Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2019

Comments

• lms458412
    lms458412 Member Posts: 289

Glad you're back home, Snaffle.

Awesome wig, Brilee!

Good luck on your echo, Gamb.

• lms458412

Like most of you, I'm having trouble eating healthy and exercising consistently while doing chemo. I finally decided to just give myself a pass until I'm about 3 weeks out from my last treatment. I try to eat lots of fruit and veggies, and especially lots of protein. I stay busy doing stuff around the house (we have a two-story, so I'm up and down the stairs a lot). But, some days I just need to nap or veg on the sofa. Sometimes ice cream or a hamburger are the only thing I want to eat, and I just go with it.

In the meantime, I've put together a list of healthy foods I should be eating. I'm gathering recipes. My cycling instructor at the gym checks in on me and knows I will be back as soon as I'm able. I've got a friend who wants me to do yoga with her, and I'm going to give it a try very soon.

Do what you can, when you can, and don't beat yourself up if you miss a day or two of exercise, or if you eat some junk food one day. This is one of the toughest challenges our minds and bodies will go through. Be kind to yourselves.

• lms458412

Day 18 of TC #3

This has been the toughest cycle. I'm still experiencing lots of exhaustion. I've had some mild swelling (feet and trunk) that comes and goes. I've had some muscle twitches, too. The digestive issues, thankfully, have been minimal. Hot flashes have been annoying and often wake me up at night. I still have quite a lot of hair, but I haven't hit day 20-21 yet, which is likely when I'll lose most of my hair (I was unable to cold cap for round 3). If I lose too much, I won't be cold capping the last session.

I've been trying to enjoy this better time before my last treatment. I volunteered at my son's school on Halloween, I went to his soccer game, and I'm taking him roller skating tomorrow night (again, I am not skating, just watching!)

I am looking forward to my last treatment on Thursday, only because it's the last. I'm also not looking forward to it because this past one was so tough. Especially the 2 days I spent in bed feeling like my life force was leaving my body. At least now, I'm mentally prepared to feel that bad. I'm just going to listen to music and audio books and wait for that horrible feeling to pass. Then, after Thanksgiving, the next round of hard work begins - starting a new exercise program and healthy eating plan, for the rest of my life.

• Del13
    Del13 Member Posts: 180

Ange,, yes, I think it will help overall, we can do this,,

• Del13

Lms, it’s really hard to eat, and exercise, when you feel so bad,,,

• angieb92
    angieb92 Member Posts: 291

Maggie - I know how exactly what you mean! I need to exercise more! I walk for about 10-15 minutes a day at work but I could do more! And I will!

Update from this weekend: seems the diarrhea decided to add a little extra this time. Sunday am I got up to go to the bathroom, broke out in a cold sweat, felt really funny and woke up on the bathroom floor! My first thought was that I fell asleep. My second thought was that the floor could use a sweeping. I got back on the throne and - boom - woke up on the floor again with my head resting on the lip of the walk-in shower! Got a few bruises on my face. My doctor said it could be a virus but to check my blood pressure and go tic the nearest emergency room if it happened again. What I think happened is that I ate heavier food between treatment and Saturday which caused more diarrhea which just shredded me. A lesson to watch way lighter during those days! I feel much better today.

I hate to learn lessons the hard way but I did!

• Brilee76
    Brilee76 Member Posts: 190

I gained 10 pounds between my 2nd and 3rd TC treatments. (That's 10 pounds in 3 weeks!) My oncologist says I'm experiencing a double whammy. The steroid is making me extra hungry and is supposed to keep me from retaining fluid from the chemo BUT I had an allergic reaction to it so I'm only taking half of what I need to be taking hence, I am retaining fluid. My blood pressure was 150/110 the first time they checked it and 160/108 the second time so now I'm on a blood pressure medication as well with a diuretic. My blood sugar level was 232 on Friday. All of my doctors have been telling me from the beginning that I need to be walking at least 30 minutes a day but have I done it? NO! Don't be like Bridget.

• angieb92

Awww Bridget - Sorry!!! We all need to start a September Chemo Exercise Class and at least walk some every day

• Del13

Yes we need to, I'm waiting on a delivery, Fluids and port supplies, my dogs will eat it!!! Lol then I'm going for a walk, just need to get moving!! Sorry Brilee, get moving, Ange the passing out could be you are dehydrated, diarrhea will do that!! I'm going to try for a 15 min walk, then 5 min on stationery bike,, what are you all doing as far as diet?

