Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2019

Comments

• lms458412
    lms458412 Member Posts: 289

Oh Snaffle, that stinks!!! I pray you heal quickly and can go home tomorrow!!!

• ange743
    ange743 Member Posts: 69

Snaffle,

Sorry about what you're going through. Positive healing vibes are being sent your way. Hope you're feeling better soon. 😊

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 519

gamb, glad to hear your last AC is going relatively well.

LMS, as if the effects of chemo aren't bad enough, food poisoning is just adding insult to injury.

snaffle, sorry to hear you had to visit the hospital. I hope you can go home soon

I'm still here. Right on time my ankles have started to swell and my muscles just ache. I took advantage of a bit more energy to chaperone my son's marching band this weekend. My energy level still sucks, and I had intended to spend yesterday recovering but got a call that my youngest niece passed early yesterday morning. So it's been a rough couple of days.

Next Wednesday is my last TC. I fully expect it to take the longest to bounce back from. I'll also start my tissue expander refills in the next few weeks, then probably exchange them for implants early next year.

Hugs all

Tracy

• angieb92
    angieb92 Member Posts: 291

Oh Snaffle, I’m sorry to hear about your infection! Hopefully you will be out soon and back to normal.

LMS - glad to hear you are anticipating your last TC next week! I hope you celebrate that milestone!!

My third TCHP is tomorrow. I’m ready!! I’ll send a picture!

Good night all!! Prayers for peaceful sleep!!

• angieb92

imageGreetings from the chair!! Hope you all are having a day filled with minimal SEs, peace and hope!! ❤️

• Del13
    Del13 Member Posts: 180

You look great Angie!!! Positive vibes,,

• Brilee76
    Brilee76 Member Posts: 190

Get well soon, Snaffle! Glad you're on the mend, LMS. Angie, looking marvelous! I wanted to pop in and say I was thinking of you guys. I've been working as much as I can while I feel up to it. 3rd TC this Friday. Yucky! Stay strong ladies! You're always in my prayers. <3

• angieb92

Thanks!!! Everything went great! My tumor is responding to the chemo so I felt really good about that!

I was in an area this week with two AC girls and this TCHPer has mad respect for you ladies getting the AC-T protocol! They both were sick - one more than the other but they powered through!! I know none of us have it easy but I have been blessed and I pray for you all who are having a harder time. Lots of love your way!!

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570

Angie that's great news, celebration time...lol act is no joke, but none of this chemo is, much respect to all of us who have to do what we have to do, I start dose dense taxol next week, a little scared, but I was scared when I started the a.c. also, I'm looking at close to 5 hours at the onocoly wing, 3 for infusion, one for labs, one to see mo, that will knock out the whole day since I drive an hour each way. Hope all are feeling good

• Del13

Angie, great news!!

Gamb, I too have to drive, Louisville, not to bad my home town,

Brilee, glad to hear you are ok,

I have been a little stressed this time, kinda been pissed off, labs not the best, needed more fluids, nasty D seems relentless, oh well it is what is,,

I need to be more thankful and less bitchy

Hugs, and sending positive vibes

• mandamaybe
    mandamaybe Member Posts: 21

Brilee, Turkey, LMS, TMH, Angie and everyone who encouraged me after my hair debacle, and shared pictures of your cute hats, thank you so much!!! I read all of your messages and felt much better, even if I didn't say it then. I have a big box of hats and bandannas now, and they give me some pleasure, trying to find a cute stylish way to match my outfits. But I have to say I'm still a little sad putting them on, knowing I'm not really fooling anyone. I have wigs too, but haven't really motivated to wear them outside of work - and that's difficult to, when coworkers go out of their way to complement me on my “cute haircut" that isn't a haircut.

Finally broke down and let a friend arrange a meal train to help with dinners on the days my husband has longer work days. First dinner came tonight and it was such a relief to have everyone sit down to a nice dinner at a reasonable hour without the stress over food prep. AC#3 was Tuesday, and the real bonus was that I could still taste all of the food! :) (But I know my “no taste, no hunger" days are imminent...)

Talked with my oncologist Tuesday about adding Carboplatin with my Taxol starting in late-November, which she recommends. But also learned this will mean extending treatment by four weeks, from 4 two week cycles to 12 weekly. I know it's the right thing, but a little bummed over extending treatment into February.

But enough Debbie Downer sharing. In the good news files, I was mostly feeling good for days 10-14 of my last cycle and got to enjoy a wilderness walk with my hubby and 3yo, a trip to the pumpkin patch and pumpkin carving, and some good quality time with my family. Worked on some “fill in the blanks" pages for a visual journal for my 10 yo with an art therapist during my infusion, and still feeling mostly okay since AC#3 on Tuesday (setting aside the fact that I'm typing this at 2:30am because I can't sleep, I guess). Also planning a tentative “date" with my husband and 13yo, since a lovely friend has volunteered to take both girls for a sleepover this weekend.

Happy Halloween to all! I hope everyone is able to enjoy it in their own way this year.

• mandamaybe

ACchaos, sounds like a bummer with the IV and the bruising, and a port looks like the right way to go. I just had to do a redo of my genetics blood draw because what they got on my ER day was not a big enough sample. the woman used a heat pack and managed to get enough from my hand. At AC#3 the next day the nurse was having a lot of trouble finding anything, but used the heat pack trick and managed to find a good vein on my other hand. But I can’t help but worry how this is going to play out in the long run...

