Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2019

Comments

• lms458412
    lms458412 Member Posts: 289

Oh, Ange, I do hope you can make it to the workshop tomorrow. I know it will be a struggle to get out there, but you are right that it will make you feel better!

And, I know that you will eventually be brave and get out there in public with a wig or hat or both. We're here for you, cheering you on, paving the way, until you're ready!

• ACchaos
    ACchaos Member Posts: 42

I've been off trying to squeeze the last bits of summer out of my time off. It's blissfully warm in the afternoons.

mandamaybe - my port-less AC was...interesting. They went straight to ultrasound to get a vein. The best was over an inch down, so they went to a secondary option which was still almost half an inch down. The stick was a little hairy, but there was just one, so that was good. It was halfway on my forearm. As far as the infusion went, it wasn't all that different. Not noticably slower, either. But afterwards, I'm totally bruised up - still showing the bruise a full week later. I had planned to continue peripheral infusion if it went well. And while it didn't go badly, it wasn't great. So I'm going back to a port which will hopefully help preserve my veins since I'm kind of black and blue from hand to elbow from the hospitalization and the infusion.

So far, it's be surprisingly good. I'm getting some lip numbness, oddly enough, which I wasn't expecting. No other noticeable neuropathy.

I've been juicing fresh fruits and veggies and going heavy on the fresh ginger in my mixes. Enough so that no one else in the family will drink any of it if I include the ginger before pouring them a glass. So I've taken to juicing the ginger last. In any case, this cycle, the nausea was almost nonexistent. I started each day with a glass of juice and it seemed to settle things down. (It could also have been any of the other things that were in the daily mix - kale, cucumber, cantaloupe, apple, asian pear, carrot, and beets.) I'm hoping it will work again next week for cycle 3.

The other oddness is that I keep forgetting to give myself the Zarxio shots, so they've been haphazardly applied at various times of the day. I'm technically getting the shot daily though, so I'm crossing my fingers that I'm not doing something really bad.

• Floridaliving18
    Floridaliving18 Member Posts: 52

Ac #3 week ago Tuesday. So tired this go around!! Lots of sleeping but wake up early. One more to go hope my strength gains this week for next Tuesday. Everything seems to last longer this go around

Mandamaybe sorry about the hair I just wear scarves around the house. Wig when I go out ,, head stays cold in Ac

LMS glad I don’t have stairs. I had to take the elevator to church on my week off. Sorry you have to cut your hair

Looking forward to last Ac but hope it’s not so long to recovery.

Prayers to you all!!

• Del13
    Del13 Member Posts: 180

I might just make it,, 😳

Hugs to all

• FTM
    FTM Member Posts: 24

Thinking of all you ladies every day. I had a good day today! Prior to cancer I wouldn’t have thought anything good about today in particular but the simple fact that I can get out of bed and carry on with my “normal” life has made today great. Hang in there, better days are coming! Can you imagine how awesome the good days are going to be after chemo

• snaffle53
    snaffle53 Member Posts: 107

First Taxol today. Infusion went well. No adverse reactions. At least not yet. Premedication with steroid went okay. As did steroid included in the IV pre-meds. I get IV Ativan along with it. At that’s what takes me out for the rest of the day. I’m just woosie. I have to be very careful walking around. My balance is not great. Luckily this all wears off.

Marily

• angieb92
    angieb92 Member Posts: 291

FTM - thinking about those good days after chemo is what keeps me going! I’m glad you are having a good, normal day. I don’t think I will ever take them for granted again!

Maggie - I know you will make it!! We all will!!

Snaffle - glad you had an uneventful first Taxol!! Hoping the SEs are very very minimal.

I hope everyone had a good Wednesday!

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 519

LMS

You look great! I may try that style of hat.

Tracy

• tmh0921

Ange

I was anxious about going out a first, but once I got it there it really hasn’t been bad. I’ve not gone out bald, but I only wear my wig at work and it’s beanies everywhere else.

Is going to take a while for our hair to grow back, so at some point I just said screw it.... it is what it is.

Hugs

Tracy

• tmh0921

ACchas

I’m glad to hear the side effects are calming down, I’ve used ginger for my treatments as well. I love ginger, but my family doesn’t. I’ve used ginger capsules, as well as fresh ginger I’ve dehydrated that I put in my drinks.

Trac

• tmh0921

it makes me so happy to see that we all seem overturning a corner and feeling better right now. These last treatments have been rougher on most of us, and it’s cumulative. Hang in there ladies, it’s temporary and we will get back to better days

• ange743
    ange743 Member Posts: 69

Thanks Tracy. I'm a work in progress. The Look Good Feel Better workshop today was so good and I'm so glad I went. I also had a visit from my brother and 3 little nephews (age 4, 2, and 8 months) and boy are they busy. My youngest is almost 16, so I forget sometimes how busy they are at that age. But it was a good day that I had been needing for awhile now and I'm thankful for it.