Hugs

• Del13

• Del13

I made it,, thankful I had a diaper on!!! I know TMI, this nasty D has got to stop!! Y’all get out and do it, even if you just walk around the house,

I need good vibes for tomorrow, it’s chemo day, my levels need to be up,

• angieb92

Great job Maggie!! I walked for about 15 minutes just now and feel better!

As for diet, it depends on what I can taste. I had baked chicken and boiled potatoes today for lunch. May do a bun less cheeseburger and chips for dinner. I try to eat some protein at every meal to help with rebuilding myself. The real trick is the week my taste buds come back. I usually treat myself to some Mexican food or pizza. If it's days I can't taste anything, chicken noodle soup or plain tuna with rice is a go to. Maybe salad if it doesn't taste weird.

Sometimes I will treat myself to ice cream. It all depends on what I think I can handle. When chemo is done, I'm really going to start more dieting and eating for surgery.

• Del13

I know this sounds crazy, my taste buds have a overload sensation, everything taste amazing, except cottage cheese and peaches, anything that has real butter in it as well,, lol crazy I know, I'm starving now, but going to settle for chicken noodle soup, and a few saltines, I want a pizza. but that will put intestines in overdrive,, I'm going to ask for colonoscopy ASAP, also I'm drinking tons of water, I don't know just frustrating, but I'm not vomiting so thankful for that

• angieb92

Maggie - I hope your levels allowed you to go in for treatment!

I’m having a hard time finding things to drink when my tastebuds are wacko. I’m about burnt out of Crystal Light stuff. Any suggestions

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570

Angie, I have no clue, I've tried everything to keep water from tasting horrible, no luck, straws help some. Hope everyone is having a good day

• Brilee76

Good luck, Maggie!

I just tough out the yucky water taste but I'm always so thirsty so it works out.

I have some neuropathy in my finger tips today.

• snaffle53
    snaffle53 Member Posts: 107

So I saw an ENT doctor today as follow up to my hospital stay. She said it was a salivary gland that blew up. And the root cause was dehydration! Yes, infection followed. But it started with not drinking enough.

I’m shocked because I have really pushed fluids. Though I guess not enough or perhaps the right stuff.

I’ve switched to mostly Gatorade. And I have been drinking like crazy. Guess I will start to go in to the infusion center for fluids more regularly. I don’t know what else to do. I sure don’t want this to happen again!

• Patty66
    Patty66 Member Posts: 45

Hi Everyone,

Just found this site - started chemo in September (6 rounds of TAC)and hope I can still get in on the chat. I saw one of you mentioning the FMD fasting mimicking diet by Dr. Longo and wondered what exactly does one eat during the 3 day routine? And how did you feel?

Thanks!

Patty

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 519

Hi all,

Just checking in. I can’t sleep, my 4th and final TC is in 6 hours. I’m not looking forward to the next few weeks. I haven’t recovered from the fatigue and water retention from my last treatment. OMG...the fatigue...if I walk any distance or just move wrong my muscles burn and ache like I’ve run a marathon. My legs and ankles are also swollen from the water retention. I’ve put on 15 pounds, I’m thinking most of it is water retention. I expect both of these to continue or get worse after this treatment.

Luckily, my son’s marching band season has ended and I have a few months before his indoor drum line season starts when I need to chaperone again. Hopefully my strength will return by then.

Headed into the final chemo stretch, we can do this (maybe with extra naps)

Hugs

Tracy

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 519

Welcome Patty66

What date did you start chemo? I’ll add you to our list.

Tracy

• Patty66

Hi Tracy,

Thanks for the welcome, glad to be here... first chemo was 10 September 2019.

Thanks!

Patty

• Patty66

PS: crossing my fingers for your final round! Good luck and fast recovery

• FTM
    FTM Member Posts: 24

Tracy.... thinking of you today with your last chemo. Wishing you a speedy recovery from the side effects!

Snaffle....glad you are doing better. Scary to hear what can happen from not enough fluids! I am guilty of not drinking enough water just because it tastes horrible.

Welcome Patty66. I am by no means an expert on the FMD. Santabarbarian on these boards is very knowledgeable about it. As far as I understand the 3 day fast is only broth and water for 3 days with chemo in the middle. I tried the 5 day calorie restriction with chemo day on day 3. On day 1 you are allowed 1100 calories and the rest of the days 800 calories with 10% of your daily calories from protein. I used an app called Cronometer to calculate calories. As someone who loves to eat I actually found it quite manageable but unfortunately it had no effect on my nausea and vomiting.