I watched a youtube video from a nutritionist about making a tea by infusing fresh ginger and lemon, and am thinking about giving it a try. Or maybe peppermint and ginger. I can’t stand sweets during treatment, but have found strong iced teas helpful during those times my tastebuds are otherwise on the fritz. But I know it’s generally better if I can switch to low/no caffeine alternatives. Hoping ginger is part of the answer!

• mandamaybe

Snaffle, so sorry to hear you’ve been struggling. Sending hugs and healing energy your way!! The hospital is (1) the worst; (2) a necessary evil; and (3) still the worst. Feel better soon!

• snaffle53
    snaffle53 Member Posts: 107

Home from hospital late Wednesday afternoon. Slept like a rock at home. Sleep was a struggle in the hospital. I’m on oral antibiotics for 10 days. Missed my second Taxol treatment. But, Oncologist thought it best to skip a week and resume next Wednesday to make sure infection is gone. I’m totally wasted at home. I guess that’s what four days in bed tethered to IVs will do to you. Unfortunately, more rest is the answer. This too shall pass

• UnicornMom2
    UnicornMom2 Member Posts: 1

Hi,

I also will be starting cytoxan & taxotere, given every 3 weeks for 12 weeks total. I’m pretty nervous. Has anyone tried cold caps? Taxotere can cause permanent hair loss. I’m told it’s rare but rare things keep happening to me so...

• Brilee76

Welcome home, Snaffle!

UnicornMom, I did not do cold capping. Hopefully, both of our hair will come back even more beautiful than before!

mandamaybe - Check out today's crazy wig. 😂

• Gamb

Brilee, I love the wig you are so awesome, you look amazing

• Del13

Looking good Brilee!!

• angieb92

UnicornMom - I’m taking Taxotere as well and did not cold cap. My MO said that he only had one patient whose hair came back thinner than it was but no permanent hair loss.

Brilee - that wig = 😍😍

Snaffle - glad you are out of the hospital!!

• Brilee76

Greetings from the chair. Round 3 of 4 TC! Have a great weekend!

• Gamb

Hey all

I have an echo and first taxol 11/7 this Thursday, Drs are making the most of the day, I'll be there from 7 am until around 3 pm, getting anxious, this last a.c. treatment made my tongue swollen and very raw, it's just now starting to feel better, I used nyastin but what helped the most was salt,,baking soda, and water mix, hope my heart is doing good, the red devil is supposed to be very hard on the heart in a percentage of people. Hope everyone has a great day

• mandamaybe

Gamb - good luck with the echo. I did echo + AC#3 last Tuesday and it didn’t add too much to the day, maybe 45 minutes. I’ve heard taxol is a gentler beast than AC, so hopefully you are onto the better stretch now..

• mandamaybe

Brilee, love the crazy wigs ... keep ‘em coming

• angieb92

Gamb - good luck with the echo!

Brilee - hope all went well with treatment!!

I hope you all are having a good day! Diarrhea has kicked my butt today but finally got some homemade chicken noodle soup and grilled cheese in my pie hole and that’s made me feel better!

Love to you all!!

• Del13

I am needing a partner or partners to hold me accountable, I have got to start exercising, and healthy eating,, the nasty D has been bad this time, thinking it’s my fault because of the fear of eating, because of what happens when I do eat,, I have got to get my body in the best shape for January surgery, my labs have been off, needed more fluids, blood levels low, this time, stayed mostly in bed which is not good, physically or mentally, anybody have any suggestions to get me motivated, we live on a farm so I have plenty of places to walk around, I also need to do arm and shoulder exercises, thank you

I’m a mess!!

• Gamb

Maggie it's hard to eat and exercise when you feel horrible, but I walk everyday 3 or 4 times a day sometimes 2 miles sometimes a half mile, and I stretch my arms if not everyday then it's every other day. Having my dog to walk is my motivation for moving when i feel sick. My mo said on the days after chemo eat whatever I can and on the up week try to eat healthier, right now she wants me to eat as much protein as I can while on chemo, then after chemo a healthier diet. Walking really helps me alot even when I'm so tired I feel like I can't move. You can do this, you are tough.

• Del13

Gamb,, thank you,

• mandamaybe

Maggie me too. I heard from at least three medical sources last week that exercise is key, both physically and mentally - for energy, anxiety, depression, and my gastric issues too. I was told even a 10 minute walk (maybe twice, if I can) will make a big difference. I walked this morning, and have tried some yoga and exercise classes at a local cancer nonprofit. I’m going to make a real effort, and I’m rooting for you too!!

• Del13

Manda,, Perfect, yes!!! Thank you, my acid reflux has been horrible as well, trying to drink at least 8 bottles 16.9oz of water daily, I’m starting tomorrow at least a 10 min walk, then 5 min on exercise bike,, anything I do is better than nothing,, thank you!!!

• ange743
    ange743 Member Posts: 69

I'm in the same boat. I know I need to be doing some sort of exercise, but when it's a struggle to get out of bed some days, it's super hard to convince myself I should also exercise. My mental struggles have kept me very down, but the last few days have been better days, so I'm hoping they continue. Assuming they do, I plan to get on the treadmill (and start it....LOL) every day I am able to, starting tomorrow. I'm not going to set a time or distance goal, my goal is simply to do something, which is more than I have done. I know it might not be doable the first few days after chemo, but I will do my best.

I hope you all are able to find the motivation you are searching for. 😊