
    Options

AngieB92 - I'm surprised the nurse had never seen anyone icing before! But, then again, when I was getting my treatment, I was the only one in the room icing. Everyone was staring at me with all my gear. Hmmm. I'm sorry your scan results sounded scary, but I pray the chemo takes care of all of it for you!!!! Every day, I read about tiny spots that disappear with just a few treatments. :)

Anna - So sorry you had another reaction to Taxotere. I would feel down, too. Thankfully, there's another regimen to try that is still going to kill that cancer and get you back to health. Go easy on yourself right now, pamper yourself, get some rest, and then put your game face on Monday, 'cause you've got this!!!!!!

• Gamb
    Options

Aln I couldnt imagine starting from scratch, but at least there is a back up plan. I have number 2 of AC next Thursday hopefully, half done with a.c. sounds good all done sounds better.

Angie I would be scared and panicking too,,glad your fusion went well. Hope all have a fantastic day

• Gamb
    Options

(((TMH)))

• Brilee76
    Options

LOL @ Captain Marvel Leggo. Happy Love it!

Tmh0921 - I have that much come out every time I brush my hair. (I only brush once per day) I can't even fathom what it'll look like when mine starts to jump ship in a couple of weeks. I plan on shaving mine at the first signs since I already clog drains when I wash it. *hugs* It's a terrible thing to be relieved that someone else is going through something so unpleasant with you but thank you for helping me feel like i'm not alone.

• kv99
    kv99 Member Posts: 11
    Options

Love the Captain Marvel!

Bridget, welcome and good luck

Leah/LMS, glad the bone pain is better. Do you wet down your hair at chemo or arrive with wet hair for the cold cap?

Florida, glad you got through first chemo.

Tracy and everyone - what is the claritin/zyrtec for? I'm sorry about the hair. I know that's going to be a shock. I love beanies too and have bought a couple lighter weight ones in case.

Turkey, I"m glad you had a good day after all that bad stuff and that magnesium is helping.

Snaffle, it is a long haul but I think you're right it's just going to be getting through one day and then the next after that.

Angie, awesome you're done with first TCHP. It's great to hear your order of events. That's my regimen too. My chemo coordinator is totally into icing hands and feet.

ALN, I'm sorry you have to start over with a new regimen but everything is crossed that you will get through it. Better days ahead.

I had an MRI biopsy of the small spot in my left breast yesterday. Nurse said it is rare to have cancer in both breasts, so we'll see. I guess it doesn't matter much bc I think the whole regimen will be the same either way and I was leaning towards bilateral mastectomy anyway when I'm done with the chemo. Chemo teaching is tomorrow and port goes in Friday. Then first day of weekly TCHP on Monday. Just started telling good friends and they've all been great. It's amazing how many people are close to someone who has been through BC.

• Brilee76
    Options

Good luck KV99 and thanks for the welcome!

• angieb92
    Options

KV99 you’re going to do great on TCHP! I’m so glad I got the port (but totally respect my BC sisters’ deciosnns Not to port). I brought snacks drank lots of water the day before, the day of, and today. In fact, I bet I had to roll my IV stand to the bathroom about 5 times during treatment. I was there 5 hours and they said it was normal for the first treatment. Here on out, it won’t take that long.

Just rest easy knowing you will now have medicine in you that is taking care of this cancer

• LMS458412
    Options

KV99 - For cold capping, I wet my hair at home until it's soaking. Then, I put a shower cap on, and I wear a hooded jacket, so I put the hoodie on top of that. Then, when I arrive at the cancer center, I wet my hair down even more when I go to the bathroom, then the nurse does it again right before they put the cap on.

The Claritin and Zyrtec is to try to minimize the bone pain you might feel from the Neulasta (pelfigrastim) injection. I get a Neulasta On Pro attached to my stomach and it injects me the day after my infusion. Some people go back in to get a Neupogen shot instead. Not everyone gets it, but I think most of us do. It stimulates the bone marrow to produce white blood cells.

I hope your biopsy turns out well. Glad you've got good friends to support you and help you. I can't believe how many people have stepped up to offer us assistance as I go through this. Even people that I'm not super close to have been bringing food and praying for me. Our neighbor mowed our lawn for us. Unbelievable!

• tmh0921
    Options

I believe I'll be shaving my head / cutting my hair really short tonight, the shedding is escalating and it's a real pain in the rear to deal with hair falling out everywhere :(