Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Starting Chemo September 2019

Options

Comments

• Monkey0299
    Monkey0299 Member Posts: 28
    Options

I also want to thank everyone for posting hair pics. It has been very helpful for me to see. I truly apologize for not posting my own hair pics, but my hair looks insane. I cold-capped without much success, but I still do have small chunks of longer brown hair coupled with the crazy new, short gray hair. I would feel more comfortable, frankly, if it was all one length, so I wear my wig every day. I didn't lose all of my lashes or brows, but what I did lose does not seem to be returning as quickly.

Blue Coconut, I was very worried about my hair growth too. I was definitely past the 4 week PFC before I noticed any growth, but now it seems to be growing very well. Some of my new hair was super-fine and gray, so it was almost invisible and I couldn't feel it. It is very stressful until you see those first signs of hair growth.

I am taking Pure hair/skin/nails ultra capsules twice a day. Not sure if it is helping, but it's not hurting, so I will comtinue for awhile.

Jodi

• BlueCoconut
    BlueCoconut Member Posts: 12
    Options

Oh! I forgot to mention that about 7 of my fingernails and 1 of my toenails are coming off. The toe doesn't hurt but the fingers do. I've been dealing with that for the last 2 weeks...I don't know how long it's going to take til they grow back. The nails are detached for the most part but not completely, so I'm just holding them in place with bandaids. You never realize how much you use your fingernails until you can’t!

• ACchaos
    ACchaos Member Posts: 42
    Options

Four weeks PFC and my fingertips are finally feeling much better. I was really starting to stress that the Taxol SE's would be permanent. I managed to do some knitting for the first time in several weeks. I had stopped because not feeling the yarn and needles was making it really difficult.

I also got some great news. My PS had a cancellation and they were able to schedule me for a March 11 DIEP flap surgery. Which is huge - I was dreading waiting until summer and having things drag on. Of course we had come to grips with the delayed surgery and started making plans and now all that is up in the air. But totally worth it!!

Hugs to everyone - it's sunny for the first time in days and reading everyone's progress is making me really optimistic for the new year.

• angieb92
    angieb92 Member Posts: 291
    Options

AC - good news all around!!!! So happy that you are seeing positive results! I am envious that you can knit. I’m going to teach myself how. I’m left-handed so it makes for a challenge.

I hope everyone is having a good Monday. It’s actually sunny and mild here in Arkansas so I took a walk during my work break. It’s nice to get a bit of fresh air

• Patty66
    Patty66 Member Posts: 45
    Options

Hi Ladies,

Love reading all the updates on recovery and hair growth!

Going into the hospital for surgery on Friday, one-sided lumpectomy. Hope they will get the bad guys without issues.

No hair and very little eyelashes at soon 5 weeks pfc but hearing from y’all I am hopeful for the near future.

Keep up the good spirits

• lms458412
    lms458412 Member Posts: 289
    Options

Thinking of you today, BlueCoconut. Hope surgery goes smoothly with good results!

Patty66, I hope your surgery goes well on Friday!

Speedy recovery to everyone healing!!!!!

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 519
    Options

BlueCoconut - Good luck and speedy recovery on your surgery!

Patty - Good luck and speedy recovery on your surgery on Friday.

ACchaos - I'm glad your surgery was moved up! I'm wishing you well!

I have 3 more TE fills over the next 3-4 weeks, then I'll be scheduling my exchange and revision surgery. Surgery will most likely be in late February or early March.

• snaffle53
    snaffle53 Member Posts: 107
    Options

Prayers for everyone having surgery. This will be my next step too. I see the BS tomorrow. As it will be three weeks since finishing chemo, I expect a surgery date soon. I hope my surgeon is on board with BMX and flat closure. I’ll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Going in for fluids today. Still trying to flush this chemo from my system. Neuropathy still bad. And no hair growth yet. I’m anxiously awaiting some sprouts! Marily

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570
    Options

Hi all, prayers going up for all the surgeries happening. I am 5 weeks out this Thursday , and I have peach fuzz all over my head and starting to get stuble on my legs. I enjoy all the hair pics!! Very encouraging. Seems like it has been the fall and winter of our discontent, hopefully we all will have surgeries behind us, chemo behind us for the most part, looking forward always. Here is to the pixie queens of spring!!!!lol

• angieb92
    Options

Blue Coconut and Patty - hope everything went well with surgery and your recovery is smooth!

Snaffle - I hope you get some good information/news today with your BS today.

Gamb - yay for the peach fuzz!!

Have a great Tuesday everyone! ❤️

• BlueCoconut
    BlueCoconut Member Posts: 12
    Options

Hi all! My surgery went well. It was on Tuesday morning, and took about 5 hours. I was released to go home Wednesday afternoon. It’s a little after midnight into Thursday morning now and I’m feeling pretty good. Pain has been controlled with oxycodone, Tylenol, and first Toradol while in the hospital and now ibuprofen at home.

After surgery, I had some nausea and gagging and dry heaves which wasn’t fun but only happened when I was moving so as long as I was still I was ok, and then it passed.

I had crazy blue pee lol.

I had a BMX with reconstruction and tissue expanders placed. I have 4 drains. They did a Sentinel node biopsy and only had to take 3 nodes so I’m pretty excited by that. Of course it all depends on final pathology, which I should have by Friday, but I’m optimistic that they won’t need to take any more nodes.