AC #3 tomorrow. Have to do 4 AC, then 4 taxol. So after tomorrow I'll be 3/4 of the way done AC! My doctor and pharmacist have made yet another change to my meds to hopefully help with the mental side too, so hoping it works. 🤞

I hope you are all doing well. 😊

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570

Hey all getting last a.c. today, yay., mo said 4 dose dense taxol is better for triple negative so now instead of 12 weeks taxol going for 4 dose dense every two weeks, I sure hope this works out for cold therapy, I need to get a cooler to keep things cold for 3 hours while the infusion is going. Hope all are doing great

• lms458412

Good hearing from you, Floridaliving! I still hope we can get together sometime.

Hope your last AC went smoothly today, Gamb!

Glad you made it to the workshop, Ange!

Tracy, I really like this newsboy style. I got it from Headcovers Unlimited. They also sell some of their products through Amazon. I've been pleased with their stuff overall.

• Turkeypoult
    Turkeypoult Member Posts: 27

Regarding the car, DH had a talk with ‘the guy’ and he’s delivering the car here first, so we get to see it together!

Today is day 4 - expected to be bad. However, it has been a high energy, good day! We don’t understand it, but we’ll take it! Worked some with plants, cleaned kitchen cabinets, made dinner! Fading now, but no complaints.

May all of you have surprise days, too!!😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎

• Gamb

Hi all, day 2 of last a.c., woot , doing ok still have my taste buds so far, more tired loving the cooler weather making sure I have enough Cold packs for 3 hours of taxol. Hope all of you fine ladies are doing great

• angieb92
    angieb92 Member Posts: 291

Turkey - yay!! What a great compromise! I’m glad you had a surprise day of feeling good!

Gamb - so glad you’re past AC. Here’s hoping Taxol is a lot friendlier!

I’m leaving soon to see my plastic surgeon for the first time. I still feel woefully unprepared with questions but my surgery isn’t going to be until mid-Feb so I have time. I’m just going in with an open mind and open ears and weight the options later. It’s rainy and cool here today. I’m looking forward to a relaxing Friday night at home. I hope you all have a great day!!

• Brilee76
    Brilee76 Member Posts: 190

Hey guys! I love all of the happy news! I have physical therapy today. Everything went well. I'm still congested but feelin pretty good. 3rd round of TC is next Friday so I have a whole week of feelin good before then! I'm going to see my grand baby tomorrow afternoon. <3 Have a great weekend!

• Floridaliving18
    Floridaliving18 Member Posts: 52

Hi

LMS. Love the hat. I got my wig at wig villa on east colonial. They have a lot of nice ones.

Good luck.

• lms458412

Good to know, Floridaliving. My oncologist gave me a 2-page list awhile back, but I wasn't sure which place would be good to try. I'll check them out next week. I'm definitely going to get a wig for special occasions. I wasn't going to at first, but my insurance covers it, so why not?

• Del13
    Del13 Member Posts: 180

My new best friend!!! image

• Cat029
    Cat029 Member Posts: 24

Had my ultrasound after my 4 AC treatments. They couldn't really tell much on the ultrasound. So not the resounding positive news I was hoping for. Meet with the Oncologist on Monday for next steps, Which should be 12 weeks of Taxol.....

• Gamb

Hi cat hopefully Monday you will have better news,,praying for you, praying for all of us.

1John 5:14 "This is the confidence we have in approaching God, that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us".

Be still and let God.

• Gamb

Hey all been quite here, I hope everyone is doing good, im doing ok, day 4 of last a.c., so far side effects have been bareable. By Wednesday hopefully I will be over the worse of it

• lms458412

I'm still here! I started feeling a lot better, so I've been hanging out with my family and doing chores. Then, yesterday, I ate something that a friend made for me and I've been sick all night with stomach cramps and gas. Same friend cooked for us last month and my husband was sick after that meal. We love our friends, but we're never eating their food again!

So, just sitting around with a sour tummy right now, just hoping I feel better soon or else I'll have to call it in, just to be safe.

• Gamb

oh wow LMS don't blame you for not wanting to eat their cooking after that,,I hope everything settles down for you, sucks feeling better then a set back

• lms458412

Thanks, Gamb. Well, to put it nicely, my body eliminated a lot of stuff in the past few hours, so I'm feeling a lot better now. Still in bed, but on the mend.

• Gamb

LMS that's good to hear, the human body is amazing,,scary sometimes but amazing

• snaffle53
    snaffle53 Member Posts: 107

Things did not go as planned post first Taxol treatment. Friday I could feel pain under my left jaw. No swelling though. So did not react to it. Sunday, woke up with totally blown up lymph node along my left jawline.

Called it in. And was told to go to ER. They admitted me, even though I spent first 36 hours of my stay in the ER. Hospital packed to the gills. Got into a room on the medical floor this afternoon. I know I’m spending at least another night in the hospital.

They have me on mega antibiotics and fluids. Hemoglobin is low. Don’t know how that will complicate things. I’m not sure they know the cause. Just treating the infection.

I may get discharged tomorrow. Don’t know yet. I’ll keep you posted

• Gamb

Snaffle hope things turn out better for you soon, God bless