I am also struggling with the exercise and trying to eat healthy. I am a comfort eater so when I feel bad out comes all the unhealthy food. I’ve said I’m probably the only person who can put on weight during chemo so it’s good to know I’m not the only one struggling. I did go on a walk yesterday so thanks for the motivation

Wishing everyone else a good side effect free day today.

• Del13

Welcome Patty,, good morning Ladies, completed my 3rd chemo yesterday, feel great this morning, thinking the added exercise has helped, we will see, added a extra daily dose of lomotil, y’all have a awesome day

Hugs and positive vibes coming your way!!!

• lms458412

Tracy - Thinking of you today as you have your 4th and final TC! I'll be following right behind you tomorrow. I haven't totally recovered yet either, but I keep reminding myself it's the last one and I WILL get through it. You will, too. Take all the extra naps you can!!! Hugs!

• Brilee76

Welcome, Patty!

You're in my thoughts and prayers today, Tracy! I'm excited for you! My last treatment is scheduled for 11/22. I gained 10 pounds in water weight from retention before my 3rd treatment. I'm on a blood pressure pill with a diuretic now. I'm just doing whatever I have to to get through these treatments. Once I feel like I can tolerate diet and exercise I'm gonna try to get my weight and blood work numbers under control.

LMS! I'm excited for you too! I'm so ready to be where you guys are. Praying that your side effects are minimal as well!

Snaffle, my co-worker and I say "Drink the water" every time we pass each other. lol It's been a battle but I've managed most days to reach the minimum amount of water required each day. I had to stop drinking Gatorade because my blood sugar was through the roof last Friday.

Hang in there ladies! We're starting to see the finish line for chemo!

• angieb92

Snaffle - Wow!! How scary but glad you got an answer!!

Tracy - thinking of you today and sending you prayers! Just keep chanting “final one! final one!”

Welcome Patty!!! These women have been a blessing to me and I know they will be one to you too!

LMS - good luck tomorrow! (Final one! Final one!)

Maggie - glad you are feeling good after treatment! I did read somewhere in here that walking helps with a lot of the fatigue and nausea SEs.

I’m headed out of town tomorrow with my DH and DD. We’re going to Amarillo which is 9 hours away. I must admit that I’m a bit anxious about leaving home but I am on the upswing from the fall and the initial SEs. It will be my only trip before this time next year so I’m thinking of it that way.

Anyone every feel jealous of everyone around you who are living their normal life? I find myself doing that which in turn makes me feel down about my situation. I’m trying to overcome that by telling myself that only 3 more TCHPs then I’m done with chemo (hopefully). Then I have 6 weeks to rejuvenate before surgery. I’m trying to look at it as a delay in feeling normal again. I just wondered if any of you felt that way too.

Hugs to you all! All of you are in my prayers daily. I call you my September Girls

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570

Hey all, Angie I have felt that way, it makes me sad to know my life will never be normal or carefree again. I will now always be looking over my shoulder so to speak. Afraid to hope, afraid to not hope. Forever always doing just one day at a time

• lms458412

Welcome Patty!

Snaffle, glad you found out what the cause was, so you can hopefully avoid anything like that happening again.

Linda, hope you have minimal SE's this time!

Bridget, it's probably best to just get through the chemo however you can, and then focus on the diet and exercise. Once we're all through, we can use this board to encourage each other to exercise and eat well!!!

Glad you checked in, FTM. Hope you're doing well!

Angie, I hope you're feeling better and healing after this weekend's incident!

To answer the big question, yes, I also feel jealous of everyone else living their normal life, without cancer. I'm on Facebook a lot and I see tons of smiling faces, everyone going on vacations and doing fun stuff with their kids and grandkids, while I'm struggling to walk up and down the stairs. I do feel down sometimes. I keep trying to remind myself that most people do not leave this life without having a challenge of their own. All those people living "normal lives" either have already or will eventually deal with their own struggle, whether it be illness, mental issues, death of a loved one, money troubles, etc. I have friends who seem to the world to be living great lives, but are privately struggling with depression, lifelong health issues, marital problems, etc. I keep trying to convince myself that I will survive this, find a happy new normal for my life, and get more time to spend with the ones I love. Maybe once I get over this hurdle, things will be okay for a long time. I have to hope. I hope that for me. And I hope that for all of you here, too.

• Del13

I love this group, thank you all, I just finished the book

How to starve cancer, if you haven’t read it’s money well spent, now I picked out what I need for now, chemo is working, so I’m not going to add anything until I finish, I do believe diet and exercise play a role in healthy living, will post a picture of the book,