It feels good to now have both chemo and surgery behind me. I think I will have to have radiation...hoping those side effects won’t be terrible. I’ve had great care from all my doctors and I am so grateful to all of them.

We’ve all been through so much this last few months and I hope we’re all about to start truly healing and recovering and Spring will bring us all fresh starts

• ange743
    ange743 Member Posts: 69
    Options

Blue Coconut - Awesome to hear that your surgery went well. Mine is today. Freaking out a bit, but trying to trust in the process.

Love seeing all the hair pictures and hearing everyone's progress. Keep it coming.

I hope you're all doing well. 😊

• Brilee76
    Brilee76 Member Posts: 190
    Options

Congratulations BlueCoconut! Praying for a speedy recovery for you!

Prayin for you today too, ange! 🙏 💪

• Gamb
    Options

Bluecoconut and Ange, wish you both a speedy recovery!

• angieb92
    Options

BlueCoconut - so good to hear all is well and you are home!

Ange - Good luck today! You’ve got this!!

• snaffle53
    snaffle53 Member Posts: 107
    Options

Wishing Bluecoconut and Ange an uneventful recovery.

I got the date of my surgery today. I will be having a BMX without reconstruction on February 25th.

In the meantime I’m getting some PT for the neuropathy in my feet.

Marilyn

• ange743
    ange743 Member Posts: 69
    Options

Just checking in. Surgery went well yesterday. I won't find out how many lymph nodes she took and their status until pathology comes back in a week or two. Pain is being controlled and I hope to go home today. Next step is to get my darn hair growing!

I hope you are all doing well. 😊

• Gamb
    Options

Ange, glad surgery went well and you are on your way to recovery.

• angieb92
    Options

Snaffle - good news on your surgery date!!

ange - glad everything went well!!

• lms458412
    Options

Thinking of you today, Patty66. Hope your surgery goes smoothly!

Glad your surgery went well, BlueCoconut! I hope your pathology report is good news!

Ange, so glad surgery went well. Take it easy and I hope your pathology report is good news as well!

Glad you got a surgery date, Snaffle.

• lms458412
    Options

Today Floridaliving18 (Christi) and I (Leah) got together in REAL LIFE!!!

We live about 30 minutes apart, so we met about halfway to have breakfast together and spent THREE HOURS talking! It was so fantastic to meet in person and learn about each other and share our experiences. We're going to meet up again to celebrate when we're done with rads.

Here we are:

• Gamb
    Options

Lms, so glad you guys got to meet, both of you ladies are gorgeous, beautiful smiles.

• lms458412
    Options

Thanks Gamb!

Everyone here has an open invitation - if you're ever in the Orlando area, I'd love to meet up. Just let me know.

• Brilee76
    Options

Happy that your surgery went well ange!

You guys look like you had a great time Christi and Leah!

I forgot to post my Friday update so here ya go a day late! 10 weeks PFC: I have my post op appointment on Monday and plan to go back to work when I get done there. Next surgery is in March for reconstruction revision. I hope you guys have a great weekend!

• lms458412
    Options

Wow! Still getting fantastic growth, Bridget!

I forgot to do my hair update this week. I'll get to it eventually! Or maybe just skip a week...I feel like not much has changed. I think because it's so straight and flat, when I used to have curly hair. It's so different!

• Patty66
    Patty66 Member Posts: 45
    Options

Thanks for thinking about me - surgery went well. Now, of course, gotta wait for pathology report, too.

Hope we all get perfect results.

Please keep those hairy pictures coming. I also draw my hope from them while not a fluff in sight yet.

Hope y’all have a relaxing weekend

• angieb92
    Options

Christi and Leah you both look great!!! What an awesome opportunity to meet up and chat!

Bridget - love the hair growth!!!

• Brilee76
    Options

I just wanted to stop and and let you ladies know I'm thinking about you. I'm back at work. I hope you're all having a lovely day. ❤

• lms458412
    Options

Glad to hear that you're well enough to go back to work, Bridget!

All is well here. My hair is still growing. My eyebrows and eyelashes are starting to come back, too. (I'll do a hair update in a couple of days). My energy level is pretty good, even though the Zoladex is giving me lots of hot flashes to deal with.

I started radiation today. I had my first of 16 treatments. It went well, although I'm one of those rare people who felt the treatment as they did it. My husband says I'm freaky sensitive. I could tell exactly what areas they treated in which order. The techs looked at me like I was nuts. Maybe I am? LOL! It didn't hurt. It felt like a tiny bit of air blowing on my skin. So weird.

Anyways, in 3 weeks, I will be done with rads. All that's left is liposuction and scar revision on my sides, plus the hormonal therapy. And, if my scans are clear, my port will be removed and I can focus on healing with healthy food and exercise and good sleep.

• Gamb
    Options

Hello everyone, I hope all you beautiful ladies are doing great. I have hair that I can now see, sweet, it looks brownish grey, and it feels baby soft.My eyebrows are coming back, and they are black, my eyelashes are coming in also, but they are a light color right now. I'm doing 20 minutes on treadmill 6 days a week and have started lifting light weights, by mid February I hope to be up to 30 minutes treadmill and whatever activities I have outside, now I am trying to clean up my diet, not going to easy, I seem to have developed a massive sweet tooth...lol